Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you say mum, mom, mam or ma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

mom
    dude
    awesome
    like wow
    epic
    epic fail
    lol
    oh my god (omg)
    other little annoying americanisms that are working their way into our way of communicating like a disease.

You sad lot. Just be yourself, be irish, stop trying to sound like the media whore-creatures that you see in that stomach churning program The hills.

I once seen the irish version of this show gay street...sorry i mean Fade street, all i can say is i don't consider the people in this program irish. They are some sort or anglo/american/west brit hybrid fakey phoney overly emotional cry-on-cue type things.

Truely embarrassing.

Would you rather everyone went around muchin on potatoes and wearing aran jumpers?

Or is it walking around in tracksuits with one legged tucked into your socks that you prefer?

What exactly do you think is 'Irish'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

My problem with people calling their mother "mom" is that they probably didn't call her that 10 years ago.

You don't start changing the name you've always called your mother. You just don't :p

You're wrong on both counts. I and at least one of my friends refer to the women who gave birth to us as 'Mom'. In fact, my own mother - who's in her 70s and wouldn't know The Hills if Audrina kicked her up the bum - will enquire of young people, 'How's Mom?' In the instance of my friend who also calls her mother 'Mom', she is a native speaker, and that is how the familiar form of 'Mother' is pronounced. Oh, and our habits date back further than 10 years.

In the second instance, we often change how we address our mothers as we age. Do you not remember changing 'Mammy' to 'Mam' after the first one of your friends made the transition in NS?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I say mom because that's what my mom taught me to call her as a child. :confused: She'd hardly be able to name an American show to save her life. Mom is just what she wants to be called so that's what we call her. I know more people who say mom than mam.

I find Mum takes a lot more effort to say. I'll very occasionally say mam but mom is what comes naturally to me.

I don't see why it should matter to other people what anyone calls their mother...You're not better than me just because you say ''mam'' or ''ma'' and I'm not better than you just because I say mom. It's just a word, no need to read so much into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

juma wrote: »
    Since I'm not an inner city Dublin scumbag still struggling with the English language I never say "ma" when referring to my Mom.

You might think your high and mighty saying Mom and feeling superior by judging people who use the colloquial term Ma.. buy you're more of a muppet in reality!
    I say Ma..i'm not from inner city Dublin and I have a great command of the English language.

I hate your attitude! F*ckin hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Tails142 wrote: »
    Would you rather everyone went around muchin on potatoes and wearing aran jumpers?

Or is it walking around in tracksuits with one legged tucked into your socks that you prefer?

Yeah i'd rather that^ than hearing irish people saying dude every 5 seconds. I think us irish are kind of cool in our own way, we don't need to mimic other cultures, we have plenty of our own culture.

It just sounds so so sad in a i-wanna-be-a-weed smoking-baggy jean wearing-californian-surfer sort of way.

Aww dude!

???fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I don't think its an Americanism. I live in Cork and from my experience it's a class thing. Working class people seem to say mam , middle class tend to opt for mom.

Neither bother me at all.

I don't know anybody who says mammy (thankfully).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

My whole year in secondary school used to take the piss out of me and imitate me calling my mother my "mom", took two years for me to find out about it as well.

Pathetic the things that people will pick on.

I was born in Africa, lived there until I was 10. Clearly I must have picked it up there. My mother never minded though, she hates being called ma/mam/mammy

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I typically refer to mine as "FEMALE PROGENITOR", or "YOU WITH THE GAMETES". We occasionally acknowledge each other's continued existence through the exchange of moderate-sentiment greeting cards. We have a very close relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Who cares? Who cares about Americanisms?

DO you think my great great granddaddy during the famine was teased caused strayed from the Irish "a mham" to the Hiberno-English "mam"?

Seriously, it's only a word. People are free to speak how they want, you don't have to listen or pay them any heed. Get over it!

And FYI, I refer to her as "Mammy", "Mam", "the oul doll" or plain old "Bridie" depending.

Note: Apologies if I'm using incorrect grammar or spelling. Very tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that most Irish motherrs say 'MOM', I have noticed a MOM trend in the Irish media circles, and recently at the Baby fair in the RDS there were signs up for MOMs & Dad's, and even on Boards.ie there is a massive insistance on MOM, but out and about all I hear is Mum, Mam, Mummy, or even 'Mammy' (which always reminds me of Al Jolson) :)

This goes with the increase in BATHROOMs where previously stood TOILETs. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

FFS who give a sh1t anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This goes with the increase in BATHROOMs where previously stood TOILETs. :rolleyes:

Americans are terrified of the word "toilet" it's quite amusing sometimes. In general signage in Ireland says "toilet". A bathroom really should have a bath!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Mom is the default in the part of Kerry I'm from and has been since my childhood 25 years ago.

Feck off, OP :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Its Mum to me, Ma/Mammy/Mam for the proles, Mom is a mild compromise, perhaps a lottery winner from a shady background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

In our house we generally said Mom. I have a sister in a rural primary school and she says "Mammy". My brother used the term "Mommy" into his teens :O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JackieBurkhart

I'm Kerry & it's always been Mom.

tbh Mammy/Mummy/Mum sounds childish to me.

OP and others irritated by 'Mom' - what age demographic are the people who use this term? What area of the country are they from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I'm Kerry & it's always been Mom.

tbh Mammy/Mummy/Mum sounds childish to me.

OP and others irritated by 'Mom' - what age demographic are the people who use this term? What area of the country are they from?

Hi Kerry,how are you doing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

clap.....

....clap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Biggins wrote: »
    Who cares - at least you might have one to call that!
    Others might not be so lucky so appreciate it that you can!

Word of widsom there Biggins!!! I always say Mammy, but that's just me, and I do wish she was still here to call her... well anything really:(

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

Borrowed a lads phone to make a call once.
    His mother was under Mummikins............

True story .......he's 19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

FFS who give a sh1t anyway

The poor mams who have to listen to their kids accents becoming increasingly mid-atlantic:( (and believe me I've limited tv as much as i can.. we only have the 4 channels!)

I've noticed it quite a bit here in galway and as the Kerry poster pointed out its been around there for yonks...wonder if it has to do more with the shortening of Mamaí than an american thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Anything less than ''aul hag'' is too posh for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

and stop using 'chav'.

it's knacker/scumbag/scober/skanger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Having been educated in the classics my natural name for my mother is '' Mater '' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Why do Dublin people call their Fathers "Da"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

We lost our soul when Irish people ordering sandwiches swapped "could I have" for "can I get".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Honestly who gives a fúck what other people call their mothers? There's nothing wrong with calling your Mother, mom. Just because you call her mam doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Can you not think of a better thread to post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

CorkMan wrote: »
    Why do Dublin people call their Fathers "Da"?

It's short for dad. You really werent able to work that out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Remember Jedward getting a dressing down from Simon Cowell for speaking with American accents? Sadly I think T.V. has done it, along with Youtube and a host of other media. I've also noticed people beginning to spell English words in the American way ('color' etc.)

Slightly OT, but the one Americanization I love is installing XP. You change the location from America to Ireland. Then it still thinks you want the U.S.A. for the keyboard. I fully expect a dialog box to pop up saying "You know you f*****g want the U.S.A." when you want to change it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

ejmaztec wrote: »

That's the creepiest thing I've ever seen!

Advertisement