Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you say mum, mom, mam or ma

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's a genuinely Irish pronunciation. In Irish language, the way you pronounce "mam" is "mom", "mamaí": "mommy". My friend's mother is a gaeilgeoir from the wilds of north-west Cork and whenever I see her she asks me re my mother: "How's Mom?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I've said 'mom' since I was a child. Don't see the big deal. As far as I know most of my friends always called their mother 'mom' too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

It may come as a surprise but language has been changing constantly over the last few thousand years and shows no sign of stopping any time soon. Whats the big deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Hows your aul one?

Gameball

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

It may come as a surprise but language has been changing constantly over the last few thousand years and shows no sign of stopping any time soon. Whats the big deal?

That was fine up until the year the OP was born, but now it has to stop!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

truth be told i dont really say mam to get her attention (i throw something!)

just kidding - but we do throw happy insults at each other. people usually sit by is amazement at the likes of it :D

if someone says 'who's that?' i might say ''shes the tree. im the close falling apple' just to keep it interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Dont know about the rest of yiz but,

I say, Your Mom! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

ejmaztec wrote: »

My god that was strange.

People must have been really, really easy to entertain 100 years ago.

And the Black Face bit? ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭CommuterIE

amdublin wrote: »
    What's wrong with mother/mam/mammy/ma like we used to always say??

Why are people starting this american sh1t and saying Mom??

I was in a thread in Legal Discussions yesterday: Mom
    Personal Issues today: Mom

Very irritating.

Edit.
    Mum is also okay. If you are posh.

They sound knackerish

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

hondasam wrote: »
    what's wrong with mom ?

She's gone Sam. She's gone and she's not coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Ye can take yer "mom"'s and yer "awesome"'s and fúck right off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

saw a young cousin post on their fb staus last night - awesum.
    spelt like that too - its like watching a language die:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Biggins wrote: »
    Who cares - at least you might have one to call that!
    Others might not be so lucky so appreciate it that you can!

I can never understand the need to call one's mother and father by anything other than their names.

Hate to hear a big man refer to a littly elderly woman as 'mammy'
    Hearing some parents call each other 'mammy' and 'daddy' makes me grind my teeth.

But it's a free country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Aishae wrote: »

Facebook status are unbelievable for spelling and such,people I know who are on computers still use text speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I was having a conversation with a woman (from Kerry) who asked the very same question, except her ire was directed at 'mum', and she was asking what's wrong with mam/mom/ma. For her, 'mom' is normal, as she's Irish speaking and it sounds closest to the Kerry Irish. She was claiming 'mum' was the big evil generic name (this time coming from Britain).

Point is, unless you changed how you addressed your 'mother' (except maybe from 'mammy') what you call her is what is natural to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I called my mother "mammy" when I was small, then it suddenly morphed to Mum... occasionally Mam in memory of the mammy days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I use mom.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Aishae wrote: »

Or a language evolve. Spellings change over time as well as new words being created. If anything, it's a great sign that English is moving with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

amdublin wrote: »
    What is with Irish people calling their mother MOM???
    I'd feel awfully confused if I called here "Dad".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I use mum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I have always said Mam. Mammy when I 5 and under........and then Mam from there-on. I once came home from primary school aged six and hearing other kids using the word Mom, attempted it. But that didnt last more than one attempt and I was quickly converted back to mam again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

Ross from Friends: Mommy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Yeah i'd rather that^ than hearing irish people saying dude every 5 seconds. I think us irish are kind of cool in our own way, we don't need to mimic other cultures, we have plenty of our own culture.

It just sounds so so sad in a i-wanna-be-a-weed smoking-baggy jean wearing-californian-surfer sort of way.

Aww dude!

???fcuk off.

Have to agree with this, if I hear the words epic, dude, man, awesome, one more time.......it's head wrecking. A lot of friends will also reply to messages with Hey CHICK. So annoying.

Ive nothing against language progression either. But it's annoying to see our own linguistic characteristics being replaced with American English all the same. And thats not embracing pure Irish tradition. I just find it bizarre to hear people talking like that and frankly its irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Anyone here call their parents by their first name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

Kojak wrote: »
    Thats not right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Kojak wrote: »

i do if i'm talking about them, eg to my siblings, but not when talking to them

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Confab wrote: »
    I use mom.

That's mean. What do you use her for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Jeebus H Christ I hate these stupid threads. Where I'm from is near to a large Gaeltacht area in Kerry, every single person I knew growing up said Mom, because it comes from the Irish, Mamaí, a Mham, which has the same sound as the "o" in Mom. My friend who grew up in the Gaeltacht says Mom whether she's speaking English or Irish, and my dad and all his siblings call their 90 year old mother Mom since forever, and they didn't even have a tv never mind watch enough to know about American culture.

Don't get me started on Mammy, my God, it just conjures images of Brenda Fricker beside a stove with a pot of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

i say mom sometimes...but usually when im talking about other peoples mothers.. but i dont do it that often its just by accident!! i get given out to about it when i do!! but it is completely by accident!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

hondasam wrote: »
    what's wrong with mom ?

**** say Mom, to be fair. It's an Americanism. It shows the paucity of our culture when we have to ape a foreign country. Mum is also the preserve of the wanker. Their use shows further evidence of the deep seated self loathing we have for ourselves through the denial of Hiberno-English.

In Ireland it's Mam or Mammy.

Advertisement