Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amir Khan v Paul McCloskey - Manchester, April 16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, and Hatton and Khan are so so similar?:confused:

sorry dont see much similarities there

How is Hatton ten times the fighter Khan is? Don't attempt to say he is a better boxer. Brawler? Yes. Boxer, not a hope. Apart from chin, where is Hatton superior?

Hatton hardly lit the world on fire, and this from someone who liked watching the guy in his heyday. Khan is still only 24, he has years to go if he keeps focused and committed ad improves. His only real weakness is the chin.

Hatton was 27 or so whe he hit he heights and beat Tsyzu. Khan has at least two years to beter this, and already he is one of the top JWW in the world.

hatton didnt light the world on fire?? im sorry again but although i was never a huge fan i still would of regarded hatton as one of the big draws at the time, when a hatton fight was coming up you would know about it, khan wouldnt have half the pulling power hatton had. i dont think khan has much more improvement in him as ive said before imo hes come more or less as far as he can, the only thing he can add now is experience. and for his only weakness being his chin.. thats one big weakness woudlnt you think??

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

No offense, but I think some of you are underestimating JMM's talents slightly. I know he's gotten older, but he still has it. The Floyd fight was a missmatch because of the massive size difference, coupled with the calibre of opponent he faced, so I wouldn't rely on that as a marker. I think his masterful counter punching would give Khan unreal problems. Khan strikes me as being a little one dimensional in attack. He throws fast combinations and that's about it. You wouldn't say he's a massive puncher. JMM has faced slightly faster, stronger and less conventional opposition than Khan in Manny, twice, and got a draw in the first fight. Some would he say he won the 2nd fight. Add to that his experience. He's a wiley old veteran now. If they fought next week I think JMM would beat the snot out of him to be honest, size disadvantage or not. So that's why I'm saying that for now, Khan needs to gain experience and confidence taking out solid challenges like Urango, Peterson and Brook, et al. I mean, he barely scraped by Maidana and he's nowhere near the level of a JMM or Floyd. But like Boooourns said there, he's only 24. He'll improve a lot in the coming years I'm sure. I still don't think he'll ever be at the level of a Manny or Floyd though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

hatton didnt light the world on fire?? im sorry again but although i was never a huge fan i still would of regarded hatton as one of the big draws at the time, when a hatton fight was coming up you would know about it, khan wouldnt have half the pulling power hatton had. i dont think khan has much more improvement in him as ive said before imo hes come more or less as far as he can, the only thing he can add now is experience. and for his only weakness being his chin.. thats one big weakness woudlnt you think??

What has popularity or pulling power got to do with it?

Strictly speaking of boxing, I wouldn't say Hatton is ten times the fighter.
    He is not, nor ever was, a boxer. He was a brawler. I liked him at peak, but he was not a great boxer.

Khan is not perfect, I never said he was, but he is a very skilled fighter/boxer. You don't get to win Olympic silver (aged only 17) if not, and then go on to beat Mario Kindelan, one of the best amateurs of all time.

We all know that Khan's chin let him down. That was 3 1/2 years ago.

No disrespect to JMM, but if he is going to beat you at aged 38 when you are 24/25 and bigger (and claimimg to be great), then you really need to think how great you are.

Like I said, Khan's combination of size and speed are all wrong for JMM, despite JMM being a very effective counter puncher. Khan will present a whole lot more trouble than Katsidis or Juan Diaz. He will be blinding JMM from the first bell. Khan's reach (weird long arms) and speed will be the big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I think he'll beat Bradley, that'll essentially mean he rules the 140 division, he'll jump up to Welterweight quickly after, looking for a big fight against Mayweather or Manny which will be a stupid idea, he'll get beaten, convincingly and it'll dent his career.

If he stays at 140 a bit longer, fights Alexander possibly and maybe Victor Ortiz and Judah he'll have a relatively decent claim to being the king of the division... and a fighter of worth. Then in around two years time, move up when he has the experience and build to be a star at 147

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Boooourns

are you for real khan would trouble mayweather!! khan wouldnt get near mayweather. hatton was 10 times the fighter khan is and he couldnt do it so why on earth would anybody think khan could trouble him. im starting to think half of these posts are coming from khans family

Don't know where you get the idea Hatton is 10 times the boxer Khan is, that is just a bizzare statement. Khan is already a belt holder at LWelter with the possiblilty of being the outright champion which Hatton was.
    Hatton tried himself at Welter and was found out that he just didn't have the actual boxing skills, he should have been beaten by Collazo before he even got near Mayweather.
    Khan on the other hand has the boxing skills to certaintly be a contender at Welter, i agree with Tolietfusion that he should learn his trade a bit more before moving up but without doubt he has the skills and speed to go very far at Welter (if he can handle a Welterweights punch that is).
    I still think he troubles Mayweather btw, he loses but he'd do better than expected.

I'll still be still shouting for McCloskey by the way :D

• Advertisement

Boooourns wrote: »
    Don't know where you get the idea Hatton is 10 times the boxer Khan is, that is just a bizzare statement. Khan is already a belt holder at LWelter with the possiblilty of being the outright champion which Hatton was.

i didnt say boxer i said fighter. at least walshb distinguished that point.

I still think he troubles Mayweather btw, he loses but he'd do better than expected.

he wouldnt trouble mayweather in 10 years time.
    I'll still be still shouting for McCloskey by the way :D

good to know i thought there was a conspiracy against irish boxers on on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Boooourns

good to know i thought there was a conspiracy against irish boxers on on this site

Fair enough about Hatton and Khan, i just responded straight to your post.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree about Khan as you really don't rate him that highly and i do. The future will sort out who's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 James Ford

No question he's good, but I wouldn't go as far as 'brilliant'. And when you say Superstar, you're talking Manny and Floyd territory. I really don't think he'll ever reach that level. His speed should see him through against Timothy Bradley if they fight after Mcloskey, but there's plenty of challenges out there for him. He was talking about fighting Juan Manuel Marquez at one point, and Floyd was mentioned too. Either would take him to school. Definitely getting a little ahead of himself there. He needs to be looking at the likes of Victor Ortiz, Kell Brook, Lamont Peterson, Juan Urango and Zab Judah for now. They're all more akin to his level, and most of them provide a challenge he wouldn't be assured of overcoming. A lot of people think he's well on the way to becoming one of the top names in the sport, but I just don't see it.

Pound for pound, Marquez is a better fighter than Khan is, and maybe will ever be. But Khan is a big LWW, I wouldn't give Marquez much chance against him at 140. Khan would be too quick, and Marquez at 140 would not be able to time him and get his shots off.

Having said that, Marquez is one of my favourite fighters, I'd watch him ahead of Khan every day of the week.

Boooourns wrote: »
    Fair enough about Hatton and Khan, i just responded straight to your post.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree about Khan as you really don't rate him that highly and i do. The future will sort out who's right.

ah we wont fall out over it lol:D

James Ford wrote: »
    Pound for pound, Marquez is a better fighter than Khan is, and maybe will ever be. But Khan is a big LWW, I wouldn't give Marquez much chance against him at 140. Khan would be too quick, and Marquez at 140 would not be able to time him and get his shots off.

Having said that, Marquez is one of my favourite fighters, I'd watch him ahead of Khan every day of the week.

I dunno I think it would be a competitive enough fight, regardless of how old he is, his counter punching ability is frighteningly accurate...

• Advertisement

I dunno I think it would be a competitive enough fight, regardless of how old he is, his counter punching ability is frighteningly accurate...

Thing is, against Khan, he will be meeting much faster shots, plus, Khan's range, size and long arams will make it more difficult for JMM to be in range to counter effectively. Size and speed here will be too much, oh, and youth and the fact that Khan can keep a very good pace for 36 mins. And, I don't believe that JMM has the natural power to dent Khan.

Khan has all the natural advantages alright, but I don't make much of his defense, I think Marquez would bide his time bring Khan onto him and counter quickly...

Khan would try to pepper him with combinations, keep him at arms length but it'd be up to Marquez to get within his reach and counter appropriately...

I still think Khan wins, but it'd be an interesting fight to watch for sure.

Khan has all the natural advantages alright, but I don't make much of his defense, I think Marquez would bide his time bring Khan onto him and counter quickly...

Khan would try to pepper him with combinations, keep him at arms length but it'd be up to Marquez to get within his reach and counter appropriately...

I still think Khan wins, but it'd be an interesting fight to watch for sure.

Hey, JMM is so experienced and cool and skillful, that he could make it decent, but I see him losing a decision here, or maybe by TKO. He will have his moments, but I see a 8-4 type decision for Khan. P4P, which I am not a fan of, then JMM chances rise significantly. Khan is still a very difficult man to out box, he has shown this in all fights, and in the amateurs. He has the speed and boxing ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Macklin, Kavanagh and Murray added to undercard

http://boxing-ireland.com/20110316_mccloskey_khan_undercard_67.html

Nice few additions to the card...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Great additions! Macklin is in for a tough tough fight. He had 2 significant fights fall through, one domestically in Barker, and the winky fight fell through twice and is coming off a bad performance when he last fought with a chest infection.
    Hopefully he gets by Gevor unscratched and gets a crack at a world title. I dont think it even matters which one it is if it isnt Martinez. A world title will brings a lot to the negotiating table which will do him the world of good.
    Murray has a tough but winnable fight in Higginson, his name escaped me at first but i seen him fight for the english title last year. Tough ambitious opponent for Murray. Then we have Kavanagh and of course McLoskey. Think I heard Jamie Conlon would be on the bill as well with Logan McGuiness defending his NABA title in Canada the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

I'd love to see paul put up a decent fight against kahn - all the brits seem to be writing it off as a complete mismatch so I'd love to see McCloskey prove them wrong and give kahn a real tough night.

As for kahn fighting Mayweather/pac/marquez. Well I've yet to see kahn put in a really super impressive performance - the likes of which floyd and manny put in routinely - he's put in some good ones alright but nothing to convince me he'd have even the remotest chance against floyd or manny. Marquez though is a different matter, he is small and his best days are behind him - I'd say kahn would be the big favourite in that fight.

Macklin, Kavanagh and Murray added to undercard

http://boxing-ireland.com/20110316_mccloskey_khan_undercard_67.html

lovely stuff i cant wait for that, should be a good night think ill dust off the oul drinkin boots that night and have a few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

I'd love to see paul put up a decent fight against kahn - all the brits seem to be writing it off as a complete mismatch so I'd love to see McCloskey prove them wrong and give kahn a real tough night.

As for kahn fighting Mayweather/pac/marquez. Well I've yet to see kahn put in a really super impressive performance - the likes of which floyd and manny put in routinely - he's put in some good ones alright but nothing to convince me he'd have even the remotest chance against floyd or manny. Marquez though is a different matter, he is small and his best days are behind him - I'd say kahn would be the big favourite in that fight.

He should put up a good fight flashman,because he is a good fighter, unless he lets the occasion get to which is entirely a possiblty..

Khan won't fight Mayweather or pac until they are on the decline, Khan doesn't do fighters in their prime, he even admitted that himself which is a great shame for boxing in general

The only difference I see there is, most boxers fight the big names on the wane, just most are not stupid enough to admit it.

It's the way boxing works, you fight a legend that has massive drawing power but is now a beatable opponent. You get massive recognition and use it as a building block. You become the draw, you get old and some young guy wants to make his name by knocking you out. Rinse and Repeat.

• Advertisement

ye it usually pans out that way its a pity, and even if its not down to that it breaks down over money. some of them could do with forgetting the money and just realising what it means to be world champion

For all ya'll interest in getting tickets for the Afterparty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcisnC0VlHA

sorry for gettin off topic lads but not cant go to the mc closkey fight as much as id love to due to family commitments, but as an alternitive anybody know where ye might get tickets for klitchko v haye in germany?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Random question but do people think I'd have any trouble bringing in the Irish flag? I'm not in the specific 'McCloskey' section, just bought my tickets through Ticketmaster. I don't think I'll having any problems but just asking for opinions really.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Random question but do people think I'd have any trouble bringing in the Irish flag? I'm not in the specific 'McCloskey' section, just bought my tickets through Ticketmaster. I don't think I'll having any problems but just asking for opinions really.

No, I doubt there will be any issue whatsoever.

I wouldn't fault anyone for wanting to display their Irish
    affections. But, emblems, jerseys or anything else
    that makes a person conspicuous can be dangerous, particularly
    when AWAY from home. It wouldn't be so bad in the 02
    or Croker, but this bout is in England, and you just don't know
    who is watching who. More than likely it should be ok, but I would
    rather be sitting watching the fight completely comfortable, as opposed
    to wondering if their is some scum element targeting me because of
    my ethnicity. And it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

walshb wrote: »
    I wouldn't fault anyone for wanting to display their Irish
    affections. But, emblems, jerseys or anything else
    that makes a person conspicuous can be dangerous, particularly
    when AWAY from home. It wouldn't be so bad in the 02
    or Croker, but this bout is in England, and you just doin't know
    who is watching who. More than likely it should be ok, but I would
    rather be sitting watching the fight completely comfortable, as opposed
    to wondering if their is some scum element targeting me because of
    my ethnicity. Ad it does happen.

Fully understand you point and can agree with it. However I feel comfortable enough, having lived in England for past 4 years, that it wouldn't be an issue for 99% of Englishmen. I just wasn't sure what the situation was in terms of security at the venue and whether they'd be iffy with me displaying the flag given that I'm not in the area specifically designated for McCloskey fans.

I suppose in that sense it's no different to wearing a football shirt in public. There'll always be people who dislike something about you and then some who dislike it so much that they feel the need to get agressive. Personally I just don't worry about things like that. Maybe that's a bad thing but it's just how I have lived my life.

Thanks both of you for your views :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Went to the Haye fight in the last year in the M.E.N and a guy wasnt allowed in for wearing a united jersey. So it may be in their policy but maybe just stick it in a jacket pocket and see if ya can get away with it in there. worst case scenario they take it off you.

joepenguin wrote: »
    Went to the Haye fight in the last year in the M.E.N and a guy wasnt allowed in for wearing a united jersey. So it may be in their policy but maybe just stick it in a jacket pocket and see if ya can get away with it in there. worst case scenario they take it off you.

I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry.

You would get hassle at this fight if you were wearing a United shirt as its the same day as the City-United semi

• Advertisement

Eddie Hearn: McCloskey will be tougher for Khan than Maidana

Well according to Eddie Hearn anyway

http://boxing-ireland.com/20110402_eddie_hearn_mccloskey_71.html

Advertisement