Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amir Khan v Paul McCloskey - Manchester, April 16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

as much as i would love to see paul knock khan out and cause a massive upset,

i just cant for the life of me seeing him getting past the middle rounds, i think this is a huge miss match and hope mc.. gets his big pay day.

khan is a million times ahead of mcc.. in talent and getting the best training and sparring in the world.

khan is still very young and i think he has a bright future ahead of him, i have got alot of respect for him since the maidana fight, really pulled it out of the bag in a tough affair.

khans team will be clever enough not to finish fight too soon, make ppl get their moneys worth so will prob go to the 5/6 round.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cmf22

Are u for real? You think khan will be able to just finish it off like that? I hope hes takin the fight as lightly as that. Khan may have fought better opposition than dudey but to say hes a million times ahead of dudey is bull... To think any top level fighter decides when to finish a fight, to make himself look good is a load of pony QUOTE=bellybuster12;71490518]as much as i would love to see paul knock khan out and cause a massive upset,

i just cant for the life of me seeing him getting past the middle rounds, i think this is a huge miss match and hope mc.. gets his big pay day.

khan is a million times ahead of mcc.. in talent and getting the best training and sparring in the world.

khan is still very young and i think he has a bright future ahead of him, i have got alot of respect for him since the maidana fight, really pulled it out of the bag in a tough affair.

khans team will be clever enough not to finish fight too soon, make ppl get their moneys worth so will prob go to the 5/6 round.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

cmf22 wrote: »
    Are u for real? You think khan will be able to just finish it off like that? I hope hes takin the fight as lightly as that. Khan may have fought better opposition than dudey but to say hes a million times ahead of dudey is bull... To think any top level fighter decides when to finish a fight, to make himself look good is a load of pony QUOTE=bellybuster12;71490518]

I think there is a huge gulf in class here also, I hope for Pauls sake he can make a fight out of it, but I have my concerns. I think Paul is durable enough but I cant see him getting anywhere near Kahn. He seriously has to work on his defence too, he cant walk around the ring with his hands down by his side against this guy.
    My prediction: Kahn with a mid to late KO, paul to take a lot of punches (hope to be proved wrong)

As for fighters finishing off fights when they like: I think it happens all the time, take the Willie Casey fight last week? If Rigo wanted a few rounds more he could have got them and still finished the fight on his terms.
    You often see fighters who take it easy for a few rounds etc knowing that if they went all out they probably could get a stoppage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

I hope Paul wins and will be cheering for him, but there is a massive gulf in class here. The 0 in Paul's record and his nationality is probably tainting a lot of people's views who think he has a good chance, I don't think he will be able to compete with the speed and volume of Khan.

5/6 KO for Khan but would love to see Paul win.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

cmf22 wrote: »
    Are u for real? You think khan will be able to just finish it off like that? I hope hes takin the fight as lightly as that. Khan may have fought better opposition than dudey but to say hes a million times ahead of dudey is bull... To think any top level fighter decides when to finish a fight, to make himself look good is a load of pony QUOTE=bellybuster12;71490518]as much as i would love to see paul knock khan out and cause a massive upset,

khans team will be clever enough not to finish fight too soon, make ppl get their moneys worth so will prob go to the 5/6 round.
    [/QUOTE]

yes i am for real, im sorry but thats just the way it is.

dont get me wrong, id love nothing more than an irish win but it could only happen with miracle on the money slap.

i dont think im on my own when i say that mccloskey is not in the same league as khan or at world class level.

ok the big thing here and with most of our boxers in that fighting on the euro circuit doesnt match up with the american boxing.

so we get excited about boxers doing well on a european level and then when its up against world class level we get blinkered with irish eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Any chance of a replacement bout being announced for Macklin's at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

im amazed at some of these posts and how some of the op's are under rating mc closkey and over rating khan. khan is not world class and imo never will be, i dont think mc closkey is world class either mind you but i definately give him more than hes been discredited for from these posts

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DorianGrayism

im amazed at some of these posts and how some of the op's are under rating mc closkey and over rating khan. khan is not world class and imo never will be, i dont think mc closkey is world class either mind you but i definately give him more than hes been discredited for from these posts

Very true. I think the boxing betting lines are completely out of sync with reality.

I still have Khan winning this, but I definetly see McClockey giving a good fight if he can get past the first three rounds.I am sure we will start to see him come on the inside and exploit Khan's weaknesses since Khan is no clue how to defend on the inside or against the ropes.

Khan, whilst being talented, has really bad flaws which I think Bradley will definetly take apart. That is, if McClokskey doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eh..........what's your definition of World Class ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In the present day standard, Khan has proven that he is world class. He is the actual WBA 140 lb champion. Is he the best in the world at 140 lbs? That has to be proved. Should he unify the division, then yes, he will be the best in the world.

Paul has yet to show us if he is world class. From what I have seen and from what he has done, no, he is not world class. That could all change in 13 days.

I doubt he makes it 12 rds. I see him being overwhelmed by speed and volume and all around boxing ability.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    eh..........what's your definition of World Class ?
    walshb wrote: »
    In the present day standard, Khan has proven that he is world class. He is the actual WBA 140 lb champion. Is he the best in the world at 140 lbs? That has to be proved. Should he unify the division, then yes, he will be the best in the world.

Paul has yet to show us if he is world class. From what I have seen and from what he has done, no, he is not world class. That could all change in 13 days.

I doubt he makes it 12 rds. I see him being overwhelmed by speed and volume and all around boxing ability.

ok he has the belt but a lot of boxers over the last few years have held world titles but they werent worthy of them. a world class boxer imo is one that even if he hasnt got one of the belts he is worthy to hold one. a perfect example as much as i hate to admit it is bernard dunne he won the belt and as ive said before i do like bernard and i would have liked nothing more than for him to hold onto the belt long term but i didnt think he was really world class. also i did say that i didnt think mc closkey is world class, obviously things can always change but even if he wins the title on april 16th i still wouldnt categorize him as world class for the moment..

ok he has the belt but a lot of boxers over the last few years have held world titles but they werent worthy of them. a world class boxer imo is one that even if he hasnt got one of the belts he is worthy to hold one. a perfect example as much as i hate to admit it is bernard dunne he won the belt and as ive said before i do like bernard and i would have liked nothing more than for him to hold onto the belt long term but i didnt think he was really world class. also i did say that i didnt think mc closkey is world class, obviously things can always change but even if he wins the title on april 16th i still wouldnt categorize him as world class for the moment..

So I'm assuming you disagree with the view that Khan is one of the top 2 Light-Welterweights in the World then ?, because surely any fighter in the top at their weight is considered World Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

walshb wrote: »
    I doubt he makes it 12 rds. I see him being overwhelmed by speed and volume

Everytime I think of the fight this comes into my head, can't see Paul being able to deal with Khan's speed and volume of punches.

Everybody with a proper knowledge of boxing knows Bernard Dunne wasn't genuinely world class, Khan has beaten some solid fighters and would definitely be in the top 3/4 in his division at the moment.

Your argument is pretty redundant anyway, even if you think he isn't world class there is still a big gulf in class between Khan and McCloskey from what we have seen.

Everybody with a proper knowledge of boxing knows Bernard Dunne wasn't genuinely world class

wasnt that what i said???
    Your argument is pretty redundant anyway, even if you think he isn't world class there is still a big gulf in class between Khan and McCloskey from what we have seen.
    [/QUOTE]

can you see paul mc closkey coming out and getting destroyed in the first round by bredis prescott?? because i cant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

I see Khan throwin snappy 2-3 punch combos and checking out McLoskeys slippin / weaving habits and then nailinh him with 4-5 punch combos, or with 1-2s after a bit of fainting. Hopefully he cant land flush on him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

You must have a very strange definition of world class. Khan beat two top 5 boxers in Maidana and Kotelnik (who beat Alexander but was robbed). He beat a genuine top 10 fighter in Malignaggi. How on earth is he not world class? MCloskey isn't a big win for him though, McCloskey isn't a world class fighter and never will be imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

My prediction is McCloskey will be blown away within 4 rounds. He doesn't have the reflexes to match Khan's lightning fast hands. It will be the Malignaggi fight all over again but I don't believe McCloskey is as durable so it will finish earlier.

magma69 wrote: »
    You must have a very strange definition of world class. Khan beat two top 5 boxers in Maidana and Kotelnik (who beat Alexander but was robbed). He beat a genuine top 10 fighter in Malignaggi. How on earth is he not world class? MCloskey isn't a big win for him though, McCloskey isn't a world class fighter and never will be imo.

obviously different to yours, i dont rate khan as highly as a lot of people here. and i also think its very presumptuous of you saying 'mc closkey isnt a big win for him' he hasnt won anything yet... and i wouldnt hold my breath either. and i think you'll find that i did say mc closkey isnt world class at this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

magma69 wrote: »
    My prediction is McCloskey will be blown away within 4 rounds. He doesn't have the reflexes to match Khan's lightning fast hands. It will be the Malignaggi fight all over again but I don't believe McCloskey is as durable so it will finish earlier.

Thats a very valid argument.

Personally, I know McCloskey is absolutely flying in training. His sparring has been the best it has ever been, and he has received more competitive sparring than he has ever had. He will be dangerous to Khan.

Don't get me wrong, Khan should beat McCloskey 8 or 9 times out of 10 but I think he is paying McCloskey alot of lip service, saying he is taking him deadly serious. I think there is a good chance he may take his eye off the ball here. Sure his hard training has been taking place out of the UK, but if I was to fight Khan anywhere it would be in Manchester. He will be under huge pressure come fight night, and there are lots of distractions for him aswell.

The big question is whether McCloskey can take what Khan can throw. And there is also an outside chance that Paul will excell against a better quality of opponent. McCloskey isn't a fighter who takes alot of punishment, he is smart.

The comparison with Malignaggi is not a fair one, Malignaggi has feather fists and his style isn't suitable to his talents. keeping his hands low does him no favours.

Paul will not be so cavalier, he knows Khan has fast hands and will not be careless just to be flashy. He is also capable of hurting Khan.

I reckon Khan will win but may possibly visit the canvass, it'll be a close points win or else a split decision in favour of Khan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭BoxingIrel.com

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Thats a very valid argument.

Personally, I know McCloskey is absolutely flying in training. His sparring has been the best it has ever been, and he has received more competitive sparring than he has ever had. He will be dangerous to Khan.

Don't get me wrong, Khan should beat McCloskey 8 or 9 times out of 10 but I think he is paying McCloskey alot of lip service, saying he is taking him deadly serious. I think there is a good chance he may take his eye off the ball here. Sure his hard training has been taking place out of the UK, but if I was to fight Khan anywhere it would be in Manchester. He will be under huge pressure come fight night, and there are lots of distractions for him aswell.

The big question is whether McCloskey can take what Khan can throw. And there is also an outside chance that Paul will excell against a better quality of opponent. McCloskey isn't a fighter who takes alot of punishment, he is smart.

The comparison with Malignaggi is not a fair one, Malignaggi has feather fists and his style isn't suitable to his talents. keeping his hands low does him no favours.

Paul will not be so cavalier, he knows Khan has fast hands and will not be careless just to be flashy. He is also capable of hurting Khan.

I reckon Khan will win but may possibly visit the canvass, it'll be a close points win or else a split decision in favour of Khan.

Who has he been sparring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

I've just placed a bet with a mate that McCloskey will be finished inside of ONE round. I know that on any given night etc etc but you got to play the odds.
    McCloskey has never fought anyone with hand speed like Khan and I think Khan will be out to finish this early as Britain seem to think that this fight is just a glorified sparring session for Khan.

Still, I'm a romantic at heart and would sell my house to see McCloskey win.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

I'm all for supporting the Irish guy but be honest. Khan is on a completely level to McCloskey. He's too fast, too strong, too accurate, too fit. Does mccloskey hit as hard as Maidana? I doubt it. Every fighter has a punchers chance but I can see mccloskey being overwhelmed in 3/4 rounds max. I'll be cheering mccloskey all the way but more out of hope than expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Who has he been sparring?

good question. unless he has been sparring someone with comparable handspeed to Khan and faring well in the process, I just can't see how McCloskey can win. i hope i'm wrong though.

Rob113 wrote: »
    I'm all for supporting the Irish guy but be honest. Khan is on a completely level to McCloskey. He's too fast, too strong, too accurate, too fit. Does mccloskey hit as hard as Maidana? I doubt it. Every fighter has a punchers chance but I can see mccloskey being overwhelmed in 3/4 rounds max. I'll be cheering mccloskey all the way but more out of hope than expectation.

Barring a hail mary shot, Paul is out-gunned in all areas here.
    I give him 8-9 rds, and that is probably being generous.
    Them low hands and nonchalant attitude may work against
    C level fighters, but now he is facing a class A boxer.

obviously different to yours, i dont rate khan as highly as a lot of people here. and i also think its very presumptuous of you saying 'mc closkey isnt a big win for him' he hasnt won anything yet... and i wouldnt hold my breath either. and i think you'll find that i did say mc closkey isnt world class at this moment.

Out of interest what is your Light-Welterweight top 5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭BoxingIrel.com

Roar wrote: »

Good news, BUT!

This will be a big blow to McCloskey because I think he accepted a lower fee than they wanted on the proviso that they were given a share of the PPV sales in Ireland over and above the sales for the Maidana fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Roar wrote: »

Excellent, it was an awful PPV event anyway. The interest is just not there in Britain for Khan just yet especially against an opponent like Paul.
    Hope Paul is getting good money for this now.

I wonder has Paul done much work on the body, his abs?

Khan throws very fast and rangey body shots. Paul would want to make sure that the tummy is rock solid, otherwise we could see something similar to the 1st rd vs. Maidana.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    Out of interest what is your Light-Welterweight top 5 ?

honestly, im not sure id have to have a long think about that. but khan wouldnt be in there anyway..

Advertisement