Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    if Trimbs wants to move, there would be no shortage of takers. The man is quality. English Prem teams would be lining up, but the money all seems to be in France as Mr Sexton is showing .

After this years 6 Nations, I wonder how long it will be untill the French federation start calling for the limiting of foreign imports?

They've been trying to push it through for a while now. I think their aim is to have 70% of teams to be French qualified. I suppose that's 150 players or so to choose from, which isn't bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    if Trimbs wants to move, there would be no shortage of takers. The man is quality. English Prem teams would be lining up, but the money all seems to be in France as Mr Sexton is showing .

After this years 6 Nations, I wonder how long it will be untill the French federation start calling for the limiting of foreign imports?

In fairness there are no shortage of quality players(besides maybe OH). They showed great quality on saturday at times and are a match for most on their day. The mentality and management seem to be holding them back rather than foreign imports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

They've been trying to push it through for a while now. I think their aim is to have 70% of teams to be French qualified. I suppose that's 150 players or so to choose from, which isn't bad!

because they don't own the clubs they can't do that (like the IRFU can), restriction of trade or something so they are doing something similar to the English (soccer) afaik and trying to promote 70% developed in France.

At least thats my understanding

because they don't own the clubs they can't do that (like the IRFU can), restriction of trade or something so they are doing something similar to the English (soccer) afaik and trying to promote 70% developed in France.

At least thats my understanding

Yep that's it. I think they have to be in a French academy for a certain amount of time before a certain age.

So yeah maybe they won't all be French qualified (if they go on to represent someone else), but I'd say most of them would be, especially the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster really have 2 10s (Jackson and NOC) a 9 who can play 10 (Pienarr), 2 12s that can cover 10 (Wallace & Marshall) and a utility back that can cover 10 (Olding).

Of course there are bigger priorities, I'm just thinking that after the last few weeks where Olding and Wallace have played 10 wasn't ideal. Sure Olding is going to develop more but I don't know if he will end up as a 10 and we know that the idea of Wallace at 10 should have been put to rest years ago.

I just think that Ulster might find 10 a position worth strengthening so I'm looking at an ex Ulster man. It might be worth it if McKinney has been developing well and has a good chunk of experience out of the year to have a second choice 10 in situ.

Anyway people here have the best chance of being on top of his current status so is the best place to find out about him. Maybe Leinster should pick him up, he would probably be a step from Reid as a back up (or 3rd choice) 10 for Leinster next season/

I expect McKinney will be back at Ulster next season.

• Advertisement

I would be very surprised if Trimble leaves Ulster.

bilston wrote: »
    I expect McKinney will be back at Ulster next season.

Is this already rumoured?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Paddy Wallace has ruptured his ACL, it's all over Twitter. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

Just about to post that too, could be his career over at Ulster now.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We are f**king cursed! :(

Hoping for a nice recovery for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Official word from Ulster, even with Marshall in great form this is a bit of a disaster.
    Ulster Centre, Paddy Wallace, sustained an injury to his left knee in Friday night's RaboDirect PRO12 match against Glasgow at Scotstoun.

Following a scan yesterday evening, it was confirmed that he has suffered a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

This injury will require surgery and a significant period of rehabilitation.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

The stand at Memorial end is coming along nicely.

735037_441550355924069_95370639_n.jpg

The stand at Memorial end is coming along nicely.

735037_441550355924069_95370639_n.jpg

Looking good, shame there'll be no fit players left to play on the pitch!

I believe so. I don't know how he's been getting on in England. I would say he is a better goal kicker than PJ as well so it would be interesting to see how his game has developed over the last 12 months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Paddy Wallace has ruptured his ACL, it's all over Twitter. :(

He really looked uncomfortable in the period before he came off on Friday night.

In his kick that was blocked down for their try you could see him struggling with a leg injury of some sort.

It's a real shame as he's a big loss to Ulster and was in my Lions team too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The provisional Ulster squad has been named ahead of Friday's RaboDirect PRO12 game against Benetton Treviso at Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm).

Ireland squad members Iain Henderson, Paddy Jackson and Declan Fitzpatrick have been named in the panel to face Treviso, after missing last week’s game against Glasgow.
    Ulster remains top of the PRO12 table despite last week’s defeat. They have a three point advantage over second place Glasgow Warriors going into round 17 matches.

Extended Ulster squad v Treviso, RaboDirect PRO12, Friday 1st March, Ravenhill, 7.05pm;

Forwards (14)

Rob Herring, Nigel Brady, Niall Annett, Ricky Lutton, Declan Fitzpatrick, Callum Black, John Afoa, Neil McComb, Lewis Stevenson, Iain Henderson, Dan Tuohy, Mike McComish, Ali Birch, Robbie Diack.

Backs (11)

Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Michael Heaney, Niall O’Connor, Stuart Olding, Paddy Jackson, Michael Allen, Andrew Trimble, Chris Cochrane, Darren Cave, Ricky Andrew.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

jacothelad wrote: »
    Backs (11)

Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Michael Heaney, Niall O’Connor, Stuart Olding, Paddy Jackson,

Michael Allen, Andrew Trimble, Chris Cochrane, Darren Cave, Ricky Andrew.

Wow, well you've plenty of choice at 9 and 10.........and just enough players for the other 5 positions!

The provisional Ulster squad has been named ahead of Friday's RaboDirect PRO12 game against Benetton Treviso at Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm).

Ireland squad members Iain Henderson, Paddy Jackson and Declan Fitzpatrick have been named in the panel to face Treviso, after missing last week’s game against Glasgow.
    Ulster remains top of the PRO12 table despite last week’s defeat. They have a three point advantage over second place Glasgow Warriors going into round 17 matches.

Extended Ulster squad v Treviso, RaboDirect PRO12, Friday 1st March, Ravenhill, 7.05pm;

Forwards (14)

Rob Herring, Nigel Brady, Niall Annett, Ricky Lutton, Declan Fitzpatrick, Callum Black, John Afoa, Neil McComb, Lewis Stevenson, Iain Henderson, Dan Tuohy, Mike McComish, Ali Birch, Robbie Diack.

Backs (11)

Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Michael Heaney, Niall O’Connor, Stuart Olding, Paddy Jackson, Michael Allen, Andrew Trimble, Chris Cochrane, Darren Cave, Ricky Andrew.

Very unusual for a player to be released to their province after starting a test match. I would hope that Jackson is being released to take the kicks. Presumably at home to Treviso we can take any perceived risk in that.

I say this reasonably confident that Jackson won't be dropped for France. I mean whether he should have started against Scotland is clearly debateable to say the least but to drop him now would be pretty unforgiveable IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I was of the opinion that ROG should have started v Scotland, mostly because he was on the bench for previous games and did not think that PJ should overtake him like that, I thought that ROG deserved better............. however that debate is long gone and PJ it was who played, if Declan dropped him from the French match, it would be unforgiveable and just plain wrong ! It really would show himself up as a coach who is in the final furlong of his tenure, it would be a crazy decision.

Has Paul Marshall ever played on the wing at provincial level?

Don't think so. Why?:eek:

Forwards (14)

Backs (11)

Probably looking at

15 Andrew, 14 Trimble, 13 Cave, 12 Olding, 11 Allen, 10 Jackson, 9 Pienaar
    1 Black, 2 Brady, 3 Afoa, 4 Stevenson, 5 Tuohy, 6 Henderson, 7 Birch, 8 Diack

In saying that you can never second guess MA's team selections in the Rabo!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think he made a brief substitute appearance once when other substitutes backs substitutions had been made and there was an injury.

Wasn't on long enough to form an impression.

Don't think so. Why?:eek:

Just curious, he's very quick (reminds me of Danny Care).

Ulster's season looks like it could come apart with all these injuries, thankfully in the Rabo they're more or less safe.

Just curious, he's very quick (reminds me of Danny Care).

Ulster's season looks like it could come apart with all these injuries, thankfully in the Rabo they're more or less safe.

It's a shame Farrell got injured when did as he'd probably have played about 10-12 games this season.

Not so sure about McKinney now based on what I've heard now. Shame as he would be a good foil for Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Very unusual for a player to be released to their province after starting a test match. I would hope that Jackson is being released to take the kicks. Presumably at home to Treviso we can take any perceived risk in that.

I say this reasonably confident that Jackson won't be dropped for France. I mean whether he should have started against Scotland is clearly debateable to say the least but to drop him now would be pretty unforgiveable IMO.[/QUOTE]

Why will it be unforgiveable? If he's not up to standard and tarnishing the Irish no. 10 jersey by inept kicking, he should be dropped.

Jackson's inclusion for kicking for Ulster at the weekend:
    1) It could restore his confidence after it was severely dented on Sunday.
    2) It could backfire and he could have another nightmare kicking game, making Kidney's decision to drop him for France a straight forward decision at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tarnishing.

Bit over the top that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement