Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

It's not the figures per se, it's the fact it's rugby fans, the majority of whom will be carrying Northern Ireland flags that I think could cause problems. And yes yes, we've all moved on and all that, but I would foresee problems.

FWIW I would love to see Ulster playing in the biggest stadium in Ulster, Casement park looks like a great venue.

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah.

Yea, it is the Andytown road but I think 40,000 rugby fans is different to 40,000 football fans.

Looking back I think I worded that badly, I don't mean rugby fans will cause problems, I struggle to think of a single instance of rugby fans causing problems.

I think that some of the local residents could take issue with rugby fans and may cause problems. Which would be a real shame and I hope to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

postitnote wrote: »
    Looking back I think I worded that badly, I don't mean rugby fans will cause problems, I struggle to think of a single instance of rugby fans causing problems.

I think that some of the local residents could take issue with rugby fans and may cause problems. Which would be a real shame and I hope to be proven wrong.
    Do you mean by virtue of the fact that rugby in Ulster is a predominantly middle class protestant sport?
    That may be the case but I say David Humphries being interviewed on Against the Head and he was talking about growing the playing numbers and spreading the game to Donegal etc.
    The plans for Casement look great-the only GAA ground that has been redeveloped on a comparable international level is Croke Park but it looks like they've upped their game design wise.
    That rugby world cup bid doesn't look like such a pipe dream with the infrastructure coming on stream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭sjwpjw

Maybe it is naive of me but maybe if it is was in Casement a lot of the locals might fancy going to see what all the fuss was about. rugby would gain so much of more of the GAA guiys gave it a try. Their ball handling skills and general fitness is superb even at primary school level.

Were/are some of our best players not ex GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Read the charter folks. No politics. no religion

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Ah I think it would be fine. You see the likes of Gerry Kelly congratulating them on their first win in France etc.

Dare I say it but the "proper" Ulster flags seems to be seen more during matches these days. Rugby certainly can and should be used as a unifying force for Ulster.

On Casement it would be good to see it get put to good use. The Ulster GAA Council may not be as opposed by then to the idea and maybe national body could overrule them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The reason I dont see it being a problem is how open the GAA have been to their great relationship with the IRFU. They'd seemed supportive of the idea of helping Ireland host a world cup, and were open to the use of Croke Park for Leinster and Munster (all be it during the time Lansdowne was being re-built) but I reckon it could be brokered if the time came.

The real oppisition I think would be the IRFU. Would they be willing to allow the game take place there and pay the rent / not get the payday of Lansdowne? As far as I know, the ERC book it and the teams get equal share anyway, so that might get around that.

I know there will be big regional stadiums developed in Limerick and Cork by the GAA also, not sure about Connacht, but I think McHale park in Mayo is due a big revamp, it would be great if all provinces had a "go to" big day stadium for big games rather than having to travel to Dublin (i.e Ulster v Edinburgh, or worse yet from their point of view, when Munster had a "home" semi against Leinster, but had to travel to Leinster to play it...)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Given their injury list has anyone heard anything about Ulster going after any injury jokers for the rest of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Given their injury list has anyone heard anything about Ulster going after any injury jokers for the rest of the season?

It would be difficult at this stage to get cover in that would be of sufficient quality, at best you're probably looking at a SH player that didn't get a Super Rugby squad place or someone from Japan.

Then again, Leinster did get Brad Thorn...

It would be difficult at this stage to get cover in that would be of sufficient quality, at best you're probably looking at a SH player that didn't get a Super Rugby squad place or someone from Japan.

Then again, Leinster did get Brad Thorn...
    This is probably Ulster's strongest lineout at the moment. Does anyone know when Bowe/Payne and Henry/Williams/Wilson are due back. If Ulster could put out one of each of those two sets I would be a lot more confident going forward.

Court Best Afoa Tuohy Stevenson Henderson McComish Diack Pienaar Jackson Allen Marshall Cave Trimble Gilroy
    Bench Herring Black Fitzpatrick McComb Birch Marshall Olding Andrew

Actually I was thinking that Ulster might go to Leinster and try to get a backrow on loan, given the injuries to Henry, Doyle, Ferris, Williams, and Wilson. With SOB Heaslip Jennings (and McLaughlin to come back from injury soon) and with young options like Marshall Murphy and Ruddock available then DRyan (who isn't cup tied) might be available and he would be a better option to fit in at 7 alongside Henderson and Diack (playing 6 and 7) then McComish Birch or Joyce who are Ulsters other available backrows.

Also if someone comes back Ryan could fit in as a bench option ahead of Birch/Joyce/McComish.

After all the IRFU were talking about signing IQ medical jokers going forward

A player cannot play in the Rabo for two clubs in the same season.

Dunno about Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Dunno about Europe.

Nope not Europe either afaik.
    Chances of Ryan leaving until end of season are negligible though.

Dunno about Europe.
    Can't play for 2 teams in Europe during the same season but Ryan hasn't played in Europe

Forgot about the Rabo rule. It usen't to be listed on the site so no one was certain it was real. Its listed again now so forget the idea of Ryan going on loan.

Ah well it was just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

An available, proven quality back rower ya say? Whats Rocky Elsom up to these days?

An available, proven quality back rower ya say? Whats Rocky Elsom up to these days?

Failed a medical at Japan and then at Toulon.

I'd say his career is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Failed a medical at Japan and then at Toulon.

I'd say his career is over.

Yeah, once Toulon say no thanks you know you're in a spot of bother :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Henderson side the Ulster back row is a disaster zone at the moment. The rest is fine albeit having Payne back would be a huge bonus for the backs.

As for injury jokers I guess that is what Neil Walsh is. He has done quite well actually. Did he ever feature for Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bilston wrote: »
    Henderson side the Ulster back row is a disaster zone at the moment. The rest is fine albeit having Payne back would be a huge bonus for the backs.

As for injury jokers I guess that is what Neil Walsh is. He has done quite well actually. Did he ever feature for Leinster?

Don't think he ever played for Leinster because he was down in Australia.

Surely there must be back rows available in the AIL who would love a chance to play a couple of Rabo games off the bench?

• Advertisement

Not sure if its the best place to ask this but how is James McKinney getting on with Rotterham.

Is he the first choice 10 for them? Might it be a good idea for Ulster to look at bringing him back as second choice 10 ahead of NOC?

If Jackson is going to be involved internationally next season, he is probably going to be on the summer tour anyway which will restrict his availability for Ulster in September, then Ulster could do with another option rather than relying on Pienaar, Olding, Wallace, and NOC.

Dunno if it'd be worth bringing in another 10. There must be bigger priorities?

Dunno if it'd be worth bringing in another 10. There must be bigger priorities?

Ulster really have 2 10s (Jackson and NOC) a 9 who can play 10 (Pienarr), 2 12s that can cover 10 (Wallace & Marshall) and a utility back that can cover 10 (Olding).

Of course there are bigger priorities, I'm just thinking that after the last few weeks where Olding and Wallace have played 10 wasn't ideal. Sure Olding is going to develop more but I don't know if he will end up as a 10 and we know that the idea of Wallace at 10 should have been put to rest years ago.

I just think that Ulster might find 10 a position worth strengthening so I'm looking at an ex Ulster man. It might be worth it if McKinney has been developing well and has a good chunk of experience out of the year to have a second choice 10 in situ.

Anyway people here have the best chance of being on top of his current status so is the best place to find out about him. Maybe Leinster should pick him up, he would probably be a step from Reid as a back up (or 3rd choice) 10 for Leinster next season/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

From the twitter

@Murray_Kinsella: Midi Olympique reporting that Andrew Trimble is set to visit Paris for a tour of facilities at Stade Francais! Thoughts Ulster fans?? #Top14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Not sure if its the best place to ask this but how is James McKinney getting on with Rotterham.

Is he the first choice 10 for them? Might it be a good idea for Ulster to look at bringing him back as second choice 10 ahead of NOC?

If Jackson is going to be involved internationally next season, he is probably going to be on the summer tour anyway which will restrict his availability for Ulster in September, then Ulster could do with another option rather than relying on Pienaar, Olding, Wallace, and NOC.

He's a guy I think Leinster should be looking at.
    We've Madigan, Reid and Marsh, all of whom from what I have seen are flair type players. From what I remember of McKinney, he was solid, good kicker from hand and tee and could manage a game well. Would that be fair to say?

Anyone have any idea how he's doing over there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

durkadurka wrote: »
    From the twitter

@Murray_Kinsella: Midi Olympique reporting that Andrew Trimble is set to visit Paris for a tour of facilities at Stade Francais! Thoughts Ulster fans?? #Top14

He must think that he'll end up behind Bowe and Gilroy when they're both fit.

He's only 28 so has plenty of rugby still in him and I'm not sure if the tax break rules would apply to him as he's in Ulster.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He must think that he'll end up behind Bowe and Gilroy when they're both fit.

He's only 28 so has plenty of rugby still in him and I'm not sure if the tax break rules would apply to him as he's in Ulster.

no tax rebate for him

I can understand why he would want to move, but I hope that he doesn't. Ulster need three quality wingers if they want to be competitive at the highest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

durkadurka wrote: »
    From the twitter

As he has been merded on by Kidney, why not. Go for it Andrew.

It'd be a bit of a disaster to lose both Trimble to Stade and Cochrane to Connacht!

Completely understand it from Trimble's POV though. And he'd be perfect for the Top 14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

if Trimbs wants to move, there would be no shortage of takers. The man is quality. English Prem teams would be lining up, but the money all seems to be in France as Mr Sexton is showing .

After this years 6 Nations, I wonder how long it will be untill the French federation start calling for the limiting of foreign imports?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement