Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Probably won't hear til Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fingers crossed. As much as I'd like Ferg or Fitz to be given a go there I think Marshall is the future for Ireland there, ever since that game in the Aviva he's been destined for great things! Perfect opportunity is beckoning now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

That lad with the unfortunate name, R. Andrew, looked useful. And Heaney. Trimble is showing some finesse late in life - must be learning from Rory - definitely still in with a shout for Ireland. The backline isn't as slick as Leinster at its best but it's pretty impressive. In the post-bod world we are entering, I wouldn't mind seeing Marshall and Cave playing together for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Absolutely brilliant video to promote the QF, SUFTUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Great Vid................ can't wait for the game. Things like that really get you going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Just snapped up four tickets at £10 each, pretty happy with that! Going to be a cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

How are Paddy McAllister and Chris Farrell progressing with there recovery's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

mogwai81 wrote: »
    How are Paddy McAllister and Chris Farrell progressing with there recovery's?

Havn't heard from McAllister recently but at the Glasgow HC game he was on crutches, that was mid-January.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

just in the process of getting tickets now with 5 of my mates already starting to get the excitement

Johann Muller has been ruled out for 4-6 weeks with a muscle tear in the groin.

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugbySP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugbySP

Ouch!

Of all the muscle injuries in the lower section of your body I always felt the groin ones where the most painful!

Also it's just over 6 weeks until the HEC QF.

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We are cursed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Another tough spell ahead by the looks of it. How they're all back for the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugbyS

Is this going to be Muller's third injury spell this season? He's had a rough run of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

impressive interview on Against the Head with Humphries.

loved his ambition to expand the game in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Henry out - 3 to 4 weeks.

Injury list now.

Paddy McAllister
    Adam Macklin
    Johann Muller
    Dan Tuohy
    Chris Henry
    Sean Doyle
    Nick Williams
    Roger Wilson
    Paul Marshall
    Tommy Bowe
    Chris Farrell
    Jared Payne
    Adam D'Arcy
    Peter Nelson
    Niall O'Connor

With Ireland.
    Cave
    Best.
    Jackson
    Henderson
    Court
    Fitzpatrick
    Stevenson
    Gilroy

So that's 23 players missing for the Glasgow game. Only Pienaar, Mincer, Trimble and Afoa of the starters are available.

Just as well we've a big points advantage, going to need it.

Hopefully get many back before QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

jacothelad wrote: »
    Henry out - 3 to 4 weeks.

Injury list now.

Paddy McAllister
    Adam Macklin
    Johann Muller
    Dan Tuohy
    Chris Henry
    Sean Doyle
    Nick Williams
    Roger Wilson
    Paul Marshall
    Tommy Bowe
    Chris Farrell
    Jared Payne
    Adam D'Arcy
    Peter Nelson
    Niall O'Connor

With Ireland.
    Cave
    Best.
    Jackson
    Henderson
    Court
    Fitzpatrick
    Stevenson
    Gilroy

So that's 23 players missing for the Glasgow game. Only Pienaar, Mincer, Trimble and Afoa of the starters are available.

Add in Luke Marshall and you've 24 Jaco;) although in hindsight you've included NOC so maybe you're right, 23 rugby players unavailable for Ulster...

Edit - In fact you've even forgotten Ferris! Although he's injured that often you might easily forget about him...so that's just the 25 then...

bilston wrote: »
    Add in Luke Marshall and you've 24 Jaco;) although in hindsight you've included NOC so maybe you're right, 23 rugby players unavailable for Ulster...

Edit - In fact you've even forgotten Ferris! Although he's injured that often you might easily forget about him...so that's just the 25 then...

Feck. How could I miss Fez and Marshall..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Your coach's son is in action tomorrow morning Irish time for the Chiefs, at fullback of all places. Guess it's hard to displce Cruden at 10. If you have nothing to do, should be a good local derby Chiefs v Highlanders. Maybe dad can tempt son to Ulster if PJ is going to be a regular Irish squad member...

• Advertisement

Will record it for later, planning on following it this year as i missed it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Team for Glasgow

(15-9): R Andrew, M Allen, A Trimble, S Olding, N Walsh, P Wallace, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): C Black, N Brady, J Afoa (Capt.), N McComb, D Tuohy, C Joyce, A Birch, R Diack;
    Replacements (16-23): R Herring, R Lutton, A Warwick, A O’Connor, M McComish, P Marshall, D Cave, C Cochrane.

Trying to rememeber the last time Paddy started a game at 10. Ireland XV vs Connacht maybe?

EDIT: Just noticed Trimble at 13 as well, would have thought him and Allen switching would have been more logical? Good to see Olding get another start, I rate him very highly.

strange team!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is Cave hurt?

would've gone for Olding at 10, Wallace at 12, Allen at 13, wings of trimble and walsh and andrew at 15 myself...but then again i aint pickin'

rchendz92 wrote: »
    Team for Glasgow

(1-8): C Black, N Brady, J Afoa (Capt.), N McComb, D Tuohy, C Joyce, A Birch, R Diack;
    Replacements (16-23): R Herring, R Lutton, A Warwick, A O’Connor, M McComish, P Marshall, D Cave, C Cochrane.

Trying to rememeber the last time Paddy started a game at 10. Ireland XV vs Connacht maybe?

EDIT: Just noticed Trimble at 13 as well, would have thought him and Allen switching would have been more logical? Good to see Olding get another start, I rate him very highly.

Weird. Why not Allen - an actual 13 at 13, Mincer and actual 12 at 12 and Olding an actual 10 at 10 and Trimble an actual 14 at 14. We have a back line that has a 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 in the starting line up and they are all playing out of position. Did Brian McLaughlin pick this team?

rchendz92 wrote: »
    Team for Glasgow

He could also have switched Olding and Wallace, also RP could have gone to 10 with Wee Marshall at 9.

I guess Trimble adds a bit of defensive solidity to the midfield and Pienaar, while a decent 10, doesn't have anything like the same impact from out half.

Agree on Olding, I'm delighted he is still in the team, he really impressed last week and I think he's going to be a top player, not sure in what position though!

Edit - Great to see Joyce getting a start

jacothelad wrote: »
    Weird. Why not Allen - an actual 13 at 13, Mincer and actual 12 at 12 and Olding an actual 10 at 10 and Trimble an actual 14 at 14. We have a back line that has a 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 in the starting line up and they are all playing out of position. Did Brian McLaughlin pick this team?

Ha! I thought you might reference McGlock.

It's a weird selection alright.

Is Cave hurt?

No, but he will probably only be released by Ireland either today or tomorrow morning so just making it to Glasgow on time is his first challenge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thing is...

With Gilroy now pushing Trimble hard, Trimble is going to be cover on the bench in future I'd guess. It seems it'll be Bowe and Gilory as Ulster's starting winger. Maybe they want to give Trimble time in the centers to expand what he offers off the bench again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement