Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thurs Evening 3rd Mar

Planned Turbo 2 x 20min @ 90% of FTP
    Actual Was stuggling with time so did 2 x 15min @ 90%

Good to feel the burn. Good to sweat. Two weeks of no biking, swimming (3 weeks), running, core work or stretches. Due to cold, sore shoulder, skiing, recovering from skiing etc...So good to be back at it.

I had planned to do my first race this Sat in Ballinrobe Co. Mayo. All week thinking I wouldn't do it, especially with my sore leg. The leg seems fine now (will run on it tomor) so I will do it now. This time last year I had a few races under my belt and I was feeling great. I will take it very very easy on first run, go hard on the bike and hang on in the second run. It might just be the thing I need. I always enjoy racing and I forget what it feels like. It may give me the kick I need too.

Total Time 45 min
    Total Dist 27.5km

Fri Morn 4th Mar

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

Turned up on time this morning for the first time. Warmed my arms, shoulders up properly. Had a good chat with the coach re the shoulder, he gave me some exercises, to be fair to him he knows his stuff and I trust what he says and will do it. The session itself was handy with an equal amount of back crawl in there. If you need a laugh just come watch me do back crawl.....only thing funnier is me attempting breaststroke! :rolleyes:

Did a 400m set (200 breathe right, 200 breathe left) time - 7:25

Total Time 1.5hrs
    Total Dist 2,150mts

Friday Eve 4th Mar

Plan 8k easy with 2k pick up/tempo
    Actual 6.7k easy with 2k pick up/tempo

So back running now, felt fine no niggles. So when I do crap tomorrow injuries won't be the reason-fitness will....and I can live with that :) This is the first time in ages that I can say that I am not injured and my only wish now is not that i get a savage time in the Euro's or Galway 70.3, but that I don't hav to report on another injury for the year :rolleyes: wishful thinking I know but I am working on strengthening my weaknesses.

Dist 6.7km; Pace 4:30/km; Time 30:05

The pick ups
    1st KM 4:02/km
    2nd KM 4:02/km

really struggled to keep this pace. Experience has shown me however that doing a run like this after not running for a while (2 weeks) helps if you have a race the next day, which I have.

Right family meal tonight (turned 30 last week) and party time tomorrow night in Galway....if anyone's around I'll be in the King's Head from 7 on, drop in....buy me a pint :p

Can't believe I'm about to put the TT on the back of my car....6 months since Budapest....wow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Can't believe I'm about to put the TT on the back of my car....6 months since Budapest....wow :eek:

I Know! My roadie is out of commission so I'm going to have disturb the spiders who are minding it since budapest to inspect and prep the TT bike for a spin in the morning!

Sat 5th Mar

Plan Ballinrobe Duathlon
    Actual Ballinrobe Duathlon

Race Report

It's been a while since I woke up early for a race morning. I was shattered from a late night and a lot of driving friday evening. Still I was excited because I love a race morning, all the perp and the routine which is at this stage is well versed...however, being the first race of 2011, I suppose I was bound to forget something. My cycle shoes :rolleyes:

I think I was the last person to register too which meant I had little or no warm up (200m jog and a couple of stretches :o) So I decided to use the first run as a warm up. We got the go ahead and it was difficult not to blast off like everybody else did but I was disciplined and after a km or so things settled down and I was catching a few. It was a beautiful day and unusally warm for early March and I was roasting in my skins :rolleyes: Anyway into T1 and made up about 4 places here as I had no cycle shoes.

The bike route was 23k, out and back twice. There was one section where the surface rattled your bones and I couldn't stay on the bars for that section. My feet slipped off the pedals a few times and I was constantly on my toes. I knew that this meant cramps in my calfs on the second run. So forgetting the shoes worked against me in two ways 1) I wasn't as fast on the bike as I should have been 2) the second run time was going to suffer as a result. Anyway I still made a good few places on the bike and I knew I was in the top 20. With about 8k to go I just thought to myself that if I could catch the group chasing down the leaders that I'd be doing well.....then I thought "group??" There was a chain gang of about 8 cyclists. It was annoying beacuase there was nothing I could do to catch them. Ronanmac was after them too but not much he could do either. Into T2 and passed a couple out in there too.

My calfs cramped like hell on the second run. I had to stop after 300/400m to stretch and 4 lads whizzed by, Ronanmac being the first, I didn't see him again until after the race :) I caught two of those guys and the cramps eased a little then. So nothing else of note happened on the lovely run route along the river Robe. That was until with less than 50m to go the guy behind me attacked and while the heart/spirit was will the body was not able to produce a response. As soon as I went to pick it up camps started to kick in again, this time not only in my calfs but my right hamstring also.

So I settled for 16th place out of 130. Not a bad start to the season but I have a lot to do. I will post my splits later today. If I was to do this again in a couple of months time I think I would take 5 mins off my time all going well.

A great training event and fair play to all involved. I commented in the events form also, well done to all.

So that ended Base 2 Week 2. A very small volume week, I was recovering from skiing for most of it.

Weekly Summary

28 Feb-06 Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|3|02:45|35.35
    Swimming|1|1:30|2,150
    Cycling|1|0.45|27.5
    Running|1|0.30.5|6.7
    Strenth/Core|0|0|N/A

Not icluding one race. Bike 23k, run 6k, time 1:05:xx

Weight Watch

Last Week 88.5kg
    This Week 87.5kg

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 0
    Altogether This Block 5
    Overall 10

• Advertisement

Mon Morn 7th Mar

Plan Club 1.5hr swim
    Actual Nothing

The weekend caught up with me big time this morning. A lot of travelling, late nights and beer meant I was wrecked this morning and barely remembering turning the alarm off. I only go out now if I really must, and again next weekend I will have to but after that I don't have a reason for a few weeks. This is a good thing. Monday mornings swim is always in danger of being cancelled when I go out at the weekend so the less I do of this the better. Big week planned, 18.5hrs (17 hours now after missing this morning) so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

. Big week planned, 18.5hrs (17 hours now after missing this morning) so fingers crossed.

Dude 3 hour week to 18hr week.. ?? ahem **cough cough**

Good going in the duathlon, lungs and season opened!

Dude 3 hour week to 18hr week.. ?? ahem **cough cough**

O god.....I should have known better, what was I thinking :p

Well my plans and what actually transpires are two completely different things. 18 hours was n the plan but I will be taking it day by day and will listen to the body.

Mon Eve 7th Mar

Plan 2 x 20min Sweet Spot Training (90% of FTP 270w)
    Actual 2 x 20min Sweet Spot Training (90% of FTP 270w)

WU 10min spinning
    Set 1 20 min @ 270w, ave speed 38.8km/hr
    Rest 10 min spinning
    Set 2 20 min @ 270w, ave speed 39.4km/hr

Total Time 1 hour
    Total Dist 31.3km

Splits From Yesterday's Duathlon

Run 1 12:18 (3k)
    Bike 39:15 (22.2k) ave speed 34km/hr
    Run 2 13.04 (3k)

I have a PB for 3km of 10:36 set last summer, so room for improvement for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You doing the Knockma one this weekend, now that will be a tough one?

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    You doing the Knockma one this weekend, now that will be a tough one?

Well CW, welcome back. It took me almost a week to recover from my snow adventures! I can't make that one much as I would like to :(

Tues Morn 8th Mar

Plan Strength/Core AA Phase Session 7 of 8
    Actual Strength/Core AA Phase Session 7 of 8

Back in the gym for the first time in a month. It was strange though. I was finding the gym tough going a month ago, I do no gym work for a month and I felt much stronger today :confused: Anyway, I'll take the good.

I really hope my enthusiasm for early morning training returns soon, very difficult to get out of bed this morn!

Tues Eve 8th Mar

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Meet one of the club lads for a Z2 11km

The session tonight included a 1 mile TT. No point in me doing this as I have a one mile race in the Raheny Winter League tomorrow night. I felt sluggish and over weight during this run, taking a more pro active approach to the weight issue as of tomorrow ;)

Total Dist 11.5km
    Total Time 55:55 (4:53/km)

So no crisps, sweets or chocolate for 40 days and 40 nights...here goes.

Tomorrow I am testing a wetsuit in base2race and I have also signed up for 'swim school' So plenty to report tomorrow.

Weds Morn 9th Mar

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

Session included 15 x 100m off 2:00. Coming in on between 1:45 - 1:51. For the last 5 I really relaxed and I was coming in on the same times but with less effort so happy with that. My 50m kicks are now down to 1:05 from 1:15 at the beginning of the year :)

Weds Afternoon 8th Mar

Plan B2R swim analysis
    Actual B2R swim analysis

Great experience this afternoon in B2R. Report here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056140893&page=2 Once I get my e mail re what I have to work on I will post it here.

Weds Eve 8th Mar

Plan Ranheny Winter League
    Plan Ranheny Winter League

A one mile race. Windy night and the first third was straight into it so I started at the back shielding my self, like drafting in swimming, I was 'toe hopping", It seemed to work as I didn't really feel the full extent of the wind, then I picked it up. Passed two more and then took the final turn and last 300m or so. I knew I would catch one more but this guy still had some fight and hit back. If he had gone 4/5 feet ahaead of me then he would have broke me, but I just felt after he went a little ahead that that was his finally kick. I had one more and went for it again, this time I made sure to put a gap between us so he wouldn't be encouraged to have another go. I held him off, good race and great finish. Well done Raheny AC once again.

Wu 2km
    Race 1 mile-Time 5:40
    Cd 2km

Total Time 25min
    Total Dist 5.6km

Tues Morn 10th Mar

Plan Strength/Core AA Phase Session 8 of 8
    Actual Strength/Core AA Phase Session 8 of 8

Thankfully I am getting used to the early mornings once again. It's a habit I guess and although wrecked it just seemed like my body started to dress itself and go out the door and drive the car....before I knew it I was in the squat position rep-ing the sh!t out of it :D

In my hurry to get to bed last night I forgot to mention that I bumped into Macanri at the race, he wasn't racing but great to see him. He was in good form and had a great adventure by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Did Macanri mention his singing adventures;) I might try that base 2 race for a bike fit as i am hearing all sorts of good reports about it.

Did Macanri mention his singing adventures;) I might try that base 2 race for a bike fit as i am hearing all sorts of good reports about it.

Ha, nope but I heard of "Daddy's" vocal talents!

Thurs Eve 10th Mar

Plan 10km Z2 Run
    Actual 10km Z2 Run

Good run with one of the lads from the club (same as Tues) We upped the pace for the last 2, well he did and I wanted to stick with him, last two km ave at 3:59/km. Really enjoyed the run, back to the club next week though.

Time: 0:45:xx; Dist: 10km; Pace 4:34/km; HR Ave/Max: 151/181

Fri Morn 11th Mar

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

Getting to these sessions on time now which makes a big difference. The main set included 10x100m sprint off 2:15 with a 2 min break after the first 5.

1-5: Best 1:31PB (previous 1:43) Worst 1:39; Ave 1:37
    6-10: Best 1:37; Worst 1:46; Ave 1:43

So fell off in the last five but at least no 10 wasn't the slowest. Delighted to hit a PB there too. Really tried to concentrate on what was said on Weds in B2R but it all went out the window on this main set, it will come in time if I stick at it. Believe :)
    Total Time: 1:30
    Total Dist: 2,400m

So still feeling good this week, only missed that Monday session after a mad weekend. Just LSR and long bike left (with run off).

Friday Eve 11th Mar

Plan 18k LSR Z2
    Actual 18k LSR Z1/Z2

Lashing rain! So horrible out there, but they was no way I was missing this run. This is the longest run I've done in a year, and I've only done longer four times ever and AND I haven't done a LSR since Feb the 5th (shooked when I checked that just then:eek:). So why in the name of all things could did I not think of all those things before setting out this afternoon. I actually know why, I'm just really eager at the moment to do better-nothing wrong with that but it isn't smart. Anyway no harm done I hope, tomorrow will tell when I do my long cycle, cutting 20k off that actually.

I started out great but really really faded on the second half. I just couldn't force my legs to move fast enough to get me into Z2, I had the garmin set to my zone 2 and from 9km on it kept "at me" to work harder but I couldn't. Turned the alert off as it was driving me mad. Glad to get home in the end and shower. Legs v sore, but feel good for getting it done.

Time 1:34:38; Dist 18.7k; Pace Best/Ave 5:02/3:46/km; HR Max/Ave 146/162

My splits and HR graph make for interesting reading :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/72434181

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fair play for getting out in that weather today. You will be flying on the endurance front once you get a few of more LSR's into the legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

A great weeks training and racing there El D.
    Great pb there for the 100m - some day I hope to hit that. And great time in the 1 mile race, from what I saw you put in a very good strong finish.

That swim analysis sounds very good. I may try it out. What was the cost?

PS. Happy Birthday :)

Macanri wrote: »
    A great weeks training and racing there El D.
    Great pb there for the 100m - some day I hope to hit that. And great time in the 1 mile race, from what I saw you put in a very good strong finish.

That swim analysis sounds very good. I may try it out. What was the cost?

PS. Happy Birthday :)

Cheers man. A very interesting and solid week alright with the highlight being the swim analysis.

Sat Morn 12th Mar

Plan Z2 75km bike + 2.5k Run off
    Actual Z1 75km bike + 2.5k Run off

A most enjoyable morning despite the heavy showers and driving wind at times. Headed out with a mate, new enough to tri, he hadn't been out in a while on the bike so I never got into Z2 but I was happy out as I knew I had put in a pretty good/tough enough week especially after yesterday's LSR. First 15k in the small ring, the next 50k in the big ring including all hills/drags, felt very strong I must say, delighted with that, last 10k small ring again. We had a coffee stop half way around, as it was just about getting the miles in. 3 min transition. The run off was nicely paced and felt brisk but looking at the splits it wasn't all that fast. Thankfully I wore calf guards, compression socks and compression tights!! Sounds crazy I know but I am convinced that my calfs would have cramped otherwise, they were on the verge during the run.

Bike Stats

Time 3:10:05; Dist 76.77km; Hr Ave/Max 111/158; Speed Ave/Max 24.2/47.2km/hr

Run Stats

Time 11:44; Dist 2.5km; Pace 4:38min/km; HR Ave/Max 149/168;

Weekly Summary

07 Mar-13 Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|12|14:55|161.5
    Swimming|3|04:20|5,675
    Cycling|2|04:10|108.2
    Running|5|03.45|47.6
    Strenth/Core|2|2:40|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 87.5kg
    This Week 87.2kg

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 1
    Altogether This Block 6
    Overall 11

So a decent week all round, really delighted to get through it with no niggles. The fact that I didn't do the club run sessions meant I was able to get through it. Next week is a scheduled rest week but seeing as Base 2 has been so so disjointed I won't be taking a rest week (9hrs usually) but I will do less than this week, maybe 11/12hrs. My rest week is also my testing week but I won't be testing, no point this time round, will do at end of next period.

Here is my feedback from swim analysis:

Fantastic drive from arms under water.. but you could add to this with "free" drive and momentum from hips.
    Footage would indicate that dropping your head position/extending cervical vertabrae engaged your core effectively and it elevated legs/hips/body position. Additionally, it encouraged good streamline (plantarflexed) feet. *You have nice mobility at ankle joint.

Appears you kick from the knee. *The output from your legs is high but is not propulsive. *Amended head position reduced the pressure on your legs but didn't rectify the issue of kick.
    Kick recommendations;
    1. Maintain current 12x50 kick set, ensuring you time sets "in and out".
    2. Use hybrid stroke, crawl arms + fly legs. *This encourages a better kick for you.. Additionally it prompted a stronger head position and longer body. *When you get better at this hybrid stroke, it will also support your goal of a symmetrical body roll.
    3. *Continue with kicking on your back. Engage abdomine on your back also.

Recovery/
    The simple drill of touching you shoulder had a very positive affect on the timing and transfer of forces from the hip right through your whole stroke.. highly recommended!

Mon Morn 14th Mar

Plan 1.5h Club Swim
    Actual 1.5h Club Swim

Some good descending work this morning. Controlling pace, going through the gears. Did some sprint starts, sprint finishes and sprint in the middle (simulates upping pace to get on the toes of a swimmer further ahead). When descending coach said that first rep (of 4) I should concentrate on perfect tech, nice and long and easy. The next concentrate on the back end of the stroke and the next the middle part and back end. The last then should be full stroke.

Total Time 1:30
    Total Dist 2,550mts

Mon Eve 14th Mar

Plan 2 x 20min @ 95% 30min FTP
    Actual 2 x 20min @ 93% 30min FTP

The turbo trainers power only moves up/down in increments of 10, so instead of 2 x 20min @ 285watt it was 2 x 20 @ 280watt. Good session, the legs felt it but it felt good.

Total Time 1hr
    Total Dist 32.1km

Tues Morn 15th Mar

Plan Maximum Transition Phase (MT) Session 1 of 4
    Actual Maximum Transition Phase (MT) Session 1 of 4

So slightly more weight and less reps is the order of the day now.

Total Time 1hr

Tues Eve 15th Mar

Plan 10k easy Z2
    Actual 5.6km Z2

I was in a bit of a rush so had to shorten the length of this one, which is fine as I want to do a little less running this week. The Z2 pace is quickening for sure.

Time 25:12; Dist 5.6km; HR Ave/Max 151/161; Pace 4:27/km

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Spin tomorrow? Prob heading out at 9.30 or so myself.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Spin tomorrow? Prob heading out at 9.30 or so myself.

Actually I have hill repeats planned with a club mate (running) KB. If you are interested I'm planning a 60k bike 5k run on Sat (decided against the Fingal Dua).

• Advertisement

Weds Morn 16th Mar

Plan 1hr NAC long course
    Actual 1:10 NAC long course

With no more club sessions this week due to a gala I headed for the NAC. My coach gave me main sets for this mornings session and Fri mornings session too. So after a warm up and drills I did the main set:

Main Set 8 X 200m off 4:15

1. 3:33
    2. 3:43
    3. 3:37
    4. 3:35
    5. 3:38
    6. 3:40
    7. 3:39
    8. 3:44

Really concentrated on the 'free drive" from the hips from my feedback above. It meant that my arms were not hanging off me at the end. At times it actually felt great and I was gasping for air at all, most of the set was comfortable.

Total Time 1:10
    Total Dist 2,200m

Reflection No. 1

A similar session April 2010, but off 3:50!

1. 3:33
    2. 3:39
    3. 3:44
    4. 3:41
    5. 3:40
    6. 3:45
    7. 3:46
    8. 3:49

I am delighted to see that I'm not as far off last years times as I thought. The longer rest time is a big factor here though.

Weds Eve 16th Mar

Plan 1hr turbo session No. 28 + 2.5k run off
    Actaul 1hr turbo session No. 28 + 2.5k run off

The turbo session was tough, very tough as you will see from the numbers. Still, I enjoyed it :rolleyes: Had nothing with me on the run, just went on feel and concentrated on a high cadence and run technique.

Bike

Time 1:00; Dist 28.3k; Watt 196/560; Cad 92/185; Speed 28.3/70.8km/h

Total Time 1:11:xx
    Total Dist 32.8km

Reflection No 2

This day last year my totals were:

Swim 35,450mts
    Run 251.4km
    Bike 219.3km

Today:

Swim 36,950mts
    Run 262.4km
    Bike 828.1km

So swim and run are very close to last years totals at this time. The bike however this year looks a lot healthier. This time last year I was much fitter however. Due to the following reasons I would think: I was racing more at this stage and I had a lot done pre-christmas, not so this year. But I am getting there and I will be looking at a few races from next month and that will sharpen me up and give me top end fitness (i hope :o)

Advertisement