Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Actually I have hill repeats planned with a club mate (running) KB. If you are interested I'm planning a 60k bike 5k run on Sat (decided against the Fingal Dua).
    What time had you in mind for sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

kennyb3 wrote: »
    What time had you in mind for sat?

I hope to be on the road by 8:30 as I am hitting for the west after.

I hope to be on the road by 8:30 as I am hitting for the west after.
    Sounds good i ll pm you friday to confirm

St. Patricks Day Morn 2011

Plan Hill Repeats (Running)
    Actual Hill Repeats (Running)

Meet up with one of my club mates for this session. Legs felt very heavy after all that output on the bike yesterday but after a warm up and a few strides I was up for it.

WU 3.6k easy

Hill Repeats 230m x 6

1. 0:45
    2. 0:45
    3. 0:43
    4. 0:45
    5. 0:42
    6. 0:43

CD 2.2k easy

Could have toughed out 2 more reps but stuck to the plan as this is supposed to be an easy week and my legs are feeling yesterdays session. Good session this morning and great to have someone to do it with. Putting the finishing touches to the (first draft) warm weather plan now which I will post soon (to be ripped apart no doubt:o)

Total Time 55 min
    Total Dist 8.5k

Fri Morn 18th Mar

Plan Short swim session followed by strength/ core session MT phase session 2 of 4
    Actual Short swim session followed by strength/ core session MT phase session 2 of 4

Did some drills to warm up, and took it easy as today was my first sprint/speed work of the season. The NAC was crawling with kids (Leinster Open Gala) There were only two lanes available in the diving pool and it was a pure mess in there with people swimming the wrong way etc... anyway I just got on with it.

Main Set 6 X 50m

1. 0:43
    2. 0:41
    3. 0:41
    4. 0:42
    5. 0:41
    6. 0:42

Last summer I was coming in on average 37/38 sec but that was with speed work behind me. So aerobically I am fitter and there is plenty of time to add the speed yet.

Total Time 2:20
    Total Dist 1,700mts

Fri Afternoon 18th Mar

Plan Z2 16k Run
    Actual Z1 16k Run

Totally forgot that I was supposed to negative split these runs anymore after last week, I remembered half way around but it was already too late as I still had 3 big enough hills to tackle. Still I was only 30sec down the first half, much better than last week. A problem I have is getting my average HR into Z2, I dip in and out but it feels very fast in that zone :confused: Anyway great weather for training and I'm loving it at the moment :)

Time 1:17:06; Dist 16.1km; Pace 4:50/km; HR Ave/Max 147/161

• Advertisement

Sat Morn 19th Mar

Plan Z2 60k Bike with 5k run off
    Actual Z1 63k Bike with 5k run off

Went out again with my mate this morning, the average km/h was down a bit but again I don't mind right now. Today was all about doing 60+k on the bike and follow it up with 5k run. Brought the TT bike out as I plan to bring it to Grand Canaria, so my ass needs to get used of it again. Didn't spend long on the tri bars but when I did it wasn't too comfortable, so more km's on the TT needed.

The run was tough. Neither of us spoke for the whole 5 km's. But I am delighted with the session, suffer now reap the rewards during the summer :cool:

Bike Stats

Time 2:35:54; Dist 63.43km; Speed 24.5/37.5km/h; HR 106/153;

Run Stats

Time 22:07; Dist 4.9km; Pace 4:30/km; HR 157/174

Weekly Summary

14 Mar-20 Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|13|13:52|166.85
    Swimming|3|03:40|6.35
    Cycling|3|04:42|123.8
    Running|5|03:10|36.7
    Strenth/Core|2|2:20|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 87.2kg
    This Week 86kg:)

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 0:)
    Altogether This Block 6
    Overall 11

So much for this being an easier/less volume week than last week (not even an hour less :rolleyes:). But I'd be lying if I said I care. Right now as far as I'm concerned I put two solid weeks back to back...can't remember when that happened last. I will put in one big(ish) week this week and then have an easy (<9hrs) week before one more big follow by an easy and then to Spain for my biggest week ever. Thats the plan anyway :o

So how do I feel 8 weeks into my 2011 plan?

Overall Feeling good. Feel strong, happy with swimming and biking but running is a concern. I feel I am getting a good boost from my trips to the gym much as I don't like them. Looking forward to my weeks training in Grand Canaria, almost finished a 14 page document regarding it :rolleyes:

Swim Aerobically I am happy now. This is what you want to feel after 8 weeks of base training. The top end speed bit isn't there but thats cool will add that over the last 8-10 weeks or so. A new 100 PB of 1:31 was very pleasing too :) The swim analysis was a big boost to confidence and really opened my eyes. Delighted with my new wetsuit too and can't wait to try it out more.

Bike Still feeling good on the bike. Some nice turbo sessions in there and now beginning to think about hill work. The last two long bikes I kept in the big gear going up hills to build strength. Next phase there will be two FTP turbo sessions/week and I will include hill training in my long cycles for the next 6 weeks.

Run Same as my swim. Aerobically sound but no top end speed. This time last year it was the inverse situation. I was banging out PB's and flying but endurance found wanting. I have it the right way around this year :) the speed will come once I start to build it in starting next week. And that is the only thing I will be adding in the next phase-speed.

Race Watch

Ballinrobe Duathlon - felt very unfit and sluggish, finished 16th out of 130
    Raheny 1 mile - again, felt heavy, strong finish, finished 16th out of 32.

Weight Watch 12 Feb 86.5kg - 19th Mar 86kg. Went back up to 89.5kg after the skiing trip so delighted to have it back down again. Still 6kg to go :o

Missed Sessions Watch Made 26 out of 32 so 81%, missed my target for the second phase in a row (95%). 5 out of the 6 sessions missed were due to me calling a halt to a training week when I had the cold-the right call it turned out to be.

So in Base 3 it will be more of the same. Introducing some speed work to swimming and running and some hill work on the bike.

Good stuff this morning, that a nice run off the bike. im glad i cried off doing 120+ as my legs were crying at me after 90km this morning. Will defo give you a shout when your back off your trip. when you off exactly?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Good stuff this morning, that a nice run off the bike. im glad i cried off doing 120+ as my legs were crying at me after 90km this morning. Will defo give you a shout when your back off your trip. when you off exactly?

Not off KB until 19th April, so will have another Base Phase under my belt before I get out there.

On that trip here is my first draft of my training week. I want to get ye're opinions on it. Does it seem too much? Enough scope for recovery? At the end of the day we will have to go mainly by feel anyway once we get out there.

Not posting this in the ART section as there wasn't much help there last time and I appreciate the comments of those I know and trust and who know me also :)

Wednesday

07:00 – 08:00 First Breakfast (light)
    08:30 – 10:00 OW Swim with focus on starts (beach starts/Chest high starts etc)
    10:30 – 11:30 Second breakfast – fueling for long bike
    12:00 – 15:30 3 hour bike ride with tea/coffee/refuel stop for evening run session followed by with 20 min run off
    16:00 – 17:00 Chill out, get to track
    17:00 – 18:00 Track session
    18:00 – 18:20 Cool Down in pool if desired
    18:20 – bed time: Chill, eat, recover.

Thursday

08:30 – 10:00 OW Swim with focus on sighting
    10:30 – 11:30 Second breakfast – fueling for long run
    13:30 – 14:15 10 mile easy run
    14:15 – 16:00 Chill, refuel
    16:00 – 17:30 Hill Repeats (Bike)
    17:30 – 18:30 Cool Down in pool if desired
    18:20 – Bed time: Chill, eat, recover.

Friday

08:30 – 10:00 OW Swim with focus on drafting
    10:30 – 11:30 Second breakfast – fueling for long bike
    12:00 – 16:30 4 hour bike ride with tea/coffee/refuel stop for evening run session followed by with 20 min run off
    16:30 – 17:30 Chill out, get to track
    17:30 – 18:30 Track session
    18:20 – Bed time: Chill, eat, recover.

Saturday

08:30 – 10:00 5k sand dune easy pace run Maspalomas – Playa Del Ingles
    10:30 – 11:30 Second breakfast – fueling
    12:00 – 13:30 OW swim
    14:00 - Bed Time: Half day to relax, recover and get ready for last two days

Sunday

06:30 – 07:30 First Breakfast (light)
    08:00 – 09:30 OW Swim
    10:00 – 11:00 Second breakfast – fueling for long brick session
    11:00 – 17:00 5 hour bike ride with tea/coffee (maybe two) followed by 60 min easy run
    17:00 – 17:30 Cool Down in pool if desired
    18:20 – bed time: Chill, eat, recover.

Monday

08:30 – 10:00 OW Swim
    10:30 – 11:30 Second breakfast – fueling for long run
    12:00 – 14:00 20km Run easy pace
    14:00 – 16:00 Chill out, refuel
    16:15 – 18:00 Some TT effort on the bike (EG 7k x 3)
    18:20 – bed time: Chill, eat, recover, pack and a few well deserved beers!

Tuesday
    Home.

After seeing Nomadic's new MTB I thought I'd post up my new road baby too. Looking forward to my first road race on April 8th or 9th and the Swords League which is starting soon.

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=9030

Mon Morn 21st Mar

Plan NAC LC Session
    Actual NAC LC Session

No club swim again this morning but text the coach and the reply was for a main set "800 X 3, off 17min descending. First concentrate on perfect tech, second on the final third of stroke and third 800 for time, target for last one 14:40" So after a warm up here is what happened:

1. 15:44
    2. 15:33
    3: 15:13

So missed my target time in the last one (maybe in a 25m pool??) At least they were descending. Finished off with a kick set. didn't feel great in the water this morn, kinda back to my old 'slog it out' attitude.

Time 1:20
    Dist 3,000mts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

No one else has commented on your plan and I know SFA but a couple of observations:

Is it wise doing long runs, I think you have 2 in the afternoon heat? Would you be better swimming at that time and running earlier?
    A 20min run off a long bike followed by a track session could be tough on the legs and body - bring a roller and recover well.
    Ensure you're getting plenty of protein in to help the body recover during the week.
    Nutrition is going to be key during the week over there. Have you given that as much thought as the actual training?

You better than anyone know what you can and can't handle so listening to your body will be crucial.

Looks like a busy week. You'll be in flying form coming back from it

pgibbo wrote: »
    No one else has commented on your plan and I know SFA but a couple of observations:

Is it wise doing long runs, I think you have 2 in the afternoon heat? Would you be better swimming at that time and running earlier?
    A 20min run off a long bike followed by a track session could be tough on the legs and body - bring a roller and recover well.
    Ensure you're getting plenty of protein in to help the body recover during the week.
    Nutrition is going to be key during the week over there. Have you given that as much thought as the actual training?

You better than anyone know what you can and can't handle so listening to your body will be crucial.

Looks like a busy week. You'll be in flying form coming back from it

Thanks for your comments P.

The 3 of us going hate running first thing but we are going to wait and see how the first run goes, it will be around 20 degrees so not too bad. Re the brick followed by the track session, we will see how we feel, and I think that that will be our rule of thumb for the week. The track sessions will be short and sharp.

I have put together a 14 page document for this trip :rolleyes: taking everything into account (i hope). Nutrition had it's own section. We will be bringing plenty of protein with us for sure. As you said, listening to the body is critical, coming back I will have a better idea of what works and what doesn't, it will be interesting to see where changes had to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looks like a good weeks training plan ElD and well thought out. I agree with the running during the daytime heat and i would switch it around with the swim. Personally i would also look at a 30 min run off the bike, sure you will only be getting into your stride after 10/15 minutes:)

There is a possibility i may sneak a training week away in the next two months so i may be asking you for a copy of that 14 page document:)

Edit: You know this already but build up the time/distance coming up to the week away as the last thing you want to do is jump the volume up by 30/40%.

Looks like a good weeks training plan ElD and well thought out. I agree with the running during the daytime heat and i would switch it around with the swim. Personally i would also look at a 30 min run off the bike, sure you will only be getting into your stride after 10/15 minutes:)

There is a possibility i may sneak a training week away in the next two months so i may be asking you for a copy of that 14 page document:)

Edit: You know this already but build up the time/distance coming up to the week away as the last thing you want to do is jump the volume up by 30/40%.

Thanks JB. Regarding the 30min runs, well certainly it's something we could consider each day depending how we are feeling. Usually I am quick enough geting my running legs so 20 mins might be plenty!

Of course I could e mail that document, it is very specific to our trip to Grand Canaria and I am not a coach but you are more than welcome to it.

You are right about building up the time/distances which really I won't have the time to do it as I intend taking a rest/easy week the week before it. On those long cycles though we will take it easy enough with rest/refuel stops.

Mon Eve 21st Mar

Plan 2 x 20 min @ 93% of 30min FTP
    Actual 2 x 20 min @ 93% of 30min FTP

Good/tough sessions with the sweat flowing like a river off me! Average cadence of 97.

Total Time 1hr
    Total Dist 33.1km

Tues Morn 22nd Mar

Plan Strength/ core session MT phase session 3 of 4
    Actual Strength/ core session MT phase session 2 of 4

God these early mornings ... I better win a race this year! :D

Time 1hr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

A few comments/suggestions before everyone jumps in with the typical back slapping and reach arounds.

Wednesday
    Are starts that important? are you a front of pack swimmer? If not you'll be waiting for everyone else to go first.
    Second breakfast? Why if the "long" ride has a coffee stop is it needed?
    Track session on tired legs? If the track session is the quality session of the day should that not be before the cycle?

Thursday
    45 minute for a 10 mile easy run - respect
    Hill repeats on the bike - is this the quality session of the day? What is the impact of 10 mile run on your legs? I know I prefer my quads are not going to be 100% for a qaulity bike after more than 7 miles running.

Friday
    Hip drafing as well as on the feet? Could be an idea to practise rolling over people and buoy turns as well.
    Coffee stops? Is this a training week or a sportive week? Is four hours really a long ride? Would be my idea of training camp long to be honest
    Track session on what i am assuming would be tired legs? Which is the quality session of the day?

saturday
    Running on the sand dunes? Ever run on sand? its hard on ATs and similar. Assuming the last few days is a big load for you is this sensible? Especially as your stabilisation muscles will be fatigued as it is and overused them here could cause ITB issues.

Sunday
    What is the purpose of 60 minutes off a 5 hour bike?
    Two coffee stops on a 5 hour ride? Seriously?

Monday
    Again which is the quality session?

What is the overriding goal of the week? What is the focus?
    What is your focus for the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey El D just catching up on logs. On your plan, what are the key session? As other have pointed out, hard or long ruunning session in the middle of the day will drain you. I remember doing a 21km run in Lanza at 12-2pm last year with no water bottle to hand and I really suffered after it, and I mean really suffered.

Is such a long brick run necessary? Also a track session on heavy legs is a good way to toast yourself for the follwing day.

I'm with tunney on the coffee stops dude!

Whats the overall purpose of the week? What are the other 2 lads training for?

I'm soo jealous too :cool:

Well wear with the new steed, she's lovely!

Thanks for your comments and pointer Tunney, always knew you were a lurker :D, I thought that post would have you pulling your hair out and you'd have to comment on it's many many flaws! Like I said befroe, I can't afford a WWT package so I am really winging it so I really do appreciate the comments of more experienced triathletes such as yourself.
    tunney wrote: »
    A few comments/suggestions before everyone jumps in with the typical back slapping and reach arounds.

It's actually been a couple of days since that post and there hasn't been much response and I really think it is because, like me, people may not feel commenting on it as they too lack the experience of putting such a pregramme together.
    Wednesday
    Are starts that important? are you a front of pack swimmer? If not you'll be waiting for everyone else to go first.
    Second breakfast? Why if the "long" ride has a coffee stop is it needed?
    Track session on tired legs? If the track session is the quality session of the day should that not be before the cycle?

I think starts are important enough, just to get yourself in position behind the good swimmers, I certainly wouldn't be waiting around. Also I feel that getting the body used of the high heart rate before settling into the race.

Second breakie? Well personally before an early morning swim I like to eat light so I will be needing more substantial before I head out.

Track session on tired legs? Good point, I should really change that around for sure. thanks.
    Thursday
    45 minute for a 10 mile easy run - respect
    Hill repeats on the bike - is this the quality session of the day? What is the impact of 10 mile run on your legs? I know I prefer my quads are not going to be 100% for a qaulity bike after more than 7 miles running.

45 min 10 mile run == easy (mistake obviously)
    Re the 10 miles followed by the hill repeats, ya one of the lads flagged that so reconsidering that one for sure.

Friday
    Hip drafing as well as on the feet? Could be an idea to practise rolling over people and buoy turns as well.
    Coffee stops? Is this a training week or a sportive week? Is four hours really a long ride? Would be my idea of training camp long to be honest
    Track session on what i am assuming would be tired legs? Which is the quality session of the day?

"Hip drafting as well...." not sure what you meant here.
    I have included the coffee stops as I know one of the lads struggles a bit on the bike. These are opional though and we will take it as it comes. For me and the other two lads 4/5 hours in the saddle is a long bike ride for us, longest I've ever done is just over 3 hours, after all I am not training for ironman.
    saturday
    Running on the sand dunes? Ever run on sand? its hard on ATs and similar. Assuming the last few days is a big load for you is this sensible? Especially as your stabilisation muscles will be fatigued as it is and overused them here could cause ITB issues.

We won't be running in the dunes for the entirety, if it proves too much we will just stick to the flat part of the beach.

Sunday
    What is the purpose of 60 minutes off a 5 hour bike?
    Two coffee stops on a 5 hour ride? Seriously?

Monday
    Again which is the quality session?

What is the overriding goal of the week? What is the focus?
    What is your focus for the season?

The 60 min run off the long bike - The guy training for IMUK requested this type of session, what would you suggest as a better alternative and I will put it to him.

Re the coffee stops, I suppose these are really for refueling, the bike courses that we will be doing are very challenging.

Re Monday, the TT efforts will be the quality session here and perhaps the run will be cut to 10 miles or so.

My aims/objectives are listed in the first post of this log.

The purpose?

1. Really give us a good head start to the season
    2. Come home with no injury concern!
    3. Come home motivated and itching to get racing and even more training
    4. Not to come home wrecked/demotivated etc…
    5. And most importantly – to enjoy it!

Thanks again man for taking the time to comment and most of your comments will be implemented. As I said before, I have never done this type of thing before and no doubt a lot of the plan will go out the window once we get over there, listening to the body will be key I am sure. Maybe when I come back I will be in a position to help others planning similar trips :)

Hey El D just catching up on logs. On your plan, what are the key session? As other have pointed out, hard or long ruunning session in the middle of the day will drain you. I remember doing a 21km run in Lanza at 12-2pm last year with no water bottle to hand and I really suffered after it, and I mean really suffered.

Is such a long brick run necessary? Also a track session on heavy legs is a good way to toast yourself for the follwing day.

I'm with tunney on the coffee stops dude!

Whats the overall purpose of the week? What are the other 2 lads training for?

I'm soo jealous too :cool:

Well wear with the new steed, she's lovely!

Thanks dude, I hope I answered most of your questions above.

I think we may move the long runs to the evenings and track sessions in the early morning. The other two lads are training for IMUK and Ironman70.3 Galway. The coffee stops, well we will see how everybody is getting on. I don't think that they are a bad idea, especially if someone is struggling on a long ride. It can give a person room to breathe, re-group and push on, instead of plodding along completely deflated. It is also good for group morale I think and for the enjoyment aspect of the trip. IMO for me, at this time of the year it's more about covering the miles and not how long it took.

I am loving the bike I must say!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thanks for your comments and pointer Tunney, always knew you were a lurker :D, I thought that post would have you pulling your hair out and you'd have to comment on it's many many flaws! Like I said befroe, I can't afford a WWT package so I am really winging it so I really do appreciate the comments of more experienced triathletes such as yourself.

Sorry to burst the bubble but I'm not a lurker, I don't even log onto boards to scan topics anymore. I just look at threads when people email me a link point out things that they think I might find funny, might want to comment on. I am subscribed to a few threads (the GU Gels one) and check them too other than that I do no lurking :) I even stopped reading some of my favourite threads as its a little like a film that you know the ending to. Someone sent me the link to your plan and hence I commented.
    It's actually been a couple of days since that post and there hasn't been much response and I really think it is because, like me, people may not feel commenting on it as they too lack the experience of putting such a pregramme together.
    I think starts are important enough, just to get yourself in position behind the good swimmers, I certainly wouldn't be waiting around. Also I feel that getting the body used of the high heart rate before settling into the race.
    Can you hang with the lead swimmers? For domestic races I'll start withe the front, I won't stay with them but the races are small and by and large the quality of swimmers average. For larger races abroad I'm not too worried about a fast start but a clean swim.
    Second breakie? Well personally before an early morning swim I like to eat light so I will be needing more substantial before I head out.

Alot of people surprisingly put on weight on WWT camps as they overeat as they overestimate the amount of work that they do.
    Track session on tired legs? Good point, I should really change that around for sure. thanks.

My pleasure.
    45 min 10 mile run == easy (mistake obviously)
    Re the 10 miles followed by the hill repeats, ya one of the lads flagged that so reconsidering that one for sure.

Good!

"Hip drafting as well...." not sure what you meant here.

most people think that the place to draft is on the feet. You can draft there but the best draft is sitting off the hip and side of the person. Tucked in nicely, takes practise to be able to do it and get your stroke in sync with theres so you don't disturb them, do it right and they drag you around without even knowing you are there.
    I have included the coffee stops as I know one of the lads struggles a bit on the bike. These are opional though and we will take it as it comes.
    Emmm and the quality of your sessions will be reduced because he isn't up to it? If it was me............. He needs to HTFU :)
    For me and the other two lads 4/5 hours in the saddle is a long bike ride for us, longest I've ever done is just over 3 hours, after all I am not training for ironman.
    4/5 hours is a long cycle by anyones book, but broken up into a two hour cycle and then two 1.5 hour cycles its not that much! Watch the coffee stops!
    We won't be running in the dunes for the entirety, if it proves too much we will just stick to the flat part of the beach.

Sand is harsh I think
    The 60 min run off the long bike - The guy training for IMUK requested this type of session, what would you suggest as a better alternative and I will put it to him.

But whats the purpose of the session?
    Re the coffee stops, I suppose these are really for refueling, the bike courses that we will be doing are very challenging.

Can you not eat on the bike. I love coffee stops but there is a time and a place.
    Re Monday, the TT efforts will be the quality session here and perhaps the run will be cut to 10 miles or so.
    My aims/objectives are listed in the first post of this log.

Okay - if you think it fits.
    The purpose?

1. Really give us a good head start to the season
    The season started long ago.
    2. Come home with no injury concern!
    Injuries 2-3 weeks after training camps are hugely common.
    3. Come home motivated and itching to get racing and even more training
    4. Not to come home wrecked/demotivated etc…
    Sleep well, watch the beer/wine and eat well but don't overeat.
    5. And most importantly – to enjoy it!
    I love training camps - I've not been on a week long for a while now and would love to go again. Will be some time before I can.
    Thanks again man for taking the time to comment and most of your comments will be implemented. As I said before, I have never done this type of thing before and no doubt a lot of the plan will go out the window once we get over there, listening to the body will be key I am sure. Maybe when I come back I will be in a position to help others planning similar trips :)

My pleasure. Ride lots and be safe.

• Advertisement

Sorry to burst the bubble but I'm not a lurker, I don't even log onto boards to scan topics anymore. I just look at threads when people email me a link point out things that they think I might find funny, might want to comment on. I am subscribed to a few threads (the GU Gels one) and check them too other than that I do no lurking :) I even stopped reading some of my favourite threads as its a little like a film that you know the ending to. Someone sent me the link to your plan and hence I commented.

Ha, only messing re 'lurker' comment, damn all to see here anyway! That's cool though that someone alerted you, I appreciated the comment and have already made changes.
    Can you hang with the lead swimmers? For domestic races I'll start withe the front, I won't stay with them but the races are small and by and large the quality of swimmers average. For larger races abroad I'm not too worried about a fast start but a clean swim.

I usually start in the 2nd/3rd row of swimmers and I don't hang on for the whole race but I feel I do get dragged out for the first 200m or so and then I try to find others to draft off and once I have settled my HR I will try to jump onto the next set of toes ahead if I can. It worked well last year and I was usually out in the top 25% or so.
    Alot of people surprisingly put on weight on WWT camps as they overeat as they overestimate the amount of work that they do.

I actually put on 3kg during a week of skiing recently :o
    most people think that the place to draft is on the feet. You can draft there but the best draft is sitting off the hip and side of the person. Tucked in nicely, takes practise to be able to do it and get your stroke in sync with theres so you don't disturb them, do it right and they drag you around without even knowing you are there.

Wow, now this is very interesting! All my reading-How come I have never heard of this. It does make sense. Research begins tomorrow into this, thanks.
    Emmm and the quality of your sessions will be reduced because he isn't up to it? If it was me............. He needs to HTFU :)

4/5 hours is a long cycle by anyones book, but broken up into a two hour cycle and then two 1.5 hour cycles its not that much! Watch the coffee stops!

Ya, I am sure he will, he is very tough and maybe I am under-estimating him, I hope so. Eating while on the go will have to be done, kinda overlooked that. We will watch the stops, I'll chat to the other lads about it.
    But whats the purpose of the session?

It's obvious I guess I didn't really think this one through. I suppose what he wanted was to see how it would feel. After looking at the profile of that bike ride I will be suggesting a 30 min run instead.

Injuries 2-3 weeks after training camps are hugely common.

Sleep well, watch the beer/wine and eat well but don't overeat.

I love training camps - I've not been on a week long for a while now and would love to go again. Will be some time before I can.

My pleasure. Ride lots and be safe.

Good advice above, will certainly take it on board. The injury comment 2/3 weeks after the training week is something that will ring loudly with me. Looking forward to it now, I know I won't always be able to do it so I really do appreciate the chance. Cheers.

Tues Eve 22nd Mar

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Club Run Session

Good session tonight, first with the club in a while, great to be back doing some faster stuff. Coach gave us 12 X 400m with a target of 76-78 sec, with 200m recovery.

1. 1:21
    2. 1:16
    3. 1:16
    4. 1:15
    5. 1:17
    6. 1:16
    7. 1:17
    8. 1:16
    9. 1:18
    10. 1:14
    11. 1:17
    12. 1:15

So not bad pacing, could be better. Felt much better than I thought I would :)

Time 1:30
    Dist 13.9km

Weds Morn 23rd Mar

Plan 1.5hr Club Swim
    Actual 1.5hr Club Swim

Well this is my third week in a row of consistent training, haven't missed a session in quite a while now. I'm beginning to feel it now, admittedly I'm not going to bed as early as I was but arms were tried this morning and I must be careful with my shoulder. I was planning a rest/easy week next week anyway and it can't come quick enough really. 900m of kicking this morning went surprisingly well after last night's running.

Main Set 300m x 2 off 6 min (ave 5:20)
    200m x 4 off 4 min (ave 3:25)
    100m x 6 off 2 min (ave 1:48)

Time 1.5hr
    Dist 3,150mts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

"most people think that the place to draft is on the feet. You can draft there but the best draft is sitting off the hip and side of the person. Tucked in nicely, takes practise to be able to do it and get your stroke in sync with theres so you don't disturb them, do it right and they drag you around without even knowing you are there."

+1
    Its also worth pointing out that its kinda important to pick the side of the person your drafting so that you're happy breathing AWAY from their elbow on their recovery. So, if you normally swim and breath to the right, then move to the persons right side etc ... otherwise ... they'll know you're there and you certainly know you're too close when you incur some elbow to jaw contact.

+1 to the bit about the practise - but in races like Dublin City its a great tool to have once you're getting the drag off the right person.

If Id one suggestion regarding the long spins on your week away it'd be - that you decide a warm up / cool down distance or period at the start and end of the cycle and then the rest, carve up as periods when each participant will start out riding on their own (gap of 2 or 3 minutes) on the same route - but working off whatever target HR/Power/Pace they want to. For a middle section it might be fun to regroup to eat (whilst on the bike) before getting back to some focused work to keep things sociable.

Anyhow - hope you get the weather ... assume you'll be sporting the vibrams around the airports on the way - they'll love you in knock ;)

interested wrote: »
    If Id one suggestion regarding the long spins on your week away it'd be - that you decide a warm up / cool down distance or period at the start and end of the cycle and then the rest, carve up as periods when each participant will start out riding on their own (gap of 2 or 3 minutes) on the same route - but working off whatever target HR/Power/Pace they want to. For a middle section it might be fun to regroup to eat (whilst on the bike) before getting back to some focused work to keep things sociable.

Anyhow - hope you get the weather ... assume you'll be sporting the vibrams around the airports on the way - they'll love you in knock ;)

Thats a good idea re the long cycles. We will string out anyway with some of the climbs that we will be facing. Taking the hill repeats (bike) on Friday out becuase of this. So that is a good idea, I think I will tell the lads 'no coffee breaks!'

I most certainly will be sporting my new footware....been barely out of them since I got them :cool:

Weds Eve 23rd Mar

Plan 2 x 20 min @ 93% of 30min FTP
    Actual 2 x 20 min @ 93% of 30min FTP

Almost didn't do this session as I am not feeling the best :( A cold...another bloody cold :confused: Well last time I called a halt to all activities and I was grand within 3 days. This time, as it is still above my head, I am going to push through until Saturday as I plan an easy week next week with Sun and Mon off. Anyway once I got going this evening I was fine, the second set was faster and higher cadence.

Time 1hr
    Dist 33.1km

Thurs Morn 23rd Mar

Plan Strength/ core session MT phase session 3 of 4
    Actual Strength/ core session MT phase session 2 of 4

Feeling better this morning, you can't beat a good night sleep :)

Thurs Eve 24th Mar

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Club Run Session

Really beginning to enjoy my running again, well these short speed/tempo sessions anyway. I don't think I will ever make for a good distance athlete :rolleyes: I like the speed stuff. Although still way off the pace at these sessions I'm doing fine and most important-enjoying it :)

WU 4k
    Main Set 4 X 1,000mts 200m recovery

1. 3:19
    2. 3:29
    3. 3:31
    4. 3:31

Sub Set 4 X 200mts 200m recovery

1. 0:32
    2. 0:32
    3. 0:31
    4. 0:29

Cool Down 3k

Time 1.5hr
    Dist 13km

Fri Morn 25th Mar

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

I think this was probably the toughest swim session ever, this year anyway for sure! I'm actually glad that I've Monday off, think I need it. Here is the main set:

Main Set

5 X 200m with 20sec vertical kick off 4:30
    followed by
    5 X 200m with 20sec vertical kick off 4:20

Time 1:30
    Dist 2,850mts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good speed on the 1km reps yesterday El D.

Whats the vertical kicks about? Do you do them as a super set after the 200? We wer doing 2*200m max this morning and if you had asked me to do a vertical kick I'd have just let myself sink to the bottom out of sight :cool:

Decided whether you are racing tomorrow? Hopefully see you there and we can try hang in together.

• Advertisement

Good speed on the 1km reps yesterday El D.

Whats the vertical kicks about? Do you do them as a super set after the 200? We wer doing 2*200m max this morning and if you had asked me to do a vertical kick I'd have just let myself sink to the bottom out of sight :cool:

HA funny, I almost sank too :D Check this out, except in was free style kick that we were doing with arms well above our heads. For 20 seconds straight after the 200's, god it is awful :ohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5MKDcQ6u9I

I think it gets you kicking from the hips and I found that it forced my ankles to be nice and 'bendy'.

Those 1km reps will do....for now;)

Advertisement