Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Guys need a little help - I want to paste in a graph here on my log from excel, how would I do that?? Thanks.

Probably the easiest thing is to take a print screen of the graph, copy it into MS paint, save the file, copy it to photobucket or imageshack and use the image paste function.

Or else just use the attachment function on boards (the little paper clip) to save the file.

The above is probably as clear as mud:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks man, will try that in the morn.

Tues Morn 25th Jan

Plan Strength/Core Session (AA Phase Session 3 of 8)
    Actual Strength Session, no time for core

Although I had plenty of time I failed to get the core part in, was kinda zombie like for the first half hour :rolleyes:

Time1hr 20min

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

In other news, I got some compression gear in the post today from Compressport - full socks and calf guards.

I seem to be collecting compression stuff at an alarming rate...what are your first impressions of this gear?

Will probably sign up for the calf guards, but have always steered away from the full sock, as I though they would get seriously sweaty on a long run.

Izoard wrote: »
    I seem to be collecting compression stuff at an alarming rate...what are your first impressions of this gear?

Will probably sign up for the calf guards, but have always steered away from the full sock, as I though they would get seriously sweaty on a long run.

Wore the socks all evening yesterday-must say they felt great. Will use them for long runs/duathlons etc.... The calf guards I haven't used yet, I got the 'ultra silicone' hoping that they help my achilles. If you do order them make sure you get the special code in Triathlon 220 mag (20% off anything over £60) I'll give it to you if you want.

Tues Eve 25th Jan

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Club Run Session

WU 3.7k
    Main Set
    350m X 3 hill; 230m X 3 hill
    1:20 0:47
    1:13 0:45
    1:14 0:43
    CD 2.5k

Total Dist 7.94k
    Total Time 1hr 20min

Dropped back into the group just below the elite's tonight. After Sunday I felt I have to go back to go forward so I think I made the right call. I was actually feeling strong through out and it was a good session. A note of concern-both achilles were hurting pretty bad. I hope that this is just the body getting used of all the running again.

• Advertisement

Read this article http://www.joefrielsblog.com/ and felt I might just run my own check. Took a few dates from last year and a few more recent ones and graphed them. Basically it is an indication of base fitness or aerobic endurance and if the trend is upwards then so too is fitness. Simples ;) I will keep an eye on this during the Base period each week this way I don't just have to rely on faith, I'll have numbers to back me up (I'm a maths teacher and I believe in numbers more than anything in this world :p)

Picture 1.png

Wore the socks all evening yesterday-must say they felt great. Will use them for long runs/duathlons etc.... The calf guards I haven't used yet, I got the 'ultra silicone' hoping that they help my achilles. If you do order them make sure you get the special code in Triathlon 220 mag (20% off anything over £60) I'll give it to you if you want.

Cheers...I have creaky achilles' myself, so I'll go that route.
    I have a code from Triathlete Europe, but thanks for the offer.

BTW, are you a white or black sock sort of chap?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Read this article http://www.joefrielsblog.com/ and felt I might just run my own check. Took a few dates from last year and a few more recent ones and graphed them. Basically it is an indication of base fitness or aerobic endurance and if the trend is upwards then so too is fitness. Simples ;) I will keep an eye on this during the Base period each week this way I don't just have to rely on faith, I'll have numbers to back me up (I'm a maths teacher and I believe in numbers more than anything in this world :p)

Picture 1.png

Interesting article.

BTW, are you a white or black sock sort of chap?:)

Black sock all the way dude :)

Weds Morn 26th Jan

Plan 1.5h Club Swim
    Actual 1hr 20min Club Swim

For the first time this year getting up early wasn't a problem, reinforcing my belief that once you force yourself into a habit, after 2 weeks or so it's your routine. Kicked my legs off this morn, 1,200mts out of the 2,800mts in total were kicking alone.

Main Set 125m X 8 off 2:30; made all (forgot my watch) range between 2:12 - 2:20

Total Time 1hr 20min
    Total Dist 2,800mts

Long day ahead with a turbo session in the afternoon and the Raheny 2 mile race this evening planed......bed will be welcomed tonight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Hi El D

Quick question Re the calf guards. I measured up last night and it looks like i'm in the T2 size based on the width of my calf at its widest point (up near the knee,as per the chart) but the length may be a bit long. The T1 is shorter in length but will probably be too tight. Just wondering if you had the same problem and is it the width of the calf that is the overiding factor in choosing the size? Would make sense if it is.

• Advertisement

dare2be wrote: »
    Hi El D

Quick question Re the calf guards. I measured up last night and it looks like i'm in the T2 size based on the width of my calf at its widest point (up near the knee,as per the chart) but the length may be a bit long. The T1 is shorter in length but will probably be too tight. Just wondering if you had the same problem and is it the width of the calf that is the overiding factor in choosing the size? Would make sense if it is.

Hey D2B, I didn't have this problem myself, I fit into the T3 size. They say if you fall between two sizes then go for the larger and I can see why. The guards are a pretty tight fit as you'd expect. But, it was actually surprising how tight, so I would have to say that the overiding measurement has to be calf diameter as you suspected.

Wed Afternoon 26th Jan

Plan 60 min turbo, session 23
    Actual 60 min turbo, session 23

Time 60min; Dist 28k; Cad Ave 95; Watt Ave/Max 185/370; Hr Ave/Max 113/138;

Wed Eve 26th Jan

Plan Raheny Winter League 2 Mile Race
    Actual Raheny Winter League 2 Mile Race

Plan was to try and take it easy enough for 1st mile and see what I had in me for the second mile. As it happened I got a little caught up in the race in the first half mile, but I was happy with my showing here and it certainly beats coming last ;) I was on my own for the entire race, past nobody and nobody past me so uneventful in that way.

WU 2.4k
    Race Dist 2 miles; Time 12:36; HR Max/Ave 183/173; Ave Pace 6:14/mile

Splits
    1st mile 6:07
    2nd 6:20
    123ft 0:09

CD 2k

Getting concerned about my right Achilles now. It is sore on warm ups and warm downs, during high intensity, intervals/race pace, it's fine. It got so bad on the cool down that I ended up walking/limping back to the club house. My hope is that it's the body still adapting to the stresses of training again so I will give it a week, if it's still at me I'll go to my Physio who seems to have sorted out my left Achilles I'm glad to say.

Total Dist 8k
    Total Time 35 min

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

On the achilles is it sore first thing in the morning (first few steps)? or is it sore to pinch?

Do on off hot and cold. Iced water follwed by epsom salts and hot water. I find arnica and tiger balm great too. I still rub both into both achilles and my lower calf before bed after every tempo or fast run now just as a precaution.

Hope its okay dude. some extra cycling and swimming for few days and no running might do the trick.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    On the achilles is it sore first thing in the morning (first few steps)? or is it sore to pinch?

Do on off hot and cold. Iced water follwed by epsom salts and hot water. I find arnica and tiger balm great too. I still rub both into both achilles and my lower calf before bed after every tempo or fast run now just as a precaution.

Hope its okay dude. some extra cycling and swimming for few days and no running might do the trick.

Thanks for the concern KB3. Interested suggested the epsom slats last year too and they did seem to have a positive effect, thanks for reminding me. I will scrap the planned run session tonight, very reluctantly as I'm on a good roll at the moment of making sessions but it's for the best.

In the gym this morning I actaully noticed an exercise that I was doing was straining the right achilles unnecessarily so, I changed the way I do it and hey presto-no pain. My left knee started giving me trouble lately too and would you believe I found another exercise that I was doing was putting serious strain on it.....so doing an alternative from now on. This has opened my eyes to the fact that I have to be more aware of what I'm doing in the gym anymore, not simply going through the montions like a zombie.

Thur morn 27th Jan

Plan Strength/core session, AA Phase session 4 of 8
    Actual Strength/core session, AA Phase session 4 of 8

Got the core work done this morning. Didn't sleep well at all, maybe after yesterdays 3 sessions I was hyper-hyper.

Time 1hr 15min

Thurs Eve

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual Nothing

Resting the achilles. Annoying as I am putting so much emphasis this year on consistent training (making 95% of sessions for each training block). But it's the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Resting the achilles. Annoying as I am putting so much emphasis this year on consistent training (making 95% of sessions for each training block). But it's the right call.
    I'm in the same boat. It's annoying but resting a niggle for a day or 2 will keep the consistency up where as a week or 2 off will ruin all the nice graphs.

nomadic wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. It's annoying but resting a niggle for a day or 2 will keep the consistency up where as a week or 2 off will ruin all the nice graphs.

Wise words Nomadic. As well as missing tonights session, think I'll replace tomorrows LSR with a turbo session.

Fri Morn 28th Jan

Plan 1.5hr Club Swim
    Actual 1hr 15min Club Swim

Main Set
    20X50m off 1:15 1-5 easy; 6-10 pick up; 11-15 faster; 16-20 all out.

Started out coming in on 1:00 ended up at 43sec.

Coach spent a good 15 mins on streamlining the body when pushing off from the wall. He acknowledges that this doesn't happen in OW swimming but maintains that it gives you a feel for it. He was right. When pushing off the wall with force I found out that by maneuvering my body it made a huge difference and I continued to concentrate on that for the rest of the session. Very interesting.

Picked these up yesterday in Dunnes, were 35 euro now 15, great value. They will do the job nicely :)

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

(sorry I don't know how to insert a pic without you having to click on it, maybe someone could inform me??:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 on Nomadic, mind those achilles tenderly! Its a pain in the backside alright when a niggle interrupts you in a groove of training. Otherwise good training ElD very interested to see how your year pans out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Did you try running in them yet? Like on grass or something. Saw them the other day but was concernedthat they would pop off when running, but if they work for running then bargain at €15!!
    re the photos, compress the image to <70kb first, then on your boards profile page there is an option to upload photos. After you upload the photo click on it and it gives you some bb code that you can copy and paste and hey-presto! Image appears in you post.
    Any bother let me know and I'll try explain it some other way

• Advertisement

If you do order them make sure you get the special code in Triathlon 220 mag (20% off anything over £60) I'll give it to you if you want.

Hey El D, I might take up up on that offer code after all...the TE code is only for the regular guards, not the achilles one..:mad:

DustyBin wrote: »
    Did you try running in them yet? Like on grass or something. Saw them the other day but was concernedthat they would pop off when running, but if they work for running then bargain at €15!!
    re the photos, compress the image to <70kb first, then on your boards profile page there is an option to upload photos. After you upload the photo click on it and it gives you some bb code that you can copy and paste and hey-presto! Image appears in you post.
    Any bother let me know and I'll try explain it some other way

Thanks for that Dusty, finally I know how to do that. I tried those cleats this weekend for a short garden run and they seem grand I must say, a bargin me thinks!

Hey El D, I might take up up on that offer code after all...the TE code is only for the regular guards, not the achilles one..:mad:

Sorry for the delay Izoard, mad weekend. Here are a choice of codes:

220No1Kona - 20% off when you spend £60 or more
    Also
    220NewFull - 10% off the full socks

Fri Eve 28th Jan

Plan LSR 18k
    Actual 60 min turbo (session no. 24)

Wanted to spare the achilles so just replaced the LSR

Dist 27.3; Time 60min; Max Speed 56.8km/h; Watt ave/max 174/391; Hr ave/max 119/160;

Some tough big gear reps in there, was shattered after.

Cadence sensor has been on the blink lately and is now gone completely (cable is so damn fragile, more care needed with next one) Shotgun if your reading this where did you order a replacement?

Sat Morn 29th Jan

Plan 70k Z2 Cycle
    Actual 75k Z2 Cycle

Dist 75.59k; Time 3:03:43; Speed Ave/Max 24.6/49.4km/h; Hr Ave/MAx 123/156

Another cadence problem today, my garmin sensor wasn't working, it was too cold to stand there messing with it so just kept going, annoying as I like to keep cadence between 90-100 :mad: Usually I love my long cycles but not yesterday. Perfect day for it though, it's just that I am not that fit yet and it was a real struggle. But I guess it's my first in a long time. Despite two pairs of socks, cycle shoes and covers my feet were like ice blocks! Lost my discipline (usually pretty good) towards the end and started to ignore my HR by getting out of the sadle and going hard up the hills. Still great to get it in.

Week Summary

17 Jan-23 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|10|12:14|154.89
    Swimming|2|2:40|5
    Cycling|4|5:04|132.89
    Running|2|1:50|17
    Strenth/Core|2|2:40|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 87kg
    This Week 85.5kg

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 1
    Altogether 1

So with running curtailed this week the number are not balanced but I have to adapt and do you has to be done I guess. Disappointed to miss a session this week but it's gonna happen now and again. Low this week - finishing last in my club XC race. High - swimming in general, just enjoying it right now:)

Also got a garmin foot pod on friday, just want to keep a closer eye on foot cadence. I try to count my stikes for 30 sec and X 2 but that means that I am only really concentrating on it for those 30 or so secs and I forget about it again. This way I will be more conscious of it.

Sun 30th Jan

Rest day. Had a 30th the night before so a rest day here made sense, especially as I've planned my biggest week (in termsof km's and hrs) ever this week.

Mon Morn 31st Jan

Plan 1.5hrs Club Swim
    Actual 1.25hrs Club Swim

Main Set 4 x 150m off 3min; 6 x 100m off 2min; 8 x 50m off 1min;
    150's - coming in on 2:51-54;
    100's - coming in on 1:52-54;
    50's - coming in on 0:53-54;

Not good as you can see, but it will come good in time, the key-consistency.

Total Time 1hr 15min
    Total Dist 2,800m

Have been getting in the pool 15 min later than planned since returning to the pool. That must change this week.

Sorry for the delay Izoard, mad weekend. Here are a choice of codes:

220No1Kona - 20% off when you spend £60 or more
    Also
    220NewFull - 10% off the full socks

Excellent. Will give them a bash - cheers.

Mon Eve 31st Jan

Plan 60 min turbo, session 25
    Actual 60 min turbo, session 25

Dist 28k; Time 1hr; Cad Ave/Max 98/138; Watt Ave/Max 194/338

Went well, have more that a couple of niggles. I hope these sort themselves out as the body adapts. Rest week next year so they'll get a chance to recover.

Thur morn 1st Feb

Plan
    Strength/core session, AA Phase session 5 of 8
    Actual Strength/core session, AA Phase session 5 of 8

Achillies and knee seem better this morning, those exercise must must been the cause of my discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Rest week next year so they'll get a chance to recover.

Savage stuff ... everyone else takes a rest week every 4 or every 6, one every 52 weeks ... just savage man ! ;) surely theres a mid-term break or something on the horizon ... dont teachers get a week or something at valentines day or the like still ?

interested wrote: »
    Savage stuff ... everyone else takes a rest week every 4 or every 6, one every 52 weeks ... just savage man ! ;) surely theres a mid-term break or something on the horizon ... dont teachers get a week or something at valentines day or the like still ?

LOL :D Look Interested when you are as dedicated as I am you only schedule rest weeks every 3/4 years! I can't wait now...only 11 months 30 days left!

• Advertisement

Mon Eve 1st Feb

Plan Club Run
    Actual Nothing

Had to give this a miss due to an unfortunate/unforeseen event. A reminder (not that it was needed) that there are much much more important things in life. Return to running will have to wait.

Advertisement