Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Mon Eve 1st Feb

Plan Club Run
    Actual Nothing

Had to give this a miss due to an unfortunate/unforeseen event. A reminder (not that it was needed) that there are much much more important things in life. Return to running will have to wait.

Hope everything is ok El D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hope everything is ok El D.

Thanks Jacky, just have to wait and see now.

Weds 2nd Feb

Plan 1.5h Club Swimming
    Actual Afternoon session in the NAC

After yesterdays upset I didn't get to bed until very late so club swim went out the window. Luckily I have a half day on Weds (just the way my timetable worked out this year) so I headed to the NAC. Only had an hour as the pool closes at 2:30. I like to do drills when I am on my own because we don't do any with the club.

WU 400m

Drills 200m kick
    200m paddles
    200m 'belly to the wall', fins on
    200m single arm, fins on

Main Set 16 x 100m 1-4; easy 5-8; a bit faster 9-12; fast 13-16 all out;
    Only got through 10 before I was kicked out :(

1-4 - 1:57; 1:57; 1:56; 1:57;
    5-8 - 1:49; 1:48; 1:46; 1:48;
    9-10 - 1:43PB; 1:44

Total Dist 2,200mts
    Total Time 1hr
    I think that that is a new PB, never really kept an eye on it before but I am from now on. Actually I feel I'm on the brink of getting that 100m down to under 1:40, my stroke is just beginning to feel longer and stronger, my fitness is just holding me back at the moment....but that wil change.

Straight home and.....

Plan 60 min turbo, session 26
    Actual 60 min turbo, session 26

Dist 28.2k; Time 60min; Cad Ave/Max 93/141; Watt Ave/Max 198/361

Cadence sensor working again :rolleyes: Really enjoy these 1hr sessions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

9-10 - 1:43PB; 1:44

I think that that is a new PB, never really kept an eye on it before but I am from now on. Actually I feel I'm on the brink of getting that 100m down to under 1:40, my stroke is just beginning to feel longer and stronger, my fitness is just holding me back at the moment....but that wil change.

You should try it El D, you should find it easy. You are a far better swimmer than me and I can get under 1.40 (albeit at the start of a session not the 9th set). I would guess you will be closer to 1.30 than 1.40

catweazle wrote: »
    You should try it El D, you should find it easy. You are a far better swimmer than me and I can get under 1.40 (albeit at the start of a session not the 9th set). I would guess you will be closer to 1.30 than 1.40

Thanks CW,I suppose I could just lash one out but I want it to happen within a main set, it will happen soon enough though.

Thur morn 1st Feb

Plan Strength/core session, AA Phase session 6 of 8
    Actual Strength/core session, AA Phase session 6 of 8

Total Time 1hr 20min.

Thurs Eve 3rd Feb 2011

Plan Club Session
    Actual Club Session

No running for 8 days as I was giving the achilles a chance. Arrived down at the club house, went to jump into the medium/easy group but coach told me they were doing 5 miles easy and I should jump into the elite group as they were doing 8 miles 'easy'. Found the pace a little pacey at first and 3 of us were detached after 2 miles :rolleyes: We worked together though and latched back onto the back of the group. The achilles? Well good news. I did feel it at times and I was thinking :mad::( But I lately I started to do my chi/pose drills and so whenever I felt a twinge I just went through my checklist in my head and hey presto twinge gone. You wouldn't believe the amount of focus this takes. I'd then drift again into my poor form but when it happened I just re-focused and it felt great :) The last 4k were at 4:16 pace or so, HR kept low enough too and I was finishing strong right up at the top. So I kinda feel the same as the swimming, stronger than last year, just unfit.

Dist 13.3km; Time 1:03:04; HR Ave/ Max 155/180; Pace 4:45/km

• Advertisement

Friday Morn 4th Feb

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Nothing :mad:

Slept in a very funny position Weds night and really hurt my left shoulder. Was at me all day yesterday, can't rise it above my head, putting on a top is a painful event now. Got up this morning all set just hoping shoulder would be ok, after a few failed attemps to do my swim stroke I knew I'd have to leave it. Annoying. I've actually done this before and I know it is not serious, it'll be fine by Monday but since making consistency my No. 1 objective this year it really gets to me when I miss a session, I couldn't get back to sleep for an hour because I was thinking about it. I have missed 3 sessions now in 3 weeks, none of them could be helped but still frustrating. I really have to learn to let it go and move on.

Fri Eve 4th Feb

Plan 60 min turbo, session 27
    Actual 60 min turbo, session 27

Dist 30.3k; Time 1hr; Cad 92/127; Watt 213/369

This was prob the toughest turbo session yet but I was able for it. 213 represents my highest hour wattage yet.

18k Z2 run planned for 9 am, looking out now I really really hope that that driving rain and gale force wind dies down and especially for the planned Sun morn 80k bike.

Sat Morn 5th Feb

Plan 18k Z2
    Actual 16k Z2

Down home again this weekend. Met a mate of mine at my house at 9am and headed off on a route that I mapped on google at 18k, however I hit off a different route hence the 2k difference or so, not that google map is that accurate but it isn't that far off. A wet/rainy morn but what a wonderful route! Never did it before, there is one mile called the "golden mile" it's beautiful. Great having someone with you, and we were able to hold a conversation all the way around-the way it should be for a Z2 run. My mate actually has almost identical running objectives/goals this year including Dublin marathon and it is going to be an unbelievably tight affair between us as will any other races we do together. Great having someone at home with similar aspirations.

Time 1:27:30; Dist 15.97km; Pace 5:29/km; HR Ave 145; Cad Ave 77

First time using the foot pod and confirms what I thought. I will work on getting that cadence up to 86 or so. Although I must look into calibrating it first.

Forgot to mention, I did mean to go at 5min/km pace but a big breakfast put paid to that! What an ejit I am! still Z2 is Z2.

Sun Morn 6th Feb

Plan c.80k Z2 cycle
    Actual c.82k Z2 cycle

The most miserable and dark morning I remember in a long time. It plashed on me every minute of this session it was also freezing. A tough tough session. Decided last year after a discussion here that I'd be doing a lot of these long bikes solo. I so wish I had a group today. Still, sessions like this will be the making of me, long summer days lay ahead. It was a miserable week/weekend personally so this was an apt end.

No data as foreman was dead, forgot to charge it. Time 3:27:08

Week Summary

17 Jan-23 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|10|13:57|154.89
    Swimming|2|2:15|4
    Cycling|4|6:27|166.3
    Running|2|2:30|29.3
    Strenth/Core|2|2:45|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 85.5kg
    This Week 85.3kg

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 1
    Altogether 2

So not my biggest week ever after all. Missed a session with a shoulder problem, which is improving but not as fast as I would have hoped. Still I will try the swim in the morn and if it's still not right I will get out. This is a restin/testin week, the last of Base 1 and really really feel like I need it. I will cut out the strength/core sessions and do only one session of my strongest discipline (biking). I have had two low milage run weeks so I will keep up the running and I can't curtail swimming at all. Next week I will give a more detailed summary as the first block will be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Dude hope everything is alright.Fair play sticking it out in that weather yesterday. great session.

• Advertisement

Thanks for linking to the old race reports i enjoyed reading them. You were a busy man last year with all the events you done:p and some great results to boot.

Mon Eve 7th Feb

Decided last night that there is no point in swimming with this shoulder the way it is, especially as I have a free morning tomorrow morn when I could d a session, so an extra days rest on it. The injury doesn't concern me as it is getting better. Missing pool time does concern me however. Anyway, to the test....

First Bike Test Of 2011 - FTPw Test

Plan FTPw Test
    Actual FTPw Test

Did my first FTPw test today, didn't know what to expect as I have never done one before. Didn't want to go mad and not last the 30 min so decided to try and keep cadence above 90 and speed above 37km/h. As the test progress however I thought that I could push it more, I wanted to be a wreck after it-which I was! The last 8 min or so I pushed the speed up to 41-43km/h and the cadence 100-104 rpm.

The Test

Warm Up 15 min; 6.4km; Then stretch for 5 mins
    30 min test CALIB to '0'; Slope set to '+1'

Watt Ave 299 (my FTPw)
    Cad Ave 98
    HR Ave 159 (my LTHR)
    Speed Ave 40km/h
    Dist 20km

Cool Down 15 min; 6km.

So target for the season, as per my first post, is to better my FTPw by 15% before Galway 70.3. So that means my target FTPw is 344 :o

Happy with that, really happy. Of course not 100% accurate but so long as I replicate the test each time then I can compare. Looking forward to the next test already, where I will start at averaging 40km/h straight away.

So starting in Base 2 I will be doing one FTP session per week, any suggestions on what those session should be? I must check my e mails because I know I asked MCOS this last year.

Total Time 60 min
    Total Dist 32.4km

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Dude hope everything is alright.Fair play sticking it out in that weather yesterday. great session.

Thanks man. Things won't be settled down for a while yet but thanks. Ya it was miserable but glad I stuck it out and I stayed in the hot bath for 40 min after :)
    Thanks for linking to the old race reports i enjoyed reading them. You were a busy man last year with all the events you done:p and some great results to boot.

Thanks JB, I really enjoyed doing them too. I do love racing I must admit, won't be cutting back too much this year either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

20km in 30mins - :eek:
    Great going!

Thanks Mac, obviously not 100% accurate, no hills or wind to contend with either....but I'll take it :)

Forgot the most important thing - set my training zones based on that test - doh!

Power

Zone 1 Less than 55% of FTPw < 164
    Zone 2 55% to 74% of FTPw 165 - 221
    Zone 3 75% to 89% of FTPw 222 - 266
    Zone 4 90% to 104% of FTPw 267 - 311
    Zone 5 105% to 120% of FTPw 312 - 359
    Zone 6 More than 120% of FTPw >360

Heart Rate

Run Zones My Zones
    Zone 1 Less than 85% of LTHR < 135
    Zone 2 85% to 89% of LTHR 136 - 141
    Zone 3 90% to 94% of LTHR 142 - 149
    Zone 4 95% to 99% of LTHR 150 - 157
    Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR 158 - 162
    Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR 163 - 169
    Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR >170

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

So starting in Base 2 I will be doing one FTP session per week, any suggestions on what those session should be? I must check my e mails because I know I asked MCOS this last year.

Hey ElD good work on the T30, 299w is a nice return. Don't mean to rain on the parade or anything but FTP is the best output for an hour so your true FTP based on that test may be in the region of 291w, unless you could go on and sustain the 299 for another half hour. I first tested with a T20 and the value was 95% approx the value of FTP, so my T20 score*0.95. For a T30 I think its 97.5% for an estimate, so T30 score*0.975. Bambaata did a T30 recently so he may be a good guy to check with. Anway I digress, thats a solid foundation whatever way you look at it and well done ;)

Ultimately the FTP development is simple enough, 2*20min or 3*15mins at 90-95% of your FTP. You can start with 10 mins rest and drop it each week. Or start with 2*10 mins reps and build up to 2*20. This is threshhold work. For VO2max stuff, smaller reps of maybe 6*3mins at 105% or building intensity stuff etc..

Ultimately you want to be holding your target output for a lower RPE. So a sign of improvement if you are already at 2*20mins at 90% with X rest would be doing them at 5bpm lower than before. If you get to a stage where you are doing the 20mins comfortably, it may be time to another T20 or T30 or if your are brave a T60!

There are lots of different workouts but I personally like the 2*20mins on the sweet spot. Simple and time effective. Add a 15 mins run onto it and its a nifty way to spend 90mins :)

I was doing 12-15min reps up to Christmas at 80% but then got to a stage where I could hold 80%FTP comfortably for an hour inside base zones. So, I opted for 90% recentlly and its quite a jump. I did 2*15 mins with 5 mins rest last week and will go for 2*20mins with 5 mins rest this week at 90-92%FTP. My A goal is IM however so this isn't a key session like it was when I was training for Olympic Distance. There are many more varieties of FTP torture workout fun, mloc123 I think has a folder of em.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Thanks so much MCOS, what a great response and I really appreciate it as I'm sure anybody else reading it will, I know it takes time.

I thought I had read that before re T30*0.975, but I took it from this post on JF blog http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/05/quick-guide-to-training-with-heart-rate-power-and-pace.html. In it he just says to take your 30 mn reading. Anyway you are right, I wouldn't have held that for 1 hour. But if I am to reach my training objective of my improving my first FTPw test by 15% then I will have to hold it for an hour and more! Forgot to mention that yesterday: Mt FTPw target now 344 (299+15%). :eek:

Thanks for the suggestions on sessions to do. So once a week 'on the sweet spot' 2x20 min at 90-95% for base 2. In Base 3 it'll be twice a week and in the Build phases the VO2Max stuff (3*6min at 105%). Sound good? I like to keep it simple. I will PM mloc123 as well. Thanks.

Tues Morn 8th Feb

Plan NAC swim session
    Actual Nothing

Well, 1:30 to bed last night due to the personal reasons dogging me the last week, shoulder still sore so stayed in bed. Good news is that the 'personal issue' have had a happy ending :) Onwards and upwards, I wouldn't even mention it but it has affected training so it must be mentioned.

Tues Eve

Plan Run Club Session
    Actual Run Club Session

No garmin again but it was an easy 14k in 1hr 12min or so. Good to be building up the miles in the month of Feb.

Weds Morn 9th Feb

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Nothing

The shoulder called for more rest, so with a planned sleep in tomorrow morn I just swapped them. So going to test it tomorrow morning. This morn was supposed to be my first T1000m, but plans change (well used of it now :rolleyes:) I will do it next Weds.

Weds Eve 9th Feb

Plan Raheny 3 mile race (+WU and CD)
    Actually Raheny 3 mile race (+WU and CD)

Race Report

Wet, rainy night but ideal really for running. Ran this race about a month ago so I had a time to beat, last time I just did my best and was F'd after. So I planned to beat my last time (20:08) and actually aimed for 19:30 (6:30/mile).

Did my usual warm and brought my power breathe, used it before all my races last year, just to open up the lungs, find it works for me. Met Macanri before the race and we discussed a few things including pacing for this race. Turned out we had the exact same target pace. We got the go and off we went, straight away I knew I was off to quick but that was fine just needed to get into position first and then relax into desired pace. Once I eased back, which wasn't easy as I let a good few pass me, I felt comfortable and strong. Mac was a good 10/15m ahead and sure enough we were both going faster than we had intended, 6:12 for first mile. I reined it in a bit and looked ahead to see Mac was doing the same and before we knew it we were shoulder to shoulder. This helped and we clipped along nicely. Not sure what Mac ate before the race but now and again he seemed to get a "boost" ;):p Funny stuff but I was afraid to laugh as I was trying to hold my form....I couldn't help myself though! Anyway second mile 6:24 and third 6:24, in the last 200m I decided to see what was in me, wasn't sure if Mac would come along but he was happy out and unbelievably disciplined not to. So last time I was wrecked and this time, 53 sec faster and a slower HR, I was grand. Again really enjoyed the race and fair play to Raheny AC and their stewards.

Comparisons

3 Mile Raheny Race:
    12/01/2011: Time 20:08; HR Max/Ave 190/178
    09/02/2011: Time 19:15; HR Max/Ave 183/171

Run cadence tonight was 81.5, really need to get that as near as possible to 90.

You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned my achilles in over a week now. Well thats because it's fine. The week I took off running I decided that I really had to commit to the chi/pose running drills and technique that I was shown my C McKiernan back in Oct. Now any time I feel a tweak I go through the mental checks re my form. I am finding that it's working :) Now my quads feel a little sore, more than normal but I take it that this is my body adapting so no worries. Anyway enough waffle.

Total Time 41 min
    Total Dist 9k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Dude i never really asked you how do you find the new bike? Is it notably lighter, stiffer and faster?

Make sure you say yes as im only looking for an excuse to pull the trigger and indulge my spending addiction:)

Been mental busy the last week, mainly organising a debate in school with Dub West candidates Joan Burton, Brian Lenihan, Leo Varadkar and Joe Higgins to name a few. Anyway gotta get through this quick so only number for most.

Thurs Morn 10th Feb

Planned NAC Swim
    Actual Nothing

Didn't sleep till 5am.

Fri Morn 11th Feb

Planned NAC Swim
    Actual Nothing

Wrecked from day before and the debate which was a great success :)

Friday Eve 11th Feb

Plan LTHR/FTPa test
    Actual LTHR/FTPa test

LTHR and FTPa test. Basically: run for 30 min hard, your ave HR for the last 30min is your FTHR and your ave pace for the entire 30 min is your FTPa (functional threshold pace).

WU 2k

Time 30 min
    Dist 7.38k
    LTHR 176
    FTPa 4:04/km

CD 2k

Total Time 51min
    Total Dist 11.38km

Tough test. Found it hard to get the pace right but will know better next time.

So here are my training zones

Run Zones My Zones
    Zone 1 Less than 85% of LTHR <150
    Zone 2 85% to 89% of LTHR 151 - 157
    Zone 3 90% to 94% of LTHR 158 - 165
    Zone 4 95% to 99% of LTHR 166 - 174
    Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR 175 - 180
    Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR 181 - 187
    Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR >188

I made a mistake last week when posting my Bike LTHR zones so here is the corrected version: My LTHR (bike) 159

Bike Zones My Zones
    Zone 1 Less than 81% of LTHR <129
    Zone 2 81% to 89% of LTHR 130 - 142
    Zone 3 90% to 93% of LTHR 143 - 148
    Zone 4 94% to 99% of LTHR 149 - 157
    Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR 158 - 162
    Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR 163 - 167

Sat 12th Feb

Planned 60k Z2 Bike
    Actual 53k Z1 Bike

Dist 53k
    Time 1:59:49
    Ave HR 121
    Ave/Max Speed 26.1/50.1km/hr

Week Summary

17 Jan-23 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|10|13:57|154.89
    Swimming|0|0:00|0
    Cycling|2|2:59:49|85
    Running|3|3:38|33
    Strenth/Core|0|0|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 85.3kg
    This Week 86.5kg

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 3 :(
    Altogether 5

End of rest week and Base 1.

Base 1 Summary

So four weeks down how am I looking?

Overall feeling I actually feel stronger and more powerful in all three disciplines than at any time last year. The fitness isn't there though yet, it is looking promises but my biggest limiter is the injuries.

Swimming Started well but a shoulder injury put me out of action for two week. Pity as I had just made a couple of tweaks to my stroke and they were having a big effect, I hope I can remember them.In general I was rolling better, bilat breathing and my stroke was getting longer and more powerful. Once back at it I will make up for the missed sessions by concentrating on swimming during the easter holidays.

Bike Biking is going very well. Haven't missed a bike session and got 4 long spins in in a row, don't think that happened last year at all. A lot of work on cadence and smooth pedaling, will be doing some threshold work in Base 2. FTPw 299 and LTHR 159, covered 20k in that 30 min test.

Running Started off very slow and sluggish but I am getting there. Biggest indicator yet is the comparison between The Raheny 3 mile races, one in Jan and the other in Feb, nearly a min faster and much lower HR. FTPa 4:04/km and LTHR 176, covered 7.38k in the test (covering 8k is the obvious target here)

Weight Watch

16 Jan weight 88kg - 12th Feb weight 86.5kg

Missed Sessions Watch

Total missed sessions - 5 out of 43. Made 88%, so failed in this block to meet my target of 95% :(

Base 2 Week 1

Mon Eve 14th Feb

Plan 60 min threshold work on bike
    Actual 45 min threshold work on bike

Meant to be 2 x 20min at 90% FTPw, but only had 5 min to WU and then I put the 2 x 20min back to back, I was in a mad rush :rolleyes:

Time 40 min; Dist 29.5k; Ave speed 40.2km/hr Ave Watt 270

Tues Eve

Plan Club run session
    Actual Club run session

WU 2.5k
    Main set 3 x 1mile
    1st) 5:53
    2nd) 5:47
    3rd) 5:55

CD 2.5

Total Time 1hr 15min
    Total Dist 10.5km

Weds Morn 16th Feb

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

Shoulder held up well although it is still sore, needs strength me thinks.

Main Set

600m x 1 off 12 min
    300 x 2 off 6 min
    150 x 4 off 3 min

Total Time 1 hr 20min
    Total Dist 2,800m

Weds afternoon 16th Feb

Plan 75k Z2 Bike
    Actual 75k Z1 Bike

Trying to free up Sat morn so did this this afternoon ans Sat I will do my cadence work. Just made it home before darkness fell.

Time 2:41:03; Dist 74.83km; Ave/Max Speed 28/55.9km/hr; HR Ave 124

Find it hard to get the ave HR up, I did spend a lot of time in Z2 too though.

Phewwww, up todate, I'm shattered.

• Advertisement

To Train or Not to Train?

I know the answer to that question. Last year I got a cold, I kept training and ended up with pneumonia, this set me back 6 weeks. When you have a cold your immune system is weakened and by training it you weaken it even more. Plus the body needs energy to recover and by training you divert this energy. I'd be stupid to make the same mistake again, so I am clearing my training schedule for the rest of the week, let the cold run it's course (7-10 days) and then get back to it.

I may seem very clear cut about this but make no mistake, it's a really tough call as things are going pretty well. It's also bad timing-heading skiing on Sunday for a week with 45 kids. So I hope when I get back I will be ready to get going again.

Base 2 Week 1 - poor start :(

What do you do by the way when you get a cold - train or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

What do you do by the way when you get a cold - train or not?

The neck rule seems to work for me. Anything under the neck = no training, over the neck = training. Basically anything chesty is a no go for training.

I had laryngitis I think a few weeks ago and I didn't know whether to train or not. It was just my throat that was sore. I got back into easy enough stuff and it worked out ok.

I'll go skiing for you if you wanna give it a miss.

Thanks dude but I love snowboarding but can't afford it anymore :( so this is my only chance, no black slopes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Hey El,

Based on your experiences last year, I would recommend taking it easy when you have the cold.

It is a killer to just sit back. I was out for over 2 weeks with the flu and only getting back at it easy in the last couple of days.

Enjoy the skiing.

Hey El,

Based on your experiences last year, I would recommend taking it easy when you have the cold.

It is a killer to just sit back. I was out for over 2 weeks with the flu and only getting back at it easy in the last couple of days.

Enjoy the skiing.

Thanks NT,

Missing a week in Feb won't ruin my season so it's a no brainer really. God I am getting very sensible in my old age (30 next week :o)

Thanks NT,

Missing a week in Feb won't ruin my season so it's a no brainer really. God I am getting very sensible in my old age (30 next week :o)

So you moving up to my AG then? :)

So you moving up to my AG then? :)

Yep, time for me to mix it with the big boys! :pac:

Yep, time for me to mix it with the fatter men! :pac:

LOL welcome ElD! Tis a competitive AG alright

Well back from school ski tour. A few niggles but nothing serious, shin badly bruised and a tiring week watching out for 45 teenagers but well worth it. However......all that was on offer food wise was carbs, carbs and more carbs. Back to square one with me and my weight then.

Before I went I was nursing a cold but that actually cleared up just before I set off, confirming that I did the right thing re not training while having the cold. This did mean however cancelling 5 planned sessions which straight away means I won't make my 95% target of sessions made for a second block in a row. All I can do now is make sure I don't miss any more.

This week is Week 2 of Base 2 which was supposed to be a 16.5 hour week. That will not happen now as I am very tired and pretty sore, thats were I'm at.

So just to summarise Week 1 of Base 2:

Week Summary

14 Feb-20 Feb|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|4|06:05|118.3
    Swimming|1|1:20|2,800
    Cycling|2|3:30|104.5
    Running|1|1:15|11
    Strenth/Core|0|0|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 86.5kg
    This Week 88.5kg

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 5
    Altogether This Block 5
    Overall 10

Grand Caneria Training Camp 19th April - 26th April

Well here is something positive that I organised while I was gone. I can't afford a training camp with pro coaches, meals etc, etc... So what I've done is booked flights, a weeks accommodation and bike box for €220 from Knock (would have been €450 from Dublin!!) There will be myself, my OH's bro and a mate of mine. Two of us doing Galway 70.3 and one doing Ironman UK.

I would like two swim sessions per day as I have some catching up to do in that discipline, a morning and evening session perhaps, one pool based and one OW perhaps.

So over the next few weeks i need to put together a training schedule. I am not a coach so any input here would be greatly appreciated. A lot has to be taking into consideration: Volume, intensity, key sessions, rest/recovery etc.... We will have access to a 25m pool, a running track, a beautiful beach with great sand dunes apparently and of course great cycle routes with hills if you want and long flat (TT) sections.

Thanks to Cunavalos for his advice and input already, he gave me loads of info on the area. Must post this in the A/R/T section too and open it up the wider boards public.

Now to organise my week and catch up on all the logs....this will take me the week probably!

• Advertisement

That is a great offer near tempted myself at that price:) Are you planning on 2 or 3 sessions a day? I would have said 1 OW swim session a day would be enough (plenty of time for pool work back in chilly Ireland) focus on the bike and to a lesser extent running whilst you have the weather and the good roads available to you.

Enjoy the trip ye jammy begger!!

Advertisement