Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

nomadic wrote: »
    Coolmine is it? I've just paid my membership up in the NAC and I don't think I'd ever use it if I wasn't swimming up there so I'll stick with it for a while. I am contemplating doing some of the masters sessions up there though.

+1 to that.
    + 2 to a Bambatta training log.

Where and when is the masters swimming?

Thanks for the thread space ElD:p

Edit: Are you doing Waterford Half?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

No dude not doing it, no point as I'm not ready for a sub 90.....Larne Half in March ;)

Tues Eve 11th Jan

Plan Club Run Session
    Actual 11k Z2

Got wind of the session planned and I was in no shape for 12 x 600m with 4k WU and 4k CD. Anyway first week back should be easy Z2 stuff plus I am doing the Raheny 3 winter league 3 miler tomorrow night. Garmin died half way around so the rough numbers

Dist 11k; Time c.55min; HR c.151; Pace 5:00/km

Thats more like it :) Perhaps those hills at home are tougher than I give them credit for :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Macanri wrote: »

Where and when is the masters swimming?

Thanks for the thread space ElD:p

Edit: Are you doing Waterford Half?

http://www.nacmasters.com/index.html

I assume your asking El D the second question but if not then no I'm not.

See you tomorrow night El D - I'll be wearing bib no. 148.

Weds Morn 12th Jan

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Nothing

Didn't get to sleep till 4am :eek: Don't know why, it was annoying, turned the alarm off at 3. At least I replaced it with an afternoon session.

WU 400m
    Drills 800m
    Main Set 3 x 200m descending X 2
    200m-4:02
    200m-3:51
    200m-3:36

200m-4:03
    200m-3:53
    200m-3:42

Total 2,400m; 54 min.

Actually felt grand here, really tried my best in the last 200 but I was fading fast. Did a similar session last week and I was totaled at the end so happy to see a return to some sort of form.

Interesting thing is as I was doing the drills I was concentrating on DPS and I started kind of sculling at the beginning of the stroke, kinda like making a figure of 8 with my hand. It seemed like I 'caught' more water and propelled myself a couple of more inches. Found it difficult to keep it up for longer than 500m but maybe it's something I should work on.

• Advertisement

Weds Eve 12th Jan

Plan 3 mile race
    Actual 3 mile race

WU 2.4k
    Race Dist 3 miles; Time 20:08; HR Max/Ave 190/178;

Splits
    1st k 3:58
    2nd k 4:11
    3rd k 4:12
    4th k 4:16
    900m 3:30 (pace 3:53)/km

CD 2k

A 3 lap race and perfect conditions. Great to meet Mac and Christeb for the first time. I was concerned with my right quad, it was pretty sore but it held up. Before a race I always have a plan and this evenings race was no different. The plan though wasn't too ambitious however, this being a transition week and all. So go steady for the first 2 laps and see whats in the tank for the 3rd. Mac planned on running his HM pace for the first two laps and that was perfect for me, so for 2 and a third laps we were shoulder to shoulder. Mac then decided to see how many he could catch so off he went effortlessly, it wasn't long until I couldn't even see him, great kick. So I decided to see what I had left and to my surprise I caught 3 more in the last km or so, two in the last 300m. I was spent after but so so good to be back racing, reminded me why I train! The quads were both sore after, I suppose it's just the fact that the body is getting used to training again.

Thurs Eve 13th Jan

Plan 5k recovery run
    Actual 5k recovery run

Time 27:08; Dist 5.11k; Ave HR 143; Pace 5:19/km

Right quad still very sore but nothing to worry about long term.

Fri Morn 14th Jan

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Nothing

It was 12 before I hit the hay last night so I knew there was a good chance I would miss this one, plus I think I need a day off to let the quads recover. I suppose one really should plan a rest day in their first week back just to ease the transition.

Sat Morn 15th Jan

Plan 60k Z2 bike
    Actual Nothing

Had a busy weekend at home with a neighbours funeral so not much time to get out. I wouldn't have gone cycling anyway such was the gale force wind and heavy rain-too dangerous. The one weekend I didn't bring the turbo home :rolleyes:

Plan 12k Z2 run
    Actual 13k Z2 run

Dist 13k; Time 1hr15min44sec; Ave HR 148; Ave Pace 5:48/km

Quads recovered, felt sluggish, must drop a few kg's now, I know that would help that sluggish feeling.

Weekly Summary

Well this was a transition week, didn't want too much too soon then injury type thing. Next week will be along the same lines, the aim being getting used to the two times a day schedule once again, and re-introducing strength and core into my life. My main concern is my lack of pool time, lack of sleep hindering my chances of getting up in the morning. So a good start to the week is vital, to bed early tonight and in the pool tomorrow morn.

One final note is the inspiration I've took from the lads performances in Waterford yesterday. I am really up for the Larne Half now and cannot wait.

10 Jan-17 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|6|05:15|65.4
    Swimming|1|1:00|2.4
    Cycling|1|1:00|25
    Running|4|3:15|38

Weight Watch

Last Week 88kg
    This Week 88kg

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Give me a shout any weekend you fancy a spin. I ll prob try get a few swords spins in soon but need to get a bit of a base first, plus they are very early so if im not doing them i ll be getting out myself.

Any plans for any duathlons, there is one in skerries in mid feb (fingal tri club) i might give a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Give me a shout any weekend you fancy a spin. I ll prob try get a few swords spins in soon but need to get a bit of a base first, plus they are very early so if im not doing them i ll be getting out myself.

Any plans for any duathlons, there is one in skerries in mid feb (fingal tri club) i might give a shot.

Likewise on the spins it would be good to head out with like minded people. The earlier the better.

Good start EL D you will be lashing out the 200km+ weeks in no time

Cool lads, Nomadic is also around this area and some weekends, so when I stay up for the weekend I'll let ye know. I plan on spins with the club too KB3 but right now they are ramping things up in prep for the summer league, hills etc... I'm only doing Z2 spins for the next two months or so.

Base 1 - Week 1
    Mon Morn 17th Jan

Plan 1.5h Club Swim
    Actual 1.5h Club Swim

Well the main aim this morning was just making the session. Aim achieved :p
    The session itself I found really tough, a serious dose of reality. Here are some of the number from the main sets:

250m x 3: 1) 3:55 2) 4:01 3) 4:00

100m x 10 off 2min: Range 2:00 - 2:07

As ye can see I couldn't even make the RT's, a long way off my HIM pace goal of 1:34/100m :( Still, I love a challenge and so long as I get into the pool consistently 3 times a week. Felt sick and dizzy after :rolleyes:

Time 1.5h
    Dist 2,750mts

Mon Eve 17th Jan

Plan 60 min turbo, session 21
    Actual 60 min turbo, session 21

Tough, tough session. Lots of big gear, 100rpm stuff. Started to fade at the end but stuck in there. Beginning to remember what the pain feels like and I'm glad to say I still like the feeling of pushing through.

Time 1hr; Dist 26.3km; HR Ave/Max 127/170; Cad Ave/Max 87/116; Watt Ave/Max 162/360;

Great start to the week, set me up nicely.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »

Hey KB3, sorry forgot to answer this. I certainly intend on doing some duathlons before the start of the season as it's a great way to dust off the cob webs and iron out any problems. It also helps you get back in racing mode and gets you used of hurting again. I can't see myself doing any duathlons however until the end of March, beginning of April. I may do that one in Skerries and build it into my long cycle that day.

Tues Morn 18th Jan

Plan Strength/Core Session - AA Phase Session 1 of 8
    Actual Strength Session - AA Phase Session 1 of 8

First time doing a strength session since last May. Going to use the strength programme in the J. Friel's "training Bible"again this year. I had a huge improvement in my biking last year despite the low milage and I put that down to the gym sessions I did.

As it was the first morning my timing was off so I didn't get any core work in, so note to self - be on the gym floor by 6:30am. I found it tougher, wasn't expecting that, got a little light headed and dizzy/sick again this morn :o

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Hey El,

Good to see the week is going well so far.

Just wondering do you follow any specific core program? If so, would you be able to share?

I need to start doing some core work and would like a plan to follow.

Cheers,

NT

Hey El,

Good to see the week is going well so far.

Just wondering do you follow any specific core program? If so, would you be able to share?

I need to start doing some core work and would like a plan to follow.

Cheers,

NT

Hi NT and thanks. These are the core exercises I use

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

Personally I found them great when done at least twice a week consistently.
    You also have to bare in mind that the upper back, chest, quads etc....also form part of your core hence the reason I follow the strength exercises in "The Triathletes Training Bible". Hope that helps.

Tues Eve 18th Jan

Plan 1hr 15min - Club Session
    Actual 1hr 20min - Club Session

First time down at the club in 2 nearly months, luckily I wasn't the only one an old mate of mine was down for the first time in a while too, so coach sent us on an 8 miler, suited us both and gave us time to catch up. Did 15k in the end mostly in Z2.

Dist 15k; Time 1:18:02; HR Ave 149; Pace 5:13/km

I think the extra weight I'm carrying is having an effect on my joints, my form is shocking. Really must get back to practicing my chi drills.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Cheers El, must give that a go.

Weds Morn 19th Jan

Plan 1hr 30min club swim session
    Actual 1hr 20min club swim session

Easier to get up this morning, reinforcing my belief that getting into the habit, especially on a monday morn, is vital. This session was so much better than
    Monday as you'll see from my times.

Main Set 1 100m x 10 off 2:15, coming in on between 1:47 - 1:52
    Main Set 2 50m x 12 off 1 min, coming in on between 49 - 55 sec.

Thats more like it :)

Weds Eve 19th Jan

Plan 60 min interval, session 22
    Actual 60 min interval, session 22

Dist 29.6k; Time 1hr; Ave Cad 88; Watt Ave/Max 192/339

Good session felt pretty strong too. Half way point of week 1 and haven't missed a session yet :)

Thurs Morn 20th Jan

Plan Strength/Core Session - AA Phase Session 2 of 8
    Actual Strength Session - AA Phase Session 2 of 8

Much better this morning, got in all exercises as I was on the gym floor at 6:40.

Thurs Eve 20th Jan

Plan 1hr 15min Club Run Session
    Actual 1hr 15min Club Run Session

Again my mate was down and we both decided we'd be better off with another LSR. So more or less the same as Tues except slightly faster with a slower HR.

Distance 14.6k; Time 1hr 14min 54sec; Ave HR 142; Pace 5:07/k

Very foggy and frost but it was a magical night running through the park in the dark with the full moon and fog. Amazing :)

Going well, good stuff. Only half way through the week and improvements already. Savage.

Will you be doing the 2 miler next Wed night in Raheny? if so I'll see you there.

Macanri wrote: »
    Going well, good stuff. Only half way through the week and improvements already. Savage.

Will you be doing the 2 miler next Wed night in Raheny? if so I'll see you there.

Thanks dude. I sure am man, looking forward to it as I'm doing no tempo training at the mo and enjoyed the last one.

• Advertisement

Fri Morn 21st Jan

Plan 1.5 hr club session
    Actual 1hr 5min NAC session

With the Linster Winter Swimming Gala on this weekend there was no club session so headed to the NAC. Only two lanes available but for some reason only myself and another girl in one of the lanes. Mis-timed this one, didn't get as much done as I'd have liked, still better than nothing. Before I even started my arms were very stiff/sore, the weeks strength sessions catching up on me I guess.

WU 1000m
    Main Set
    100 x 5 descending X 2
    Set 1 - from 2:06 - 1:47
    Set 2 - from 2:09 - 1:48
    CD 100m

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Fri Morn 21st Jan

Plan 1.5 hr club session
    Actual 1hr 5min NAC session

With the Linster Winter Swimming Gala on this weekend there was no club session so headed to the NAC. Only two lanes available but for some reason only myself and another girl in one of the lanes. Mis-timed this one, didn't get as much done as I'd have liked, still better than nothing. Before I even started my arms were very stiff/sore, the weeks strength sessions catching up on me I guess.

WU 1000m
    Main Set
    100 x 5 descending X 2
    Set 1 - from 2:06 - 1:47
    Set 2 - from 2:09 - 1:48
    CD 100m

As much as I hate to say Tunney was right, My mini goal of being able to do 100 push ups in one go had me doing lots of them and it did affect my swimming. Thankfully I achieved that little objective before christmas but its no coincidence that my swimming feels good again now since I laid off the push ups :) Mixing strength work and swimming, its bound to happen...

Ya strength training is a must imo, I'll be fine next week anyway-it's just the body adapting to some weight training again. Anyway for the moment it's light weights with 20/30 reps.

Fri Eve 21st Jan

Plan 14k LSR Z2
    Actual 16.06k LSR Z2

As I've already two c.15k runs this week just wanted to go a little further.

Dist 16.06k; Time 1hr 20min 18sec; Ave HR 143; Ave Pace 5:00/km

So, again getting a little faster with less effort. Have been looking forward all week to getting out for a 60k spin but I'm afraid it's going to be way to frosty/icy/slippy, so it will be 60 on the turbo and I forgot to be home DVD's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

With the Linster Winter Swimming Gala on this weekend there was no club session so headed to the NAC. Only two lanes available but for some reason only myself and another girl in one of the lanes.
    Second lane at 7? I thought it was you but wasn't sure. I was just hopping out of that lane as you were getting in.

nomadic wrote: »
    Second lane at 7? I thought it was you but wasn't sure. I was just hopping out of that lane as you were getting in.

That was me dude, you prob struggled to recognise me due to the extra stone or so I've put on since you last saw me :rolleyes:

Sat Afternoon 22nd Jan

Plan 60k Z2 easy ride
    Actual 60k Z2 (on the Turbo)

I decided before the session to try and keep the HR low, cadence between 90-100rpm and average 30kph. Started off just spinning in the small cog for the first 20 minutes, averaging 23kph. After that I just tried to raise the ave speed until I got it to 30. After an hour I dcided to try out a music station (no DVD's), I hit on a station playing the top 10 Black Eyed Peas, I wouldn't be a big fan but this made the last hour so enjoyable and I felt good and strong. I usually don't mind turbo sessions but over the christmas I struggled through 2 or 3 2 hour session, not today though. Although annoyed at first that I didn't get out on the road, I really enjoyed the session.

Dist 60k; Time 1hr 54min; Watt Ave/Max 207/357; Speed Ave/Max 31.4/52.1kph; Cad Ave/Max 93/116; HR Ave/Max 117/151;

Sun afternoon 23rd Jan

Plan Club 4 mile XC Championship Race
    Actual Club 4 mile XC Championship Race

The weeks training caught up with one El Director today. It was a disaster from the off. Travelled from home this morn back up to Dublin, the fog and icy conditions meant I just about made the start line. In the rush forgot my spikes. As soon as the race started I knew I was going to struggle, my legs felt fine but I just felt heavy and really unfit. I way way down the field after one lap of two, could have dropped out but just thought to myself that times and placing does not matter in Jan, "keep going and finish anyway". So thats what I did, embarrassing as it was, everybody there waiting for me. Well the records will show that there were two more a couple of minutes behing me, two 60 something year olds that don't train so in my book I was last. Anyway, only way is up and in a weird way it's a bit liberating. It will make the sweet all the sweet in summer time al going well :)

Dist 4.08 miles; Time 28:21; Pace 6:57/mile; HR Ave/Max 171/177

Weekly Summary

17 Jan-23 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|12|14:34|176.31
    Swimming|3|3:50|7.35
    Cycling|3|3:54|115.9
    Running|4|4:30|53.06
    Strenth/Core|2|2:20|N/A

Weight Watch

Last Week 88kg
    This Week 87kg

Missed Sessions Watch

This Week 0
    Altogether 0

So overall I am very pleased with this week. Even when things were going very well last year I don't think I had a week were I didn't miss a session. The weight is a concern, I need to start losing it now in order to simply move faster :rolleyes: Also I will be introducing some speed/tempo work this week.

Mon 24th Jan

I was a bit naive to think I could train 8 days straight (5 double days) after two months of relative inactivity without building in a rest day. Although not ideal I took a rest day today. Don't like having rest days on Mondays ut the body, legs especially needed a break. So I'll enjoy this evening in front of the box with my OH.

In other news, I got some compression gear in the post today from Compressport - full socks and calf guards. Also got my hands on Lost season 6 at last - happy "turboing" :cool:

• Advertisement

Guys need a little help - I want to paste in a graph here on my log from excel, how would I do that?? Thanks.

Advertisement