Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So any major changes to forecasts??????????? I see that radar image looks to be hitting south very soon , then tommorrow from what i gather here atlantic air dominating yes meaning higher temps.......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Why do you all seem to want snow so much ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEqWzw8A9g

You see the penguins at the back? That's you...that is. See the little penguin at the front...that's us! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

NIALL D wrote: »
    we should be hearing reports from around the coast of cork soon ?
    looks to be jus starting to hit there now...........

rain , sleet , snow , what have ye ??????????

Rain for cork i'd say . . .or sleet maybe.

(city that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Just hit the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

How did you manage before 2008!? when we usually had to rely on two day arctic incursions before the atlantic swept through on day three.
    Wouldn't it be fantastic if we saw a classic omega block ala 62/63 develop in late Janaury? Perhaps we could have another month of cold, with repeated atlantic approaches being beaten back. well, after the events of December the bar has been raised:pac:
    Right! I've just picked up all my toys off the floor!
    Yeah I well remember all those topplers, pre 08. At least FI is consistent for the last few days with HP building over Greenland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

ch750536 wrote: »
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Just hit the coast

Waterford city current temp 0c
    Dew point -2.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

M.T has posted his thoughts on the front in the forecast thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭largepants

I'm quite near the coast (4/5 miles) and nothing falling yet. Although the wind has picked up a small pick in the last hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Why do you all seem to want snow so much ??

It looks good when it is melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So has anyone any forecast on saturdays potential snow for the North West, we should see a covering anyways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'll say it again somewhere like Thurles will get an absolute pasting from this, several inches of snow i'd say.
    PPN slowing up as it nears Cork more like 1am now before it hits proper.
    Remember Cork fans we 2 bites of the cherry (1) midnight - 4am & (2) after 4pm tomorrow. Best of luck rebel brotherhood & remember the sound of drip drip is always favourite in these events!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have updated forecast, still thinking it will be very mixed near the south and southeast coasts, mainly snow inland, with a band of heavier snow likely to develop across parts of inland Munster into Kilkenny, Carlow, Laois, Kildare, west Dublin and inland Meath. In the southeast especially on the east side of the Wicklow mountains, snow may be heavy above 300m but mixing will reduce amounts progressively closer to sea level. You can read the details over in the forecast section.

The precip band is going to edge north all night rather slowly, and may stall for a while before pivoting around to spread faster north in eastern counties by mid-day.

The forecast remains very tricky and the key word is potential, but the cold air has established itself north of the coastal strip, and it is really the arctic front rather than the main band of moisture with the low that will determine snowfall locations. The low itself is lagging well behind this front and will track quite a distance southeast of even Wexford tomorrow evening. So the snow potential all hinges on the performance of this arctic front as it is pushed back north, and my current thinking is that this looks good for snow potential in the inland southeast where cold air can remain trapped due to the topography. If I had to guess who (of our regular posters) will be most excited by snowfall in their vicinity tomorrow, I would say the people in Kilkenny and Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

H

If I had to guess who (of our regular posters) will be most excited by snowfall in their vicinity tomorrow, I would say the people in Kilkenny and Laois.

Indeed Min could be very happy tomorrow:p - especially if this front were to stall and dump snow for 24 hours on the Castlecomer plateau:p

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

According to the BBC the frontal snow is going to last couple of hours then milder weather comes in. Predicted 10c for SW england and 8c for Southern England.

Quick thaw then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

M.T on your update you say navan could get 10-12cm how certain are you, that could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

If I had to guess who (of our regular posters) will be most excited by snowfall in their vicinity tomorrow, I would say that ch750536 is perfectly placed on his hill.

Fixed that for you, got it wrong again.

11pm temps are in and Cork is still at 0, indeed Roches point which is practically in the sea is only +1. Basically in an hour temp has remained constant. V good for snow chances

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Have updated forecast, still thinking it will be very mixed near the south and southeast coasts, mainly snow inland, with a band of heavier snow likely to develop across parts of inland Munster into Kilkenny, Carlow, Laois, Kildare, west Dublin and inland Meath. In the southeast especially on the east side of the Wicklow mountains, snow may be heavy above 300m but mixing will reduce amounts progressively closer to sea level. You can read the details over in the forecast section.

The precip band is going to edge north all night rather slowly, and may stall for a while before pivoting around to spread faster north in eastern counties by mid-day.

The forecast remains very tricky and the key word is potential, but the cold air has established itself north of the coastal strip, and it is really the arctic front rather than the main band of moisture with the low that will determine snowfall locations. The low itself is lagging well behind this front and will track quite a distance southeast of even Wexford tomorrow evening. So the snow potential all hinges on the performance of this arctic front as it is pushed back north, and my current thinking is that this looks good for snow potential in the inland southeast where cold air can remain trapped due to the topography. If I had to guess who (of our regular posters) will be most excited by snowfall in their vicinity tomorrow, I would say the people in Kilkenny and Laois.
    I'd say Carlow may not be a bad spot either MT ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pangea wrote: »
    So has anyone any forecast on saturdays potential snow for the North West, we should see a covering anyways?

Going by BBC theres two weak fronts going to hit us, one Friday night and the second on Saturday afternoon, both seem to be weak but the second BBC have as white across the whole county. Still not getting my hopes up too much but at least its something to look at in whats been a very dull 2 weeks for the north west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

-7.5 here in north meath, was it forecast to go that low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

-6c at Dublin Airport @ 11pm

Colder than forecast at this point. Probably aided by reisdual cold still in the ground from the December freeze.

Plenty intensity in this front.
    I'm gonna call it as snow for most
    Expect the Irish Met to give an 'up the ante' forecast at 11:55 on radio 1.
    Angle of attack is almost perfect

I watched the graphics on bbc weather and they showed the snow in wales and Midlands quickly turning to rain. They showed the heavier snow on the Eastern side of the heavy precip movin up from the South into Eastern Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

M.T has posted his thoughts on the front in the forecast thread.

And what beautiful thoughts they are . . .

HE SAID KILKENNY FOR SNOW!!!!

:D:D

Sorry about that, i have difficulty controlling my excitement at times . .:pac:

Colder than forecast at this point. Probably aided by reisdual cold still in the ground from the December freeze.

We are on the cusp of something major here.
    Our Cities could be marginal but a lot of the country could get a lot of snow from this. Deep green's on the radar will help hugely with evaprative cooling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Its cloudy now in Waterford City and the temp has held around the zero mark with DP a healthy -2.2c. Raintoday are showing sleet out at sea so a good chance of this starting as snow in Waterford. The next few hours will be interesting to say the least.

Temps and live streaming webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

BBC rarely gets it wrong!:(

We are on the cusp of something major here.
    Our Cities could be marginal but a lot of the country could get a lot of snow from this. Deep green's on the radar will help hugely with evaprative cooling.

And it is supposed to get milder as the front pushes through? A slushy mess

Its cloudy now in Waterford City and the temp has held around the zero mark with DP a healthy -2.2c. Raintoday are showing sleet out at sea so a good chance of this starting as snow in Waterford. The next few hours will be interesting to say the least.

Temps and live streaming webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

Dewpoint sounds perfect, it surely has to snow.
    The main critical point is that the wind remains North of East, if it even hints at Southeast it's game over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭compsys

I'm sure the residual cold from the December freeze is long long gone at this stage and not what's aiding the cold temp. Sure the station recorded five consecutive days of well above-average temps after Stephen's day so surely any cold and snow would have disappeared.

There's some type of frost hollow or something at the Dublin Airport station so I'd say that's why the temp is already down to -6. I mean it's still 'only' -2 at the nearby Casement station and that's further inland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement