Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Again, I never said that.
    You know we can go back and read what you've said? Anyway our immaculate German overlords are immune from fighting outside kebab shops, so much so that they can have cheaper booze and drink more than us with no ill effects - you've filled us in, thanks Aongus! We should hand up some more of our shillings to the master for being bad little peasants

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It was in an election manifesto. I think Sinn Fein promised they'd burn the bondholders and ditch the euro. You'll have to show me how this will help vintners. A can of Guinness or bottle of Miller will still be far cheaper to buy in an off licence. All this does is raise the prices of cheap and nasty alcohol, designed to be consumed in large quantities while in the home. You're still free to go out and get completely inebriated if you want. Why you want and need to get that drunk is a more important issue.

It closes the difference in price of the cheapest alcohol in supermarkets and a pint in a pub, also it says it right their in that paragraph this was specifically designed to help pubs be more viable? Are you not capable of simple logic?

And you dreaming if you think the "premium" brands wont also raise their prices to maintain that falsehood of them being better than the other brands on supermarkets shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

German youth go out and get paralytic on Saturday nights just like Irish youth. The difference is that they don't all spill out onto the streets at 3am, having drunk 8 pints in the last half hour because they realized it was almost 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

As was said on The Last Word the other evening: The problem is not the few social drinks at the weekend or a bottle or 3 of beer at home watching the match.The problem is that the price of pints is causing people to save up for a month or so then go wild,this leads to the likes of Varadkar & co. thinking there's an epidemic of alcho's in the country.Many of these so called "problem drinkers" might only drink once every 8-10 weeks.

Am I a problem drinker? I did the 12 pubs at Xmas & had a few sociables with work before the holidays then 4 bottles of beer on New Years Day-not a drop since.With the government's thinking,I'm in need of protection Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

zerks wrote: »
    As was said on The Last Word the other evening: The problem is not the few social drinks at the weekend or a bottle or 3 of beer at home watching the match.The problem is that the price of pints is causing people to save up for a month or so then go wild,this leads to the likes of Varadkar & co. thinking there's an epidemic of alcho's in the country.Many of these so called "problem drinkers" might only drink once every 8-10 weeks.

Am I a problem drinker? I did the 12 pubs at Xmas & had a few sociables with work before the holidays then 4 bottles of beer on New Years Day-not a drop since.With the government's thinking,I'm in need of protection Lol.

Exactly by the HSE's own calculations anyone who drink's 3 or more drinks in one day is a binge drinker, very useful tool to have to pad their own fear mongering stats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

liam24 wrote: »
    Giving the calorie count is giving a lot of information for a few digits. I think it would be rather silly to give an essay to accompany every dish.

What essay? Protein, carbs, fats is not an essay and is more valuable than just calorie count.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

zerks wrote: »

A government made up of school teachers, treating the electorate as children.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

It's far cheaper here. Most things are. The Germans don't have the same devastating need to get pissed though. Alcohol is a social lubricant and not a way of bottling up or releasing emotions. I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make?

More condescending trash. I lived for two years in Dusseldorf and every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday night on Bolkerstrasse and Ratingerstrasse the place was like Temple Bar. Guys reeling all over the place, singing, falling. Girls staggering, puking, crying. And as for your price comparison most beers in bars were approximately the same price. Sure, some smoky dive bar you could get .4L of Bitburger for 3.20, which equates to about 4.50 a pint. This would be in line with most cheapo pubs outside of Dublin. Any main bar in the Altstadt and we're talking 4.80 to 5.50 for a lager/pilsner, Krombacher, Spaten etc. Head into the Hafen and you're on Temple Bar rip off prices.
    I'll admit that beer is much cheaper in the supermarket ...generally 50 or 60 cents for a 500ml can and even at the little tobacco kiosks it's quite cheap...maybe 1 euro for a 500ml bottle, but that's mostly down to taxation in that beer in Germany is taxed as a foodstuff rather than a luxury.

It is cheaper in Germany...but I wouldn't say FAR cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

You also can't spout political dissent on the Internet. Or enjoy basic freedoms.

The Germans are far more likely to have a few beers or a glass or two of wine per day than going on the dry all week and then getting utterly inebriated at the weekend. You'll also see many other cultural differences. Germans never boast about how much beer they drank the night before. Getting blind drunk is unacceptable in most bars and restaurants. Fights outside kebab shops doesn't happen as much as in Ireland. There is much less of an air of menace and aggression about. There are far less chronic alcoholics prowling the streets. The Germans don't have this utterly tragic and dangerous relationship with booze. The Irish do. The stereotypes didn't come from nowhere.

Probably be better to keep the Irish drinking in our homes then based on your view wouldn't it? So we can stay away from kebab shop fighting?

Would upping the cost of doing that not encourage more drinking in pubs and outside no?

I'd see that as counterproductive to what they claim to be trying to do.

I don't have a lot of money, so a few bottles at home the weekend for me when the kids are asleep are all I get after working 50 hours a week. An extra 5 euro having to pay for that does effect me believe it or not, and don't give me your drink less then garbage it's only a few bottles and I want my few bottles. I pay enough bloody tax all year round, I already can't buy drink after ten if I work late and if I ever fancied taking the lighter (Greener) option on a weekend I'd be branded a criminal if caught.

Have no doubt , a granny nation we are and it's get worst by the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Egginacup wrote: »
    More condescending trash. I lived for two years in Dusseldorf and every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday night on Bolkerstrasse and Ratingerstrasse the place was like Temple Bar. Guys reeling all over the place, singing, falling. Girls staggering, puking, crying. And as for your price comparison most beers in bars were approximately the same price. Sure, some smoky dive bar you could get .4L of Bitburger for 3.20, which equates to about 4.50 a pint. This would be in line with most cheapo pubs outside of Dublin. Any main bar in the Altstadt and we're talking 4.80 to 5.50 for a lager/pilsner, Krombacher, Spaten etc. Head into the Hafen and you're on Temple Bar rip off prices.
    I'll admit that beer is much cheaper in the supermarket ...generally 50 or 60 cents for a 500ml can and even at the little tobacco kiosks it's quite cheap...maybe 1 euro for a 500ml bottle, but that's mostly down to taxation in that beer in Germany is taxed as a foodstuff rather than a luxury.

It is cheaper in Germany...but I wouldn't say FAR cheaper.

I moved home from Germany after 3 years of living there last year and it is far cheaper, in fact there is no comparison. I don't know where you're getting your prices from, unless you constantly went to tourist traps you were getting ripped off. It can be anywhere from 1.90 to 2.80 for a pint in most places in Germany, anywhere over 3 euro and it'd be considered a rip off. What I always thought summed it up was my local off license sold those 700ml bottles of Jameson, shipped from Ireland and it was almost 10 euro cheaper as what the same bottle of Jameson costs here.

EDIT: You did get one thing right though and that is the germans love to drink. The problem in Ireland is the government have actually done nothing but contribute to the binge drinking culture through licensing laws.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2 Nat82

mikom wrote: »
    When is the minimum price for trolls coming in?

Germany: check.
    Banking: check.
    Advising on Ireland from afar: check.
    BMW driver: check.

Troll online persona ready for launch captain.

Let's see how many on boards will bite.
    His former username was Sergeant when he posted in The Thunderdome thread. He is currently somehow avoiding a site ban with impunity. The guy isn't in Germany either(and has no partner) so I wouldn't put much worth in his provocative drivel. He's just lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

You also can't spout political dissent on the Internet. Or enjoy basic freedoms.

The Germans are far more likely to have a few beers or a glass or two of wine per day than going on the dry all week and then getting utterly inebriated at the weekend. You'll also see many other cultural differences. Germans never boast about how much beer they drank the night before. Getting blind drunk is unacceptable in most bars and restaurants. Fights outside kebab shops doesn't happen as much as in Ireland. There is much less of an air of menace and aggression about. There are far less chronic alcoholics prowling the streets. The Germans don't have this utterly tragic and dangerous relationship with booze. The Irish do. The stereotypes didn't come from nowhere.

Ha.... this image of Germans doesn't stack up with any bierkeller I've been to (and not just the tourist ones).

I've never seen any fighting there though, tbh, I've rarely seen any fighting in Dublin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly by the HSE's own calculations anyone who drink's 3 or more drinks in one day is a binge drinker, very useful tool to have to pad their own fear mongering stats

Its a ridiculous calculation and deserves to be ridiculed. Not taking time into account just flabbers my gast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pobb

My mate had a bottle indiscriminately smashed over the back of his head outside a bar in Berlin. Not sure what this proves but thought I'd post it here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikom wrote: »
    When is the minimum price for trolls coming in?

Germany: check.
    Banking: check.
    Advising on Ireland from afar: check.
    BMW driver: check.

Troll online persona ready for launch captain.

Let's see how many on boards will bite.
    Nat82 wrote: »
    His former username was Sergeant when he posted in The Thunderdome thread. He is currently somehow avoiding a site ban with impunity. The guy isn't in Germany either(and has no partner) so I wouldn't put much worth in his provocative drivel. He's just lonely.

Sounds about right.
    A sad fucker back for another nibble at the shoe that kicked him.

Walter Schmitty, as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I moved home from Germany after 3 years of living there last year and it is far cheaper, in fact there is no comparison. I don't know where you're getting your prices from, unless you constantly went to tourist traps you were getting ripped off. It can be anywhere from 1.90 to 2.80 for a pint in most places in Germany, anywhere over 3 euro and it'd be considered a rip off. What I always thought summed it up was my local off license sold those 700ml bottles of Jameson, shipped from Ireland and it was almost 10 euro cheaper as what the same bottle of Jameson costs here.

EDIT: You did get one thing right though and that is the germans love to drink. The problem in Ireland is the government have actually done nothing but contribute to the binge drinking culture through licensing laws.

Was in Munich for Ocktoberfest and the Germans couldn't stop complaining about how expensive it was.

In my mind, 10 euro for 1 litre was a fairly standard price and comparable to the cost of 2 pints.
    We've been brainwashed to think that the current prices are fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Pobb wrote: »
    My mate had a bottle indiscriminately smashed over the back of his head outside a bar in Berlin. Not sure what this proves but thought I'd post it here anyway.

(to be read in a fittingly imperious tone)

It proves the drunken Irish are bringing their miscreant ways and boozey disorder to the more civilized nations. For shame.

I'm not. I'm putting across an opinion that minimum pricing on alcohol is a good thing in starting the process of changing the dynamic with alcohol that many Irish people have.

What if we don't want it changed.
    It was in an election manifesto. I think Sinn Fein promised they'd burn the bondholders and ditch the euro. You'll have to show me how this will help vintners. A can of Guinness or bottle of Miller will still be far cheaper to buy in an off licence. All this does is raise the prices of cheap and nasty alcohol, designed to be consumed in large quantities while in the home. You're still free to go out and get completely inebriated if you want. Why you want and need to get that drunk is a more important issue.

I much prefer cans of Bavaria than any craft beer and most main stream beers bar Guinness and Smithwicks, there is nothing nasty about it but its a great bonus that its also cheap. I spend enough money in pubs week in week out that I feel its not much to ask to be able to buy a drink that I like on the cheap when I want to drink at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Dont you claim to be in Germany?

Maybe you can give us some beer price comparison with there and here......
    Nat82 wrote: »

As I already said....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A can of Guinness or bottle of Miller will still be far cheaper to buy in an off licence. All this does is raise the prices of cheap and nasty alcohol, designed to be consumed in large quantities while in the home. You're still free to go out and get completely inebriated if you want. Why you want and need to get that drunk is a more important issue.
    It'll raise the price of my favourite ales too, which aren't nasty (the Carlow Brewing Company and Wychwood stuff in Aldi). At the price they're talking about at least. (Currently 2, will be at least 2.20). I also think the big breweries won't resist maintaining their price differential over the cheaper brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Yes. On food that is bad for you. Like we did for cigarettes.

Jesus major downer and the buzz killers.
    Have Germany legalised prostitution? Them boys know how to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Gannicus wrote: »
    How is that any different from my suggestion? You accuse (I use accuse loosely) me of passing the buck, yet you pass it to the vintners. The courts and prisons are already overcrowded and under resourced without charging everyone the Garda deem as drunk or trouble and them ending up in front of a judge. Ideally everyone would act responsible and behave but lets face it we don't live in an ideal world, we do live in a country where our drink problem is getting worse in eyes.

I also think having 90% of pubs in Dublin close at the same time is absolute madness too.

Hold on, I didn't accuse you of anything. You say you agree with minimum pricing in principal, which I don't agree with, because alcohol is already expensive enough. Publicans should take some responsibility and not serve people that are clearly very drunk, and people should take responsibility when they are out drinking.

Night courts should be set up, and yes there are not enough spaces in prision, maybe drunk tanks or whatever should be set up. More prisions need to be built anyway but that is another topic.

Whether drink related problems are getting worse I don't know. Somebody already posted a link stating that drink volumes on average have gone down.

I agree with the last point, having pubs close all at the same time is stupid. I would like to see some pubs being able to stay open all night, but there would obviously be objections to that from some.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Just reading some of the posts from aongus across a broad range of subjects. He sounds as if a sort of Ross O Carroll type of character. Just likes to be pompous and piss people off.

Some of the posts are laughably trolling yet people are lapping it up!

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

So will this actually happen do you think? Leo may be the media darling of politics right now for being gay but this is absolute nonsense. Are FG just trying to mess the country up before being voted out of the park next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Was in Dublin last week for first time in ages. €5.50 for a pint on O 'Connel st

Good riddance to the rip off Irish pub. Just leave us the few genuinely nice ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Luke92 wrote: »
    Just reading some of the posts from aongus across a broad range of subjects. He sounds as if a sort of Ross O Carroll type of character. Just likes to be pompous and piss people off.

His blog is basically a poor man's Ross ocarroll Kelly carbon copy.

I copped him a long time ago.

Wondered where the other lad in question had sauntered off to.

Now I know.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    He's Minister of Health, not Minister of Hospitals and Clinics.

His brief includes drink, fags, prescription meds, and pretty much anything else that affects your health.

There's nothing wrong with the healthcare system, for the level of funding it receives. If i want an MRI i can get one tomorrow. If i wanted it for free, then i'd have to wait, but you'll not see me whinging over not getting a-grade free healthcare despite not paying a single brass obol for it.

You want something decent, you'll have to pay for it (either privatly or through higher taxes).

Countries with better performing healthcare systems are (shock) taxed more heavily than we are. You can have good, or you can have cheap, but you cannot have good and cheap. No such thing exists.

Is that why a lot of people have private health insurance in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Luke92 wrote: »

His blog is basically a poor man's Ross ocarroll Kelly carbon copy.

I copped him a long time ago.

Wondered where the other lad in question had sauntered off to.

Now I know.

The jig has been up for a while........ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93928021&postcount=115

And you think that raising the price of beer is going to help?

Its a nonsense

More tax please. We hav to pay zee germans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How is a small restaurant supposed to calculate this ? Especially if they have specials that change daily.
    Its quite easy to do, I used to do it all the time, if a chef was incapable of figuring out calories I would worry if he was also ignorant about food hygeine.

I welcome it since it will give you a good idea of the size of the portion, thi is not just of benefit to people trying to lose weight i.e. many people will opt for the higher calorie products if they are good value. It also gives you backup to a complaint over getting a small portion.

Advertisement