Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great work, but at the same time, listen to your body, and if your in total bits and exhausted is that not your body telling you it wants a rest day?

I went OTT last week, and ended up doing something to my knee - lesson learned - I wont do it again. But just dont do 50 miles cos a plan says so, if your in agony and miserable after 40/45 miles in a week I would call it a day and take a day off...

Its not like you are going for a once in a life time event or an Olympic qualifying time or something - so cut yourself some slack, things are going great with your training.

Cheers Vagga - I get what you're saying and it's good advice. It wasn't that I was totally wrecked and in need of a big rest though - just more that I knew I wouldn't have 5k speed in the legs on top of the miles. In general it's all feeling good, if a little more tired than normal but nothing to worry about and pain in the a5s external factors too. Going to improve on the diet and sleeps side of things too so hopefully that'll help. :)

Anyone have an 'ideal diet' plan?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Race Report???

Friday 12th August
    - Rest :)

Saturday 13th August
    Had to split this run because of American-visitor-entertaining duties...
    - am 3.19 miles @ 9.36 - hungover trot to collect the car from the watering hole of Friday night...:rolleyes:
    - pm 5.15 miles @ 9.44 - really handy enjoyable leg stretcher in advance of the 5k and to get the miles in. Legs felt good and loose. I wonder did the earlier run have anything to do with that? And if so, it would encourage me to do a handy mile every morning in lieu of one of the 5 mile recoveries during the week... Something to think about!

Sunday 14th August
    - am 3.13 miles @ 8.11

Celbridge 5k race - Chip 25.40 - Garmin 25.37 - Think all the chip times a few seconds out. Not a PB (or anything near it(24.18)!) but an enjoyable race. A sub 24 would have required an average pace of 7.39 which I think I'm capable of on fresh legs but I wasn't foregoing the mileage this week for an unplanned 5k - the goal at the minute is DCM s-eyes on the prize!!
    Decided to experiment and run this on an empty stomach after feeling very pukey a few days previous. Didn't think it'd be too futile as I've been doing long runs with less fuel than I have done previously. Walking up the drive to Castletown house which was to be the last kilometre of the run was tough going - on the mind and legs. The legs were not feeling the love in the slightest. I knew I needed a good warm up but I was being a brat and literally only did a few strides and a short jog in the few minutes before we kicked off. Not the best idea.
    Took off when the gun went amid a minor Garmin start-stop-start disaster. First (mildly uphill) kilometer, lack of warm up, tired legs etc just killed my planned pace - it dropped steadily from 8.07 to about 8.15 from the 1k marker to the 4k marker (which is a bit of a joke given the nice route!). One woman went by me at 2k (who, in my humble opinion, did not have much running experience) and I was determined that she was not going to beat me in any way, shape or form! (Don't judge me for judging!) She didn't! As expected she completely blew up at 3k and I left her for dust..:rolleyes: mwahhahaha.
    I put the boot down a bit when I turned onto the drive for the last kilometer - a long finishing straight. Probably pushed it too much too early though. I was breathing pretty heavily and the calves just seized up with every step. I got the average pace down to 8.11 and I did finish with my stomach in my throat though so I was happy enough with that.
    As I said, not a PB but I know there's potential. Really good route, well organised race and a good way to test out the legs and push a bit of speed (for me!) amid the heavy training.

- pm 7.23 miles @ 9.53 - a nice handy run to get the required mileage in for the week. Twas nice to loosen out the leggies after the race and I really enjoyed this one.

49.42 miles for the week... Whoops... just shy of the planned 50 :o As stated before, there is a reason why I am not an accountant!!

Going to swap this week and next week around to accomdate the 10miler on sat so that will become part of a 16mile pmp LSR and the first bug 20 miler will have to wait a week.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Race Report???

:p

My story telling skills are beginning to fail me...:rolleyes:

I hope it at least it gave you more of a positive outlook on your capabilities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

That's some mileage you're putting in there, ClaraLara. If I was running 50 this far out from DCM, I'd be starting to think that there's time/opportunity for working on speed and hills too. Maybe the odd long fast run (as opposed to LSR), if you felt up to it? Or are you following a carved-in-stone plan from HH, P&D or someone like that?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I hope it at least it gave you more of a positive outlook on your capabilities?

Yep, it did. Plenty of room for improvement and a bit of a boot to start pushing a bit. Slowly though... need to work on the mental side of things too!
    brownian wrote: »
    That's some mileage you're putting in there, ClaraLara. If I was running 50 this far out from DCM, I'd be starting to think that there's time/opportunity for working on speed and hills too. Maybe the odd long fast run (as opposed to LSR), if you felt up to it? Or are you following a carved-in-stone plan from HH, P&D or someone like that?

I'm following P&D's 18 week (up to 55mpw) plan. Comfortable with the distances and enjoying the training but yes, there is potential for working on speed. I'm probably not making the most of the plan in terms of pushing the boundaries of comfort (i.e. I'm not pushing the boundaries of comfort!). I'm open to suggestions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

claralara wrote: »
    Yep, it did. Plenty of room for improvement and a bit of a boot to start pushing a bit. Slowly though... need to work on the mental side of things too!

I'm following P&D's 18 week (up to 55mpw) plan. Comfortable with the distances and enjoying the training but yes, there is potential for working on speed. I'm probably not making the most of the plan in terms of pushing the boundaries of comfort (i.e. I'm not pushing the boundaries of comfort!). I'm open to suggestions...

I'm not going to pursue such an easy opportunity to say something smart here - perhaps one of your acolytes will leap in :)

I'm the last man qualified to give advice or suggestions...but I find doing tempo runs is good. So for your next ten-miler, instead of doing 10@9:00, you could try 2@9:00, 2@8:00, 2@7:00, 2@8:00, [email]2@9:00..or[/email] something like that. The same idea scales up to 15 miles, or 18, or whatever. Basically try to do a decent percentage of the run at faster than LSR pace...hopefully then the next LSR you'll be thinking "this is a bit slow....".

Swapped this week and next week around to accomodate the 10 miler tomorrow so the plan for the week was / is:

Plan - Week 8
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday 6 Recovery
    Wednesday 14 Medium Long Run
    Thursday 6 Recovery
    Friday Rest
    Saturday 16 (12 PMP)
    Sunday 6 (6x100 strides)
    Total 48

Monday 15th August
    - Rest

Tuesday 16th August
    - 14.5 miles @ 9.40
    Suited better to get this out of the way as early as possible so took the opportunity on Tuesday morning. Legs were still a bit lactate-y after Sunday so it took a while to get going. It was also a fairly uphill route (not a loop) so I felt a bit hard done by. Made sure to have a good breakfast and a load of water early because I've been fading on the longer ones and the energy levels were definitely better. Didn't have any water with me but grabbed an isogel and took it at 8 miles for the craic. Didn't realise how thirsty I was until I took it - it was pretty warm. Don't know if it actually helped but even if it was a mental thing, it gave me a boost. Enjoyed this one. Was pooped after it though.

Wednesday 17th August
    - Pilates
    - 4.66 hilly miles @ 10.00
    Bit fast for recovery but a good one.

Thursday 18th August
    - 7.35 miles @ 9.48
    Again, too fast for recovery. Hope I don't pay for it!

Friday 19th August
    - Rest :D

Hopefully a rest day today and a dose of foam rolling will give the legs a bit of a boost for the 10 miler tomorrow. I'm going to run it as part of the 16 miler so it won't be PB territory...no surprises there! ;)

brownian wrote: »
    I'm not going to pursue such an easy opportunity to say something smart here - perhaps one of your acolytes will leap in :)

I'm the last man qualified to give advice or suggestions...but I find doing tempo runs is good. So for your next ten-miler, instead of doing 10@9:00, you could try 2@9:00, 2@8:00, 2@7:00, 2@8:00, [EMAIL="2@9:00..or"]2@9:00..or[/EMAIL] something like that. The same idea scales up to 15 miles, or 18, or whatever. Basically try to do a decent percentage of the run at faster than LSR pace...hopefully then the next LSR you'll be thinking "this is a bit slow....".

Haha... The definition of 'smart' being 'amusingly clever and intelligent' - no fear of that on here!

Ok, that's food for thought. I've been thinking this week that I need to push it. I've been coasting...:o I need to shape up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Haha... The definition of 'smart' being 'amusingly clever and intelligent' - no fear of that on here!

Ok, that's food for thought. I've been thinking this week that I need to push it. I've been coasting...:o I need to shape up!

Don't push it too much. Just take one run a week and push it a bit (your LT or interval run in the P&D schedule). Your pace on the other runs is perfect for a sub 4 marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't push it too much. Just take one run a week and push it a bit (your LT or interval run in the P&D schedule). Your pace on the other runs is perfect for a sub 4 marathon.

Hmmmm.....

She wanted to do 11 minute miles as recovery yesterday, I pushed her to 10.34 :)

claralara, what are we having for dinner tonight? ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Hmmmm.....

She wanted to do 11 minute miles as recovery yesterday, I pushed her to 10.34 :)

claralara, what are we having for dinner tonight? ;)

I was going to ignore this but I don't want to have to listen to you crying about how no one ever talks to you or writes on your log anymore...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was going to ignore this but I don't want to have to listen to you crying about how no one ever talks to you or writes on your log anymore...:p

:rolleyes: This is your log

Crying = Military Hill, Marlay Park, The Furry Glen, St Enda's Park....... :/

Friday 19th August
    - Rest

Saturday 20th August
    - 1 mile W/U

- Frank Duffy 10 Miler: 10 @ 9.00
    Course measured long for me and chip time was 90.37 but the Garmin gave me a 9 minute average pace so that's fine with me for the minute.
    My last 10 mile race was 89.16 in Mallow in March, when I was tapering for Connemara.

I had decided to run this as part of a 16 mile training run because (if I'm honest...) I've had a bad negative attitude to racing since Dunshaughlin. I've also been doing random half marathons because of free entries from pacers and letting myself get talked into running random races that I'm haven't targeted just for the craic. Because of all of this and a few bad training runs, I've found myself at the start line of a race practically every second weekend this summer absolutely dreading what's about to unfold and it's resulted in times and races not worth talking about. This is amid following what is otherwise proving to be an enjoyable training plan and I was really starting to doubt what the hell this is all about. I know I don't push myself hard enough and it's because I'm afraid of blowing up, failing, missing goals, embarrassing myself in front of friends who started running about a week ago.... So last week brought about what I hope is a permanent change in attitude. It's time to start improving and stop coasting!

In terms of this new attitude, I left it a little late to make much of the 10 mile race so don't expect much of a report. But, I did decide to go out and go for it and face the mental demons. I'm not quite sure where in the crowd I started as I arrived a little late and just hopped over the fence. (I was careful not to block the way of speedier folk though, don't worry!). Set off nice and comfortable but not too laxidasi.. Felt good for the first half and hit the 5 mile mark at 8.43 average pace. Unfortunately, that was where the potential for a PB started to disappear. Found the drag to mile 6 really tough - the legs started to cramp and I just couldn't power them. I knew it was dehydration (in anticipation of not racing, I had not prepared sufficiently, or at all, on Friday. In fact, I was hungover and just ate junk and consumed about 20mls of water all day...:o). My stomach was off as well (I ate breakfast way too late!) so while I knew the gel I had with me would help somewhat, I couldn't face more than a mouthful of it. I didn't have any water at the first station and 2 gulps (if even) at the second, so that all went against me!! Anyway the pace just fell steadily and was down to 8.57 by mile 7. Thought if I could bring it back to 8.55 until the 9 mile mark that I might salvage something. But it tipped up to 9.02 on me before the 8 mile mark. This would be usual ''it's gone, give up'' time for me but I really wanted to bring it back down. Got the pace to 9.00 average as I hit the 9 mile mark and was just determined to keep it there. Found the hill at Mary's hopsital ok apart from people who had slowed to walk blocking the already narrow bit of the route. Unsurprisingly, the legs had just seized by the time I came around the top and just wanted to give up. Managed to bolt them a couple of times up the finishing straight and over took a couple of people but they were just dead. Manged to keep the 9.00 pace in the end according to good ole garmin connect even if the chip time doesn't reflect that. Not a PB but a step in the right direction all round me thinks.

Apologies for the appallingly random spiel... :rolleyes:

Sunday 21st August
    - 4.42 Recovery miles @ 10.34
    Run to the supermarket to pick up the makings of a deserved (or not!) fry...;) Very much a recovery at ridiculous o'pace!!

Plan - Week 8
    Day Plan Actual
    Monday Rest Rest
    Tuesday 6 Recovery 14.5 @ 9.40
    Wednesday 14 Medium Long Run Pilates & 4.66 @ 10.00
    Thursday 6 Recovery 7.35 @ 9.48
    Friday Rest Rest
    Saturday 16 (12 PMP) 1 W/U & 10 @ 9.00
    Sunday 6 (6x100 strides) 4.42 @ 10.34
    Total 48 41.93

6 miles short of the plan this week...:mad:

Crying = Thinking about your face... :/ /QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done on not giving up Clara when it was easier to stop and best of luck with the 'going for it' mantra.

Don't worry about making a fool of yourself etc, we've all done it and there's no one perfect apart from well, me :D:D:D

God, Digger i wouldn't be straving yourself for a dinner if i was you. I was promised a house party last February on a lsr round the Furze Road on Sunday morn and i'm still waiting for it.

Sure the present had to be thrown out as it went wild and attacked me one morning. Feckin parrott:p

Plan - Week 9
    Day Plan
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday 7 Recovery w/ 10X100 strides
    Wednesday 12 LSR
    Thursday Rest
    Friday 10 w/6 @ LT
    Saturday 5 Recovery
    Sunday 20 LSR
    Total 54

Monday 22nd August
    - Rest :D

Tuesday 23rd August
    - 20 miles @ 9.52 Av
    Decided to get this out of the way early in the week as I had the time and am running the Oylegate HM on Sunday (as an LSR!). Was actually quite looking forward to it despite a little niggle in the left shin and right knee. Was starting in Terenure and planned on taking a wild adventure across the mountains, down to the coast and back into town. Unfortunately the route didn't quite go according to plan. The left shin really wasn't happy from about 4 miles so when I got to Marlay I decided to just do loops - 1) so I could do a bit on grass and 2) so I'd be close to home if I had to pack it in. Although my thinking facilitated giving up if necessary, I knew I wouldn't...:) Shin was a bit strained but as a result I paid attention to my form and think I adjusted to a more efficient forefoot strike. The pain (I would say) is from belting down the hill on Saturday at the race and maybe my runners. Though I really hope it's not the latter as there is no more than 300miles in those DS trainers. Anyway, it didn't stop me. Had a good stretch after and it seems ok again now - will be good to it for the rest of the week and hope it disappears. I thought I'd go spare doing laps for such a long run, but the two mile loop in Marlay is actually lovely and didn't get too monotonous or boring. Nothing overly exciting to report from the run itself. Had a gel with me which I didn't take but I had my 750ml camel back with a High5 Energy source sachet which was mostly gone by the time I finished. It all went down fine and nicely hydrating - it was warm enough this afternoon. A few more freckles to the mix and a more defined white Garmin mark on the wrist! I need a holiday to sort out all the strange ''tan'' (used loosely!!) lines I've acquired this summer!

I must confess that the reason I had such a good stretch (which would normally be a weakness of mine) was because I returned to an empty apartment (tear) only to discover that I'd lost my key somewhere en route. I suspect (:o) that I dropped it in the shop where I purposely planned to hit the 20mark so I could get a Mars refuel drink (only to see what all the fuss is about...) It probably fell out when I was taking out my emergency chocolate money and I didn't hear it with the headphones... whoops.. That's a dumping offence.. good thing I have no valuables in said apartment. Not even one diamond ring ladies!! ;)

Enjoying a small glass of vino now :) AND - digdig (thank god) has given up the idea of me cooking dinner and has retired to the BBQ.. Happy days:D

Delighted to have that under the belt. It definitely could have been a little speedier but there was no point pushing the shin at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nice going on the 20 miler - a small glass of vino, yeah right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the 20 miler! It's great to get them ticked off! And laps of Marlay - ugh, I've done it and it aint pretty.

And no diamonds??? Somebody need a great big HINT! ;)

[QUOTE=claralara;73984881
    Not even one diamond ring ladies!! ;)

.[/QUOTE]

:eek: STAGE 5 CLINGER :eek:

:eek: STAGE 5 CLINGER :eek:

Charming. Well don't worry, after that bout of food poisoning from the uncooked chicken, I won't be back!! :p

Wednesday 24th August
    - Pilates and a good stretch bright and early this morning. Was worried how the body was going to feel after the 20 miler but it held up alright. The calves didn’t enjoy the first few steps out of bed at 6.45am but they were grand once they warmed up. Strange DOMS in the calves – definitely contributed to by the slightly altered foot strike – good pain though J

Impromptu treat to self today of a new pair of ‘running shoes’ ... : D I am the proud owner of a deliciously stylish pair of the new Lunarglide 3s. Well I had an unused voucher for Dundrum that I got for my birthday and sure what else would I spend it on...clothes, handbags, make up, ridiculously impractical killer heels.... It’s official, I’ve changed!!

- 5 recovery miles @ 10.06
    A nice handy trot to loosen out the legs and break in the shoesies a bit. All good. No pain at all from the shin – that may be because the calf muscles were claiming centre stage in the pain stakes (again – good pain though!). Love an ole recovery run in my “I hit the wall 2011” tshirt – people must think I’ve stolen it from a real marathon runner!

Uh oh...not sure why the font is doing that and I haven't got the energy to fix it... At least gramps won't need spectacles to catch up on today's training! Nighty night kids!

Uh oh...not sure why the font is doing that and I haven't got the energy to fix it...At least gramps won't need spectacles to catch up on today's training!Nighty night kids!

Charming, glad you like the new Lunarglides, you're welcome ;)

Thursday 25th August
    - 7.75 miles @ 9.00
    Good run. Had to hide the rain jacket in a bush after about 3 miles as the sun had come out and I was absolutely melting. Typically, I forgot to collect it on the way back but because I don't live in Tallaght or on the unfortunate side of the river, it was still there the next day... ;)

Friday 26th August
    - 3.26 Recovery miles @ 9.55
    Grand. Blah. Not much to say. Oh except - I'm giving up my beloved scones :( Third time in a row I've felt like puking for ages after my run having had a scone. Lesson now learned - took a while!

Saturday 27th August
    - 3.5 Recovery miles @ 9.52
    Did the Rathfarnham 5k loop - was tired and the pace was slow but it made me start thinking about the prospects of a good 5k race in a few weeks... A nice route with potential.

Sunday 28th August
    - Oylegate HM LSR - 13.16 miles @ 9.45 average (incl a little walk..:o)
    Headed down to this with Digdig as he was pacing and had a spare entry for a free loader :D Was only ever planning to run it as an LSR after the 20 miler earlier in the week. But stupidly I started out with the 2 hour group chatting away like a cheeky pup given that a 2 hour half is still a very tough run for me. Dropped off after 5 miles and struggled to 8. The first half was mostly uphill and every inch of every stride was an unholy effort - I felt like I was lugging a ton of lead with each step. Freaked out at 8 and walked for about half a mile - was really upset with myself and angry with the world!! Started running again at 8.5 having calmed down and had some strong words with myself. Enjoyed the last bit of the run as a nice LSR in the sunshine with no pressure of racing. Was shattered when I finished but I'd say that was more from the heavy week's training as opposed to the run itself.

Plan - Week 9
    Day Plan Actual
    Monday Rest Rest
    Tuesday 7 Recovery w/ 10X100 strides 20 @ 9.52
    Wednesday 12 LSR Pilates & 5 @ 10.06
    Thursday Rest 7.75 @ 9.00
    Friday 10 w/6 @ LT 3.26 @ 9.55 (Rec)
    Saturday 5 Recovery 3.5 @ 9.52 (Rec)
    Sunday 20 LSR 13.16 @ 9.45
    Total 54 52.6

Highest weekly mileage ever and it was tiring. Not tough to get the miles under my belt but I'm losing speed and energy big time. I've been thinking long and hard about my strategy and my goals. I'm not in (ability or desire) for a sub 4 yet - there's plenty of time for that. I want to run Dublin and enjoy it. And there are so many more marathons I want to run thereafter. I'd like to think I have 40 more years of marathon training and racing to look forward to, which will see me reap PB's on foot of good training... :D

So in light of all that, I'm stepping back from P&D 18/<55 with 9 weeks to go until Dublin. I'm going for a 4.15 time. I want to do a good LSR every weekend and some good shorter and slightly faster runs during the week. I'm going to do 35mpw (+/-) and make sure the sessions are good quality. The week of the Dublin Half, I'm going to train smart, rest and go for a PB (currently 1.58.49). The same will go for the Rathfarnham 5k (currently 24.18). I look forward to having some loving feelings back in my legs. :D

Apologies for the ramble if you've made it this far!!:o

So in light of all that, I'm stepping back from P&D 18/<55 with 9 weeks to go until Dublin. I'm going for a 4.15 time. I want to do a good LSR every weekend and some good shorter and slightly faster runs during the week. I'm going to do 35mpw (+/-) and make sure the sessions are good quality. The week of the Dublin Half, I'm going to train smart, rest and go for a PB (currently 1.58.49).

That sounds very sensible! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

smart move IMHO - you dont want to run yourself into the ground or worse, an injury :mad:

• Advertisement

Dear Boardsies

Please note that this is the first time claralara has done what she's been told.

Yours in amazement,

Digger

Advertisement