Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    Et moi aussi!!

Pas problem pour toi Mademoiselle, c'est facile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Pas problem pour toi Mademoiselle, c'est facile!

Ah bien monsieur - j'espère que vous avez raison! :)

Wednesday 29th June
    - Rest – kinda wanted to engage in some cross training but given that I still wasn’t 100% and didn't want to jeopardise Thursday’s 9miles, I settled for dinner and a glass of wine in lieu! :)

Thursday 30th June
    Plan: 9miles General Aerobic – 9.15-9.45
    - Actual: 9 miles @ 9.16 Av Pace
    Headed out after work from town towards UCD, taking in the not-so-fun Fosters Ave / Mount Anville hill, Goatstown, Taney Hill, Churchtown, Milltown, Donnybrook and back into town. It’s actually a lovely loop, some tough climbs but what goes up… Garmin is saying there was an elevation gain of 3,855ft...could that be right?! Typically it took about 4miles for the legs to loosen out but once they did, it made for an even more enjoyable run. Twas warm out there – another round of freckles to add to the mix!

Ah bien monsieur - j'espère que vous avez raison! :)

Mais vous etes tres capable. C'est ca!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Stop showing off you two!

Good to see the miles and freckles are coming along nicely:D

You doing Clontarf by the way?

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »

Yes, I'm pacing 2hrs with you :P

Excuzez-moi, je suis desolé.

From now on I will speak in a manner you understand boi and I will desist from speaking in foreign tongues ever aginn!

I’m running Clontarf as an LSR. Will attempt to hang around you pair of good-for-nothings but probably won’t be able to!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

From now on I will speak in a manner you understand boi and I will desist from speaking in foreign tongues ever aginn!
    Clearly not a cunning linguist then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I’m running Clontarf as an LSR. Will attempt to hang around you pair of good-for-nothings but probably won’t be able to!

Me too, meet you around the starting line for a bit of company then? The Clown is pacing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Had not thought of that...

I don't want to race it [+/- 8 min miles] - but it never occurred to me for a second to do it as a LSR, and do it at 9+ min mile pace..

Interesting idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Had not thought of that...

I don't want to race it [+/- 8 min miles] - but it never occurred to me for a second to do it as a LSR, and do it at 9+ min mile pace..

Interesting idea :)

Jebas.... If Vagga's running, the cost of Public Liability Insurance has just gone through the roof :D

Friday 1st July
    - Rest

Saturday 2nd July
    Plan: 4 miles @ 10.30
    - Actual: 4 miles @ 10.06 Av Pace
    A very chilled nice recovery run around the Rathfarnham 5k route with an extra loop around Bushy park to make up the distance. Nothing overly exciting to report. Left shin felt a bit ouch when I stopped but not in a worrying way.

Sunday 3rd July
    Plan: 12 miles @ 9.28-10.28
    - Actual: 13.19 @ 9.26

Clontarf Half Marathon
    Entry to this was one of the benefits of being friends with Meno!
    I was never going to race this one but it fit in with the first LSR of marathon training so I decided to do it as a training run and enjoy it. Now, because I wasn’t racing, I didn’t say no to the, ahem, box of wine on Saturday night (such failure to exercise self discipline to seek revenge at some stage...) so I was a little dehydrated and basically ridiculously unprepared. Took a gel before the race at a last ditch effort to fuel myself. Headed out with mrslow and spagbol who were pacing the 2 hour group when mrslow EVENTUALLY managed to pick up a satellite from somewhere in the universe about 7 hours after the race started…! I faffed along with the lads at the 2 hour pace for a few miles and then started to think about maybe just going for it (my half PB is 1.58.49) and seeing how it went. But having spent a fair bit of time and energy thinking and changing my mind and battling the demons, I concluded to stick with the original plan and started to fall back from the guys between 6 and 7 miles. I must admit though that I was starting to struggle at the 9 min pace at this stage too. It was very warm out there and, as I said, I was completely unprepared. The gel was not sitting well in my stomach and the wine was wreaking havoc in there too. Hooked up with Emer 911 for a mile or between 8/9 (I think) but she caught me at my worst patch and I really thought I was going to be sick. So I sent her off with the promise that I wouldn’t collapse in a heap at the side of the road. Pulled through that slump and was started to enjoy the run again back along the beach. Just trotting along, handy pace, happy out! Back up onto the road, across the wooden bridge and the legs were loosening out again. I had joked about stopping at 12 miles because that’s what P&D prescribed but I knew I wouldn’t and couldn’t really do that! Then just beyond the 11.5 mile mark, some girl collapsed beside me. A few people stopped but seeing as I wasn’t racing, I told them to go on and I stayed with her. It took her a few minutes to come around, she was completely wrecked. She said she pushed too hard when she really wasn’t feeling great. There were a few people around and they called an ambulance – there were no stewards around at all which was a poor show. Anyway, after about 10 minutes with the ambulance en route and plenty of people looking after her, I continued on – I was aware that the group would be getting slightly concerned as to my own wellbeing at that stage. My official chip time as a result of my being a good Samaritan is 2.16.19 so I’m going to go with the Garmin for this one and call it as a nice 13.1 mile LSR at an average pace of 9.26 and a finishing time of 2.04.30. The spread at the finish line was great…the muffins will feed the family for a week! ;)

I’m glad I kept this a training run. A bad race would have upset me and p***ed me off. In no way, shape or form would I or should I have raced a half marathon in week one of what is going to be a tough training programme. So instead of a bad race performance, I had an enjoyable LSR (granted with some tough spots) – just what the doctor ordered. It was also my longest run since Connemara which is a bit mad because I was still doing relatively decent weekly mileage but just more frequent shorter runs.

Another random thought: in terms of hidden progress – I ran my first half marathon last May in a time of 2.04.54 and was completely shattered and broken after it. I injured myself which had me out of running for 5 weeks and, injury aside, it still took ages to recover from the race and the distance. Now I’ve just done that distance and time as a (mostly) pleasant training run. So although a 50 minute 10k and a 1.53 HM and a 4 hour marathon are still out of my grasp, it is nice to see that I’ve gotten somewhere….

34.23 miles for the week – very disciplined – only a mile over the plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good weeks training there. I have no doubt that a 50 min 10k and a 1'53 half are not out of your reach, if you get a good day and you're feeling well.

I'll be pacing 4hrs in DCM so i hope to see you in the group :D

Fair play again for staying with that girl, you did Florence Nightingale proud!;)

Fair play again for staying with that girl, you did Florence Nightingale proud!;)

Bought a lotto ticket on the way home and....nothing! Zilch. Zero. Nada. Karma my rear end! I'm never helping a lady in distress again! ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Euromillions tonight. Maybe, just maybe... ;)

Week 2 – 36 miles
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday 8 w/ 10 X 100m strides
    Wednesday Rest / Cross Training
    Thursday 10 GA
    Friday Rest / Cross Training
    Saturday 13 w/ 8 PMP
    Sunday 5 Rec

That's the fun for this week!

Enjoyed the rest last night. Was supposed to run before work this morning but the rain kept me and my poor sunburnt shoulders in bed...ironic eh?! Means that tonight will be a late enough one but bring it on..:)

I am going to start selling my factor 50 at the start of races in future.;)

Well done on Sunday and your act of kindness will surely be rewarded in a race one of these days.

Well done on Sunday and your act of kindness will surely be rewarded in a race one of these days.

As a betting man, I guarantee you wouldn't put any money on such a laughable thought!! :pac:

Euromillions tonight. Maybe, just maybe... ;)

She may put out the next time you meet her, that's Karma!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

As a betting man, I guarantee you wouldn't put any money on such a laughable thought!! :pac:

It made me have a little chuckle in a very quiet library! :rolleyes:

Ah here, i don't gamble on humans as they can't be trusted when there's money on something. Horses are something you can rely on when the money's down.

Claralara, remember who your friends are when the 6 winning numbers come up;)

Ah here, i don't gamble on humans as they can't be trusted when there's money on something. Horses are something you can rely on when the money's down.

Claralara, remember who your friends are when the 6 winning numbers come up;)

I’ll consider buying you a pint… But you don’t need my money, just my good looks and attention…;) Sure aren’t you the one with too much money in the bank?!

Tuesday 5th July
    Plan: 8 miles @ 9.28-9.58 w/ 10 X 100m strides
    - Actual: 8 @ 9.10 av. w/ 10 X 100m strides
    Didn’t get out until late so was almost 10 by the time I finished this but it was a lovely night for it. I really enjoyed this one. Did a 3mile w/u and then did the 100m strides at the start of every half mile for the remaining 5. Had to do them in like that so I wouldn’t lose count (as I’m special like that!) which meant I hit number 5 at the bottom of hill that’s the killer in the Rathfarnham 5k. All 10 sets were around 7.30/7.45 pace I think. It wasn’t as bad as I anticipated. Legs felt great. Glad I took it easy in Clontarf and didn’t jeopardise this week’s training. A really good run all in all. Think this may become one of my favourites! I wonder could I run a marathon in such a manner…:rolleyes:

Wednesday 6th July
    Plan: Rest / Cross Training
    - Actual: 4.33 miles @ 9.26
    Oops…because I found myself stranded sans car and didn’t want to get up early enough to walk to work, I had to run! So I planned to do a 4mile recovery, which should have been no faster than 10.30, but the legs felt good and it’s a reeeaaaallly flat route and I couldn’t help it. Wasn’t looking at the Garmin but the few times I did, I really had to make an effort to pull it back down.

I’ll consider buying you a pint… But you don’t need my money, just my good looks and attention…;) Sure aren’t you the one with too much money in the bank?!

Thanks for the pint. Also thanks for your attention:D

Regarding my financial situation, i've had to sell the villa in Tramore as the cat is eating me out of the house. And the reason i do the pacing gigs is for the free food!!

Thanks for the pint. Also thanks for your attention:D

Regarding my financial situation, i've had to sell the villa in Tramore as the cat is eating me out of the house. And the reason i do the pacing gigs is for the free food!!

Noooooo….not the villa in Tramore!! :eek: Maybe we could get weekend jobs as the kitchen help on the Seacat and then we could say we spend our free time at sea on an ocean liner living the high life..;)

Maybe we could get weekend jobs as the kitchen help on the Seacat

Your Daddy owns the Seacat!:P

Your Daddy owns the Seacat!:P

Her Daddy owns the Sea, i own the cat:D

Her Daddy owns the Sea, i own the cat:D

Puds owns you!

• Advertisement

Puds has finally made it, he's been mentioned on the Princess' training log.

Advertisement