Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

chinguetti wrote: »
    Puds has finally made it, he's been mentioned on the Princess' training log.

We'll have to get him a Boards AC singlet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Mr Slow wrote: »
    We'll have to get him a Boards AC singlet!

And a crown if he wants to hang out in here!

I believe he already has a throne... No wonder spagbol suffers the pain in his calf muscles what with having to curl up in a basket to watch the horses. Never mind having to get through that cat flap after a night on the beer!!

Thursday 7th July
    Plan: 10 miles @ 9.28 – 9.58 GA
    - Actual: 10 @ 9.31 Av Pace
    Bad lunch choice made itself known after about 3 miles – a tuna wrap with no less than a fisherman’s annual quota (ugh!) – did not sit well in the tum! Managed to get through it… That’s one thing about running 5 miles away from home – you have to get back somehow! Lesson learned though and will not be having that lunch in advance of an evening run again Legs were pooped for the last mile but struggled through. Twas a nice run otherwise – out the N11, mount merrion hill was a killer into the wind and back down to Blackrock, in along the coast. Still don’t understand how the wind can be against you the whole time when you do a loop though!! :confused:

Friday 8th July
    Plan: Rest / Cross Training
    Was dying for a rest day but work errands this morning saw me taking in 5 miles on foot all over this fair city. I am done and done for the day now! Junk food in the office kitchen simply because it’s a Friday and steak and a pre-hydrating beer tonight… J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

claralara wrote: »
    And a crown if he wants to hang out in here!

I believe he already has a throne... No wonder spagbol suffers the pain in his calf muscles what with having to curl up in a basket to watch the horses. Never mind having to get through that cat flap after a night on the beer!!

Puds is at Oxygen so he'll get back to you early next week after he get through the cat flap. And me calves are fine, thanks for asking.:D

chinguetti wrote: »
    Puds is at Oxygen so he'll get back to you early next week after he get through the cat flap. And me calves are fine, thanks for asking.:D

How's the other affliction? Not Meno, the foot one!:pac:

• Advertisement

Saturday 9th July
    Knew I was going to miss the group run as I was on niece-minding duty on Saturday monring so I had a bottle and a half of wine on friday night instead which put me off any run at all on Saturday... Went for a boozy lunch instead..:o

Sunday 10th July
    - 13 miles @ 9.36 Av
    How not to prepare for a 13mile run: do not go for lunch at 2.30 on a saturday, stay out drinking refreshing cocktails until after midnight, have a fry and one glass of water for breakfast, lie on the couch until 5pm and then hit the streets.... The first few miles were grand but then I started to fade. Big time. Was fooked by mile 7! Picked up digger (yes he's still alive!) at mile 8 and literally dragged myself around the sportsworld 5mile loop to get to 13. I was running on empty - couldn't even be sure I was lifting my feet off the ground. Form got really poor which was quite worrying - would have been very stupid to have caused an injury! It was certainly a toughie. Need to cop on and think properly about nutrition and hydration and rest etc if I'm to get through the next 16 weeks in one piece!

Monday 11th July
    Plan: Rest / Cross Training
    Actual: 4.4miles @ 10.06 Av
    A much needed recovery run - and to make up for missing the 5mile recovery on saturday. Nice and easy to get a bit of feeling back in the legs!

I'm thinking a cold (not ice!) bath after tonight's run and a session with the foam roller would be a good call! Starting Pilates tomrrow too so shall see how that goes and whether it helps with the ole back problems.

Week 3 - 40 miles
    Monday Rest / Cross Training
    Tuesday 10 GA
    Wednesday 4 Recovery & Pilates
    Thursday 8 w/ 4 LT
    Friday Rest / Cross Training
    Saturday 4 Recovery
    Sunday 14 LSR

Slight tweaking: because of the 5 mile race on Saturday, Thursday will be 8 at whatever effort I can muster up. Not racing the 5 miler but will do it faster than the planned recovery and then hopefully get a decent LSR done on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Week 3 - 40 miles
    Monday Rest / Cross Training
    Tuesday 10 GA
    Wednesday 4 Recovery & Pilates
    Thursday 8 w/ 4 LT
    Friday Rest / Cross Training
    Saturday 4 Recovery
    Sunday 14 LSR

Slight tweaking: because of the 5 mile race on Saturday, Thursday will be 8 at whatever effort I can muster up. Not racing the 5 miler but will do it faster than the planned recovery and then hopefully get a decent LSR done on Sunday.

If I were you I'd just do the 4 or 5 easy on Thursday and do the race on Saturday with a small warm up/cool down and use it as you 8 w/ 4 LT. On sunday there should be a group run around Midday...

menoscemo wrote: »
    If I were you I'd just do the 4 or 5 easy on Thursday and do the race on Saturday with a small warm up/cool down and use it as you 8 w/ 4 LT. On sunday there should be a group run around Midday...

Good idear..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nice run yourself on Saturday! Glad to hear digger is alive and well. :)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    If I were you I'd just do the 4 or 5 easy on Thursday and do the race on Saturday with a small warm up/cool down and use it as you 8 w/ 4 LT. On sunday there should be a group run around 10am...

FMP :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

It's great that you're a week ahead of me with P&D, I can cog all your training paces, no more melt-the-head VO2/LT calculations :D See you Saturday. Are you aiming sub-40?

have a fry and one glass of water for breakfast, lie on the couch until 5pm and then hit the streets.... The first few miles were grand but then I started to fade. Big time.

With P&D a lot is going to be demanded of your body, fuelling it properly is vital.

With P&D a lot is going to be demanded of your body, fuelling it properly is vital.

Yep, lesson learnt! Porridge and honey for brekkie today, banana at 11, and just had a big bowl of quinoa, tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber, spring onion and mixed seeds with my own homemade dressing in anticipation of 10 miles tonight. A little bit of preparation goes a long way! Only made that quinoa stuff for the first time for my packed lunch. Don’t know much about it but have heard it’s good for you…. Any ideas to spice up my packed lunch menu Mr ‘My Body is a Temple’?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Any ideas to spice up my packed lunch menu Mr ‘My Body is a Temple’?! ;)

from Mr Slow?
    Cocaine_1111822c.jpg

RayCun wrote: »
    from Mr Slow?
    Cocaine_1111822c.jpg

And for the weekends? I mean, that's fine for getting through the working day but what about these LSR's I'm struggling with?!

RayCun wrote: »
    from Mr Slow?
    Cocaine_1111822c.jpg

Is that one of your holiday snaps Ray?

And for the weekends? I mean, that's fine for getting through the working day but what about these LSR's I'm struggling with?!

crystal-meth.jpg

Is that one of your holiday snaps Ray?

I did it wrong :(
    ketamine.jpg

Ah sea salt...for rehydration?!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Try cooking some vegtables with a splash of soy sauce, lime zest and lime juice..... Did that with some cous cous and chicken and it was GOOOOOOOD :)

No crappy food for me :)

I hope Ray isn’t reading this but because of a number of things, including the 5miler on Saturday and getting stuck in work late on Tuesday when I was due a 10 mile run, I’ve tweaked the plan for the week. Still getting the mileage done but in a different order and at slightly different paces.

Tuesday 12th July
    Plan: 5 miles comfortable
    Actual: 5.11 miles @ 8.52 Av Pace
    I’m an eejit. Simple as! Took off like a bat out of hell and did the first 2 miles at 8.15 or something equally ridiculous. Then I had to stop to cross the road and couldn’t get going again at all. It was very stop/start with the traffic and I kept bounding off at stupid o’pace for a few hundred meters and then crashing! Don’t know what I was thinking!! Anyway, it’s done now. Another lesson learned this week!

Wednesday 13th July
    Plan: 10 miles GA (9.28-9.58)
    Actual: 10 miles @ 9.36 Av Pace
    Getting a bit bored trying to plan routes for these longer midweek runs. Plus I wanted to keep it flat and I had to go straight from work – therefore the only option was to stay in and around town. Left the office at baggot street and headed all the way up the canal towards the park, down into the memorial gardens and up and back by the river – there were loads of people out eating and drinking and picnicking in the sun while I was sweating my little brains out. Jealous much!! Then I headed back in along the quays to inhale some fumes of rush hour traffic and rub shoulders with the city’s finest on the boardwalk…good god – enough said! It was slightly congested and I had to stop at a couple of junctions but it wasn’t too interfering. That said, I won’t be taking that route at that time again – that’s what I get for being lazy and trying to avoid climbs! I’m surprised at the 9.36 pace as I really felt quite hot and tired and very very slow but again I suppose the lazy flat route helped!

Thursday 14th July
    Plan: 4 miles Recovery (10.28-10.58)
    Actual: 4 miles @ 10.52 Av Pace
    Couldn’t have taken the recovery aspect of this run any more literally than I did this morning! It took a few hundred metres to be certain that I was actually lifting my feet and moving forward… Really felt the benefit of this though and after a couple of miles it felt like there was some blood flowing in and loosening of the legs which was nice for a change!!

Friday 15th July
    Plan: Rest
    Actual! REST! Yaay… I cannot wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good work!

Thats some plan your following, your doing great with it

racheljev wrote: »
    It's great that you're a week ahead of me with P&D, I can cog all your training paces, no more melt-the-head VO2/LT calculations :D See you Saturday. Are you aiming sub-40?

Feel free to pikey any of my thoughts and actions but don't some crying to me when you catch the disease which makes you a crappy runner as a result...:D

It's pretty tough going innit?!

Wouldn't have a sub 40 in my legs for the life of me on Saturday! Are ya mad?! :eek:

Good work!

Thats some plan your following, your doing great with it

Cheers dude! It's going alright so far anyway. Though I did have a 'christ - only week 3 of 18' thought this morning... It passed though. I had some cake to get over the shock and I'm happy again! :)

Good work, Nice to see you doing the recoveries right. As the miles increase this will stand to you as they really do freshen the legs up.

I must have nearly bumped into you on Wedensday, i too was running along the quays around the same time and at about the same speed! (my Recovery).

I think if you give the 5 miler a blast you would be pretty close to sub 40, but it's understandable if you want to take it at about 1/2 mara pace (like me :))

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

I'm following your log with interest as am following the same plan and running very similar pace to you. Also on week 3 :D

I hope Ray isn’t reading this

...oh, right... I guess I know when I'm not wanted... :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great going there O. That plan sounds like a killer. Do NOT know how you run around town. It kills me to stop and cross a road.... I'm always trying to find the easiest route possible that involves the least road-crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

jcsmum wrote: »
    Great going there O. That plan sounds like a killer. Do NOT know how you run around town. It kills me to stop and cross a road.... I'm always trying to find the easiest route possible that involves the least road-crossing.

Have you not seen the FunPark frown.... Car drivers are scared of her!!:eek:

Advertisement