Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Saturday 11th June
    - 5.54 miles – Av Pace 9.23
    A hilly run in the sunny southeast. It was a gorgeous sunny morning but the route was pretty tough (and tougher in certain parts with an elevation gain of about 500ft!). But a satisfying run to get done all the same. Wouldn’t mind doing a few more like this – I’d say the benefits would outweigh the pain. Eventually…:rolleyes:

Sunday 12th June
    - 8.04 miles – Av Pace 9.13
    A hilly run in back in Dublin. In lashings and lashings of rain! Actually the conditions were lovely for it. Legs felt good – tired on the hills and a little breathless but finished with a flat mile and felt like I could have kept going.

625 miles for the year so far…weird… last year I think I ran about 70 kilometers in total and thought I was amazing...:pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's not what your fabulously nerdy excell 10k plan said :pac:

Good thing that flight of fancy was never published so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

claralara wrote: »
    last year I think I ran about 70 kilometers in total and thought I was amazing...:pac:

Cough cough.... sure we all know that you are amazing:rolleyes:

So whats the time you going for in Dunshauglin? We'll keep Vagga away from you so you should be fine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

chinguetti wrote: »
    Cough cough.... sure we all know that you are amazing:rolleyes:

So whats the time you going for in Dunshauglin? We'll keep Vagga away from you so you should be fine:D

Apparently he was being subtle in Cork, in Dunshaughlin he's just gonna punch you in the head at the start line.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

To whom it may concern,

This is to inform you that our client, Mister Vagga Bond has employed the firm of "Big Nasty Angry Blokes Inc" to act as security on his behalf, and protect him from your horrible, nasty and unprovoked attacks!

Any further assaults by you, on Mister Bond will lead to a large can of "whoop ass" being opened upon you,

Yours etc,

Really Expensive, Blood Sucking Lawyers and Partners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Between Mr Vagga Bond and Clara Lara, i feel we need a villian who has a cat.

All i'm saying is that i know a cat (he saya hello) so we just need a villian. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

625 miles for the year so far…weird

Nice to see you've been getting stuck into that dictionary again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice session last night there socodu chick ;)

Anyways I'll stick you up for 630.7 for the year in the 1000 mile challenge as discussed (as per you last update + yesterdays mileage).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

29 photos of the team from the Cork relay and Claralara is in about 25 of them. Camera whore. How many times did you run down the finishing straight? :pac:

RQ successfully dodged all cameras :cool:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RQ successfully dodged all cameras :cool:
    Ballyfermot life skill, right there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

chinguetti wrote: »
    Between Mr Vagga Bond and Clara Lara, i feel we need a villian who has a cat.

All i'm saying is that i know a cat (he saya hello) so we just need a villian. Any ideas?

Oh me me! Pick me... I can bash him on the head an stuff!

Monday 13th June
    - Rest

Tuesday 14th June
    - Intervals
    The plan said 12 X 400 but after a little think and a chat with Meno, I decided to do a pyramid (?) type session instead as follows: 2 X 200, 1 X 800, 1 X 1600, 1 X 800, 2 X 400 (and thereby covering the same distance as the planned 12 X 400). I was really really not looking forward to this. I didn’t think I’d be able to keep the pace at all. First two 400’s were alright though a little fast; second half of the 800 was tough but manageable; second half of the 1600 was horrible – really wanted to stop but kept aiming 100m at a time until I finished; next 800 was tough but the end of the session was in sight so I kept it going (finished this one in a bad way!); I pushed the last two 400’s even though I was wrecked and they were tough but I was determined to finish strong. I couldn’t believe I saw this session through in the end; I did them all a little faster than I should have; it was a struggle and could really feel it in the warm down but it’s a very satisfying one to have under the belt.

Splits:- Distance (Pace) – 400 (6:30) / 400 (6:32) / 800 (7:42) / 1600 (7:46) / 800 (7:19) / 400 (6:35) / 400 (6:25)

Total incl. W/U & W/D – 5.7 miles

Wednesday 15th June
    - 5.23 miles – 9.13 Av Pace
    This was an awful run. A 9.32min first mile – slow to warm up. Thought I’d settle into it but the last 2/3 miles were horrendous. Everything just felt difficult – mind and body were all over the place. Finished in an absolute heap – completely breathless and heart racing.

I am now unequivocally removing myself from an attempt to go sub 50 in Dunshaughlin – I’m just not there yet. And I know it. I know myself and I know how I work. If I go out with my heart set on sub 50, blow up after 3 miles and know that it’s gone, I will crumble and I will stop. I have a lot to work on but I’ve accepted that and I have plenty of time to work on it. Someday I’ll be able to string 6.3 8minute miles together but it won’t be in 10 days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I am now unequivocally removing myself from an attempt to go sub 50 in Dunshaughlin – I’m just not there yet. And I know it. I know myself and I know how I work. If I go out with my heart set on sub 50, blow up after 3 miles and know that it’s gone, I will crumble and I will stop. I have a lot to work on but I’ve accepted that and I have plenty of time to work on it. Someday I’ll be able to string 6.3 8minute miles together but it won’t be in 10 days time.

I am not, repeat NOT shouldering a PB of sub 50 alone in Dunshaughlin. I know what you mean though, sometimes I think that it's in me, other times I don't.
    Based on your recent 5k and your training, I'd say you will do it alright.

Why don't we both say, we'll run Dunshauglin, enjoy the race and if we do a sub 50 (or sub 49 :rolleyes:) then great. If not, so be it. :)

Let the boys have their silly little bets! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

jcsmum wrote: »
    I am not, repeat NOT shouldering a PB of sub 50 alone in Dunshaughlin. I know what you mean though, sometimes I think that it's in me, other times I don't.
    Based on your recent 5k and your training, I'd say you will do it alright.

Why don't we both say, we'll run Dunshauglin, enjoy the race and if we do a sub 50 (or sub 49 :rolleyes:) then great. If not, so be it. :)

Let the boys have their silly little bets! ;)

Everything from your training indicates sub 50 is possible, in fact proabable. remember you did all your intervals faster than planned!! It just takes good pacing and you'll get it.

At the same stage jcsmum is right, it shouldn't be like a burden around your neck. So just go out and run as fast as you can but without the pressure of a strict time target and enjoy it. You'll proabably find that without the pressure, sub 50 will be a breeeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

So just go out and run as fast as you can but without the pressure of a strict time target and enjoy it.
    Thats it, just go and run at whatever pace you are happy with, so its enjoyable.

We all do this for some levels of fun/enjoyment after all, its not like we are chasing Olympic qualifying times or anything!

That being said, from the work I have seen you do, I think the sub 50 is there within you, but its counter productive to beat yourself up worrying about it

We all do this for some levels of fun/enjoyment

Fun??? I do this because there's a bit of a masochist in me. I mean who has fun running fartlek on 2" of ice in a tshirt and shorts?:D

I believe I'm the only one with an excuse here for not going sub-50 next weekend... HTFU :pac::D

I believe I'm the only one with an excuse here for not going sub-50 next weekend... HTFU :pac::D

Agreed!

Obviously I'm not going to go out and walk the bloody race but I need to accept that I don't have a sub 50 in me jsut yet and that's that. I'll run as hard as I can and take what I get but I need to prepare my head for it being very tough if I'm to get close to 50 and that if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world. C'mon lads - you've all seen the snot bubbles!!

Obviously I'm not going to go out and walk the bloody race but I need to accept that I don't have a sub 50 in me jsut yet and that's that. I'll run as hard as I can and take what I get but I need to prepare my head for it being very tough if I'm to get close to 50 and that if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world. C'mon lads - you've all seen the snot bubbles!!

Don't mind the hecklers! Them and their sub 4 marathons :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Don't mind the hecklers! Them and their sub 4 marathons :rolleyes:

Sub 3:45 I'll have you know :D

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Sub 3:45 I'll have you know :D

Yes, but it was an easier sentence to write as I was describing you and RK.
    Please forgive me! :rolleyes::D

Yes, but it was an easier sentence to write as I was describing you and RK.
    Please forgive me! :rolleyes::D

You are forgiven, go forth in peace.

Thursday 16th June
    - c.5 miles

The plan was the last of the McMillan 10k workouts i.e. 3 X 2mile @ race pace (just under 8min/mile if we’re thinking a sub 50 10k). I did the first of the key workouts (4 X 1mile) weeks ago and although tough, I got through it according to plan. I then managed to miss every single one of the Thursday sessions and didn’t make up for them myself. So given the lack of preparation and Wednesday’s bad run, I was not looking forward to this. Met Meno, Sharktale and Digdig out in Marlay and set off…I stopped dead after less than .1 of a mile… I can’t explain what happened – I just wasn’t feeling it. Decided to scrap the session and just get a run in. After ONE 9 minute mile, I blew up. Nothing was clicking, it all felt so difficult and wrong and not smooth. Had a time out and went again. Did an 8:55 mile and stopped again. At that stage I decided I was just going to jog around a bit and get my head together while the others did their thang. Did just under 2 miles at 9:40 to try loosen out the legs. Met the lads again for their last mile and decided to have one more attempt at a faster mile. Got around in 8:14 but could feel my tired legs for most of it and was also breathing fairly heavily by the end. Legs are absolutely shot today. Was hoping to go for a few beers this evening but I think I’ll spend the night on the floor with the foam roller, the stick and the late late instead.

Going to enjoy the group run tomorrow and then take it easy next week and hope the legs cheer up a bit. Maybe a few 30/40min recovery runs before work. Proper recovery runs – as in no faster than 9:50/10 minute miles! I will learn…

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Fun??? I do this because there's a bit of a masochist in me. I mean who has fun farting in 2" shorts?:D
    :eek:

Was hoping to go for a few beers this evening but I think I’ll spend the night on the floor with the foam roller, the stick and the late late instead.

TMI young lady.......

Anyway, I make the decisions around here so it's yes to beers and if you feel the need, you can use my the stick later to ease your tension ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    TMI young lady.......

Anyway, I make the decisions around here so it's yes to beers and if you feel the need, you can use my the stick later to ease your tension ;)

And you're accusing her of TMI? :eek:

And you're accusing her of TMI? :eek:

Ha ha, anyway, she doesn't know what TMI means.....

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Just catching up on logs tonight and wanted to say well done on all the fantastic runs and races (marathon, half-marathons etc) you've put in over the last few months. I'm mightily impressed (and just a tad jealous)!

I've no doubt that after a bit of a rest and recovery you'll exceed all your expectations in Dunshaughlin so keep the spirits up! And leave some cake for me for when I cross the line!

• Advertisement

runrabbit wrote: »
    Just catching up on logs tonight and wanted to say well done on all the fantastic runs and races (marathon, half-marathons etc) you've put in over the last few months. I'm mightily impressed (and just a tad jealous)!

I've no doubt that after a bit of a rest and recovery you'll exceed all your expectations in Dunshaughlin so keep the spirits up! And leave some cake for me for when I cross the line!

Thanks RR, it's been a bit up and down recently but still hacking away at it and enjoying it! Dreading Saturday though...:eek: What are you hoping for? Think there'll be a bit of craic and a few drinks after it so at the very least that should pull us through! :D

Advertisement