Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

claralara wrote: »
    I will approach the next one differently!
    Come your next 5k you will be holding that 7:10 pace ..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd have to questions Digger's pacing here (sorry digger). Sub 24 was a very realistic target, but doing the first two miles in 7.11 and 7.17 is way too fast (both are mile P.B's). Bear in mind that sub 24 only requires an average pace of 7.43/mile...I can understand the concept of banking some time maybe 10-15 seconds but it sounds like you had nothing left by the time you got to the hill...Sub 24 is definately there based on the first two miles. i'd reccommend running alone for your next 5k. I think a pacer is good for a longer race but for a 5k is an unwelcome distraction.

I agree, when running hard on shorter distances, I set off aiming for even pace to meet my target time (regardless of course) and run to the brink of feeling unwell and stay there until near the end where I try and push harder because the finish is close enough that I can still get there on pace regardless of whether or not I'll puke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mrslow wrote: »
    I agree, when running hard on shorter distances, I set off aiming for even pace to meet my target time (regardless of course) and run to the brink of feeling unwell and stay there until near the end where I try and push harder because the finish is close enough that I can still get there on pace regardless of whether or not I'll puke.

Mr Slow agrees with me :)

I just put your two mile time from saturday into Mcmillan (14.28) and he gives equivalent times of 23.29 for 5k and 48.47 for 10k.

Bearing in mind that you did this 2 miles as part of a 5k (not a 2 mile race as mcmillan assumes) it shows that pacing was the issue on saturday but that you should take confidence as if you get the pacing right your goals are easily achievable.

It's the law of averages N, throw out enough banter and you're bound to be right at some point! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That just shows the two of you are talking sh1te..... I was promised a Happy Ending if all three mile splits were PB's.... ;):D

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    That just shows the two of you are talking sh1te..... I was promised a Happy Ending if all three mile splits were PB's.... ;):D

Tell us digger how did the visit to the manor Born go on sunday? I bet you and daddylara were buddies back in the day? :P

Tell us digger how did the visit to the manor Born go on sunday? I bet you and daddylara were buddies back in the day? :P

They knew each other back when everything was B&W

They knew each other back when everything was B&W

Let's just say it all ended happily ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I've been grounded. And my allowance has been frozen for a month... All of my allowances - car, clothes, social life, PA, mobile beauty therapist etc. He's even grounded the chopper!! :(:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Just had to say congrats on a great time in the 5k race.
    ANY PB should be a good day!

I won't be able to keep up with you when next we hook up for a run (eventually!) :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Emer911 wrote: »
    I won't be able to keep up with you when next we hook up for a run (eventually!) :p
    Welcome to the club, she's leaving us all in the dust! :eek:

I've been grounded. And my allowance has been frozen for a month... All of my allowances - car, clothes, social life, PA, mobile beauty therapist etc. He's even grounded the chopper!! :(:mad::(

''Z's dead baby''......;)

It’s been so long since I’ve bored you all with my ramblings that I almost forgot my password! I haven’t updated in aaaaages! Last week didn’t really go according to plan as I was really busy in work and just didn’t have the time to fit it all in.

So here goes:-
    Tuesday 31st May
    - Missed the track session for an unplanned rest (if you can call being stuck in work until midnight a rest!)

Wednesday 1st June
    - As above!

Thursday 2nd June
    - 7 miles – Av Pace 9.21
    Got out of work in time to join the lads in Marlay for the cool down of their McMillan 10k session so decided to just go for a run of about 5/6 miles around the park. I found it tough enough – was just exhausted after the week in work. Got up to 7 miles in the end so was happy enough with that.

Friday 3rd June
    - 5 miles – Av Pace 8.55
    Decided to go for a 6am pre-work stretch – no plan in mind, just to see how I felt. Thought I’d be wrecked after Thursday evening but I’d had a good feed and a good sleep for the first time in days and actually felt really good. Twas a gorgeous morning for a run out the coast – had the roads to myself.

Saturday 4th June
    - Rest – a result of a couple of vinos and a late night Friday…

Sunday 5th June
    - 3.14 miles – Av Pace 9.28
    Arrived in Cork for the marathon (of which I was just running a 5mile leg for the relay team) and just headed out with Digger for a few miles to loosen up the legs in advance of his sub 4.33 marathon attempt the following morning… :rolleyes: I had done something funny to the outer arch of my left foot while walking around earlier in the afternoon so I was a little worried when the pain moved into the heel and lasted the rest of the day and throughout the run. Iced it back at the hotel after and it eased up a little. I couldn’t really describe it as a ‘pain’ as such…more of a strain!

Monday 6th June
    - Cork Marathon Relay – First Leg - 5.5 miles – Av Pace 8.15
    This was only ever supposed to be a bit of craic and an excuse to go to Cork to join the marathon celebrations with the gang so there wasn’t really a goal or a pace plan. Until dinner on Sunday night that is, when I was instructed to head out with the 3.30 pacers and do my 5 miles at 8 min pace in preparation for Dunshaughlin. I was dubious as to my ability or lack thereof but I played along with it for an easy life ;). Had half a granola bar and a cup of tea at about 8am – a ridiculous pre-race ‘meal’ and far from my usual preparation! I had also had hardly any water to drink in the days previous. Along with 2 boozy late nights on Friday and Saturday… :o But as I said, I was only considering this a fun run only. I headed out behind the 3.30 balloons in any event but with no concrete plan. Managed to keep with them for the first two miles (7.54 & 7.52). About half a mile later the legs started to misbehave (particularly the left calf which has been the cause of any problems I have had to date). I kind of deserved it though. Decided to keep going to 3 miles and then to stop for a stretch - seeing as it was a ‘fun run’ (I hope RQ isn’t reading this! :rolleyes:) I wasn’t too worried about taking a minute. Did mile 3 in 8.19. Stopped to stretch and stopped the Garmin (I know I probably shouldn’t have but schmah!) The last 2 miles were a fair bit slower – not overly uncomfortable but I don’t think I could have gone much faster (8.28 & 8.31). The last half mile I slowed right down because I was pooped (the pace for that was 8.59 embarrasse) Was running up to the changeover point with my eyes peeled for Vagga to pass the wristband. I knew we had discussed where he would be but I was convinced I had missed him when I getting closer and closer to the end of transition. And then I spotted the big clumsy oaf on the side of the road… So I sprinted up to him; wristband in my outstretched hands; prepared for a slick, heroic, and winning changeover. Vagga had different ideas apparently and took the opportunity to turn on his heels via my ankles and completely take me out of the game. I ended up spreadeagled in the middle of the road with people panicking and thinking I had collapsed (after 5 measly miles!!) – I have never moved as quickly as I did trying to jump up and regain some dignity! I shudder to think what the damage would have been had I been racing against him!! Vagga – you should come with a warning sign! Anyway was happy enough with the run for what it was on the day but I am concerned about Dunshaughlin…but that’s for another day!

- 5 miles – Av Pace 10.15
    After I handed over the wristband, picked myself up and wiped down my bloody hands and knees I jogged (very leisurely) back into the city centre with another lady who had just run the first leg and just faffed about for a while to get a few miles in. Nothing exciting to report on that one. I then bought a coffee and a warm top and parked myself at the finish line to watch the winners coming in. My god it is an emotional experience – I was a blubbering mess and hadn’t done a tap myself!!

I was trying to gauge what time our last team member and the lads would be coming in so I headed back down to provide some roaring support to people as they hit the home run. Saw racheljev bounding along in her team tshirt so hopped down onto the road and ran beside her for the last half mile. She was flying it. Team Boards crossed the line in 3.32.03 which was a great result for our plan for a fun day out! Well done lads! :)

Went back down to my supporting spot to watch the rest of the gang coming in. Mrslow passed me looking great running a brilliant time – went in for the high five and missed. I missed! Not the guy who had just run 26 miles in 3hours 40mins – the girl who was standing still on the side of the road fresh as a daisy having run 5 miles 3 hours earlier…typical special behaviour out of me!:cool: Couple of people noticed the boards top as they ran past. Digger arrived like a bat out of hell at that stage with the hopes of a 4.30 marathon in desperate ruins – I ran a few hundred metres with him but couldn’t keep up :o and dropped off as I couldn’t cross the finish line again!!

A great day all spent followed by a great night! I’m looking forward to the next one already. The social occasion I mean!:D

Tuesday 7th June
    - 3.83 miles – Av Pace 10.33
    This was a very slow but very enjoyable recovery trail run – except the concentration on not tripping up kind of hurt my brain… Nice for a change!

Wednesday 8th June
    - 5.11 miles – Av Pace 9.33
    A tough enough undulating run on the back roads of Kerry – legs were tired and heavy though breathing etc felt fine. A good one all the same! I think I’m addicted…

Thursday 9th June
    - Rest

Friday 10th June
    - 3.2 miles
    Decided I wanted to see if I was able to do something slightly faster than my usual Friday morning run especially having missed the McMillan workout last night so was planning a warm up, 2 x 8min miles and a warm down. The WU & WD were at about 9.25 pace. The 2 miles in the middle were 7.55. It ended up being more of a fartlek run though as the route I took was not well thought out – along the canal – so had to stop at lights every .3 of a mile or something. Still though, it was interesting. I really do not see myself being able to do 8minutes’ for 6.3 continuous miles in less than 3 weeks however. We shall see! The sub 50 may be a longer term goal but sure that’s not the end of the world!

Decided to keep going to 3 miles and then to stop for a stretch - seeing as it was a ‘fun run’ (I hope RQ isn’t reading this! :rolleyes:) I wasn’t too worried about taking a minute. Did mile 3 in 8.19. Stopped to stretch and stopped the Garmin (I know I probably shouldn’t have but schmah!)

:eek: RQ will not be a happy camper :p

:eek: RQ will not be a happy camper :p

Sssshhhhh!!

*pretends she didn't hear that* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on your Cork relay leg. Great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done girl, no signs of any photos of the assualt by Vagga:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

For the first time in my life, I'm speechless.

Shocked and appalled. :eek:

For the first time in my life, I'm speechless.

Oh thank God :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

You did a great first leg - so what if you had to stretch?? Still, I'm glad it was you and not me :D Thanks for coming back and running over the last bit with me - I was fading fast and you were excellent at ignoring my moany "I'm tired, my legs hurt, my bra is chafing me". I particularly liked your "sssh don't try to talk, just keep going, nearly there" ;)

racheljev wrote: »
    You did a great first leg - so what if you had to stretch?? Still, I'm glad it was you and not me :D Thanks for coming back and running over the last bit with me - I was fading fast and you were excellent at ignoring my moany "I'm tired, my legs hurt, my bra is chafing me". I particularly liked your "sssh don't try to talk, just keep going, nearly there" ;)

If she hadn't stretched, ye'd have broken 3:30 :D Just sayin is all! :)

If she hadn't stretched, ye'd have broken 3:30 :D Just sayin is all! :)

Quiet you :pac:

I'm just saying what you're all thinking :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Someone on here did text me yesterday with the ''now you know why your team didn't break 3:30" comment. :p

Still shocked and appalled. Gobsmacked.

Love how she didn't mention this in Cork at all. :pac:

^ Avatar and post go together so well :D

Will she be included in next year's team???

I am not engaging in this – I merely want to clarify that the Vaggababes intended from the outset that our team was running the relay in Cork for fun; as a good way to get a few extras who weren’t running the marathon down to Cork with the crew; to get us out for a few miles so that we wouldn’t be seen as complete lazy sods while the rest of yee put away 26.2 easy miles. At no time did I propose or promise to deliver anything faster than 9 minute miles. If the Queen is unhappy with our approach and / or result, she may write a strongly worded letter to those who let the ‘competitive’ team down and left her hanging. That is all. Case closed. :P

Clara Lara,
    RTÉ News,
    Cork.
    Good Evening!

Will she be included in next year's team???

I will BE next year's team. All five legs of it!

• Advertisement

I am not engaging in this – I merely want to clarify that the Vaggababes intended from the outset that our team was running the relay in Cork for fun; as a good way to get a few extras who weren’t running the marathon down to Cork with the crew; to get us out for a few miles so that we wouldn’t be seen as complete lazy sods while the rest of yee put away 26.2 easy miles. At no time did I propose or promise to deliver anything faster than 9 minute miles. If the Queen is unhappy with our approach and / or result, she may write a strongly worded letter to those who let the ‘competitive’ team down and left her hanging. That is all. Case closed. :P

Clara Lara,
    RTÉ News,
    Cork.
    Good Evening!

That's not what your fabulously nerdy excell 10k plan said :pac:

Advertisement