Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »

I ate well done steak for years (mammy's special), you have no idea what you're talking about. You won't find the freanch/italians/spanish (i.e. people who know about food) serving you a well done steak.

This advice from the man promoting the nutritional value of a snack box last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

mrslow wrote: »
    This advice from the man promoting the nutritional value of a snack box last week?

Sure he was advocating pre-LSR bacon lardons to me a couple of weeks ago...bleurgh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Menopause knows EVERYTHING. Listen to him. Wise man. Wise man... :pac:

Menopause thinks he knows EVERYTHING. Listen to him. Wise man. Wise man... :pac:

FYP;)

Not like you to be so supportive of Meno, is there something we don't know?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nothing like it after a marathon. Protein to repair the Muscles, Carbs to replace the Glycogen and lots of salt to replace what you lost in the sweat :cool::pac:

• Advertisement

Nothing like it after a marathon. Protein to repair the Muscles, Carbs to replace the Glycogen and lots of salt to replace what you lost in the sweat :cool::pac:

There's more protein in the box than the chicken, that is of course if they've used chicken :eek:

There's more protein in the box than the chicken, that is of course if they've used chicken :eek:

You must be going to the wrong chippers or confusing it with Chicken nuggets. Ask for a breast next time.

You must be going to the wrong chippers or confusing it with Chicken nuggets. Ask for a breast next time.

Best of the breast, hold the bra?

Friday 20th May
    No running – just work and a 6 hour drive to the back ar5e of Kerry which resulted in stiff and cramped legs akin to the remnants of a hard run… not fun.

Saturday 21st May
    - Valentia Island Triathlon – Relay – 5k (no chip time) :mad:
    I agreed to do the run as part of a relay team for this race. It was very last minute so I wasn’t prepared for it as a good goal race – I wasn’t sure of the distance, hadn’t looked at the route… basically didn’t have a plan at all. The weather was absolutely horrendous. Gale force winds and lashings of rain showers. It was miserable! The organisers were going to cancel the swim leg but after a couple of hours, they decided to re-route it and have it in the sheltered part of the bay. And then I witnessed a couple of crashes on the bikes because the conditions were so bad. I was drenched by the time my cyclist came in – definitely need new runners this week after the squelches that were coming out of mine. Long story short: 5k run – first half uphill (272ft elevation) into the wind – 2nd half obviously easier but I was wrecked going into that – I could have pounded a bit faster on the way back down but I could feel it in my shins and I wasn’t doing damage for a race that wasn’t a goal so common sense prevailed. Mile splits: 9.01, 8.48, and 7.47 – not a happy bunny. I really hoped I could have broken 25 but no such luck. Will just have to try harder the next time!

Saturday 21st May
    - 4miles – Av Pace 9.33
    I was so peeved after the race that I just needed to get out and clear my head. Took it nice and handy as the weather was still manky. The views along the coast of the Island were gorgeous – I can only imagine how nice it would be to run there / do this event in good conditions. It put me back in good form for an amazing Heineken cup final session too!

Sunday 22nd May
    Another bazillion hour drive!! No running..:o

Monday 23rd May 24
    - 7.09 miles – Av Pace 9.22
    The main goal of this run was to stay on terra firma! It was pret-ty windy out there. I swear I got tripped up by gust of wind heading out the coast at Sandymount. I knew the hardest part of this route was going to be the second last mile and given that I spent the afternoon thinking about it and cursing it, it had me defeated before I even set foot on the bottom of it – Newtownpark Avenue: uphill (200+ft) and into the wind. Battle battle battle, yuck yuck yuck. Apparently I was a veritable wagon trying to get to the top of it – now I thought I had a look of concentration but the witness tells me I actually had a enormous scowl that would turn milk sour…oops! :rolleyes: Eventually managed to get up it in under 10 minutes so it was grand, nothing to write home about though.

Track tonight (shudder) – 9 X 400m (bleugh) – I’m expecting the weekly kick in the rear end will be extreme!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Wouldn't worry too much about the 5km. Conditions were terrible and you did 2 speed sessions, one of which was probably your toughest to date.
    nice meeting you last week and it really is a shame you won't be there on Thursday as they'll make you so much stronger, not by this Saturday though :D
    Best of luck with the 5k this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

claralara wrote: »
    Track tonight (shudder) – 9 X 400m (bleugh) – I’m expecting the weekly kick in the rear end will be extreme!! :eek:

No bleugh-ing out of you, it'll be fun :)

The witness eventually managed to get it up in under 10 minutes so it was grand, nothing to write home about though.

FYP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Apparently I was a veritable wagon trying to get to the top of it – now I thought I had a look of concentration but the witness tells me I actually had a enormous scowl that would turn milk sour…oops! :rolleyes:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

You're right to hate speed sessions, they're awful and they are awful people to make you do it.;)

Good luck on Saturday and don't go out too fast and you will be fine.

Woddle wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry too much about the 5km. Conditions were terrible and you did 2 speed sessions, one of which was probably your toughest to date.
    nice meeting you last week and it really is a shame you won't be there on Thursday as they'll make you so much stronger, not by this Saturday though :D
    Best of luck with the 5k this weekend.

Cheers Woddle, I know they'll stand to me and I won't miss anymore... Just making a good decision for this week...it's a strange feeling! Meno said I did too much speedwork last week so I'll do what I'm told and cut it out. It was only because of the 2 races in a row though really... I don't think I'm quite a running addicted fiend just yet! :rolleyes:
    No bleugh-ing out of you, it'll be fun :)

There was very nearly bleugh-ing...and not enough fun! :pac:
    FYP ;)

Five year plan?!!
    chinguetti wrote: »
    You're right to hate speed sessions, they're awful and they are awful people to make you do it.;)

Good luck on Saturday and don't go out too fast and you will be fine.

Spaggie, they are just a pack of meanies who have no smypathy for me and my moaning. I don't know how much I appreciate this 'tough lovin' approach!!

I bet I'll go out too fast and blow up like a maniac!! :rolleyes:

Tuesday 24th May
    Intervals at the track with Meno, Rk and Digdig last night. Definitely the toughest session to date. Every other week they’ve gotten easier after a few as the session went on. But not last night… After 3 and 4 I really thought I’d be doing the last one at 9.30 pace (I was always going to get to the last one but I wasn’t confident in what state that would be!) Anyway I managed to keep them all within planned pace (1.43 – 1.48 mins) but the recovery between each one was longer and tougher than it has been. Eased off on the penultimate one to try have something in the tank for an all out finish… Hit the deck after the last one as a result.:o And even found the warm down difficult... Anyway, a good session to have under my belt so happy out again.

1 1.45
    2 1.45
    3 1.43
    4 1.44
    5 1.43
    6 1.43
    7 1.42
    8 1.46
    9 1.38

Total for the evening including W/U and C/D was 6miles.

Getting new runners tonight – I’m very excited! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

AH the couple sessions I have been there you didn't moan that much...In fact you were very smiley etc etc..... So still waiting to see this infamous scowling and 'bleughing' :D

Just to everyone who goes on the tuesday....*Sorry to hijack your log but all the usual characters will look on urs and am too lazy to do it on the training sessions one*

I am following a specific programme now so when it lets me do sprints again I will be back out there quicker than Meno can do his 200m sprints.... 28 secs :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Perkina3 wrote: »
    AH the couple sessions I have been there you didn't moan that much...In fact you were very smiley etc etc.....

Probably cos she has her eye on you Dude ;)

Hey, Mr Slow, clara, JCSmum and digger:
    you have to get yourselves over to this thread to get a bit of good natured banter going. Mr Slow: ray has already started on you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow: ray has already started on you :pac:

Jaysus, that's not starting, that's not even warming up. He'll know when I've started :pac:

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's not starting, that's not even warming up. He'll know when I've started :pac:

Of course I will, I'll take a look back over my shoulder :P

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Probably cos she has her eye on you Dude ;)

Not what I heard!!!! :rolleyes:

Not what I heard!!!! :rolleyes:

Yep I heard she has peculiar taste alright and likes the smell of liver salt in the morning :D

Yeah I heard that as well!!! :rolleyes:

Sure maybe it's the draw of the old age pension?? Anyone know what the male version of a cougar is??? :D:D

Anyone know what the male version of a cougar is??? :D:D

A tortoise!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone know what the male version of a cougar is??? :D:D

Dirty old man :pac:

Tis been a while since I showed my ugly mug around these parts huh?! I’m going to have to check out this smackdown thread and get some really competition going!! In the interim there has been shopping, good training, bad training, racing, complaining and a laugh or two I suppose. Typical week in the life… So update:

I got new runners last Wednesday. Asics DS Trainers – not quite sure of the functionality but they’re bright and shiny and match my boards t-shirt so happy days! J

Wednesday 25th May
    - 2.25 miles – Av Pace 9:00
    Went out for a couple of miles while waiting for the oven to heat to have a shot of the new runners. They felt a little strange having been in the exact same make and model of the Saucony marathon clunker runners for the past year, but all good. So no complaints about the runners… The run itself was pretty bad though. I just couldn’t get into it. Must have had the remnants of Tuesday’s intervals in my legs and I just struggled. And then I started to think that I could never run faster and therefore never get a good times in shorter races and also that I’d never be able to run a marathon at that pace and literally what the hell was I doing – I am not a runner! So, as I said, I had a bit of an old struggle with all of that and it really got to me. Until about 30 minutes later when my steak dinner was ready and then I forgot all about it…haha.

Thursday 26th May
    - Rest

Friday 27th May
    - 5 miles – Av Pace 9.12
    A nice early pre-work run by the coast. Both good and bad and enjoyable and unpleasant all rolled into one! Strange…

Saturday 28th May
    DONORE 5K RACE – Chip Time 24:18
    This was an interesting one… It was bloody tough and I so very nearly lost it. I didn’t have a goal as such (though I was hoping for sub 25) but others did… Of sub 24! And that put ideas in my head. Not good. Was running it with Digger who was certain he could get me a sub 24. The plan was to start out a little quicker than average pace to have something banked for the hill at the end which was going to bring an inevitable slow down. Did the first mile in 7.11 and it felt alright – tough but alright. Started to feel bad about 3k in – could feel it in my legs, my breathing, my brain… Second mile clocked in at 7:17. And then I just lost it. I had started to slow down going down the Kyber which was not a good sign. Turned up into the wind on Military Hill and that was it – game over! I lost it, broke down, just wanted to stop. But I wasn’t allowed. I had to keep going, though I had slowed to an embarrassing pace. I was in bits when we passed the Slows and I just wanted the ground to swallow me up and to never run again. When we got to the top, I got a bit of momentum going again but the sub 24 was out the window at that stage. The last sprint stretch was flat and windy and I tried to regain a bit of self respect. Crossed the finish line in an absolute heap and nearly kicked the poor kid taking my chip in the face while Digdig had a big grin having basically just ran what was a recovery run for him!! I’m happy enough with the time – it’s a PB anyway. I’m planning on smashing it in Rathfarnham at the end of the summer now!! And getting through the horrendously low point is a positive taken out of a serious negative!!

Sunday 29th May
    - 8.65 miles – Av Pace 9.40
    Met up with mrtapersgonnagetyou, spagbol, vagga and digdig for what was supposed to be a ONE O CLOCK START for a 12 mile run. But someone changed the time and didn’t feel the need to communicate it the wider group. Did 4 miles with the guys and they were going just a little too fast for me (9.15) and my race legs and my messers headache and liver pain and the mild dehydration…plus it was very windy! So I let them off and decided to just turn it into an easy LSRecoveryTypeR myself. I also decided I had to go back to the scene of the disaster from the previous day. So up Military Hill into a wall of wind I went… Soooo ridiculously slowly but I just couldn’t let it beat me! The extra 4.65 miles on my own brought the average pace down to a shocking 9:40…oops! It was much needed though. And I couldn’t have expected the lads to endure that with me!

Monday 30th May
    - 4.24miles – Av Pace 9:42
    It was 6am. I’m not even quite sure I was awake. Just wanted to stretch the legs as I knew it’d be a long day in work!

Not sure how today is going to pan out but I doubt I’ll make the track in UCD this evening. I have my gear with me but I reckon I’ll end up in work late and might just attempt some sort of random session tonight – tempo or fartlek or something… I shall see how my day goes.

I haven’t got time to re-read my ramblings above so apologies for the boredom and any grammatical errors (although there bloody well not be any!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

First of all your time on Saturday was amazing, not sure why you're beating yourself up over it. Ignore the crazy person running on your right! :rolleyes:
    Your training is really solid now, you're doing great!

Saturday 28th May
    DONORE 5K RACE – Chip Time 24:18
    This was an interesting one… It was bloody tough and I so very nearly lost it. I didn’t have a goal as such (though I was hoping for sub 25) but others did… Of sub 24! And that put ideas in my head. Not good. Was running it with Digger who was certain he could get me a sub 24. The plan was to start out a little quicker than average pace to have something banked for the hill at the end which was going to bring an inevitable slow down. Did the first mile in 7.11 and it felt alright – tough but alright. Started to feel bad about 3k in – could feel it in my legs, my breathing, my brain… Second mile clocked in at 7:17. And then I just lost it. I had started to slow down going down the Kyber which was not a good sign. Turned up into the wind on Military Hill and that was it – game over! I lost it, broke down, just wanted to stop. But I wasn’t allowed. I had to keep going, though I had slowed to an embarrassing pace. I was in bits when we passed the Slows and I just wanted the ground to swallow me up and to never run again. When we got to the top, I got a bit of momentum going again but the sub 24 was out the window at that stage. The last sprint stretch was flat and windy and I tried to regain a bit of self respect. Crossed the finish line in an absolute heap and nearly kicked the poor kid taking my chip in the face while Digdig had a big grin having basically just ran what was a recovery run for him!! I’m happy enough with the time – it’s a PB anyway. I’m planning on smashing it in Rathfarnham at the end of the summer now!! And getting through the horrendously low point is a positive taken out of a serious negative!!

I'd have to questions Digger's pacing here (sorry digger). Sub 24 was a very realistic target, but doing the first two miles in 7.11 and 7.17 is way too fast (both are mile P.B's). Bear in mind that sub 24 only requires an average pace of 7.43/mile...I can understand the concept of banking some time maybe 10-15 seconds but it sounds like you had nothing left by the time you got to the hill...Sub 24 is definately there based on the first two miles. i'd reccommend running alone for your next 5k. I think a pacer is good for a longer race but for a 5k is an unwelcome distraction.

• Advertisement

I'd have to questions Digger's pacing here (sorry digger). Sub 24 was a very realistic target, but doing the first two miles in 7.11 and 7.17 is way too fast (both are mile P.B's). Bear in mind that sub 24 only requires an average pace of 7.43/mile...I can understand the concept of banking some time maybe 10-15 seconds but it sounds like you had nothing left by the time you got to the hill...Sub 24 is definately there based on the first two miles. i'd reccommend running alone for your next 5k. I think a pacer is good for a longer race but for a 5k is an unwelcome distraction.

Fair point. I wouldn’t have kept going at the low spot had he not been there. But I may not have hit the low spot in the first place had I done even splits. I was absolutely wrecked and then my usual panicky / doubting thought process kicked in. Trial and error I suppose. I will approach the next one differently!

Advertisement