Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

met none other than my number one stalker
    From reading a number of the posts around here over last while, Im sitting in work thinking what his boards username is :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

From reading a number of the posts around here over last while, Im sitting in work thinking what his boards username is :p

Spot on..I'm starting to worry about my health and safety around the mean streets of Dublin.. :rolleyes:

Saturday 30th April

Sunday 1st May
    - 4.29 miles – Av Pace 9.40
    A handy run to stretch the legs and blow away the cobwebs after the excesses of the match on Sunday. I must apologise for the no show in the park despite promising to turn up and be the water girl on wheels…It won’t happen again… I’ll assume I’m forgiven in the absence of any threats to the contrary.

Monday 2nd May
    - 11.28 miles – Av Pace 9.25
    Fantabulous morning for a run in the park, even with the few head-on breezy moments that had me eating flies! Longest run since Connemara, yaay! Wasn’t sure what I’d be able for setting off but planned to do my best to get to 11. Big difference to the last long run which was 10 sloooow 10 min miles during which I was completely wrecked by 7.5/8 miles. So it seems to have taken 3 full weeks for the legs to recover even though I’ve had a few enjoyable shorter runs in the interim. Not the worst!

First track/speed session of the new program in UCD tonight. It will be interesting…:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

claralara wrote: »

First track/speed session of the new program in UCD tonight. It will be interesting…:confused:

Seconded!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nice session on Monday. You're in flying form since Conn.
    Keep it going! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I believe there's bets on as to what car you will be arriving in. :D

Aimman wrote: »
    I believe there's bets on as to what car you will be arriving in. :D

I disappointed didn't I...Hope I didn't lose you too much money..:o

I headed over to UCD to meet the whip crackers for an interval session last night. The plan was 6X400m at 1:43 – 1:48, according to law unto Meno and McMillan. This is what we got:-

Time / Pace
    1. 1:39 / 6.36
    2. 1:42 / 6.28
    3. 1:47 / 7.03
    4. 1.44 / 6.58
    5. 1:46 / 6.54
    6. 1:39 / 6.27

With a 1.3 mile warm up @ 9.30 (ish) and a 1mile (ish) cool down.

Total: 4.05miles

This wasn't as horrendous as I was expecting thank god! Managed to keep fairly well on target. The only one I felt dodgy after was the last one but that passed. And a nauseous feeling means nothing unless there is projectile evidence so I’ll have to push harder the next time!

Baby duathlon tonight (2.7k run – 13k cycle – 2.7k run) – not particularly looking forward to it as I’ve been on my feet all day and I just haven’t done the training to come out with anything decent. But seeing as it’s paid for, I’ll just do it to set the bar for the next one. Ugh. Spot the unenthused face over here! :(

Ah you did grand yesterday... you will do a hell of a lot better than you think you are going to like... Sure you were aiming for 7 minute miles there last night and you were well under it for most of those laps....

Good luk tonight! Watch the shaky leg syndrome after the cycle :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I disappointed didn't I...Hope I didn't lose you too much money..:o

No, didnt lose any money. Then again, I wasn't drunk and encouraged by Meno to take a 'no get out clause' bet like some people I know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So you've only got 3 cars and a bike. Did ya sell the chopper?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Time / Pace
    1. 1:39 / 6.36
    2. 1:42 / 6.28
    3. 1:47 / 7.03
    4. 1.44 / 6.58
    5. 1:46 / 6.54
    6. 1:39 / 6.27

Not bad, not bad at all!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mrslow wrote: »
    Not bad, not bad at all!;)

Yes it's amazing how she can throw up the tables ;)

No seriously, great running last night. You have proved you have the speed to run a sub 50 10k. Best of luck in tonights duathlon. let us know how you get on. Remember- recover day tomorrow. No more hard runs till friday at least.

Best of luck tonight! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Best of luck tonight! :)

Last night! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great running on the intervals and LSR - you are in flying form at the moment.

Need report on duathlon please :D

Ok last night was not so hot!! I knew I wasn’t prepared and the lack of training was ridiculously evident! I also started with a bad attitude – not looking forward to it / hoping I’d be late… :o

First run (2.7k) was at 8.01 pace which felt good. I just went for it because the distance was so short. But as soon as I got onto the bike, it was game over – I hated every second of it. I was wrecked and undertrained; it was windy; everyone I had passed on the run went flying by me, and it was just painfully demoralizing! The cycle course (13k) is 3 loops starting at the Papal Cross, down the Kyber, up Military Road, down through the S-Bends, up St Mary’s hill and across the Acres road back to the start. After 2 loops I knew I just couldn’t do another so I got off and did the second run at 8.29 pace. The legs only took a hundred metres or so to lose the jelly feeling but I was just sapped by then. So I have to confess to totally cheating but I certainly didn’t rob anyone of a medal! It took me quite a few minutes to come around when I finished too. I was weak and light headed and didn’t know whether to laugh or cry! I probably didn’t deserve the half bottle of red wine with dinner but I certainly enjoyed it!!

Completely and utterly my own fault for not training compared to what I did for the same race last year. Oh well, live and learn…

Tuesday’s track session probably didn’t help either. And I had fierce cramps in my toes for a while. Very strange!

You cheated? :eek:

Claralara, I'm shocked.:(

You cheated? :eek:

Claralara, I'm shocked.:(

I know…I am a terrible human bean! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Right you haven't really sold me on doing one with you :D

Well done for taking part...

• Advertisement

Ah look those kind of days just happen to everyone..... When I did my half marathon I went out like a bat out of hell and did a really good 10 miles and then after that my legs died and I slowed right down and had a rake of ppl who I had flown by early on pass me back out.

Worse still it happened on a far bigger scale in the DCM last year. You finished it and that's all that counts..... U learned a lesson and ur training seems to be going alright!

Well done either way!

I know…I am a terrible human bean! :o

I watched you dig deep and keep going several times in training for Connemara, what happened?

I watched you dig deep and keep going several times in training for Connemara, what happened?

I know… I don’t know what happened. :( I just couldn’t keep going… I really thought I was going to pass out on the bike. Failure!!

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Ah look those kind of days just happen to everyone..... When I did my half marathon I went out like a bat out of hell and did a really good 10 miles and then after that my legs died and I slowed right down and had a rake of ppl who I had flown by early on pass me back out.

You completed the full course though.
    Perkina3 wrote: »
    You finished it and that's all that counts

Less a loop, I'm just shocked.

Your First run was close to two miles at your goal 10k pace so take the positives out of it :D

Don't beat yourself up about last night. You participated and that's all that matters.
    If you had done the final lap on the bike you may have injured yourself. Always look on the bright side.
    Learning curve and all that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

1. You didn't faint
    2. You didn't cry
    3. You had a busy week with increased mileage after Conn and a track session
    4. You were only on your bike once in 9 months

Chill out, prepare better on the bike for the next one and enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Book yourself in for the next dualathon and train right for it to erase the memory. At least you were honest and admitted it that you cheated which is a fine upstanding thing.

By the way, got an email with the results/photos of the event as i did the July one last year and on their mailing list. Your photo is one of the ones that appear on the mail and you are smiling while running so it wasn't all bad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Learn from it and move on, there really is no point in dwelling on it...

And take comfort from all the folks here who have your back and are offering help and support, everyone knowing that last night was freak occurance, not based on blind faith, but based on having seen the great job you did down in Conn and in other similar situations :cool:

• Advertisement

By the way I checked the race results and if the stats are correct, you ran the first Run at 7:48/mile pace.
    If you found the bike tough it's only beacuse you haven't been training on it (no a leisurely 16 miles while the lads are running doesn't count ;)).

Maybe plan on substituting a few of your easy/recovery runs with a bike session until the next duathlon?

Advertisement