Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

mrslow wrote: »
    Ah poor Digger, don't you realise we are all part of Claralara's secret life where she runs and enjoys the company of people who don't have butlers, she couldn't possibly acknowledge you for fear of being lambasted by her peers - 'Oh my God, do you loike know someone who drives their own car?', 'Of course not, he's probably the gardener or some other loike slave we own, I'll make sure Torquine has him whipped for his insolence' :D

I'm glad we're finally on the same page ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ah poor Digger, don't you realise we are all part of Claralara's secret life where she runs and enjoys the company of people who don't have butlers, she couldn't possibly acknowledge you for fear of being lambasted by her peers - 'Oh my God, do you loike know someone who drives their own car?', 'Of course not, he's probably the gardener or some other loike slave we own, I'll make sure Torquine has him whipped for his insolence' :D

+1 ........ Could you imagine if at Sunday brunch, Hugo, Arabella and Rupert found out that she knew someone who had to drive oneself.......:rolleyes:

claralara wrote: »
    Jaysus, you can't do anything around here! You wouldn't want to be having any illicit secret affairs anyway!

But yes that was me, I stupidly agreed to meet an old acquaintance who struggles with intelligent conversation to say the least! I couldn't even have a glass of wine to get me through it. The food was good though! :)

Was it Giles, Verity, Maximillian or Venetia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

digger2d2 wrote: »

Surely the last one would be a girl's name? I suggest Kelvin in her place. I'm sure we'll get the full story over 10 miles tomorrow morning. Such things like how the servants have revolted and looked for holidays in future:D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Surely the last one would be a girl's name? I suggest Kelvin in her place. I'm sure we'll get the full story over 10 miles tomorrow morning. Such things like how the servants have revolted and looked for holidays in future:D

Two of them are girls names....She didn't actually tell us whether the poor lunch partner was male or female!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

10 miles doesn't even count as a run to one, therefore one shan't be bothered with such trivialities as recounting one's time spent with the help in an aerobic capacity. When one says aerobic one is of course not referring to horizontal refreshment but to a light canter about the park. That is all.

10 miles doesn't even count as a run to one, therefore one shan't be bothered with such trivialities as recounting one's time spent with the help in an aerobic capacity. When one says aerobic one is of course not referring to horizontal refreshment but to a light canter about the park. That is all.

And finally the help understand that logging the lady's runs is part of the job description! Only took 14 weeks!

Sunday 3rd April
    - 10.47 miles – Av Pace 9.32
    Met up with my merry men and the gardener for a lovely run in the park! Apart from the children with dogs on leads and rowing instructors on bicycles it was a safe enough run. That’s it now… no more can I do. This time next week it’ll all be over..:eek:

Right so, I’m off to pay my €15 to erase my existence and the tales of the last 14 weeks…:rolleyes: Twas nice knowing y'all! ;)

Right so, I’m off to pay my €15 to erase my existence and the tales of the last 14 weeks…:rolleyes: Twas nice knowing y'all! ;)

Take care out there, it's a big bad world.:D

Ah well, thats the young folk for ya. Up and leaving us after we giving them all our knowledge and advice in 14 weeks.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Try to relax now - you've done all the hard work. The only words of advice I have for next weekend are ENJOY it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Very nice to meet you and your apostles at the weekend. Nearly time to start thinking about training for DCM now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Just caught up on your taper madness there...fun reading :D. Hope all goes well for you this week...tick,tock,tick,tock!!

Monday 4th April
    - 3.55miles - Av Pace 8.46
    A lovely run this evening; was looking forward to it all day. Bit breezy which made me start worrying about the weather in Conn. But then I stopped because as much I think I'm wonderful and important, I do realise that I can't control the weather!! :D

Right I'm going insane! I just want to go and do this tomorrow. I'm full of beans and very near getting slaps from those in close proximity to me! I think they preferred me as the post LSR wreck that I've been for the last few weeks... T minus 5 days! :eek:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

T minus 5 days! :eek:
    Heh heh heh. The madness is only beginning. :D

For the sake of completeness....

:)WEEK 14 / 14
    Monday 3miles
    Tuesday 3miles
    Wednesday 2.5miles
    Thursday 2miles
    Friday Rest
    Saturday 2miles / stretch
    Sunday D DAY TWENTY SIX PT TWO MILES Easy...:rolleyes:

I'm full of beans and very near getting slaps from those in close proximity to me!

Right so, any thoughts I had of supporting you in Conn have gone out the window, which is what you should open lots of!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck this weekend. Take it handy and don't forget to enjoy the scenery :D

I'm sure we've all been mental on the last few days before the first marathon but nothing can prepare you for it. There's nothing like the inside of your own head to drive yourself crazy.

Try and relaxed, keep the feet up and drink plenty water/OJ.

Second time around its fairly ok if thats any help.

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'm sure we've all been mental on the last few days before the first marathon but nothing can prepare you for it. There's nothing like the inside of your own head to drive yourself crazy.

Try and relaxed, keep the feet up and drink plenty water/OJ.

Second time around its fairly ok if thats any help.

And that's on a good day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Tick tock, Clarisse.

It's all about the experience - there's lots of weekends where we all do damn all, and wonder on Monday what that was all about. This next weekend, we DO SOMETHING and it gives us something to remember.

Nobody lies on their death bed and thinks back on the weeks of doing nothing; it's weeks like that make memories. We'll be smiling about taper madness (yours, anyway!) well into the future.

This is living. Squeeze it till the pips squeak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Bored in work today so I just wrote this up as promised. This is as valid for me as it is for you and good to reinfoce it to myslef:

Lead up:
    Don’t get too worried about all this talk of carbo-loading. Eat what you normally eat this week. On Friday and Saturday just eat a little more rice, bread, potato, pasta (whatever carbs you normally take). Don’t eat anything you are not used to as it may upset your stomach. On Saturday drink plenty of water as this helps your body to store you’re the carbs as glycogen. Don’t worry about this too much though as you’ll already be well carbo-loaded since your training has been light all week so your glycogen is not depleted. All you are doing is topping this up. I like to have a short little jog the morning of the day before the race. Maybe do this on Saturday before heading off?

Sleep well on Friday night and the days before, this is more important than the night before the race. Saturday night you’ll be in a new bed and full of prerace nerves, so you might not sleep so well. Don’t worry you’ll be well rested from the previous nights. If you think a beer or a glass of wine will help you sleep or relax on Saturday evening, no harm in taking it. Everything in moderation is good.

Race morning.
    Just have your normal pre-run breakfast. You already know what works best for you. I personally don’t drink anything 2 or 3 hours before the race to avoid having to stop for a loo break while running. You should already be totally hydrated after Saturday anyway.

The race.
    Drink at every water-station and take gels from the at regular intervals from the start (I generally take a gel every second station at first and at every station near the end as needed). Once you are moving your body immediately will use up any liquid and energy you take on board (The only liquid in the bladder will be from what you take on prerace). Don’t wait until you are thirsty or out of energy before taking on water/gels. By the time you feel the need for them it will be too late!!

Most importantly: Watch your pace! At the start it is so easy to go off fast and it will feel easy to do so. Marathon is a long race though and you’ll pay for this later. If you feel out of breath, slow down! Use your garmin!! You ideally hope to travel at 9:30 pace all the way round? If you see a mile under 9 min pace, don’t keep going at that pace, you might have to force yourself to slow but it’ll be worth it in the long run. If you are still feeling good in the flat/ downhill parts on the second half of the course, then you can push on a bit, but do not do this on the first half.
    Don’t worry about the hills: Run slower up them. Go by effort rather than pace. If you feel wrecked going up, slow down and walk if necessary. Remember what I told you: if you’re feeling bad in a run, it’s probably that you’re just going uphill. It’ll be better when you get to the top! What goes up must come down so you’ll pick up time on the way back down, but if you wreck yourself going up you’ll have no energy to do so!!

Finally: enjoy it. Don’t get too caught up in going fast. You need to run at an easy and conversational pace. Look around you, enjoy the scenery and atmosphere, talk to people and enjoy the craic. It is just a glorified long training run! Leave some energy for the party that night :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

menoscemo wrote: »
    if you’re feeling bad in a run, it’s probably that you’re just going uphill. It’ll be better when you get to the top! What goes up must come down so you’ll pick up time on the way back down, but if you wreck yourself going up you’ll have no energy to do so!!

Lots of Great info there Meno, Particularly agree for the above in Connemara. Some of the roads are long and having the big mountains around you can be a little deceptive in telling if its a bit of an incline or flat.

+1 on Meno's post.

Take it easy and whatever else you do - enjoy it, you've put in the work, now reap the rewards.

Bored in work today so I just wrote this up as promised. This is as valid for me as it is for you and good to reinfoce it to myslef:

Lead up:
    Don’t get too worried about all this talk of carbo-loading. Eat what you normally eat this week. On Friday and Saturday just eat a little more rice, bread, potato, pasta (whatever carbs you normally take). Don’t eat anything you are not used to as it may upset your stomach. On Saturday drink plenty of water as this helps your body to store you’re the carbs as glycogen. Don’t worry about this too much though as you’ll already be well carbo-loaded since your training has been light all week so your glycogen is not depleted. All you are doing is topping this up. I like to have a short little jog the morning of the day before the race. Maybe do this on Saturday before heading off?

Sleep well on Friday night and the days before, this is more important than the night before the race. Saturday night you’ll be in a new bed and full of prerace nerves, so you might not sleep so well. Don’t worry you’ll be well rested from the previous nights. If you think a beer or a glass of wine will help you sleep or relax on Saturday evening, no harm in taking it. Everything in moderation is good.

Race morning.
    Just have your normal pre-run breakfast. You already know what works best for you. I personally don’t drink anything 2 or 3 hours before the race to avoid having to stop for a loo break while running. You should already be totally hydrated after Saturday anyway.

The race.
    Drink at every water-station and take gels from the at regular intervals from the start (I generally take a gel every second station at first and at every station near the end as needed). Once you are moving your body immediately will use up any liquid and energy you take on board (The only liquid in the bladder will be from what you take on prerace). Don’t wait until you are thirsty or out of energy before taking on water/gels. By the time you feel the need for them it will be too late!!

Most importantly: Watch your pace! At the start it is so easy to go off fast and it will feel easy to do so. Marathon is a long race though and you’ll pay for this later. If you feel out of breath, slow down! Use your garmin!! You ideally hope to travel at 9:30 pace all the way round? If you see a mile under 9 min pace, don’t keep going at that pace, you might have to force yourself to slow but it’ll be worth it in the long run. If you are still feeling good in the flat/ downhill parts on the second half of the course, then you can push on a bit, but do not do this on the first half.
    Don’t worry about the hills: Run slower up them. Go by effort rather than pace. If you feel wrecked going up, slow down and walk if necessary. Remember what I told you: if you’re feeling bad in a run, it’s probably that you’re just going uphill. It’ll be better when you get to the top! What goes up must come down so you’ll pick up time on the way back down, but if you wreck yourself going up you’ll have no energy to do so!!

Finally: enjoy it. Don’t get too caught up in going fast. You need to run at an easy and conversational pace. Look around you, enjoy the scenery and atmosphere, talk to people and enjoy the craic. It is just a glorified long training run! Leave some energy for the party that night :p

Cheers dude! Much appreciated!! :)

Tuesday 5th April
    - 3.2miles – Av. Pace 9.03
    Nice and handy tonight. Nothing exciting to report. Stomach felt a bit bleugh for the last few hundred metres...must have been the dodgy lunch I had...:rolleyes:

Got my bag all packed and ready to go. My gifted t-shirt is interesting...I’m hoping it’ll provide a bit of much needed support en route...:D

My gifted t-shirt is interesting...I’m hoping it’ll provide a bit of much needed support en route...:D[/FONT]

Does it mention diggers Banana?

I should be in bed shouldn't I?! I can't sleep..:confused:

I should be in bed shouldn't I?! I can't sleep..:confused:

Me neither. 3 glasses of wine and I have to run into work at 7:30am :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Does it mention diggers Banana?

No, I'm gonna go with a 'carrot on a stick' type look for that one!

Advertisement