Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    No, I'm gonna go with a 'carrot on a stick' type look for that one!

Yeah I think the opportunity has passed anyway, I think I spotted him on RTE today. He may have been giving it away to Julien ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Brother, you forgot two things in your excellent advice to the boss.

1. The first pint after you complete your first marathon is a pure beautiful experience that must be given a solemn moment; and

2. The satisfaction of crossing the line lasts forever and is yours and yours alone, the pain lasts until you get to point 1 above.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

claralara good luck in Connamara all the hard work will pay off! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

It's all so exciting really (nervousness aside). You've got me all excited about Cork now. Hope Cork is half as brilliant as Dublin was for me.

You'll have a blast. Relax and enjoy every moment, all the hard work is done! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

In bed, I can't sleep..:confused:

Shhhh, stop typing, you're keeping me awake;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Wednesday 6th April
    - Yesterday was a bit of a glass half empty / step out of bed and onto a drawing pin day so for my safety and sanity I ended up giving the planned 2.5miles a miss. I had some important calories to consume and reserves to load up too so that took precedence…:)

Thursday 7th April
    - 2.43 miles – Av Pace 9.43
    A very handy trot around the block this morning. Tummy was a bit off again but I did eat a lot of rubbish yesterday and the nerves are shot too so I shan’t worry! Back to bread and butter and plain chicken for the rest of the week I suppose!
    I liked this pace. I think I could run for quite a while at it. I’ve decided to be conservative on Sunday. I want to enjoy myself and most importantly I want to finish so I’m not thinking about time. There’ll be plenty of time to worry about that over the next few months for Dublin. Now, what if my Garmin dies before I finish?!
    I got the bus to work yesterday and I’m not going near another one until after Sunday. There were strangers breathing and coughing and sneezing and just existing generally and it upset me greatly! :mad: I also decided that the sign “Please give up this seat should an elderly or disabled person require it” should be amended to read “Please give up this seat should an elderly or disabled person or a crazy pre-race marathon runner require it”…so at least I got a seat…:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Print off one of these and put a digital watch on your other wrist, that'll keep you on pace.

mrslow wrote: »
    Print off one of these and put a digital watch on your other wrist, that'll keep you on pace.

Will I print off 14 of them - one for every minute between 4.15 and 4.29...

Will I print off 14 of them - one for every minute between 4.15 and 4.29...

It's just a guide smarta5s:P

I prefer these pace bands. They seem much neater. Cover them with plastic sheeting or clear sellotape to make them water/sweat resistant.

I have alreay printed off mine for 39.3 miles (6hours) as my garmin will likely go dead at 30 miles. Yes I'll be wearing two watches.

Glad to see your OCD is showing. At this stage OCD is your friend. What is your middle name again? ;)

• Advertisement

It's just a guide smarta5s:P

I'm being serious... I reckon I could fit 7 on each arm... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Oh yeah those bands are brilliant. I used one at DCM.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Oh yeah those bands are brilliant. I used one at DCM.

Ended up ripping mine off after 20 miles at DCM last year when I realised that 4:15 was gone :(

Used the one from the expo in Barcelona though - marked for every 5k and 5 miles, twas handy.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I At this stage OCD is your friend. What is your middle name again? ;)

Crazy!!

Ok so seriously, what time should I be printing...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4:15 and 4:30, most likely. "Don't go faster than this" and "Don't go slower than this" :pac:

Crazy!!

Ok so seriously, what time should I be printing...

4:15:21 ;)

Seriously though, just take your comfortable pace and multiply x 26.2, 9:30 pace would give you a 4:09 race but it's normal to slow down towards the end so going too fast at that stage shouldn't be an issue.

4:15 and 4:30, most likely. "Don't go faster than this" and "Don't go slower than this" :pac:

Ok, will do. That sounds good and sensible!!

I’m very excited now…But there’s still that little big ‘but what if it all goes wrong’ worry that keeps raring it’s ugly head…Demons out!!

Yep, I would print both of these if I were you. Dream time and Back up time.

I’m very excited now…But there’s still that little big ‘but what if it all goes wrong’ worry that keeps raring it’s ugly head…Demons out!!

That fear is what will fill you with adrenaline on the day and get you to the end!

The worst that can happen is that you have to walk a bit. Seriously, that's not so bad, you'll still be delirah when you cross the finish line.

• Advertisement

Now, on a completely unrelated note, can anyone recommend a nice hotel in Krakow?! Back to priorities… :D

The worst that can happen is that you have to walk a bit. Seriously, that's not so bad, you'll still be delirah when you cross the finish line.

I walked a few times for DCM, it makes no difference as Meno says, anyone who asked me 'Did you walk any of it?' got this response 'Have you ever covered 26.2 miles on foot in 4:15???

Now, on a completely unrelated note, can anyone recommend a nice hotel in Krakow?! Back to priorities… :D

Does it have to be a Hotel or would a hostel be sufficient for Madam?

I know a few nice late night bars :pac:

Does it have to be a Hotel or would a hostel be sufficient for Madam?

I know a few nice late night bars :pac:

A hotel would be preferable – I can’t imagine mumsie and pops being up for a few cans in a party hostel…

A hotel would be preferable – I can’t imagine mumsie and pops being up for a few cans in a party hostel…

Do you not have staff to look after your travel arrangements?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

but it's normal to slow down towards the end so going too fast at that stage shouldn't be an issue.
    Noooo!!!! It's normal to speed-up towards the end of a race. Think positive (negative split!).
    Best of luck claralara. You'll have a ball. Just remember: when you hit the small hill towards the end of the race, every step takes you one step closer to the finish line.

Noooo!!!! It's normal to speed-up towards the end of a race. Think positive (negative split!).
    Best of luck claralara. You'll have a ball. Just remember: when you hit the small hill towards the end of the race, every step takes you one step closer to the finish line.

I was attempting to keep the pressure off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Just catching up on your log missus. You're flying, best of luck on Sunday - hope 4:15 is in the bag for you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I'm with KC in principle (go faster in the second half), but on this course I think you need to be going very slowly in the first half to go faster on the second. I'd be thinking of running your "flat marathon" pace for the 23-or-so flatter miles, and then realistically going a bit slower on the climbs. That does lead to a positive split (that's the one, I think, when part 2 is slower than part 1).

That said, aiming run slower in the second half is not something I'd recommend - I'd be aiming (in fact, I WILL be aiming :) to run about the same pace on the second half, apart from slowing down (as little as possible) on the hills.

Once at the top of the final hill, there's the bones of 2 miles left IIRC - there's no reason not to give it all you've got at this stage, though the transition from downhill to flat for the last mile is a bit odd.

I'd certainly do my pace bands for 4:15 if you think there's any realistic chance of it (and why not!). Better to go a few minutes over 4:15 than a couple of minutes faster than 4:30.

• Advertisement

brownian wrote: »
    That said, aiming run slower in the second half is not something I'd recommend

I didn't suggest she 'aim' to run slower, I said 'it's normal to slow down towards the end' given it's her first marathon and as you pointed out - hilly.

Advertisement