Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

littlebug wrote: »
    Stargate:), started watching Season 2 (as Season1 is over 18s and the kids were milling about ), dvd player on the pc let me down after 1 episode :( I'd forgotten how much I loved it, never missed an episode back in the day :). I never got into the newer Stargate, just wasn't the same without Teal'c, McGyver and Carter though my personal favourite was Daniel Jackson (I always had a soft spot for the nerd;))

Gosh - I used to love Stargate... haven't thought about that one in a LONG time! And yea, it has to be the original team or nothing for me too :D

Well done on that treadmill 13 miles. I really do not understand how you can stay on it for that long. 5 miles for me and I'm done. You must have fierce strong will-power ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Emer911 wrote: »
    I really do not understand how you can stay on it for that long. 5 miles for me and I'm done. You must have fierce strong will-power ;)

with hindsight i'm not entirely sure how I did it myself :o but at the time it actually wasn't that bad!

This morning... 3 miles easy, no watch. I'm starting to think about marathon pace, though I said I wouldn't :rolleyes: Thinking back to DCM 10 I was probably foolish to consider sub 4.30 and by halfway, even before injury kicked in, I knew that wasn't going to happen. But until the ITB went I was probably ok for 4 hrs 40ish, definitely if I hadn't been pushing for 4.30 at the start.
    A 4 hr 40 marathon is 10.40 pace. My long runs were al done at 10.50 ish which probably explains why I was so knackered all the time and never felt the benefit of the taper.

So this time, long runs are being done slightly slower so far (i.e. I'm not actively "trying" to keep it under 11 min miles) and I think could possibily aim for 10.40 pace in the marathon, and add 5-10 mins for the hills at 13 and 22 which would have me finished in 4.45- 4.50 ish? It would be nice to do better than last time.
    Sensible numbers for me? It's going to be a lonesome journey at that end of the race in Connemara but hey I'm used to running by myself anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I'm starting to think about marathon pace, though I said I wouldn't :rolleyes: Thinking back to DCM 10 I was probably foolish to consider sub 4:30 and by halfway, even before injury kicked in, I knew that wasn't going to happen. But until the ITB went I was probably ok for 4 hrs 40ish, definitely if I hadn't been pushing for 4:30 at the start.
    A 4 hr 40 marathon is 10:40 pace. My long runs were all done at 10:50ish which probably explains why I was so knackered all the time and never felt the benefit of the taper.

So this time, long runs are being done slightly slower so far (i.e. I'm not actively "trying" to keep it under 11 min miles) and I think could possibly aim for 10:40 pace in the marathon, and add 5-10 mins for the hills at 13 and 22 which would have me finished in 4.45- 4.50 ish? It would be nice to do better than last time.
    Sensible numbers for me?

I’m a bit of a broken record on this topic. You seem to be trying to train at a pace based on a target time rather than current ability.

I set great store by McMillan and according to him the LSR pace for a 4:50 marathon is in the range 11:35 to 12:35 min/mile (7:12 to 7:49 min/km)

Before you hang your hat on a marathon finish time find a race and use it to get a good indication of exactly where your fitness/stamina is at right now, and base your training on this. It may not be the time you want but it will be realistic and you then can decide whether you want to put in the time/miles to achieve that. Alternatively you may use this marathon cycle to (a) increase your fitness (b) increase your weekly mileage (c) prepare you for a realistic attempt later in the year (d) get so far ahead of MCS in the 1,000 mile challenge that he loses heart and gives up on the chase.

All this may of course be a load of ****. If your heart is set on running Connemara then by all means do so. However do not do so at the cost of missing out on training/racing for the rest of the year through injury.

I’ll get my coat.

:D

what are you trying to tell me MCS :cool:

I think you've picked me up a bit wrong. I know i don't have a recent race I can judge anything by and it's difficult to get to races at the minute (thus one big target race rather than lots of small ones). My last race of note was 10 miler last summer at 1.38. I have had time out since then but I think I'm there or thereabouts (though it's hard to judge I know).

My feeling at the minute is that I could go a long way at 10.40 pace :D which would equate to 4.40 marathon. But, it's Connemara, even the front end guys add 5 mins to their "normal marathon" times. Thus training is in line with equivalent of 4.40 pace but with acceptance that I will more than likely be walking some or all of HOTW... that's where I add the 10 mins, not spread over the whole thing.

long runs for 4.40 marathon according to McMillan are 11.12 - 12.12. My 13 mile treadmill run (which I found easy) was at 10.56 according to this eqivalent to 11.20 something on road. The previous weeks 12 miler (road) was at average 11.06 (I think) but I'd speeded up for the last 3 just because I felt I could. That more than likely won't be happening with the remaining long runs, simply because they're longer and legs will be more tired at the end. So at the minute I think I'm within recommended pace without overdoing it.

There are a lot of ifs and buts in there but at the end of the day I'm running to stay healthy and because I enjoy it and like to have a big target for motivation sake. If it ends up taking 7 hours it won't be the end of the world either :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Busy week and haven't kept this up to date this week.

Wednesday- 6 miles on treadmill (6 x10)
    Thursday- 3 miles easy (road)

Saturday. Planned to get up early to get 13 done and dusted. Woke at 7.30am, felt like crAp, listened to the wind outside for a minute, rolled over and went back to sleep til 9 :o OH was working most of the day so that was my opportunity gone .... oops.
    After lunch took the kids for a walk on the short trail around Clare lake and it all went a bit Alice in Wonderland... (see pics below :D)
    BA244C28DCEF4684AA057B947E7E01B8-0000331913-0002712465-00500L-5F46B51E65114CD993E1D300347E6B65.jpg

D7C022621E324C81BA662352E0AE02BE-0000331913-0002712461-00500L-B3FBAFD4346A42F89100EFD135724645.jpg
    but thankfully we returned to normal size later :)

evening dawned and realisation dawned on me that OH was going to be away tomorrow and I'd have to get 13 miles in today somehow. It was dark already and my choice was either 13 times up and down through the village or 13 on the treadmill :eek:

13 miles.... at 10.56 mins on the tm while I watched an old Stargate episode, a doc with the history of the world in a nutshell, the story of electricity and half a Law and Order. Easy peasy :D sweated buckets but I never once felt out of breath after the first mile. I suppose that's what long runs are supposed to be like. I also probably should have pushed it a bit at the end but I was kinda floating along. Lungs and heart were grand but legs did get tired at the end and my ankles are complaining a bit now, as was the TM at the end... what with the smell of burning rubber :eek:

Love this!!

Great to see your training going so well recently. :)

• Advertisement

:D

what are you trying to tell me MCS :cool:

There are a lot of ifs and buts in there but at the end of the day I'm running to stay healthy and because I enjoy it and like to have a big target for motivation sake. If it ends up taking 7 hours it won't be the end of the world either :o

I guess what I’m trying to do is just put the questions out there. Only you will have the answers. And rightly so.

Your training is going great.

7 miles, kinda sorta tempo-ish if you can call it that at my so called speed.

11.10/ 10.46/ 10.50/ 9.58/ 9.37/ 10.12/ 10.30

Mutt behaved reasonably well though there were a few pit stops, thus average (moving) pace was 10.15. Very enjoyable run :)

7 miles, kinda sorta tempo-ish if you can call it that at my so called speed.

11.10/ 10.46/ 10.50/ 9.58/ 9.37/ 10.12/ 10.30

Mutt behaved reasonably well though there were a few pit stops, thus average (moving) pace was 10.15. Very enjoyable run :)

nice progression in pace there.:cool:

4.3 really really easy slow miles this morning. supposed to be 4 but added in an even slower .3 at the end just to round the overall numbers up (83).
    occasional left knee niggle and right calf a bit tight at the end but nothing to cause much concern (I hope).

Fall back week 10 miles.
    I had great plans of getting out the door by 8.15 am :rolleyes: At 7.am I was lying in bed listening to the rain belting down and knew that wasn't going to happen and my originally planned route would need a re-think due to flooding. Walked the dog a couple of miles first so I could run by myself as she aint good on the busier roads that I was restricted to for the run.

Eventually got out the door for the run at nearly half ten. Started faster than usual without mutt slowing me down but I also found it harder than usual:( Coming up to 2 miles I wondered if I was going to be able for 10 at all... wondered if limited sleep over the last 2 nights was taking a toll (no reason, just one of my bad sleep phases). Somewhere in the 3rd mile something clicked in and it all started to feel right again :) and I found myself easily picking up the pace a bit, the first two miles having been 10.49/ 10.53.

Easily maintained a slightly faster pace right up to mile 7 (10.43/ 10.32/ 10.36/ 10.30/ 10.27). Stopped at 7, took a gel and thought about what to do with the last 3 and just decided to keep doing what I was doing as it felt good :p
    The last 3 were faster again (10.20/ 10.30/ 10.25)and I only really felt it getting difficult for the last one.
    Overall 10 miles at average 10.35 pace which after a tricky start I really enjoyed. So that's 10 miles at < pmp :o (MCS restrain yourself!)

In the absence of a race I think it was no harm to do this as to give me an idea of where I'm at... and I think I'm doing ok. :)

• Advertisement

3 miles recovery this morning. Right shin feeling a little bit splinty which usually heralds the need for new runners. I got some in the elverys "buy one get another one half price" sale just after Christmas so maybe time to start breaking them in. Must look back through this log to see what mileage I've got on the now old runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Training going great there at the moment littlebug. Well done.

So that's 10 miles at < pmp :o (MCS restrain yourself!)

MCS = suitably restrained :D

Nice run. Well done.

I've brought everything forward this week for a couple of reasons. First I wanted to pass 100 miles for January :D Second next weekends long run is on saturday rather than my usual Sunday. The plan for Saturday is 15 miles in and around Galway = a long way on lot of concrete so I want to be well rested beforehand. Given that shins were a bit sore yesterday I decided to go easy on the joints today and stick to the treadmill.

7 miles 11/ 10 x 5/ 10.30
    Total miles Jan - 103:)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Go girl- 100 miles in January! Well done.

4 miles around the village in the dark. Cold :) Garmin went in first half mile so no idea of time but took it easy enough for most of it.

Felt a bit niggly yesterday, ignored the fact that it was a new niggle which remains today. Diagnosis by google suggests plantar fasciitis type niggle.
    Doesn't seem to be the worst diagnosis ever or one that would necessarily immediately stop play but just "keeping running a bit" is very different to " increasing distances to15, 16, 18,20" over the next weeks :( I'm following all the recommendations and constantly icing,stretching,rolling,golf balling etc. Saturdays run will be the decider I think. Not the end of the world to drop back to the half in Connemara at this stage...if it comes to it. That was always a fairly highly likely planB anyway.I'm desperately trying to be :) not :( .

Fingers (toes?) crossed for your run on Saturday. [thumbs up]

I'll ice, stretch and roll too if it helps you any- hopefully the niggle will disappear.

After a couple of days of mulling it over my decision was made as soon as I woke up this morning and my right calf-to- toes still not right. It's more like a chronic tightness rather than injury so while I feel I can still run on it I think to increase the mileage up to marathon distance would just be madness just now. Thoughts of hot2trots injury and long recovery preyed on my mind. A chat with a neighbour who is a sports therapist (and currently gaelforce training) and further chat with husband reinforced my decision. Neighbour recommended some further stretches that might help. Should everything be in good working order on finishing (the Half) in Connemara I'll be nicely placed to slot into training for (maybe) Portumna... if not then DCM 12 and if that doesn't happen I'll just give up on it:p
    So with that, and dropping back to half marathon in Connemara in mind I checked out HalHigdons HM plan which puts me at week 4 so a 7 mile run today. With the others busy in Galway I headed into the pitches at Dangan and just stayed there :D Injury prevention in mind I decided to stick to the softer surface so from the carpark down to the pitches, 4 laps, down the trail to distillary road, back up again, 3 more laps of the pitches and back to the car park, all in the driving rain 7 soggy, squelchy and mucky but ultimately enjoyable miles :)
    10.40/ 10.18/ 10.08/ 9.48/9.50/ 10.18/ 10.40
    calf/ foot issues didn't impact on the run much, if at all, but still feeling very stiff. I'll try to organise a sports massage this week to try to loosen it all up a bit.
    so at the minute the plan is Connemara Half marathon, maybe taking the Craughwell 10 in along the way, although there's only two weeks between the two so not sure yet.
    Relieved to have made a decision to be honest and I have no doubts that it's the right one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Good decision littlebug

+1

How old are your runners?

How old are your runners?

In terms of time I got them last summer. In terms of miles I reckon I have about 350 running miles on them but I also walk at least 3 miles a day and can be anything between 3-6. I could conservatively say I was wearing those runners for maybe 1/3 of those walking miles. I wore the new runners yesterday and definitely felt more support so maybe the runners were the cause.
    Or maybe I'm just not built to go the distance :o Last time I got to 11 miles before it all started falling apart, this time 13. I think a sensible approach would be to get my legs used to running 7-11 miles on a regular-ish basis, do a HM and then cautiously see if I can go beyond that.
    Plantar pain has gone so all the golf ball and frozen water bottle rolling has worked. Lower calf still really tight, not the achilles thankfully but just above it. I think that's possibly a foam roller job. I'll inflict more pain on myself today and see how it goes.

I wore the new runners yesterday and definitely felt more support so maybe the runners were the cause.

+1. Time will tell. :)
    Or maybe I'm just not built to go the distance :o Last time I got to 11 miles before it all started falling apart, this time 13. I think a sensible approach would be to get my legs used to running 7-11 miles on a regular-ish basis, do a HM and then cautiously see if I can go beyond that.

You’ve done the distances before so I’m sure you are well able for them. It may be more about keeping up a certain minimum amount of mileage on a consistent basis that allows you to ramp up to the distances required during marathon training. That minimum mileage will differ from runner to runner so you just need to find out what the magic number is for you. A decent training diary helps with this. Life is an experiment of one!!
    Plantar pain has gone so all the golf ball and frozen water bottle rolling has worked. Lower calf still really tight, not the achilles thankfully but just above it. I think that's possibly a foam roller job. I'll inflict more pain on myself today and see how it goes.

Keep up the good work. :)

You’ve done the distances before so I’m sure you are well able for them. It may be more about keeping up a certain minimum amount of mileage on a consistent basis that allows you to ramp up to the distances required during marathon training. That minimum mileage will differ from runner to runner so you just need to find out what the magic number is for you.

Aerobically I am (was) finding it easier than last time so while I think overall fitness and stamina has improved it's just these feckin' legs of mine :mad::D

3 days off to let everything settle down so as to reassess... lots of icing in the meantime. 3 very boring miles on the TM this morning.

TM - so boring we posted it twice :p

Was quiet around here! Did you come up with a plan?

TM - so boring we posted it twice :p

I have no idea what you mean :p
    madon wrote: »
    Was quiet around here! Did you come up with a plan?

I've been fretting away quietly to myself ;) . Given continued shin pain and the ever present fear of stress fracture I finally decided to get professional advice.
    Thankfully no indication of any fracture but I've to cut down the mileage for the next 2 weeks (But not stop :)), run on soft surfaces as much as possible and take super duper anti-inflammatories for a few days. A couple of weeks of lesser mileage shouldn't do any great harm to my half marathon plans... I won't be breaking any records anyway :D

• Advertisement

I hope you feel better in yourself now that you've been seen to, You can still run and its always a good thing when we're still able to run!
    Half marathons are the new 'in' thing anyway, they're for the young cool people like me and you:p

Advertisement