Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

littlebug wrote: »
    It was dark so instead of running the bit that has no footpath at the end I did a loop of the graveyard....:eek:

Now that's dedication :eek: You're a mental gas woman :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

RubyK wrote: »
    Now that's dedication :eek: You're a mental gas woman :pac:

You'll notice I've only done it once ;):o

this morning I left the watch at home and took the mutt for a planned 6 miles. Lovely cool, slightly drizzly morning. Without the watch I was guessing at distance, knew 2.5 but wasn't sure of 3 so kept going til I met a landmark I knew I'd find easily on map my run and turned there. Ended up being at 3.5 so 7 miles altogether and a nice easy pace :)
    Legs behaved... probably the best they've felt for a long time :) Shins feel back to normal. a couple of little knee twinges but nothing major and achilles/ calf.. still tight but not enough to stop me :)
    3 weeks til the half marathon and I'm just running enough to get me round (since I've paid for the damn thing). I'll stick to trails during this week and do 10/11 next weekend.

Easy loop of Knockma with OH. He usually just runs a few miles on the treadmill a few times a week so however bad I am at hills he's worse :D Good to have company for a change.

Tuesday and Wednesday were lazy days with no run and no inclination to run :o bizarre because I also had two unusually good nights sleep. I woke this morning in the mood for a long run :) Well that and the fact that with my daughter playing in the parade on saturday I'll be busy and with the kids talking of bringing me breakfast in bed on Sunday I know the last thing I'll want to do after that is run 11 miles . So to today...
    I asked the mutt was she up for 11 and her face :eek::D said "yay" (previous longest run for her was 8). Off to the woods we went. First two miles were the usual stop start, had to stop to sniff a few other dogs and stopped to talk to a man who spotted my dog and wanted to talk about the Kerry Blue he had years ago :) Pace for the first two... not sure with the stops and I didn't stop the garmin each time.... ...

after that it was plain sailing all the way on the trail to Clonbur... 4.5 miles to the gate at the other side. I'd speeded (sped:confused:) up a bit for these next 3 miles to around 10ish min miles. I felt fantastic... not a twinge of pain anywhere. Turned back and took at detour off up towards White Island which added another 2 miles, (10.15, 9.55) and back on to the trail then... started flagging badly for miles 8 (10.19)and 9 (10.38) which was an uphill drag but got some oomph back for mile 10 (10.23) and 11 where I was plodding along nicely at the same pace til the dog saw a duck (again:rolleyes:) and the last part spent trying to keep her out of the lake dragging my pace for the last mile down to 10.57 :mad:
    Hard to put an average pace on it.. garmin says 10.39 but that's including a 13.20 for the first mile where I was stopped to talk for a few mins. Real average is probably 10.20 something which is probably right for me for this distance in the woods with no big hills.

Feeling good for Connemara now. All pains seems to have gone :) and I know I can do the distance. Still crAp on hills :rolleyes: and a pb is highly unlikely but I'll just be happy to get around.

Really enjoyed that drizzly mucky run this morning. Mutt did too and is all curled up in front of the fire now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

First two miles were the usual stop start, had to stop to sniff a few other dogs[/

strange:eek::eek: you really have strange habits;);)...

sounds like a lovely run littlebug, it will be no bother to you on the day, you won't have to worry about other dogs or ducks and just go with the flow!!!

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    strange:eek::eek: you really have strange habits;);)...

But I just can't help myself....:D
    I can see how that reads now :o:o
    yep I'm looking forward to a run without dogs or ducks to worry about :D

But I just can't help myself....:D
    I can see how that reads now :o:o
    yep I'm looking forward to a run without dogs or ducks to worry about :D

Sorry i couldn't let it pass...had me laughing away to myself here in the office...i got a few strange looks:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I read on a canicross website a while back where some fella was saying his friend (who dosn't have a dog) borrows his dog and his canicross gear and gets the dog to run uphill, pulling him up and so making him run faster he swears it has improved his time. I don't know if I'd take the risk of doing damage to my back!
    Getting close to the half now- delighted to see you seem to be looking forward to it too you seemed a bit pee'd off with it all for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Looks like you're all set for Conn, LB. Hopefully we'll see you after for a cuppa followed by something alot stronger to block out the pain :)

madon wrote: »
    I read on a canicross website a while back where some fella was saying his friend (who dosn't have a dog) borrows his dog and his canicross gear and gets the dog to run uphill, pulling him up and so making him run faster he swears it has improved his time. I don't know if I'd take the risk of doing damage to my back!
    Getting close to the half now- delighted to see you seem to be looking forward to it too you seemed a bit pee'd off with it all for a while.

I think when mine actually runs in a straight line out in front of me I do actually run faster but I have to stop so much and slow when she gets distracted by stuff I think it balances out.

I think I was more pee'd off listening to myself moaning about shins, ankles and knees so now that it's all on the mend (fingers crossed) I can enjoy it again. Right decision to drop to the half tho'. I didn't even really say on here how much my knee had been bothering me for a few runs there... felt like I was falling apart :( So I am really happy to have run 11 miles today with not so much as a twinge anywhere :) so yes... starting to look forward to it again now. :)

• Advertisement

shazkea wrote: »
    Looks like you're all set for Conn, LB. Hopefully we'll see you after for a cuppa followed by something alot stronger to block out the pain :)

yay.. if you can be bothered hanging round long enough for me to finish :D I'll look out for you all at the start anyway. Are you all staying in Galway? Bit of a drive back in for me but I'll see what I can do ;)

yay.. if you can be bothered hanging round long enough for me to finish :D I'll look out for you all at the start anyway. Are you all staying in Galway? Bit of a drive back in for me but I'll see what I can do ;)

No fear of you - my simple goal is to finish the race in one piece. There will no PB attempts for me, just enjoy it.
    Nules and I are staying just outside Clifden, sure Nules can provide you with more details, I'm not sure where!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

shazkea wrote: »
    No fear of you - my simple goal is to finish the race in one piece. There will no PB attempts for me, just enjoy it.
    Nules and I are staying just outside Clifden, sure Nules can provide you with more details, I'm not sure where!
    The wilds of Cleggan.... next stop inishboffin :D looking forward to meeting you LB.

Nules10 wrote: »
    The wilds of Cleggan.... next stop inishboffin :D looking forward to meeting you LB.

ah far too far from me. Never mind we'll have that cuppa after the race anyway and you two can drink Cleggan dry by yourselves ;):D

Today.. 3.1m recovery... if recovery is run/ walk/ stop/ talk/ stop/ let dog swim/ run a bit more.. etc. All very pleasant.
    Legs are surprisingly fine. Tired though.

2 loops of knockma.. gorgeous morning, lots of people out walking and running. With about half mile to go left knee pain hit :( it's related to the camber and so "went" when i was running over a rough bit than forced left foot inwards.... and is ok besides.. so if I stick to the left hand side of the road i'm ok :rolleyes: Took it really easy for the last half mile back down to the car park anyway but still finished a wee bit faster than last time since I'd pushed a bit harder on the uphill.

Hadn't planned to run today... kinda tired :rolleyes: but dog and husband were getting on each others nerves so I decided to take one of them out to stop them barking at each other :p Very windy out and I wasn't really feeling the love for it but plodded around my usual 3 mile loop slowly. I'm not sure it was beneficial as a run but everyone's more relaxed and being nicer to each other now...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Hope you kept the OH on the lead at all times :D:D

I just spat tea on my screen!

Hope you kept the OH on the lead at all times :D:D

of course I did... otherwise he'd be off chasing birds all the time :pac:
    I just spat tea on my screen!

:D:D

knee just wasn't right after mondays run so I got myself a heavy duty knee support and bar short walks took 2 days rest. Felt ok today so tried an easy treadmill run with the promise of stopping at the first sign of pain... determined to get to the startline in Connemara so I'm just doing whatever it takes to just keep me ticking over for the next 10 days. Thankfully all ok for this run so did 3 miles, probably helped by the support strap thing. I think i'll get there :)

• Advertisement

Hopefully the knee will co operate littlebug. Keep icing it. In the same boat myself with my hip. But regardless I will go down and cheer everyone on. But hoping I will be running too. :rolleyes:

Nules10 wrote: »
    Hopefully the knee will co operate littlebug. Keep icing it. In the same boat myself with my hip. But regardless I will go down and cheer everyone on. But hoping I will be running too. :rolleyes:

Sure if it comes to it we can hobble along together and push /pull each other to the finish line :D

Sure if it comes to it we can hobble along together and push /pull each other to the finish line :D

Sounds like a good plan to me. Just hope there will be some goodies left for us ;)

took advantage of OH arriving home while there was still some daylight and went out on my 3 mile loop... took it easy, very easy.. probably too easy.... taking being careful of my knee to a whole other level of careful :o I won't run tomorrow and then head to the woods on Sunday for 8/9 if everything feels ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

God littlebug, bad luck on the knee. I hope your resting and easy running on it help loads and its back to normal in no time.

Debated whether to bring the garmin or not this morning... the aim was 8-9 miles in the woods as slow as was comfortable with pace irrelevant. I know what I'm like with the watch:rolleyes:.. anyway decided in the end to wear it but also to wear the HRM and keep the watch on hr to keep myself in check. I put on my heavy duty knee support which, under capris, made my leg look very very odd. Asked my OH does it look too strange to be seen in public ... his answer..."sure who'll be looking at you anyway" :(:D very true :rolleyes: so me and my strange leg went off to the woods :)

Started the run beside the Abbey but knee pain kicked in before I'd even reached the bridge :( I stopped and wondered whether to throw in the towel before even starting. No... just take it easy to half a mile and decide then. Pain had subsided somewhat by half mile so I kept going but honestly I found it really hard to get into it today. If HR went over 170 I would get really huffy puffy but found it hard to keep HR down. Improved over mile 3/4 and noticed HR go up when I was out of the shade (gorgeous blazing sunshine but it was having an impact). I had no water.. I haven't brought or felt the need for water on any long runs lately but I was feeling the need for it today. Turned at about 4.7, still not really enjoying the run until mile 7 when it seemed to click into place. Upped the pace for the last 2 and let the HR soar.
    Found today 9 miler way harder than last weeks much faster 11 miler :confused: just one of those days I suppose. Happy with the knee and the fact that I forgot about it for the last couple of miles. Good weather is good but I'm hoping for a cool drizzly day next Sunday.. suits me much better.

Today was bound to be harder with the sunny weather, good on you for sticking with it. Hope the knee holds up for the week.

I hear you on next Sunday; 10 degrees, no wind and a little sprinkle of drizzle here and there please!!

Next time a photo of the funny leg please- no good just telling us about it!
    Glad the knee held though:)
    I found the last long run before Bohermeen very tough I wonder is it something psychological, its not like either of us can't complete 13 miles we can do it but for me during that last long run I felt like I never ran that far in my life!

Next time a photo of the funny leg please- no good just telling us about it!

My leg looked a bit like this guys leg...
    [IMG][/img]555256AA58AC4CA5ABB3422F8D728D5B-0000331913-0002794401-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

but just the leg... definitely just the leg :pac:

Gosh I don't run for a couple of days and I slip into 2013.
    Monday- 5 mile walk in the woods ... just lovely :) Intended doing a few miles yesterday but wasn't home from work til 10 by which stage I was knackered so just left it.
    4 miles this morning. Didn't wear the watch- no point at this stage and it would just bother me. lovely morning... felt the knee a tiny bit on the uphill in the first mile but it was grand after that, even on steeper uphill in the last mile.
    I think the first hill in connemara is going to be a test and I'm going to have to take it really easy. If the knee goes on that one then I'm fecked... at least if it goes on the last hill I'd manage a hobble to the end :o
    Though a pb would be nice I'll not be particularly bothered if it doesn't happen.

• Advertisement

Littlebug, mind the knee and all will be well on Sunday. Best of luck with the race:D

Advertisement