Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Very disappointing about the knee LB, hopefully it won't bother you too much on the day...physically or psychologically. I hate feeling less than 100% on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Best of luck for Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

yesterday and today just did a very very easy jog round my usual 3 mile loop. Knee is so so...

Mixed feelings about Sunday... 1 minute thinking I'll be grand and the next minute thinking I'll be walking the whole thing. The truth will likely be somewhere in between. nowt I can do about it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Think positive thoughts :) Hopefully the knee will behave, best of luck with the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Hey littlebug best of luck Sunday. What's your number and colour of top so I can give you a shout out. I will be the very sad looking red head on the sidelines ;) I am out of conn but I will do my best to cheer you all on. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Best of luck Sunday. Hope the knee holds up.

Nules10 wrote: »
    Hey littlebug best of luck Sunday. What's your number and colour of top so I can give you a shout out. I will be the very sad looking red head on the sidelines ;) I am out of conn but I will do my best to cheer you all on. Good luck

Had to look up my number :o Must remember to go and register tomorrow :D
    3028 a vision in purple. you could be packed up and gone home by the time I finish :D but if you do see me make yourself known!

Sorry you're not running... not meant to be :( but all for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck, littlebug.....and have FUN on Sunday!!! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Good luck, littlebug.....and have FUN on Sunday!!! :)

That's the plan DD :D One of the great things about running at the slower end of these races is all the people you meet and all the little mini conversations along the way. Of course the scenery will be fantastic too so what's not to enjoy !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

You’ll be starting your epic at the same time as I line up for the Mullaghmeen Hill Run. I sincerely hope to be finished before you but let the best joint win.

La La La….. The thigh bone is connected to the hip bone, the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone, the rest of your leg bone is connected to the knee bone…. La La La

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Enjoy tomorrow littlebug

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Good luck tomorrow LB- enjoy your day:)

and FINALLY back to Connemara :D

What a fantastic day and a fantastic run :)
    I didn’t go in to this today with anything resembling confidence given recent knee problems leading to lack of hills of note in recent training. Together with the fact that I’m not good with sun and heat meant I was starting off thinking I would be really really lucky to even match my time from 2010 (2.22). Before the race I was chatting to someone who was walking it and how I was tempted to join her...
    An hour and a half of hanging round, queuing for the loos (and again) and eventually we we were off at midday. The first part of the run down in to Leenane would give me an indication of whether or not the knee would hold up and thankfully all seemed good. The first 1.6 miles of hill would be a test but I took it really easy and slow and actually didn’t find it too difficult at all.
    For the next 3 miles I felt FANTASTIC:D. Having started near the back of the field I found myself passing people throughout. ( 9.20-9.40ish). Saw someone grab an ultrarunners baggy of stuff at the water stop :eek: but he put it down on the next table when he realised.
    Miles 6-9 I slowed and the smaller hills (and heat) were starting to have an impact. (10.26/10.22/ 10.06/ 10.18).
    Then came the HOTW.... nearly 2 miles of even higher climb with little bits of respite here and there. Given that I knew the hills were already having an impact I knew and accepted i’d be mostly walking now, interspersed with little bits of runs here and there (12.05/ 13.37). Near the top I tagged on to the back of a group of women who were running slowly which took me over the crest of the hill.
    The next wonderful downhill mile should have been much faster but somehow wasn’t. I guess tiredness was setting in (9.26) and then to the last flat mile. I felt the first twinge in my knee at the bottom of the hill so eased off the gas just in case... maybe unnecessarily but I really wanted to run, not walk, across that finish line . Mile 13- 10.30. I probably could have been up to to a minute faster here but caution over the knee held me back. Back down to 9 something for the last bit (.23 ), got a great shout from Nules (thanks :D really helped) and crossed the line in over 2.20 (garmin time), a Connemara half marathon pb of 2 minutes which I am happy with. I probably could have managed another minute or two off that with more effort but hey....
    I’m feeling surprising good now...just one little blister on my big toe, some sunburn (my right ear!) , calves feel a bit tight but other than that I’m absolutely fine. Overall I know it doesn't compare to others times on here but for me this was good and, most importantly I really enjoyed it :)
    Log title and aim achieved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yay, littlebug!!!! What a fantastic day you had! Congrats on the pb....and more importantly, I can tell you've got a smile on your face! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done littlebug, a great PB on a very tough course. You rocked it today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Woohoo! Congrats LB really delighted for you- you really deserved that PB for the blood sweat and tears that went into getting it, I hope you are knocking back something refreshingly alcoholic now in celebration:)

Well done, 'twas a tough old day out there today.
    2 mins off with a dodgy knee is a great achievement.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ....and more importantly, I can tell you've got a smile on your face! :)

ha! I sang all the way home! (in the car.. not the bit on the bus!). on the bus i got to sit at the front beside the driver so good chat with him and the nice man from donegal that was sat behind him... .I may have talked a lot :D
    madon wrote: »
    I hope you are knocking back something refreshingly alcoholic now in celebration:)

emmm... tea is nice too :o
    BrokenMan wrote: »
    Well done, 'twas a tough old day out there today.
    2 mins off with a dodgy knee is a great achievement.

welll done to you too. I wasn't sure if you were running or not. Where's your log gone?!

Bally8 wrote: »
    Well done littlebug, a great PB on a very tough course. You rocked it today :)

cheers :) now I want to do a Bally8, do some cycling and rock my way to 5k and 10k pbs :D

littlebug wrote: »

welll done to you too. I wasn't sure if you were running or not. Where's your log gone?!

Thanks was a struggle. Log hasn't been updated in a while now. Just using an offline spreadsheet, getting better stats. Must get back in habit of maybe updating once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great stuff LB, congrats on the PB :D. Shame I missed you but I couldn't rem what num you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats on the pb littlebug!! You must be delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done LB, delighted the knee held up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congratulations on the PB:)
    Loved your report and I'm delighted everything came together for you on the day. I'm probably still glycogen depleted or delirious but I really think Connemara is a magical place:D:D:D
    Well done on completing your goal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Delighted your knee held up and you had such a good run - it's a great feeling when it all goes to plan :) Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done LB glad i could be of some assistance ;) you looked very happy and very comfortable when i saw you. So what's next ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done lb, delighted you hit your target

Nules10 wrote: »
    well done LB glad i could be of some assistance ;) you looked very happy and very comfortable when i saw you. So what's next ;)

I'm not sure that you're supposed to look happy and comfortable at the end of a half marathon :o Sorry I didn't go back up to where you were once I'd got fed and watered... would have been nice to meet y'all:). My thinking wasn't very joined up at that stage!

what next... I don't really know ! While the knee held up for the race I know it's not quite right... the crunch everytime I press on the clutch kinda tells me that :eek: so I'll be sticking to short stuff for a while anyway. I have any amount of 5k,8k and 10k races fairly locally over the next few months to choose from. The castlebar women's mini marathon is coming up at the start of May. I've done the last two... it's a tough enough one and I didnt even make it under the hour last year :o so I should probably put that right. The Annaghdown 10k in June is the scene of my current 10k pb (57.30 something) so it would be good to do that one again. There's a dead flat 5k in Ballinrobe that I made a mess of last year that I would like to have a go at again if it's on.
    I might also put this log to bed... except that would mean having to think up a new witty or not so witty title :pac:

Forgot to add... today 20 mins very very easy on the exercise bike + plus a nice easy 3 mile walk. Gosh I'm tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi Littlebug, Congratulations on completing your goal and getting a PB, especially when the knee was not playing ball......it was very tough course by the sounds of things which should make the PB all the sweeter. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on your brilliant run LB. You must be delighted to be back in the game. Just make sure to recover properly. That was me crossing the finish line like a Cheshire cat - I don't know where it came from as I'm sure I was dying inside! Thanks again to all supporting at the finish line - it made for an awesome atmosphere! :)

PS my right ear has now started to peel from the sunburn - I hope you don't suffer from the yucky Irish skin that I've been cursed with!! :(

Advertisement