Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

still on the bench :( I'm slowly getting used to the idea that knitting is the new running :cool:

the good news is that Ive had no pain in the achilles while walking for 3-4 days now. Still a bit tender to touch so not ready to run yet.
    Shoulder is still more bothersome :(.
    Hopefully I'll be ready to start back for short runs on soft surfaces next week...slow run/ walk in the woods for a few weeks to start I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Keep the faith littlebug, have patience, you will get back out there.

Have you tried crochet? It's way more fun than knitting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

or what about embroidery? :p

...hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Hopefully the rest will sort everything out Littlebug.

Knitting, crochet and embroidery.... tried them all but there's nothing like a good run :D Finally managed a wobbly restart today. Eased into it with 2 miles on the treadmill. I just fixed it at a comfortable slow pace. 1.5 miles walk with the dog in the rain after. Achilles behaved on the run but complained a bit on the walk... lots of stretching after. Shoulder is still not right but I think running might even help that. Fingers crossed I'm back in the game. No big plans/ targets being set until I know I'm good to go. It might take me a while to get back to 9 min miles :o

• Advertisement

3 miles this morning with the dog. It was planned and started as a walk and I wasn't exactly dressed for running but the weather was for me perfect running weather so I couldn't help myself :o All slow with the usual doggie pitstops and I walked the last little bit too as we were back on the main road and I probably looked a bit daft running in jeans and woolly jumper :o I'm avoiding the garmin til I'm back running properly. The dog is very happy to be moving faster again :)

early early..... 0.75 m in the howling wind and lashing rain. Ran the length of the village and back again, all for the dogs benefit not mine.

later... rain cleared so out for 3.1 miles, no watch ,slow but happy to be able to run a full 3 miles again :).

Found myself making excuses not to run today :o so I read a few marathon reports which put me to shame so onto the treadmill I went.
    1 mile warmup @ 11 min, followed by intervals x 4 @ 10 min mile and recovery@ 11. Not fast :o With 8 weeks til Athenry the aim is to be in 9 min mile shape again by then and maybe even manage 6 of them which would be a nice pb. It'll get easier as the poundage gained over the past couple of months disappears... there's a little bit gone already:)

Was out on the island for a few days.
    Thursday- 3 miles. First time I've worn the garmin again. I thought I was flying but garmin told me otherwise :o I'm blaming dog sniff/ pee/ try to chase birds/ jump over walls etc stops and also having to move in to the grass to let cars pass etc. I don't know the exact moving pace til I get the garmin software re-installed but probably in the higher end of 10-something per mile:o
    Sunday- as above- same-ish pace. God I'm unfit but considering I'd had about 1 hour sleep I was happy enough just to be out at all!
    I got chatting to an Englishman on the boat on the way back who had done the Dublin marathon- had almost exactly the same running times as me right down to the 5.03 marathon :D Random conversations about running are always good :)

Back to physio this morning- happy with achilles but she advised continuing to keep distance at 3 miles for another couple of weeks.

Walked the kids to school, then ran 1 mile from there to the Turlough where I stopped and let the dog off for 20 minutes swimming/ running/ general craziness while I stood there wondering how I was ever going to catch her again:eek: Eventually caught her and continued to run 2 miles home, happy doggy trotting alongside me. No watch... felt faster than the two previous runs, helped of course by the 20 minute break :)

• Advertisement

really busy week and just managed to get some bits of running in on dog walks but nothing solid til this morning. 3.2 miles, happy to see pace go under 10 mm at the start of the second mile... then the battery went :rolleyes:

treadmill. 1 warmup mile@ 11mins, 2x 9.30s plus half a mile warm down. :)
    Felt good to be doing 9 somethings but I also felt quite shellshocked afterwards :eek:

oops nearly a whole week :o
    but... busy doesn't even begin to describe the week and associated stresses so I'll cut myself some slack.
    This morning was my final physio and I've the green light to go and increase distances etc.
    So when I came home I set out with the mutt, picking up a neighbours dog along the way. Neighbour is having trouble with arthritis so can't walk her dog so this way I think we all benefitted. It was all a bit tangly at the start but we soon got into our stride... there were short walks when we met cars on the main road and going past any houses where dogs were likely to run out at us... with having two of them I wanted to be sure I was in control :o but all good, happy doggies, me with a few more miles done and an appreciative neighbour. Little beaglet is actually a much easier running buddy than my loopy mutt :rolleyes:

3 x 10 min miles on the treadmill, in a very warm room beside a roasting hot radiator, followed quickly by a very hot shower. After all that I had to go and lie down :eek: still don't feel right:o

Time to start ramping it up a bit for athenry. I haven't been able to get to any club runs since the darker evenings set in but I'm told they're starting a Sunday morning session. That'll hopefully get me moving a bit faster again.

Friday. Knockma 2.4 miles with my husband who has just started back running after a long break. ! Probably more walking than running but hey it was nice to be out together for a change :)

Sunday. I planned to go out on the group run but didn't get out of bed in time :o Instead I took the mutt to my old 6.1 mile loop which I haven't done for months. Since I haven't run over 3 miles for quite a while and mutt has never gone over 4 miles I took it easy and was prepared to stop whenever either one of us showed signs of flagging... which didn't happen :) No garmin, just regular stopwatch which showed 66 mins something when we stopped so just under 11 min miles. That included doggie pit stops and stops when we'd meet a car etc. At a guess moving time was probably 10.40 something which is fine for me for now at first time back at that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

littlebug wrote: »
    Friday. Knockma 2.4 miles with my husband who has just started back running after a long break. ! Probably more walking than running but hey it was nice to be out together for a change :)

Aww, I'm so jealous. I can't run with my OH - theres about a 3 or 4 min/mi difference in pace :eek: The only few time we've ran together he was recovering from injury and I was doing a fast / tempo / pace run. It never really works...:P

Emer911 wrote: »
    Aww, I'm so jealous. I can't run with my OH - theres about a 3 or 4 min/mi difference in pace :eek: The only few time we've ran together he was recovering from injury and I was doing a fast / tempo / pace run. It never really works...:P

it won't last.... the running together bit, not the marriage :o:D He'll be faster than me again in no time. He actually prefers to run on the treadmill and isn't bothered about roadrunning or races so getting him out at all was an achievement in itself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Emer911 wrote: »

Ah you need an old degenerate like mine that needs regular recovery runs at 10m/m pace if you want OH company. You can have a loan if you'd like... ;)

Well done on the long run LB, hope it all continues to go well for you. Your disciplined approach to recovering from injury has paid off and is something that we could all learn from! Delighted for you :)

claralara wrote: »
    You can have a loan if you'd like... ;)

lol... swapping already? :D

Well done on the long run LB, hope it all continues to go well for you. Your disciplined approach to recovering from injury has paid off and is something that we could all learn from! Delighted for you :)

Disciplined approach could also be read as "got very very lazy" :o but yeah it's good to know I can still run 10k now I've just got to get the pace up a bit :)

Very busy Monday and Tuesday so didn't get to run.
    Brutal weather today. Call me a lightweight but I aint going out in that:o. Needed to get my treadmill run done early as OH needs it when he gets home.
    4 miles altogether, 1x 11min, 2 x 8.38 :), 1 x 11. Good to see progress.

Other news.. my canicross kit arrived so no more arms being pulled out socket when running with the mutt. I'm looking forward to trying it. Might take her to the woods on Friday if the weather is in any better. Would love to try a race sometime.

• Advertisement

3.2 miles in Cong woods with the dog and our new hands free kit..:) should save a bit on physio bills.
    The planned route was flooded so I went off up a different trail and found myself up to my ankles in mud at times. Running downhill in wet mud and leaaves with dog out ahead pulling me was interesting :D Got a bit fed up with the mud after a while so went back out onto the road and up towards Ashford Castle. Must've looked a right mucky sight splodging along on the path around the golf course in the lashing rain but there was another fool runner out there too so at least I wasn't alone. I enjoyed it in a strange masochistic way.
    I can't find the garmin disks to put software on the new laptop :rolleyes: so I haven't a clue what the moving pace was and too many stops for dog/ laces/ cars/ to avoid getting dragged into fast flowing river :eek:etc for the showing pace to have any meaning. Felt like mid 9 min miles...
    I've also just realised that my new laptop doesn't have a cd drive so when I do find the disk...:p well I have a husband who seems to spend half his life fiddling with usb thingies and various cables and general geekery, apparently making life easier for us :confused:, so I'm sure he'll come up with something ;)

after posting it dawned on me that maybe there never was a garmin disk :o technology is passing me by... just when I was getting used to cd roms they're becoming a thing of the past:rolleyes: Spent an hour clicking on big blue buttons on the garmin website, drinking coffee, scratching my head and pressing more buttons and eventually got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

after posting it dawned on me that maybe there never was a garmin disk :o technology is passing me by... just when I was getting used to cd roms they're becoming a thing of the past:rolleyes: Spent an hour clicking on big blue buttons on the garmin website, drinking coffee, scratching my head and pressing more buttons and eventually got it sorted.

Like the drinking coffee bit :D I use sporttracks alongside the garmin flavour.

I wanted to do 5 miles today.. couldn't face the lashing rain again and I also couldn't think of a decent route off the main road that wouldn't be flooded so I resigned myself to the treadmill again and did 5 miles @ 10 min miles. I felt good for another but glanced out the window and saw that the rain had eased off so clipped belt on me and harness on dog and went off down the boithrin for another easy 2.2 miles @ 10.37 pace.
    Total 7.2 miles :)

One of those days where it's hard to get out so on the treadmill again but decided to put it to better use and up the pace a bit.
    2 miles @ 7.4 (8.10 min miles:)) sandwiched between 2 x .5 miles @ 11min pace. Happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Great pace there littlebug- your coming back nicely.

am: knockma with the wonderdog. More walking than running.

Didn't feel I'd done enough and a bellyful of junk in Eddie Rockets with the kids guilted inspired me into 3 more easy miles on the treadmill this evening. Feeling much better now ;)

Just signed up for the Fields of Athenry 10k on 26th December. Don't know if I'll be in pb shape or not... I'd lean towards not as I just haven't been doing enough road running but sure what else would I be doing on stephen's day :pac: so I'll just aim to enjoy and see what happens.

In other news..... in a moment of spontaneity quite uncharacteristic of me I've just signed up for the Connemara FULL marathon :eek:
    Sure why not :pac:

If training doesn't go well I'll drop back to the half and if I do the full it'll be an exercise in getting around slowly with nothing resembling a time target :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've just signed up for the Connemara FULL marathon :eek:
    That's the spirit! Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Just signed up for the Fields of Athenry 10k on 26th December. Don't know if I'll be in pb shape or not... I'd lean towards not as I just haven't been doing enough road running but sure what else would I be doing on stephen's day :pac: so I'll just aim to enjoy and see what happens.

In other news..... in a moment of spontaneity quite uncharacteristic of me I've just signed up for the Connemara FULL marathon :eek:

If training doesn't go well I'll drop back to the half and if I do the full it'll be an exercise in getting around slowly with nothing resembling a time target :)

Oh well done that will give you huge motivation....that's what I find anyway, something to focus on.
    And a 10k on the 26th! I'm not sure I could do it after non stop grazing the day before.

Advertisement