Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Took advantage of the kids being off out enjoying the good weather this evening. First did 20 mins easy on the bike, then treadmill.. 1 mile warmup@10.30, 1 mile fast @7.38* :eek:, 1 mile in betweeny @8.52 and finished with a slow slow getting slower .4 just to bring me back up to whole numbers in the 1000 mile challenge. Clawing my way back to 2012 :D

* didn't know I could do that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done lb nice pace there.

Run
    Monday am- 3 mile plod with the mutt. Sometimes these so called runs just feel like a chore and are for the dogs benefit more than mine. So many pitstops, stops every time a car passes, dragging the dog out of the turlough when she sees ducks etc, running the gauntlet of no less than 40 other dogs along the route. with all the stopping and starting I'm not sure there's any real benefit for me at all. I can only consider it recovery "run".

Wednesday.... same route as above and I expected to to feel similar but for some reason it was one of those runs that started easy, and got better, stronger and faster and arrived home 3 miles later with a big smile on my face :) I have no idea what was different this evening :confused: but I won't question it. Beautiful evening and really enjoyable run for no particular reason ! No watch, which probably added to the enjoyment.

Swim
    Tuesdays class sorted the men from the boys... or more specifically me and the 2 men from the other 3 women. We switched to doing lengths and the other women weren't really ready for it. Funny when we were just swimming from the wall to first rope I would have put myself at the same level as them so was surprised.
    Got on ok at lengths... now that I've got rid of my stupid irrational fear of putting my head under water, leaky googles and lost contact lenses:rolleyes: I'm not really afraid of the depth. Swim and breathing wise I'm fine til halfway, start to tire and co-ordination goes to pot :o.. and I end up breathing out when I'm supposed to breathe in etc. Still though I managed the lengths ok. Even did 2 more after the others had stopped though I'm still knackered after each one!
    I have a feeling she'll push me a bit harder next week. I'm good for the challenge :cool: I'll try to get over for a swim by myself between now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

littlebug wrote: »

Swim
    Tuesdays class sorted the men from the boys... or more specifically me and the 2 men from the other 3 women. We switched to doing lengths and the other women weren't really ready for it. Funny when we were just swimming from the wall to first rope I would have put myself at the same level as them so was surprised.
    Got on ok at lengths... now that I've got rid of my stupid irrational fear of putting my head under water, leaky googles and lost contact lenses:rolleyes: I'm not really afraid of the depth. Swim and breathing wise I'm fine til halfway, start to tire and co-ordination goes to pot :o.. and I end up breathing out when I'm supposed to breathe in etc. Still though I managed the lengths ok. Even did 2 more after the others had stopped though I'm still knackered after each one!
    I have a feeling she'll push me a bit harder next week. I'm good for the challenge :cool: I'll try to get over for a swim by myself between now and then.

Wow littlebug you are flying it with the swimming! I was still only allowed do widths by the end of my 6 swimming lessons last October and you're already doing lengths. Well done :)

Bally8 wrote: »
    Wow littlebug you are flying it with the swimming! I was still only allowed do widths by the end of my 6 swimming lessons last October and you're already doing lengths. Well done :)

nah I'm still rubbish :p We can't do full widths as there are a few lanes in use so the only way to really work on the breathing was to do lengths. I could always sort of swim a bit.. just very badly, not very far and with my head out of the water :o so I'm not an absolute beginner but was (am) just doing lots of stuff wrong!

• Advertisement

Yay the bike came out of the shed!
    First time on it in months so took it easy. The stationary bike really doesn't compare. Couple of "uh oh" moments a the start when my knee hurt a bit but it soon dissipated. 10 nice easy miles in 51 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You started quiet the debate over in the triathlon forum on what goggles you were going to buy - what did you go with in the end? What pool are you in Tuam?

catweazle wrote: »
    You started quiet the debate over in the triathlon forum on what goggles you were going to buy - what did you go with in the end? What pool are you in Tuam?

and there was I thinking there was a simple answer :p I ended up having to get "some" goggles quickly so just ran into lifestyle in town.. all they had were speedos so I just got the best looking pair. I've thrown the box out so I forget the name. They're grand. There has been the occasional little trickle of a leak but maybe only once in a session.

Yes Tuam improvers class. I have a lot of improving to do :rolleyes: not quite ready for the Masters group yet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Busy log indeed with the running, swimming and cycling...shame there's no event that has all 3 disciplines eh :p

I had a read of the goggles thread too. My biggest fear indeed as the last ones I had were crap and leaked constantly. Not a nice feeling with the contacts in :mad:

shazkea wrote: »
    Busy log indeed with the running, swimming and cycling...shame there's no event that has all 3 disciplines eh :p

I had a read of the goggles thread too. My biggest fear indeed as the last ones I had were crap and leaked constantly. Not a nice feeling with the contacts in :mad:

I'm not doing a triathlon:D I think you'd have to be good at at last one discipline for that and I'm crap at all three :p
    my old knees just aren't up to any decent running distance on the road anymore so it's all just for the sake of keeping moving while reducing impact.. mixing it up seems to be the way to go. Cycling was my thing when I was young so if I'm to improve much at anything it'll be that. But my previous form is to start cycling a bit, improve a bit over a few weeks and then the bike sits in the shed for many months gathering dust and I'm back to square one next time out.
    Maybe this time.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I'm not doing a triathlon:D I think you'd have to be good at at last one discipline for that and I'm crap at all three :p
    my old knees just aren't up to any decent running distance on the road anymore so it's all just for the sake of keeping moving while reducing impact.. mixing it up seems to be the way to go. Cycling was my thing when I was young so if I'm to improve much at anything it'll be that. But my previous form is to start cycling a bit, improve a bit over a few weeks and then the bike sits in the shed for many months gathering dust and I'm back to square one next time out.
    Maybe this time.....;)

:D:D:D Did I mention the word triathlon in my post....

I know what you mean about cycling...except my bike sits in the flipping hall and I am very used to ignoring it on the way out the door :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Yes Tuam improvers class. I have a lot of improving to do :rolleyes: not quite ready for the Masters group yet :p

Is it Celia Davin taking that class, shes some swimmer (fine triathlete too ;))

catweazle wrote: »
    Is it Celia Davin taking that class, shes some swimmer (fine triathlete too ;))

I actually don't know her name. Blonde hair? takes kids classes too. She's really good.

Advertisement