Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Today was my first time running in Galway by myself and not in a race. I don't think I liked it, all that concrete, pavements, cars and people. Oh but I got my first "Run Forest Run" shout from a kid hanging out of a car :D Am I a real runner now? :p I think I'll stick to the woods and the boithríns;)

Parked up at Claddagh and headed round South Park towards the prom for my first mile...Straight into strong Atlantic winds and telling myself I'd appreciate it when I turned around :pac: . Turned around at one mile and headed back towards town, down past spanish arch, the docks and out Lough Atalia road towards Renmore stopping at the Church with 4.6 miles done. At Renmore a nice little group and media had gathered for Speedy's homecoming. After a short wait he arrived..... looking deservedly knackered! The group then ran back down towards town again...1.8 miles ish I think (Garmin played silly bugger in the rain and didn't work for that bit). Speedy and co went off for a break at the Harbour Hotel (he still had 20 odd miles to do) and I turned back out Lough Atalia again, back to the roundabout, turned again and finally back in to town, back past the Claddagh (and my car :(). and back into South Park again to finish. I wasn't sure of my mileage with the missing bit but i've mapmyrunned it now and my total was 10.1 miles. Average pace for the 8.3 miles I did get on the garmin was 10.50. The rest of it felt similar....

Probably the only time I'll ever be able to keep up with Speedy :pac: I hope he's ok. should be finished his 1000th mile by 8.30ish I believe. Phenomenal accomplishment, especially the mileage in the last 10 days or so.

Started out with the intention of a nice brisk walk with dog and daughter (on bike) but the rain soon forced us to push the pace up a bit... Nothing too fast mind :p happy to call it a recovery run and it gets me onto the new 1000 mile table. Legs are feeling surprisingly good considering yesterdays 10 miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

First day of the year and already ahead of you in the 1000 mile challenge :p

First day of the year and already ahead of you in the 1000 mile challenge :p

Just biding my time MCS ;):p

littlebug wrote: »
    Just biding my time MCS ;):p

MCS = :eek:

• Advertisement

OH has been sick the past few days. I wondered this morning if I was starting to get a bit of a sore throat myself so decided against running today in a bid to keep myself healthy....An hour later the thought of being housebound all day was driving me nuts so I bundled the dog into the car and off to knockma before anyone could object. We had a nice little trot, taking it easy uphill and letting loose downhill (much easier in trail runners):). 2.4 mls. When I got home everyone was exactly where I'd left them... I'm not even sure they noticed I was gone :confused:

Treadmill today. 5 miles. 11/9.03x3/ 9.51

with a quick break in the middle to feed my hungry children:D

Treadmill today. 5 miles. 11/9.03x3/ 9.51

with a quick break in the middle to feed my hungry children:D

Children these days!!! Sooooo demanding!!!!! :D

Children these days!!! Sooooo demanding!!!!! :D

I know.... :rolleyes: and I fed them he day before too... pfft :rolleyes:

This evening... 3.1 very easy miles (just after dinner:o), if I go to the end of the street lights in all directions out of the village I can make up 3 miles. One bit doesn't have footpaths and there happened to just be a lot of traffic at that time with people just coming out of church so I just did one direction a second time. Toyed with the idea of a lap of the graveyard but then decided that might look even stranger than running up and down the village twice :p

Perfect perfect morning for a run. I usually have to talk myself into it but this morning I was twiddling my thumbs and watching the window til it got bright enough to go. The schedule called for 7 miles and I know it's exactly 3.5 to the end of our road so I didn't bother with the garmin. On runs like this I realise how much I detest being a slave to the watch. I think I'll set it to show only distance in future. I really hate tormenting myself with times and mile beeps.
    Anyhow.... on the 3.5 miles out I think 4 cars passed, I put in some cattle off the road and closed their gate and I acquired an extra 4 legged friend for the last half mile. Turned and stopped to try to drop mr jack russell where we'd picked him but he'd become a little overly amourous with my dog and had to be forcibly removed so he turned into a right snarly little fecker then! Thankfully a relative of his owner turned up so I got rid of him:) and moved on.

The rest of the run home was uneventful but pleasant :) 7 miles, no idea of time and it doesn't matter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Perfect perfect morning for a run. I usually have to talk myself into it but this morning I was twiddling my thumbs and watching the window til it got bright enough to go. The schedule called for 7 miles and I know it's exactly 3.5 to the end of our road so I didn't bother with the garmin. On runs like this I realise how much I detest being a slave to the watch. I think I'll set it to show only distance in future. I really hate tormenting myself with times and mile beeps.
    Anyhow.... on the 3.5 miles out I think 4 cars passed, I put in some cattle off the road and closed their gate and I acquired an extra 4 legged friend for the last half mile. Turned and stopped to try to drop mr jack russell where we'd picked him but he'd become a little overly amourous with my dog and had to be forcibly removed so he turned into a right snarly little fecker then! Thankfully a relative of his owner turned up so I got rid of him:) and moved on.

The rest of the run home was uneventful but pleasant :) 7 miles, no idea of time and it doesn't matter :)

:) Just waking up here in the US and this post is exactly what I needed to get me psyched for my run today. And I so know what you mean about being a slave to the Garmin. Sometimes you just have to shed the chains!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Was the complete opposite to you today! Invented things to do to delay going out and ran most of it glued to the watch too!
    I did enjoy it though, as did my pacemaker have a big pot of pasta and egg for Juneau now for his effort!

madon wrote: »
    big pot of pasta and egg for Juneau now for his effort!

eww poor doggy :p

After reading madons log I decided to do intervals today. Started with an 11 min mile warmup and then ventured into unknown territory ie 8mph on the treadmill. I did .2 mile @ 8 followed by .3mile @ 5.3 recovery. 6 reps and a slow warmdown mile @ 11.30. Total 5 miles and a toughie:o

I think I only went as far as 7.5 on the treadmill on previous interval runs. I've no idea why... clearly been far too easy on myself :o

According to this 8mph is 7.34 min (TM) miles or equivalent to 7.49 on road.
    0.2 miles = 321.8688 metres.
    I'm happy with that :)

total mileage this year 25.7 (logging here in case I get wiped from the table).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh great...this means that the intervals I've been running on the treadmill have all been slightly slower than prescribed!! UGH!! Oh well. Thanks for posting this treadmill conversion chart, no matter how slightly depressed it's made me. :(

But....nice work to you! Intervals kill me...and you did a super job today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good stuff there LB, training seems to be going well for Conn.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oh great...this means that the intervals I've been running on the treadmill have all been slightly slower than prescribed!!

Oops sorry about that Dory :o
    shazkea wrote: »
    Good stuff there LB, training seems to be going well for Conn.

So far so good :) Hopefully I can keep it together when I get to the big miles. 12 next weekend. I surpised myself with those intervals this evening. I know I don't push myself half hard enough.
    Must try to get to group runs again.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭diddleyland

sounds like your doing brilliant, its often hard to push yourself that extra bit!!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

So far so good :) Hopefully I can keep it together when I get to the big miles. 12 next weekend. I surpised myself with those intervals this evening. I know I don't push myself half hard enough.
    Must try to get to group runs again.

Brilliant, the 12 lsr will be no problem to you but group runs do make it so much easier alright.

I struggle to keep mine at the same pace I'm shockin jealous reading how consistent your intervals are:p

I struggle to keep mine at the same pace I'm shockin jealous reading how consistent your intervals are:p

The beauty of the treadmill. I wouldn't have a chance of maintaining that pace outdoors:o

today I did 3 laps of the race track....had no real plan pace wise and didn't really look at the garmin til I was finished. I knew I was feeling better on each lap despite the wind picking up. 10.28/ 9.48/ 9.24 average pace 9.52.

• Advertisement

3 very very slow and very very easy 3 miles around the village in the dark... with stops to talk to various neighbours out walking :D lovely evening :)

12 miles... longest run since DCM 10 I think.
    Another perfect morning for run, just a little chill in the air, dry and crisp and the tiniest bit of a breeze.
    First 6 miles with the dog , mostly uneventful, couple of sharp pains in my left knee when the dog was trying to jump over walls to my right, but it only happened at that particular movement so nothing to worry about I think. I did have to break up a full on fight at one point ..grrr :mad: Other than that the first 6 were really really slow, slower than they otherwise would be due to dog pitstops, fight, general antics and having to slow and step into the grass everytime a car passed etc. Traffic was building up a bit towards the end too which got a bit annoying. First 6 miles ranged from 11.20 to 11.40... :o but it probably made the end of the run easier.
    Back to the house at 6miles and swapped the dog for some water and gels. Took one gel and set off again... felt the next 3 hard enough for no particular reason despite not having the nuisance with me :confused: 11/11.07/11.04.

Turned at 9 miles, took gel 2 and for mile 10 I felt almost eupohoric :) (10.38), good but tiring a bit for mile 11 (10.29) and knackered but happy to be finished on my fastest mile 12 (10.26).:) Presumably a good sign that I was able to speed up a bit for the last 3.

Wore the hrm for the first time in ages as well. HR stayed nice and low only going up over 170 for the last 3. average hr 168.
    A lovely long run actually. Probably the pace I should be doing my long runs at.. and great to start the run slow and finish strong. I think every long run was the other way round last time.

What belt are you using LB the one that looks like a climbing belt with loops around the legs or the one that just goes around your waist? I found I had loads of little niggles until I got the climbing belt one, it seems to spread the 'jolts' more evenly (very technical explanation!) I'd be careful that your knee isn't coming from the belt pulling at your hips.
    Well done on the 12:)

just the regular waist belt Madon. It's generally fine. I don't think the knee twinge was a hip isse. It wasn't happening when I was being pulled but when I would twist my upper body to the right to pull the dog back towards me. I didn't think I was changing the position of my left leg/ knee at all but both times I felt a sharp twinge in the dead centre of my knee. Although maybe it was the hip twisting.... either way it wasn't the belt but my own movement.

It has crossed my mind that if I get injured at all this cycle it'll be dog rather than running related :rolleyes: which I'd be pretty pee'd off about.

3 miles easy. No watch.Felt a bit sluggish to start with but nothing major to report.

Busy week and haven't kept this up to date this week.

Wednesday- 6 miles on treadmill (6 x10)
    Thursday- 3 miles easy (road)

Saturday. Planned to get up early to get 13 done and dusted. Woke at 7.30am, felt like crAp, listened to the wind outside for a minute, rolled over and went back to sleep til 9 :o OH was working most of the day so that was my opportunity gone .... oops.
    After lunch took the kids for a walk on the short trail around Clare lake and it all went a bit Alice in Wonderland... (see pics below :D)
    BA244C28DCEF4684AA057B947E7E01B8-0000331913-0002712465-00500L-5F46B51E65114CD993E1D300347E6B65.jpg

D7C022621E324C81BA662352E0AE02BE-0000331913-0002712461-00500L-B3FBAFD4346A42F89100EFD135724645.jpg
    but thankfully we returned to normal size later :)

evening dawned and realisation dawned on me that OH was going to be away tomorrow and I'd have to get 13 miles in today somehow. It was dark already and my choice was either 13 times up and down through the village or 13 on the treadmill :eek:

13 miles.... at 10.56 mins on the tm while I watched an old Stargate episode, a doc with the history of the world in a nutshell, the story of electricity and half a Law and Order. Easy peasy :D sweated buckets but I never once felt out of breath after the first mile. I suppose that's what long runs are supposed to be like. I also probably should have pushed it a bit at the end but I was kinda floating along. Lungs and heart were grand but legs did get tired at the end and my ankles are complaining a bit now, as was the TM at the end... what with the smell of burning rubber :eek:

my choice was either 13 times up and down through the village or 13 on the treadmill

I'd have gone with 13 times up and down the village but you are made of sterner stuff. Well done, by jove....... :D:D

Love the door in the forest! Did you climb through too? I'd be very tempted!
    Stargate:D- (with Teal'c I presume)

I'd have gone with 13 times up and down the village but you are made of sterner stuff. Well done, by jove....... :D:D

I dunno... past the pubs, again and again. Even walking the dog at night I get comments, nothing nasty just banter but still :o and someone once tried to give the dog Baileys!
    Love the door in the forest! Did you climb through too? I'd be very tempted!
    Stargate:D- (with Teal'c I presume)

I don't think the pic does the door justice as you can't tell how tall the children are. Put it this way.... 'm 5'2 and I couldn't reach the door knocker :D The door wasn't there the last time I walked there. It'd be really bizarre if it's gone again next time :D

Stargate:), started watching Season 2 (as Season1 is over 18s and the kids were milling about ), dvd player on the pc let me down after 1 episode :( I'd forgotten how much I loved it, never missed an episode back in the day :). I never got into the newer Stargate, just wasn't the same without Teal'c, McGyver and Carter though my personal favourite was Daniel Jackson (I always had a soft spot for the nerd;))

• Advertisement

I dunno... past the pubs, again and again. Even walking the dog at night I get comments, nothing nasty just banter but still :o and someone once tried to give the dog Baileys!

I know what you mean. Even as a bloke I've had the "athletic drunk" pacing beside me with his drink in hand, shouting "fair play to ya". I even passed through the same Garda checkpoint 3 times one night on a 10-miler :rolleyes:

Still, whatever gets the miles done. Not sure I could stick it out on a treadmill though. Well done.

Advertisement