Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Forward in Reverse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

LaHaine wrote: »
    DCM 2011:

4.39. Absolutely gutted. I dont know what happened. Wasnt far off 4 hour pacers at half way. Then I lost all energy. Just bonked. No explanation.

Feels like months of training down the drain. Sickened

The marathon is such a tough event - tougher than people realise. It is very hard to estimate finish time first time around. It took me three years to get the 4 hour monkey off my back.

Your training was primarily focused on GFW, where you had an outstanding sub-6 result.

I have no doubt you have a sub-4 marathon in you if you choose to go for it but then again there's all of these multi-sport events and adventure races to consider as well. You've had quite a year, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

We all can have bad days. As said above you had a good GFW time and no doubt a 4 hour marathon is well within your compass. You know what to aim for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

DCM 2011:

4.39. Absolutely gutted. I dont know what happened. Wasnt far off 4 hour pacers at half way. Then I lost all energy. Just bonked. No explanation.

Feels like months of training down the drain. Sickened

Don't let it get you down, I missed my target as well. Ran side by side with the 4:15 pacers till the N11 flyover and then my back, quads, knees all went. Finished in 4:28.

Have signed up for Connemara on April 1st. GFW will be my A race again next year, at least I know I'll be going into it with a much stronger running base.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Right, so whats next?

Not giving up anyway. Lost the battle but the war has just begun!

Ive thought long and hard about what went wrong but I have no conclusions really. Still, plenty to work on. Core work would def help me a lot. Tightening up diet too maybe. Def need to start doing some speedwork.

My next race will be the Aware 5 mile in December. But ill be taking a couple of weeks off now to recover before I get back to it.

Time to concentrate on beating some pbs over shorter distances.

Marathon 2 will be happening next year, no doubt.

Cant let all the training go to waste!

Thinking about edinburgh marathon 2012 for my next big goal.

Decisions decisions...

• Advertisement

So...i had a long break from running. Which I think was no harm.

The plan is to get back to it with a bang in the new year. Im now contemplating the Connemarathon.

It would mean only three months of training for it.though. Wondering if thats enough? Anyone have any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

dont know if im hijacking a thread, if i am let me know

Right so myself and the brother did gaelforce west last year and we finished in a time of 5h 19mins. We both stuck together doing it and came in 4 seconds apart on the timesheet ( he took great delight in them 4 seconds)

We had about 4 weeks training for it but if im honest we didnt do all that much for it so anyway, i placed a bet with him that i could take an hr of that time next year with proper preparation starting in January. He laughed and said not a hope which hes probably right but im gonna aim for it anyway as i saw loads of places i could improve on.

my first 13 k run took 1hr 13 mins
    wasted a lot of time changing from runners to cycle shoes.
    spent a lot of the cycle admiring the view rather than bombing on.
    didnt put in any real effort going up croagh patrick but in fairness i dont think my preparation would let me go much faster
    came down it in 24 mins
    finally we were chatting through a lot of it which i would cut out next year.

I did the Killarney adventure race a month or so later and found it a lot tougher..

So basically im wondering could you tk an hr of the time with proper preparation and fully focused on doing it???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

It'd be some going, the lower you go the harder it is to save the minutes. 4.19 would be top 50 or so, good luck.

The title of my log is a bit redundant now.

Does anyone know if I can change it or will i have to set up a new one? I'd like to keep this going if possible.

Training starts again in the New Year. Happy New year too all, hope 2012 goes well for everyone!

Some weights at home.

Squat Thrusts - 5 sets of ten with dumbbells

Lunges - 3 sets of ten with each leg

Plank - 1 for 1 min, 1 for 45 secs, 1 for 30 secs.

Ha that got me sweating like a pig. Seem to have lost any bit of fitness/strength I had. First run of the year should be interesting.

Dusted off the Garmin to charge it up in anticipation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The title of my log is a bit redundant now.

Does anyone know if I can change it or will i have to set up a new one? I'd like to keep this going if possible.

Training starts again in the New Year. Happy New year too all, hope 2012 goes well for everyone!

Think you have to request the mods to change the title, should be a 2 second job for them.

There are 12 week programmes available, I used this for DCM last year, I had to reduce the pace of the long runs though as I couldn't hold them. Make sure you do some hill training for Connemara the last few miles are a beast

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--9215-2-1X2X3X5-5,00.html

Easing back in...more weights today.

5 minutes stretching.

3 sets of 8 - shoulder flies
    3 sets of 8 - shoulder press
    3 sets of 8 - bench press (from Floor)
    3 sets of 8 - chest flies (from Floor)
    3 sets of 8 - dumbell curls.

Today:

About 45 minutes of rollerblading!

Found my old pair when I was at home over the weekend and decided to bring them up to Dublin. Used to be mad into jumping things etc back in the day!

After a slow start i got back into it fine. Good fun! I dont know how it translates fitness wise but i enjoyed it!

Today:

Blast the legs:

3 sets of 15 squat thrusts with d/bells
    3 sets of plank (1 minute for first 2, 45 secs for third.)
    3 sets of ten lunges with each leg with d/bells
    3 sets of 20 vertical leap (high as I can go basically. Gets the heart pumping and loosens legs)

Tonight:

23km cycle. Gorgeous night for it.

Tonight:

24.85 cycle. Bit of grumbling from the legs. Been lazy too long! The body's stiffened up.

Tonight:

Warm up stretches.

5 mins of stretching with resistance band.

Superset: 3x8 Floor press
    3x8 chest flys

Shoulder Press: 3x8

Shoulder exercises with resistance band 3x8

Dumbbell shrugs 3x8

dumbbell curls 3x8

Dumbbell side bends 3x8

Today:

27km cycle

Tonight:

40 km cycle.

This is turning into my "anything but running" thread! But i'm getting back into the exercise. I'll get there in the end!

Tonight:

30km cycle.

• Advertisement

Two and a half months after the marathon - ive ran again for the first time.

5km in 28.21. Took it easy. Very windy out there.

Felt terrible :)

Tonight:

5km 26.17. Ouch

Today:

5km in about 28 minutes.

Brutal again. But the enjoyment of running is coming back so its all good.

Today:

5km in 26.10.

Tonight:

5km in 25.47. Chilly!

Short term plan is to beat my pb over 5 and 10k if possible.

So ill be doing the patricks weekend 5k in dublin, aiming to beat 22.49. And then the great ireland run ill be aiming for 48.44.

Good bit of work to beat them as im back to no fitness but its good to have goals to aim for!

Last night:

15km cycle.

Tonight:

30 minutes weights

Tonight:

30 mins weights. Very busy in work so this will have to do for now. Better than nothing

Wednesday night:

Half hour weights.

This morning:

5k 25.36. Need a kick up the arse!

• Advertisement

Tonight:

21km spin on bike

Advertisement