Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Forward in Reverse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

been following youre thread for awhile lahaine, making some good progress! i know how those knees are a disaster, had third knee op, in december and am just starting physio now, so hope to be back for my third gaelforce!! all those hours in the gym will be worth it! nothing like crossing that finish line!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Today:

6.8km run in 37.59. Actually enjoyed this run a lot. Contrary to most people I love running in the rain. And I made a new playlist for my mp3 player so I had some good distraction. Nice to run a bit further too.

Im finding that my knees tend to be a lot better if I concentrate on how I run. When Im tired I tend to fall forward rather than there bein any bounce...if that makes any sense? When im feeling good I tend to bounce and do a fuller stride which seems to loosen out my legs more and put less pressure on my knees. (it makes sense in my head at least:rolleyes:)

been following youre thread for awhile lahaine, making some good progress! i know how those knees are a disaster, had third knee op, in december and am just starting physio now, so hope to be back for my third gaelforce!! all those hours in the gym will be worth it! nothing like crossing that finish line!!

Cheers!! Nice to know someone is reading.

The knees are a challenge to say the least but sure it'll be worth it in the end hopefully.

Third Gaelforce? Fair play. Aiming for any particular time this year? Any big training tips?

LaHaine wrote: »
    Today:

Im finding that my knees tend to be a lot better if I concentrate on how I run. When Im tired I tend to fall forward rather than there bein any bounce...if that makes any sense? When im feeling good I tend to bounce and do a fuller stride which seems to loosen out my legs more and put less pressure on my knees. (it makes sense in my head at least:rolleyes:)

know what you mean, when you land on the balls of your'e feet it is alot easier on the contact with the ground!!

tips: have to practice the transition from running to the bike, legs are like jelly for first couple of k's after that, you have lots of time to get used to it, since your'e in the gym already doing leg excercise's try 10-15 mins on the excercise bike, i find the hill programme on them very good, and as your'e legs are tired already you'll get that jelly feeling!!

missed out on top 100 last year, came 118th, so if i finished 99th would be really happy with that!

Today:

50.8 km cycle. No idea of time. Didnt have garmin.

First time back on the bike in about 4 months. Really enjoyed it. I was sore at the end but thats to be expected. My hands were sore from holding the bars and my backside was sore from the saddle. Not surprising after not cycling for so long.

The good part - I could have kept going for a good bit longer, legs felt good.

Id say ill be stiff tomorrow so Im not sure about going for a run. Ill see how I feel.

• Advertisement

Today:

10.21km run in 59.50.

Delighted with this. I was in bad form before I went out and I wanted to really go for it. Obviously its not the fastest pace but im very happy with the distance. Feels like real progress.

Gorgeous night too. Ran a bit on Sandymount beach. Really enjoyed it all.

Long run + favourite songs + lovely night = one happy camper.:D

Today:

Lots of stretching, my calves were very tight after yesterdays run.

Decided to do a few exercises to loosen up upper body.

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank
    15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    20 push ups

Today:

5.07km run in 25.38.

A bit disappointed with this to be honest. It was raining heavily and windy but still. I pretty much gave it all I had.

Surely I should be able to run 5k faster than this if i can run 10k in 59mins? Im not comfortable at all once i go out of my regular pace.

Im going to sign up to the MSB St Patricks 5k tonight. Id like to run that in less than 23 minutes if possible.

I presume I need to do some fast paced short runs to get some speed into my legs? Any advice appreciated. :o

Today:

Cycle

74.64 km in 3hrs 41mins.

Including a stop to fix a puncture and the last 30k on a very dodgy back wheel. My small pump that i bring on the bike is useless for gettin up to any decent sort of pressure. I hate punctures but its good to get used to having to fix them I suppose. Getting a bit better.

Lovely morning for cycling. Most of the route was pretty flat, very little wind. Lots of cyclists out and about too. Few Boards jerseys spotted near Howth. Cant beat the cyclists nod of acknowledgement!

I would have liked to have gone a bit further but I didnt trust the back wheel at all. Booking the bike in for a general service over next week or too. I think ill buy some Continental Gater Skins too. As enjoyable as changing the tyre was i could do without it happening as regularly

Today:

5.04km run in 24.46.

Faster than my last 5k attempt last week. Thats about all good there is to say about that...

• Advertisement

Had an exam today so training hasnt been great last couple of days.

Back to it at the weekend, wont be able tomorrow as im working and then going home to vote.

Passed my first ACCA exam :D

Today:

Long slow run.

Stopped my watch by mistake at 45 minutes and didnt notice for ages so distance and time are estimates.

12km in 1hr 10. Pretty sure on distance, not so much on time.

Psychological battle today, sometimes i just convince myself im tired, when I know I shouldnt be. Kept going and didnt stop so Im happy. Ive always lacked mental strength when running so i'm trying to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Hi lahaine,
    Good log. Have you signed up for any other adventure races or duathlons in the build up to Gaelforce?

Fingal tri have a duathlon in March
    http://www.runireland.com/events/fingal-tri-club-duathlon-race-2

and I'd recommend WAR in April or ROAR in May, you could do the Sport versions

http://www.wicklowadventurerace.com/
    http://www.roar.ie/

The Spink run in WAR is both painful and beautiful, great fun.

Today:

11.16km run in 1hr 05 mins.

Slow enough but not too bothered about pace. Just wanted to get the distance in.

Another lovely night. Ran down to Sandymount beach, lots of people running and doing fitness camps etc. Great to see.

guapos wrote: »
    Hi lahaine,
    Good log. Have you signed up for any other adventure races or duathlons in the build up to Gaelforce?

Fingal tri have a duathlon in March
    http://www.runireland.com/events/fingal-tri-club-duathlon-race-2

and I'd recommend WAR in April or ROAR in May, you could do the Sport versions

http://www.wicklowadventurerace.com/
    http://www.roar.ie/

The Spink run in WAR is both painful and beautiful, great fun.

Hey guapos,

Cheers for the reply. Yeah I'm hoping to do some of the Duathlons that are run in Phoenix park in the evenings during the summer. Seems to cater for all levels so its a nice easy start. Half thinking about WAR, but Im not sure if Id be fit enough in time.

I didnt know about the Roar event in Wicklow, that looks good. Ill see how the training progresses but thats definitely a possibility.

Have you done many of these races before?

Today:

5km run, 25.08.

Some day i will run fast...and I will be happy that day...that is all. :cool:

Got laser eye surgery a couple of days ago so I wont be running or cycling for a few days. Back to it with a vengeance towards the end of the week hopefully.

you might regret getting the laser treatment when you see the size of croagh patrick while you set down your'e bike after 32 k's of cycling and 19k's of running!! bring a blind fold just in case!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Howdy,

I did the the two WARs and West Wicklow ROAR. All well organised and great fun. You will defo be fit enough to do the short version, my brother did the sprint version of WAR Glendalough with only 10k training and hes far from fit :-) With your running and cycling you'd be well able for the short version and more than likely the long version.

Pretty damn poor log of late. Dying to get back out running or cycling.

Eyes are still sensitive after getting the laser eye surgery done so they advised no exercise for another week. So the next time ill be running with probably be the St Patricks 5k in Dublin.

It'll be interesting to see how two weeks off will affect the legs. The good thing is I am dying to get back out training so thats a good sign. Did a lot of stretching tonight just to keep the body somewhat supple.

So yeah...back logging soon hopefully!

• Advertisement

My first race of 2011.

Havent ran in two weeks because of laser eye surgery so this was never going to go quite to plan. But at the same time im very dissapointed in myself. Finished in 26.33 and I had to stop at one point as I thought Id get sick.

Ive been out a lot lately and had a few bad hangovers so I really dont think that helped. From the very start I was struggling. Lesson learned. Not drinking now at least until my next race - the Great Ireland run.

I was really annoyed at myself at the finish but theres no point crying over spilt milk at this point. Back to the training with a vengeance this week. Out for a spin on the bike now in a few minutes. Punish the legs a bit!

Despite my dissapointment I thought it was a great race. Nice to run around the city centre. Lovely weather - a little too good when you're struggling :rolleyes:. Saw Jamie Heaslip outside the Shelbourne hotel on way back around too, or at least I thought I did!

Time to put the head down for a bit now over the next few weeks and really put in some serious training. Eyes are perfect now so no excuses!

Sometimes a good kick up the backside is good for you.

49.83km cycle. Not a complete waste of a day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

La Haine.

I was a first time Gaelforce participant last year (and any event of that kind). Same age bracket (i'm 25) and relatively same level of fitness it would seem, although you have much more biking experience than I had (which was zero). I completed the gaelforce in 6hrs and 36 minutes. I have some advice for you.

Do not underestimate how tough the climb up and down Croagh Patrick can be. Took me 1hr 45 to get up and down. Integrate some hill running and off road running into your running program.

Also, make sure you have a decent bike (road bike or cyclocross) for the cycle. I had a crap hybrid that I got a loan of and was training on a 15 year old crappy mountain bike. Guys on racers were zipping past me on the cycle route, so frustrating!!

Cheers for the advice ronan!

The plan is to work on increasing distance in running soon. Then hopefully get into a bit of hill running when i get my fitness levels up a bit. Everyone who i know of that has done the race has said the same-Croagh Patrick is the killer. So i definitely wont be underestimating it.

As regards the cycling i think i should be ok. Obviously the key will be transitioning between cycling and running which I've never done before. I have a pretty decent bike so should be ok on that front.

Are you planning on doing it again this year? Fair play on doing it already. I'd have no idea what time ill be aiming for to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

From what I gather anyway you should be ok for the cycle. Also regarding the Kayak section, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maximum time it will take for anybody is 20 minutes.

I wont be doing it myself next year as I have a stags to go to that weekend, I am actually gutted about cos I felt it was such a great event and experience last year. I will be doing the Wicklow Adventure race and maybe the Sean Kelly tour of waterford instead.

If I was a betting man, from what I can gather from your posts i'd say you'll get the race done in about 6hrs 20 - 6 hrs 30 minute.

Have you got accommodation booked? I stayed in a B&B for the two nights that is only about 400 yards from the finish line. Absolute top quality place. The owners are really nice and they have free vouchers for use of the pool, jacuzzi and sauna in one of the big local hotels (cant remember its name though). Think the price was about €70 for the two nights (which is unreal), rooms were amazing, especially for the price.

Today:

30km cycle, complete with puncture. Enough said.

ronan1986 wrote: »
    If I was a betting man, from what I can gather from your posts i'd say you'll get the race done in about 6hrs 20 - 6 hrs 30 minute.

Have you got accommodation booked? I stayed in a B&B for the two nights that is only about 400 yards from the finish line. Absolute top quality place. The owners are really nice and they have free vouchers for use of the pool, jacuzzi and sauna in one of the big local hotels (cant remember its name though). Think the price was about €70 for the two nights (which is unreal), rooms were amazing, especially for the price.

Ooh, Ive a target to try beat now - under 6.30.

No, Im looking for accomadation at the minute. Cant believe the price of the hotels down there. Ill be having a good look and hopefully booking something this weekend

Ten k walk wednesday night on the beach. Random I know but it all counts. Nothing yesterday or today.

Feeling awful run down this week. Hopefully get in a long run tomorrow after an early night tonight. Not happy with the past few weeks. Need to get back into the swing of things.

This morning...in glorious sunshine!

9.4 km in 52.13. Struggled with the heat. Nice to get a long run in. Its been a while. Now to watch the boat race!

• Advertisement

Today

4.88km run in 26.36. Legs were awfuly heavy today.

Having one of those why bother days so i was glad to get out there and get something done. Legs quite stiff from yesterday.

Im doing the great ireland run in 2 weeks so I really need to get out a good bit more than I have been. maybe a cycle tomorrow evening.

Advertisement