Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

derekon wrote: »
    After last night's disappointment for the east coast, I would focus on the word "possible" from the above warning

I spent most of yesterday evening and last night online waiting for the so called snow "event" that never materialised. I also put off a trip to Meath for today thinking the snow would be very bad .

Only thing I would say is that with such cold air over Ireland at the moment, there will definitely be more chances for snow over the coming days and week. We live in hope.........:)

Did ye not get enough snow the other week! jeebus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

leahyl wrote: »
    Very excited about that hirlam model!! Looks good for cork!! :D don't met eireann use this model?

They must be usingit,
    News at one just quoted gerald fleming saying Wexford, Waterford and Kilkenny to be hit on Sunday , Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

raging fantasy league cup was on this weekend now ive only 1 player playing today!,nearly all premier league games off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Vanhalla wrote: »
    Did ye not get enough snow the other week! jeebus

No you can NEVER have enough snow!

I agree with you derekon and yes i think there will be penty more chances of snow over the next week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    No you can NEVER have enough snow!

I agree with you derekon and yes i think there will be penty more chances of snow over the next week. :)

Great minds think alike eh?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Nuala just told us about how the afternoon follows the morning before it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

-1C and sunny in East Clare at the mo.... our snow shield worked well during the night.
    *slight grump*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    Very excited about that hirlam model!! Looks good for cork!! :D don't met eireann use this model?

now can we get the right snow, so we can make a decent snow ball and snow man.

and my dad just informed me, it's going to "shocking" for the next couple of days.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Any snow looking likely for Laois today/tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Darwin

baz2009 wrote: »
    Any snow looking likely for Laois today/tomorrow?

Nothing much today or tomorrow but looking at the forecasts, Monday looks like it could bring something significant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

still -1.5 here, which is kind of annoying because its so cold but there isnt a drop of precip within miles . .:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    In fairness , the amounts that fell in west have generally been tiny compared to what the east got a couple of weeks ago. I mean under 15cm is really not disruptive. It took 16 inches to totally shut Wexford down.

And in fairness the big difference is that there a huge salt shortage. You can plough snow but without salt the roads freeze solid which is what's happening in the west. (Drove maynooth to ballina last night, in car on way back now)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

Considering driving from Oranmore to Dublin today and back tomorrow (rear wheel drive to add to the challenge!). Anyone travelled that route today? How long are we talking? Heard a guy on the radio yesterday saying it took him 5 and a half hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

3hr-rain.gif

if all that comes in thats on the west coast it will be snow heaven:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Considering driving from Oranmore to Dublin today and back tomorrow (rear wheel drive to add to the challenge!). Anyone travelled that route today? How long are we talking? Heard a guy on the radio yesterday saying it took him 5 and a half hours!

My sister did it last night at 5pm, arrived in Dublin at 7.30, apparently it wasn't too bad and things only slowed for a bit at athlone.

My friend did Westport to Dublin, took 6 hours yesterday between 1 and 7pm, so I suppose it's the motorway that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

derekon wrote: »
    Great minds think alike eh?!!

Haha yea, looks like the ice age has set in, in castlederg, -12c at midday!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

raging fantasy league cup was on this weekend now ive only 1 player playing today!,nearly all premier league games off!

I'm raging too, waited till 11:15 to do my team, only 1 game off then!

now half my team is out:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

East coast (Louth, Meath and Dublin) should see snow and hail showers on the coast in the next few hours as winds go more Easterly. When the showers come on to the Wicklow and Wexford coasts tonight they should be light. They may not be that heavy but because the ground is so cold anything that falls will settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Hey whats the story with north mayo, will we be getting anymore snow today or tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Slidey wrote: »
    mutt_in_the_snow.gif

Dog is not happy with the depth, his legs are a bit short for the drifts on the back roads.. :D

Whats with the long face?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Any thoughts about Kilkenny / carlow ?

The showers will not penetrate much inland, the forecast E wind will be very very slack. This will be more of a coastal event (very light precipitation here anyways). I'd be very surprised if I got more than a dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

darkman2 wrote: »
    East coast (Louth, Meath and Dublin) should see snow and hail showers on the coast in the next few hours as winds go more Easterly. When the showers come on to the Wicklow and Wexford coasts tonight they should be light. They may not be that heavy but because the ground is so cold anything that falls will settle.

I'd take anything at this stage. I simply refuse to go through a cold spell with the bloody polar vortex above our heads and only get the .00001mm of what i can only describe as a thick frost on the ground!

Bring back the easterlies I say! The north and west have had their fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

First of that N Irish sea precip impacting E Down coast now...looking like it's moving in line with the coast...orographic lift might intensify it a bit for us...either that or the snow all be dumped on the mournes/cooleys and it'll bunnyhop N Louth.
    Definitely looking good for early evening though, if wind shifts another bit E...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Any thoughts about Kilkenny / carlow ?

Too far inland for tonight. Monday/Tuesday a better bet. It's only coastal fringes at risk. And even some coastal fringes of the East will miss out (again). Louth could take a pasting this evening. Lighter stuff the further South you go on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭henke

I can't believe people actually want snow. I hope I never see the stuff again. Donegal has a ridiculously low salt supply so it is almost impossible to get anywhere and it is a nuisance when you live out in the country and have to travel to town to buy necessary groceries. As nice as it is to look at and play with snow is far from fun.

Bring on the thaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

naughto wrote: »
    3hr-rain.gif

if all that comes in thats on the west coast it will be snow heaven:D:D:D

yes it might make it to Castlebar. I can't see it coming any further inland unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Rougies wrote: »
    I'd take anything at this stage. I simply refuse to go through a cold spell with the bloody polar vortex above our heads and only get the .00001mm of what i can only describe as a thick frost on the ground!

Bring back the easterlies I say! The north and west have had their fun!

according to beasterly we've only has a dusting, though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I can't believe people actually want snow. I hope I never see the stuff again. Donegal has a ridiculously low salt supply so it is almost impossible to get anywhere and it is a nuisance when you live out in the country and have to travel to town to buy necessary groceries. As nice as it is to look at and play with snow is far from fun.

Bring on the thaw!

BAN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

thaw in east cork. snow is melting at a ferocious rate :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

according to beasterly we've only has a dusting, though. :p

Aw poor westies! Well just give us some snow today and you can have it back tomorrow ok. Then we can have it again on monday and you on tuesday, we can swap each day :D

Oh, and then a massive countrywide hammering on Chirtmas eve :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement