Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

BBC weather is pretty useless. During the last cold spell, they predicted rain for dublin and we got relentless snow. They also predicted 4 degrees in Dublin today which is completely wrong. Their focus is on uk, which isn't surprising. London seems to be getting hardly any snow these days

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

cloudy here for the last 40 minutes and nothing falling :mad: 14cm isn't enough for me :D

It's been cloudy here for over an hour, nothing falling and we only have 2cm on the ground :( And all those senseless people driving all over my snow on the road. Just terrible:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

So I take it the game is up for snow in the east?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

according to accu weather and weather channel there's snow coming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

looks like a nice shower is forming off the west coast and heading right for me. Yay :D. But knowing my luck it'll break down just off shore or something :rolleyes:

If you are anywhere near Limerick its just going to bypass it.

Its not stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

BBC weather is pretty useless. During the last cold spell, they predicted rain for dublin and we got relentless snow. They also predicted 4 degrees in Dublin today which is completely wrong. Their focus is on uk, which isn't surprising. London seems to be getting hardly any snow these days

They dont really cover Ireland seeing as its a different country.

love how rte, when dublin gets snow, there are live updates. dublin gets no snow, but the rest of the country gets snow, no live updates:mad:

Jumpy wrote: »
    If you are anywhere near Limerick its just going to bypass it.

Its not stupid.
    Indeed. I'm living only a few miles away from the coast and the snow parts in a V shape right from there, bypassing my house and going on to bypass Limerick. Just shameful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I like the latest update from met eireann "Some heavy snow showers possible also in eastern coastal counties of Louth, Meath and Dublin".

Oh i hope their right! :D

I reckon it's aatter of time before snow arrives in the east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

HIRLAM model is predicting mega snowfall for the south on Monday , aswell as showers for the east tommorrow. :D

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm , click on nedbor and run the sequence.

ATM I can see some large CB's to my east, now to wait for the wind change tonight.

Indeed. I'm living only a few miles away from the coast and the snow parts in a V shape right from there, bypassing my house and going on to bypass Limerick. Just shameful really.

That V starts just around Galway.

I propose we invade and discover where they are hiding their evil weather device.

-3 degees in Dublin at midday, mad stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Wertz wrote: »
    Looking like BA made the right call on cancelling all Heathrow flights...that band over SE Eng is spinning up right over London.

Skies have gone blue here again...that light convection type cloud has thinned out again.

Low due to develop in the Irish sea in the next few hours and if this happens should cause some good falls of snow in Ulster and North Leinster later this afternoon.

low1.png

low2j.png

Opr

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    HIRLAM model is predicting mega snowfall for the south on Monday , aswell as showers for the east tommorrow. :D

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm , click on nedbor and run the sequence.

ATM I can see some large CB's to my east, now to wait for the wind change tonight.

WOOHOO Nedbør!

very dark red over cork on monday:D sweet

Jumpy wrote: »
    That V starts just around Galway.

I propose we invade and discover where they are hiding their evil weather device.
    Yes, actually, Galway have been stealing our snow:mad:. mumblemumble . .greedy. .mumble:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    love how rte, when dublin gets snow, there are live updates. dublin gets no snow, but the rest of the country gets snow, no live updates:mad:

i really enjoyed reading them even tho it had nothing to do with me. very disappointed theres none now. but sure, what did i expect? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

btw I wouldn't be too worried by the precip charts for the east. Anyone who looked at the ones on the model runs for N.Ireland last night will know why.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

mid west getting nothing once again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

opr wrote: »
    Low due to develop in the Irish sea in the next few hours and if this happens should cause some good falls of snow in Ulster and North Leinster later this afternoon.

Opr

Aye, you can see the circulation already on the radar the past few hours. Slowly moving west too, so if it does come off, it'll be slower moving precip (unlike what blew through here thu/fri).
    I'd prefer not to see it until after sun down...temp has jumped a few degrees upward here in the past hours in the sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

mutt_in_the_snow.gif

Dog is not happy with the depth, his legs are a bit short for the drifts on the back roads.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Clear skies here in Limerick :(

Still clear

Slidey wrote: »
    mutt_in_the_snow.gif

Dog is not happy with the depth, his legs are a bit short for the drifts on the back roads.. :D

CHILI NUTS!

sunbabe08 wrote: »

In fairness , the amounts that fell in west have generally been tiny compared to what the east got a couple of weeks ago. I mean under 15cm is really not disruptive. It took 16 inches to totally shut Wexford down.

Slidey wrote: »
    mutt_in_the_snow.gif

awwwww:D

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    In fairness , the amounts that fell in west have generally been tiny compared to what the east got a couple of weeks ago. I mean under 15cm is really not disruptive. It took 16 inches to toatally shut Wexford down.

i have to disagree with you because all around me did not shut down the roads were open i was in work everyday and all the shops were open

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I like the latest update from met eireann "Some heavy snow showers possible also in eastern coastal counties of Louth, Meath and Dublin".

Oh i hope their right! :D

After last night's disappointment for the east coast, I would focus on the word "possible" from the above warning

I spent most of yesterday evening and last night online waiting for the so called snow "event" that never materialised. I also put off a trip to Meath for today thinking the snow would be very bad .

Only thing I would say is that with such cold air over Ireland at the moment, there will definitely be more chances for snow over the coming days and week. We live in hope.........:)

smokin ace wrote: »
    i have to disagree with you because all around me did not shut down the roads were open i was in work everyday and all the shops were open

Here shops closed due running out of stock, ambulances stopped running. I was out on the main roads where there was zero 2wd cars moving. It was total shut down.

Town centre kept running, maybe 50% shops open there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Very excited about that hirlam model!! Looks good for cork!! :D don't met eireann use this model?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement