Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It is going to be a slow progress today.

Winds are only going to very slowly shift east.

At the moment the wind is so weak it can't push inland due to a convergence zone, the land/sea boundary which need abit of energy to cross.

So i anticipate snow showers to begin to impact the east at some stage through the day, hopefully sooner rather than later BUT the models indicate a very gradual uptake of the easterly flow and micro changes could alter this.

It is a difficult situation, the case may be that we sit for hours frustratingly watching snow showers circulate just 10-30 miles off shore.

However i anticipate the easterly flow to first reach more northern areas, so i reckon SE Ulster, north leinster to see the first showers, this transferring south through the afternoon and evening/night.

A streamer will set up somewhere, probably north of Wicklow and give somebody a few cms.

No offence to weather check, but going by m.t's usual standard that should read

MTC 15000 Weathercheck 1

:P

Insult taken:eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

A few more pics from me, we have a nice covering about 2" or so,

nice soft snow

P1030320.jpg

P1030321.jpg

P1030324.jpg

P1030328.jpg

P1030329.jpg

P1030330.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

And a few more :D, was abit snap happy there earlier

P1030335.jpg

P1030338.jpg

P1030336.jpg

P1030337.jpg

P1030343.jpg

P1030342.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

No offence to weather check, but going by m.t's usual standard that should read

MTC 15000 Weathercheck 1

:P

Its just since yesterday, so the score stands!

M.T. Cranium 0 Weathercheck 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

22 cms, Jaysus!

015_3.jpg

014_2.jpg

Sister is reporting over a foot of snow in Churchill, Donegal. I'd well believe it as she always gets it far worse. Christmas dinner may well be cancelled.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

absolutely gorgeous photos. i'm in east cork and its nowhere near as thick. delighted for ye in the city!

Here is an illustration of the pressure forcings in the east.

Notice also some heavy pulses of sleet and snow into the west tonight and tomorrow. At the moment they look just coastal but could stretch inland.

NOW

10121812_1806.gif

9PM

10121821_1806.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

RJC09 wrote: »
    i'm in east cork and its nowhere near as thick.

No need to be insulting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Donegal Post man 1000,000,000 Everyone else 0:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

John2009...great pics...but knock the snow of them chairs or next summer you might go on your ass!! And the reason will be = 'the snows of last winter'. ;)

Seriously...not good to let them sit like that for the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Starting to see a lot of low "smokey" type clouds rolling in off the Irish sea here in Dundalk (which was devoid of snowfall overnight)...the type of cloud that starts snowfall further inland. Doppler showing a nice band forming W of IoM and possibly headed this way.
    -1.3C here currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

aahhhh saturday... all snowed in, toss another log on the fire, mince pies, koffee an spliffs;) Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Im in Limerick. We have got nothing. Nothing at all. Sun is blazing down and not a cloud in the sky.

We have seen absolutely nothing since this cold spell started. I would like to express my disgust at Fianna Fail for not providing once again for Limerick City and its surroundings.

I want snoooooow

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

dacogawa wrote: »
    Its just since yesterday, so the score stands!

M.T. Cranium 0 Weathercheck 1

i would say he was spot on for here, got fault him and he is top forcaster,

4in since 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Wertz wrote: »
    Starting to see a lot of low "smokey" type clouds rolling in off the Irish sea here in Dundalk (which was devoid of snowfall overnight)...the type of cloud that starts snowfall further inland. Doppler showing a nice band forming W of IoM and possibly headed this way.
    -1.3C here currently.

Same here in D4, just little bits of cloud but coming in from the sea

i know ye're prob sick of these kinds of questions, but anyone know how the roads are around middleton? going by MTs forecast, i wont be able to get out to do the big xmas shop early next week, so i'm considering doing it now before it gets worse.
    aa roadwatch hasnt any info, does that mean they arent too bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Friend just sent a quick vid from oxford. Hammering down, half a foot out his back yard already.

I guess England got all our snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Lads I want to say something here,It maybe FI but their is going to be another extremely cold spell shortly after new years day and I can confidently say their will be widespread snow-falls across the country so nobody will miss out this time & certainly stocking up would be Important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

The Schnow has schtuck in schligeach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

was listening to 96 fm there and they said the middleton to cork road is a sheet of glass... Someone rang in and said they couldn't even turn the car around to go back home!

Tesco.ie i'd say! Home delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

RJC09 wrote: »
    i know ye're prob sick of these kinds of questions, but anyone know how the roads are around middleton? going by MTs forecast, i wont be able to get out to do the big xmas shop early next week, so i'm considering doing it now before it gets worse.
    aa roadwatch hasnt any info, does that mean they arent too bad?

I would say it should be ok but take it handy and make sure you get home before dark. It's sunny now so that will help in giving a slight thaw perhaps but if you're goun to the city be very careful. Maybe head off around midday. I'm gonna go to one of the shopping centres in the suburbs - town will be mental id say

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Suns blazing but its really beginnig to cloud over from the west. Finally :P
    Better bring some 12 inches of snow between now and tomorrow :D

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    was listening to 96 fm there and they said the middleton to cork road is a sheet of glass... Someone rang in and said they couldn't even turn the car around to go back home!

thanks a million!! :D

Glenviewjf wrote: »

Ok ignore what I just said!!:eek: shows how much I know!!

leahyl wrote: »
    I would say it should be ok but take it handy and make sure you get home before dark. It's sunny now so that will help in giving a slight thaw perhaps but if you're goun to the city be very careful. Maybe head off around midday. I'm gonna go to one of the shopping centres in the suburbs - town will be mental id say

thanks a mill! i was going to go from castlemaryr to middleton just to do some groceries. was in town yesterday and it was seriously mental, so was MP. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

WC I said it all along your the man here and have being for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Delighted to wake up to this:
    139924.JPG

Two and a half weeks ago...:o

Oh no it's MELTING!!! NOOOO!!!:(.....:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Looking like BA made the right call on cancelling all Heathrow flights...that band over SE Eng is spinning up right over London.

Skies have gone blue here again...that light convection type cloud has thinned out again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement