Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

Anyone know how it's looking for Galway City? I wanted to build a snowman :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Rougies wrote: »
    Aw poor westies! Well just give us some snow today and you can have it back tomorrow ok. Then we can have it again on monday and you on tuesday, we can swap each day :D

that sounds very reasonable Rougies:)
    if you could just spare me another 2cm, so i can get to the magic figure of 30 cm, i'd be happy to let you have all the snow you want after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭henke

dacogawa wrote: »
    BAN!

Excuse me, why? I'm just giving my opinion on the snow. Sure it's fun if it's not having a negative impact on your life. I fail to see why you would enjoy it unless your depend on others to do your shoppin, or live within walking distance of a shop, or your a child who depends on their parents for that sort of thing because I did love the snow as a child. The sooner the thaw comes the better, well for the majority looking at things from a realistic viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Temperature only got up to 1.3C here today, the lowest max recorded (well joint with Nov 28th during the last cold spell) since the station was set up in 2006. Falling away fast now already, down to 0.3C.

trogdor wrote: »
    Temperature only got up to 1.3C here today, the lowest max recorded (well joint with Nov 28th during the last cold spell) since the station was set up in 2006. Falling away fast now already, down to 0.3C.

with that in mind it will be a shame, if you appreciate records being broken, if it does get significantly milder for the last few days of December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

if you could just spare me another 2cm, so i can get to the magic figure of 30 cm, i'd be happy to let you have all the snow you want after that!

Even better! Done. :)

(you cant make me jealous with your paltry 28cm btw, I remember back in the olden days about a couple of weeks ago we had over 30cm :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I can't believe people actually want snow. I hope I never see the stuff again. Donegal has a ridiculously low salt supply so it is almost impossible to get anywhere and it is a nuisance when you live out in the country and have to travel to town to buy necessary groceries. As nice as it is to look at and play with snow is far from fun.

Bring on the thaw!

Bah humbug...getting places is over-rated!
    Adopt Philip Larkin's philosophy....'I'd love to see China, but only if I can sleep in my own bed'.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Excuse me, why? I'm just giving my opinion on the snow. Sure it's fun if it's not having a negative impact on your life. I fail to see why you would enjoy it unless your depend on others to do your shoppin, or live within walking distance of a shop, or your a child who depends on their parents for that sort of thing because I did love the snow as a child. The sooner the thaw comes the better, well for the majority looking at things from a realistic viewpoint.

It was a joke, chill :cool:

If you look through my older posts i've been posting every few hours for people to look in on their older or infirm neighbors to see if they need anything

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Living in Newport, North Tipp, approx 10 miles from Limerick City. Very little snow activity a couple of weeks ago and almost nothing yet this time around. It would appear that the snow Gods do not favour us. My kids are so disappointed, especially when they see the pics from the rest of the country. Would love to know if we can expect any significant snow in the next few days. It would make the kids Xmas. Here's hoping.......

Even better! Done. :)

(you cant make me jealous with your paltry 28cm btw, I remember back in the olden days about a couple of weeks ago we had over 30cm :P)

Damn:mad: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

I'd take anything at this stage. I simply refuse to go through a cold spell with the bloody polar vortex above our heads and only get the .00001mm of what i can only describe as a thick frost on the ground!

+1000

well said rougies and I cannot believe we are as it seems in the eye of this thing and I can't even try out my new snowboots...absolutely dejected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭henke

dacogawa wrote: »
    It was a joke, chill :cool:

If you look through my older posts i've been posting every few hours for people to look in on their older or infirm neighbors to see if they need anything

Ok apologies for the over reaction there. I think being housebound is getting to me a bit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Anyone know how it's looking for Galway City? I wanted to build a snowman :o

Some nice showers moving into Galway bay now, they may fizzle our as they hit land. Hope they don't!

goodies wrote: »
    +1000

well said rougies and I cannot believe we are as it seems in the eye of this thing and I can't even try out my new snowboots...absolutely dejected

I blame the Isle of Man, it always ruins everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Ok apologies for the over reaction there. I think being housebound is getting to me a bit.:)

Dont worry about it, all that white powder does funny things to people (that was a joke o.k.)

Read a book that you've meant to for ages and sit beside the fire or do something that makes you happy, take it easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Reactor

Ive got a driving test on Thursday morning in Galway city, what do you think my chances of it being cancelled are? Is this new cold period going to last that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

when did sky news get a new weather map?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'd take anything at this stage. I simply refuse to go through a cold spell with the bloody polar vortex above our heads and only get the .00001mm of what i can only describe as a thick frost on the ground!

Bring back the easterlies I say! The north and west have had their fun!
    It's laughable! I got more precipitation when there was an anticyclone of 1040mb on top of us a few days ago.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Any idea how badly Dublin City Centre will get hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

The UK has taken all our snow, well most of it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Well if it snows in 'your location'...we're all doomed...doomed I tells ya :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

Bring back the easterlies I say! The north and west have had their fun!

I know, I said the same thing on another thread yesterday.

Given the huge instability in the atmosphere above us at the moment and all the mini lows and troughs lurking about the place it's simply amazing how calm and settled it's been in the Dublin region for the past few days. I mean today there's barely a cloud in the sky.

What annoys me so much is that you can bet your life that if we'd a set-up like this in summer it would be rain rain rain all the way but now in winter when it's cold enough to snow there's no precipitation whatsoever :mad:

ahhhhhh noooooo. the 70% chance of snow for tomorrow has vanished from weather channel.com :(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

Hey guys, is there any snow coming to limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    ahhhhhh noooooo. the 70% chance of snow for tomorrow has vanished from weather channel.com :(:(:(:(

ah no!!! is it looking like we wont get any tomorrow? i was so hoping for a top up, what we have is melting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

anyone one see that band of snow over the south of england thats causing chaos reckon thats on a course for the east coast of Ireland our will it fizzle out?

It's laughable! I got more precipitation when there was an anticyclone of 1040mb on top of us a few days ago.:confused:

We just need the wind to shift easterly and we're in business. GFS has this happening from about 18:00 today all the way through to about Tuesday night but is showing little to no precip. I think we'll get a few light-moderate showers though.

RJC09 wrote: »
    ah no!!! is it looking like we wont get any tomorrow? i was so hoping for a top up, what we have is melting!!!

i know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

Therel be a small bit of snow in the South West, South and Southeast but the Low has lost its energy now and frosty weather will dominate until the 23rd December.

Later on December 23rd and into December 24th mild Southerlies set in for 3 or 4 days before cooler but not Arctic weather returns.

Sorry snow lovers. But it was fun for a while on the rollercoaster.

Oh also some hope: Forecasts change each hour in this type of set up so my forecast could be very FI. but from a while back until now this is what Ive been seeing happening. However I did think this Polar Vortex would have more energy and snow for you guys in the East.

Still lots in Sligo (3 inches) and sky very dull all day and temperature below freezing but I dont see much more falling here anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

GUYS WHY ISNT IRISHWEATHER.COM LIVE CHAT NOT LETTING ME LOG IN?? ITS JUST SAYS LOGIN FAILED/WRONG PASSWORD:confused:
    Sorry for writing so big :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement