Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Snowing hard West coast of Connemara. I got home 12.30pm and there's been well over an inch of snow since then, most of it in the last hour alone.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my brother was supposed to coming home london today, his flight has been cancelled.

not that it made much difference, all the ring roads, trains and buses have been cancelled. he couldnt make it to the airport anyway but on a bright note it means i am no longer on taxi duty and can have drink tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Rougies wrote: »
    We just need the wind to shift easterly and we're in business. GFS has this happening from about 18:00 today all the way through to about Tuesday night but is showing little to no precip. I think we'll get a few light-moderate showers though.

The wind direction will eventually change to easterly later this evening but it may only bring a few small showers skirting along the Dublin and Wicklow coasts.

Some polar vortex this is! Unfortunately for snow lovers nationwide the shallow low in the Irish Sea and to a lesser extent west of Mayo is particularly "shallow" and is not being helped at all by the upper atmosphere winds.

I'm actually sickened by what I'm seeing on satellite and with model forecasts.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Just started to snow in Carraroe Galway , nice big flakes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Reactor

Do people think this could have cleared up by Thursday morning in Galway City? I have a driving test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

pauldry wrote: »
    Therel be a small bit of snow in the South West, South and Southeast but the Low has lost its energy now and frosty weather will dominate until the 23rd December.

Later on December 23rd and into December 24th mild Southerlies set in for 3 or 4 days before cooler but not Arctic weather returns.

Sorry snow lovers. But it was fun for a while on the rollercoaster.

Oh also some hope: Forecasts change each hour in this type of set up so my forecast could be very FI. but from a while back until now this is what Ive been seeing happening. However I did think this Polar Vortex would have more energy and snow for you guys in the East.

Still lots in Sligo (3 inches) and sky very dull all day and temperature below freezing but I dont see much more falling here anymore.
    would there be any percipitation with the southerlies pauldry that could give us a belt of snow with a frontal system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Reactor wrote: »
    Do people think this could have cleared up by Thursday morning in Galway City? I have a driving test.

I think your test will be put back,there might be a backlog if there are delays before thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

drdeadlift wrote: »
    I think your test will be put back,there might be a backlog if there are delays before thursday
    Don't think it works that way people that get cancelled get set new date for later so if weather good thursday you should still get your test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

activity off the west coast seems to making progress towards galway and clare, met.ie forecast 5-10cms from this system

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

typhooner wrote: »
    activity off the west coast seems to making progress towards galway and clare, met.ie forecast 5-10cms from this system

Looks like we are going to get another top up tonight, no thaw today unlike yesterday, the fog has been thick all day too.
    We usually just get sleet / rain when everyone else gets plastered so its a nice change.
    Hope everyone else gets some before any dreaded thaw:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I'm off to play playstation for a few hours, come on east/n east wind, we need you!

Remember to check in on your older/infirm neighbors to see if they need anything, they'll really appreciate it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

change in wind direction!Easterly now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Was out for a walk on the beach at Blackrock a while ago (inch thick ice at the tidal line)....the flat toppers are all out to sea and some of the nearest cloud appears to be hovering over the mournes. I was getting all excited and then I check the radar after getting home :( Any showers look to be either fizzling out or heading the wrong direction).
    So much for "epochal cold" and "polar hurricanes"...

Where's IoM? Place looks like it's getting plastered...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

the IOM is surely getting some right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

YEEHAW! get the party hats out? :p

have a fantastic view up here of the clouds over the sea... was out for a walk, pity i didn't bring the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Wind is still NW with me in south Louth, but breeze is lighter currently. Only beaufort force 2 I'd say.

Edit: I've checked NRA stations around the northeast. All are reporting between westerly and northerly winds. No easterly yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I have a feeling the Irish sea might deliver for us tonight and overnight.

Say from Wicklow northwards stand best chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just watched both BBC and SKY weather forecasts and neither are giving any more snow for Ireland except NE Coastal areas. Have a sneaky feeling they are right. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

no 100% easterly in midlands!so,Id imagine same for most places!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Has there been an upgrade for the east on the latest run ?:-O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Have to say, I'm bitterly disappointed with the unmeasureable dusting of snow that we got in Dublin last night! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Have to say, I'm bitterly disappointed with the unmeasureable dusting of snow that we got in Dublin last night! :D:D:D

I'd have only needed to call in a few mates to be able to count the snow grains on my car roof with fingers and toes :D

I wonder should I start a support group for those in the east who got SFA last time, those in the west who got SFA this time and those in the midlands who got SFA both times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Calibos wrote: »

I wonder should I start a support group for those in the east who got SFA last time, those in the west who got SFA this time and those in the midlands who got SFA both times?

Snowmaritans?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

very disapointing here too.

u would see more on the ground if ya ran around with a bag of sugar shaking it about...

useles polar low !!! we goina get feck all by the looks of things...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yes definate shift now in wind direction dragging precipitation toward the coast. Whether it survives is another matter! But looks good right now for later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

darkman2 wrote: »
    Yes definate shift now in wind direction dragging precipitation toward the coast. Whether it survives is another matter! But looks good right now for later this evening.

Hope your right DM2 and weathercheck, id love a little bit of snow here.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

No snow in TippTown yet but it is getting a bit overcast, hopefully there is a bit of snow in them there clouds............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

That good for Laois?

I've a feeling that will exclude south wicklow and wexford :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Just realised its the wifes birthday tomorrow,please snow so i have an excuse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement