Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

menoscemo wrote: »
    I've been think of this. Is it PUP or is it PUMP?

Well whatever u want to call it there's no way atm I'd b able to hold it for a marathon never mind a ultra :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

liamo123 wrote: »
    Well whatever u want to call it there's no way atm I'd b able to hold it for a marathon never mind a ultra :eek:

Are you counting PUP/PUMP over the full 39.3 or are you planning two paces (26.2/13.1)?
    Whats the plan for Donadea? I'm gonna try it as a PUP/PUMP run.

Have you any interest in a 30 miler on march 3rd? A crowd of us will be running from Howth to Bray (will be very slow for you but might be godd as a 'time on feet' excercise.)

Are you counting PUP/PUMP over the full 39.3 or are you planning two paces (26.2/13.1)?
    Whats the plan for Donadea? I'm gonna try it as a PUP/PUMP run.

Have you any interest in a 30 miler on march 3rd? A crowd of us will be running from Howth to Bray (will be very slow for you but might be godd as a 'time on feet' excercise.)

Plan for Ultra is still up in the air atm... If training goes well between now and then I hope to b running 7mm pace for a long as I can and basically then hang on til the end.... Plan for Donadea is 7mm pace all the way but again not sure if I'l b able to sustain it... Ran feck all in December and paying 4 it now :rolleyes:

Will keep March 3rd in mind.... Definately will b running a few 30 milers between Donadea and Ultra

Will keep March 3rd in mind.... Definately will b running a few 30 milers between Donadea and Ultra

okey doke. You ultra planned paces are pretty much like mine but a min/mile faster.
    The 30 miler should be great fun. we might have quite a big crowd.

Monday 23rd....9.97 miles....1.13.29...avg pace...7.22

Supposed to b a recovery run but could'nt resist picking it up a bit...I really should have looked at the entire weeks plan before heading off on this!!

Tuesday 24th....10.10 miles tempo....1.10.34....avg pace... 6.59

Miles 3 through 7 : 6.21, 6.22, 6.15 and 6.23.... Happy enough the way this went tough still alot of work to do... Hopefully when I run this again in 2 weeks time I can get the times down to consistant sub 6.15's....

Wednesday 25th.....15 miles...1.54.02...avg pace...7.36..

Was off today but despite my best efforts could'nt get out until 2.30.. Kept and eye on the weather forecast and knew what was coming....15 minutes into the run the poxy monsoon arrived... Rain along with the wind made for a horrible run... Arrived home looking like a drowned rat.....

• Advertisement

Thursday 26th....12.96 miles....1.39.16....avg pace 7.39...

Im sort of following one of P and D's training programmes but because of work have to swap days here and there.. Knew I could'nt run today so did another medium long run to keep the milage up instead of the 6 miles recovery... Have had some discomfort in my right calf for the last while but the pain got worse as I got to the end of this run....Quite sore last night ....

Friday 27th... Rest Day....

Calf still at me... Hopefully it will behave for tomorrows long run....

Saturday 28th....19.96 miles....2.33.41....avg pace 7.42..

Hit the trails of the PP nice and early this morning...Bloody freezing but once I warmed up really enjoyed the run... Calf a little tender but nothing to worry about...

Sunday 29th... Rest Day

Had the opportunity to run after work but tbh could'nt face going out in that weather so went for a pint instead :) Still happy enough with weeks milage...

Milage For Week : 67.99
    Milage For Year : 269.01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Where u doing all this running, liam? You're pretty close to my preferred sort of pace, so it'd be good to catch up if you're anywhere accessible?

brownian wrote: »
    Where u doing all this running, liam? You're pretty close to my preferred sort of pace, so it'd be good to catch up if you're anywhere accessible?

sorry brownian only saw this now...Do the vast majority of my running locally ( Ratoath ) but hopefully will b doing weekend long run in PP from now on tough I wont b there this coming Saturday as working nights...

• Advertisement

Monday 30th....10.01 miles...1.18.24....avg pace 7.50

Tuesday 31th....10.03 miles...1.12.31...avg pace 7.15

Wednesday 1st... 7.08 miles.. 53.13...avg pace 7.31....

Thursday 2nd...17.5 miles....2.07.48....avg pace 7.18...

Wasnt feeling great before this run and knew I had a dose coming on but hoped I sweat it out of me ... Didnt work and sick all weekend ...

Friday 3rd through Sunday 5th...Rest Days

Milage For Week : 44.62
    Milage For Year : 313.63

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

sorry brownian only saw this now...Do the vast majority of my running locally ( Ratoath ) but hopefully will b doing weekend long run in PP from now on tough I wont b there this coming Saturday as working nights...

No worries. Tend to be finding myself doing longer runs on Sundays lately. But let me know if you're heading out anyway, if it suits.

Monday 6th through Sunday 12th..... 43.16 miles

Week started well enough but due to unforeseen circumstances no running at the weekend... Two weeks of bad milage in a row.. Need to up it ...

Milage For Week : 43.16
    Milage For Year : 356.79

Monday 6th through Sunday 12th..... 43.16 miles

Week started well enough but due to unforeseen circumstances no running at the weekend... Two weeks of bad milage in a row.. Need to up it ...

Milage For Week : 43.16
    Milage For Year : 356.79

All set for saturday Liamo? (yes, it's on this saturday :pac:)

All set for saturday Liamo? (yes, it's on this saturday :pac:)

Yep i'l b there alright :D

Monday 13th....12.08 miles....1.26.46... Avg pace 7.11...

Tuesday 14th....10.02 miles...1.13.48.....Avg pace 7.22

Wednesday 15th...7.77 miles...58.49... Avg pace 7.34

Thursday 16th... Rest Day

Friday 17th...6.11 miles...50.36...Avg pace 8.17

Have a slight chest infection for the last week or so that I just cant shift ... Pity cause I was really looking forward to giving Donadea a lash tomorrow....Will wait til the start line before I decide what my plan of action is...

Saturday 18th.... Donadea 50K...3.52.07...Avg Pace 7.28....

Reality Bites Liamo On The Ass

The few days prior to this run were far from ideal. I had a slight chest infection and was a bit under the weather. However there was no way I was missing this so despite Mrs L's protests I got up nice and early Saturday morning, had a good breakfast. plenty of fluids and off I headed to Donadea.

I didnt really want to run this on my own so from looking on the Donadea thread I saw I had two possible options :
    Follow TFBubendorfer ( 7.45mm til halfway and 7.15mm until the end )
    or
    Follow Krusty ( 7.12mm til mile 20 and then 6.50mm from there )... Given the way I was feeling tagging along with TFB would have been the sensible option but Liamo in his wisdom decided that KC's plan was the one so shortly after 10am we were off...

Laps 1 through 6 : Not a problem, everything was hunky dory. Had a great chat with KC, the laps flew by and even tough we were running closer to 7mm pace all was good. Near the end of lap 5 we caught up with Jeffontour whom I had'nt met before so it was nice to have a chat with him. My garmin for some reason died on lap 6 but this wasnt an issue as I was pacing off the two lads....

Lap 7.... Things started to go pearshaped for me halfway through this lap with no warning. Energy levels dipped significantly and I struggled to keep pace with the two lads. They quickly moved ahead and at this stage I knew I was frigged....

Lap 8.... Complete and utter disaster, wheels came off completely. My chest tightened up, got cold and was basically feeling crap. With about 1K to go on this lap I decided I was goting to pull up once I crossed the finish line. I dont know if it was embarrassment or the fact that I had'nt even completed marathon distance ( probably a mixture of both ) but on crossing the line I continued on..

Lap 9... A short distance into this lap I met up with Oisin11178 who was pacing the 5hr cutoff. I had a chat with Frank for a while before moving on and this seemed to steady the ship a bit....

Lap 10.... Last lap thank God so didnt give a sh!t. Just plodded around as fast as my body would allow. The irony of the whole think was with 1.5k to go the legend that is TFB ghosted by me looking fresh as a daisy.. The fecker :D. Of course I tried to follow him but just could'nt up the pace. Got to the finish line and was just so relieved it was over....

Was bloody freezing so didnt hang around. Straight home to lick my wounds!!

Reflection... I've had a couple of days to think about what went wrong so here it goes :

( 1 ).... Feeling under the weather was definately a factor but I'd b foolish to blame my performance solely on this. The reality is I've basically not trained hard enough for the last couple of months. Took it easy on too many occasions and as a result I naively thought I was in better shape..

( 2 ) Nutrition... Cant put my finger on it atm but my race day nutrition for events longer than marathon distance is lacking something. Will have to figure it out between now and Conn....

( 3) Pacing.. Im going to have to reevaluate my target time for Conn. Will definately start off slower than I had intended and c how I progress....

On the plus side Im still happy I ran this. Very valuable lessons learned that I will take with me to future events...Also I could have taken the easy way out and retired at the end of lap 8 but stuck at it... Im definately mentally stronger now!!! ( and yes im off the Cigs for good this time )

Big thanks to Anto and his crew for staging this great race. Its easy to turn up on the day and compete but alot of work goes on in the background so take a bow lads and ladies :)

Sunday 19th.... Rest Day

Milage For Week : 67.08
    Milage For Year : 423.87

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

hard luck liamo. we all have oof days and it wasnt your goal race. illness cant have helped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You looked in some state when you passed me. Note I say 'passed' me, I was still feeling great and you still shuffled by me you fecker. :)

hard luck liamo. we all have oof days and it wasnt your goal race. illness cant have helped.

tks TBB... still time to get things right before Conn... Good to see u back.. Have u decided what ur plan is for April 1st ???
    You looked in some state when you passed me. Note I say 'passed' me, I was still feeling great and you still shuffled by me you fecker. :)

Yep I've felt better alright!! I actually remarked to myself that u looked fresh as I passed.. Pity about the stitch but still great going.. Well done....

• Advertisement

Monday 20th... Body still in a heap....

Tuesday 21st....5.08 miles....42.03.... Avg pace 8.17...

Wednesday 22nd....7.21 miles...57.40... Avg pace 8......

Thursday 23rd...9.08 miles....1.10.18... Avg pace... 7.45

Legs dont feel too bad now so hopefully get a long run in over the weekend...

Friday 24th....12.24 miles....1.29.08...avg pace 7.17..

Saturday 25th....18.22 miles....2.20.14...avg pace 7.42...

Sunday 36th... Rest Day

Milage For Week : 51.83
    Milage For Year : 475.70

Friday 24th....12.24 miles....1.29.08...avg pace 7.17..

Saturday 25th....18.22 miles....2.20.14...avg pace 7.42...

Sunday 36th... Rest Day

Milage For Week : 51.83
    Milage For Year : 475.70

Hey Liamo, I don't suppose you fancy a really slow paced 30 miler on saturday?

Hey Liamo, I don't suppose you fancy a really slow paced 30 miler on saturday?

Cant make it Meno... missus is away on hen weekend... Wouldnt mind I signed up for the half marathon in Bohermeen ages ago and was sure it was Sunday week ( i'l never learn :rolleyes: )... Im hoping to do a 30 miler on Thursday if the body is able.......

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Best of luck in Connemara Liamo. I think the chest infection had an impact on your Donadea run but you seemed to have bounced back with your mileage last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Cant make it Meno... missus is away on hen weekend... Wouldnt mind I signed up for the half marathon in Bohermeen ages ago and was sure it was Sunday week ( i'l never learn :rolleyes: )... Im hoping to do a 30 miler on Thursday if the body is able.......

Myself and a mate are meeting at 1pm in the Park on Friday for a 30 miler @ approx 5:45-6:00/km pace if that suited time-wise?
    I know it'll be very slow for yourself but sure if you're interested let us know.

tks TBB... still time to get things right before Conn... Good to see u back.. Have u decided what ur plan is for April 1st ???

Yeah im just going to run the half with a mate and have a few beers the night before :)

Im just getting back to regular running now and couldnt handle anything more than that unfortunately at the moment

belcarra wrote: »
    Myself and a mate are meeting at 1pm in the Park on Friday for a 30 miler @ approx 5:45-6:00/km pace if that suited time-wise?
    I know it'll be very slow for yourself but sure if you're interested let us know.

Tks Belcarra... Saw that alright but not around Friday unfortunately....
    Yeah im just going to run the half with a mate and have a few beers the night before :)

Go easy on the Jammie :D

Monday 27th.... 10.24 miles....1.11.51...avg pace 7.01...

Tuesday 28th....10.31 miles...1.18.41...avg pace 7.38....

Wednesday 29th... 7.03 miles....55.18...avg pace 7.52...

• Advertisement

Go easy on the Jammie :D

I always do ;)

Great run on monday there

Advertisement