Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Delighted for you liamo. Strong as an ox and a superb time!! Enjoyed the report as well. You make this marathon PB business look easy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Liam fair play to ya. Great running enjoyed the beers and war stories. I know how you could run pick up the pace with those last few miles by the way but that's another days waffling ;) great stuff again. Your mrs genuinely seemed to have a great day. The weather always helps in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great report and super time, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Brilliant stuff Liamo. Congratulations and fair play to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

That's a fabulous time and you are so casual about it. I have been there and I know its not as easy as you make it out to be. You literally sweat to maintain target pace for every KM on that course.
    I suspect you are still running within yourself to some extent and we will see a sub 2:50 fairly shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Great running there Liam, plenty more to come I´d say!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Monday 26th through Wednesday 28th ........ Rest Days...

Woke up Monday morning in a heap...Aches and pain in places I didnt know existed and a bit of a chest infection.. Not much better Tuesday but felt alot better today.... Legs not hurting near as much as they were so will go out for a few easy miles tomorrow...

Future Plans

Going to tip away until my pacing duties for DCM which Im really looking forward to ... Will then take a bit of a rest before I get ready 4 my date with the rolling hills of Connemara in April... These said hills tore me to shreads earlier in the year so Im determined to b alot better prepared for 2012 and give the Ultra a right good lash...

After Conn Im not to sure what my plans are... Initially I was going to tackle either the 24Hr race in Belfast or the Conn 100 miler but my experience in Berlin has really got me thinking about targetting another marathon which would mean knocking above races on the head... Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

Back to Berlin ...Id highly recommend this marathon.... Great course in a great city and logistically on marathon day it has to b one of the easiest places to get to and go from... I believe registration for 2012 opens in the next couple of weeks so sign up :eek:

Once again tks for all the nice comments pre and post marathon... Really appreciate them.....

opus wrote: »
    Great running there Liam, plenty more to come I´d say!

Cracking run urself... Uve made huge strides in the last 12 mths and I reckon ur not quite finished yet..Sub 2.50 London 2012 ;) Enjoy the remainder of ur hols....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

liamo123 wrote: »

Back to Berlin ...Id highly recommend this marathon.... Great course in a great city and logistically on marathon day it has to b one of the easiest places to get to and go from... I believe registration for 2012 opens in the next couple of weeks so sign up :eek:

I agree Berlin sells itself well and most importantly my wife loves the city aswell, I have a reminder in my phone for the 10th of October. I've already booked the Berlin half in April :D

I'd love to see you concentrate on the marathon as you obviously have a talent for running and I'd imagine you'd do some damage to that PB next year.

Woddle wrote: »
    I agree Berlin sells itself well and most importantly my wife loves the city aswell, I have a reminder in my phone for the 10th of October. I've already booked the Berlin half in April :D

Great for a visit. Try living there for two years while working with agressive germans. You fall out of love pretty fast :)

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »

I'd love to see you concentrate on the marathon as you obviously have a talent for running and I'd imagine you'd do some damage to that PB next year.

Nice one....It definately helps with training when uve a foreign trip to look forward too....

As regards another marathon I think ur right....... Will concentrate on Conn Ultra first but will probably tackle another marathon then.... Really need to change alot of things to progress tough... Have to concentrate on working on my basic speed and also have once and for all to give up the fags.. Dreadful habbit and needs to b knocked on the head....

Great for a visit. Try living there for two years while working with agressive germans. You fall out of love pretty fast :)

Funny u should that.. My missus for some reason couldnt take to the locals at all..... Errr wonder if u might consider a return visit on the last week of Sept 2012 ??? Might b a trip well worth taking :D

Might be a plan - tackle conn together and then take on Berlin*

*Warning: I am a peaceful soul generally but am liable to punch any german runner who tries that HAAAALLOOOOOO crap on me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Might be a plan - tackle conn together and then take on Berlin*

*Warning: I am a peaceful soul generally but am liable to punch any german runner who tries that HAAAALLOOOOOO crap on me
    Liamo well done mate.
    If you think conn was hard get upto belfast for the 24 hour. In years to come ill settle down to 1 or 2 marathons a year but there is nothing better than pushing the endurance boundries. No feeling like it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

nice going liamo, very good time....mile 14 was a nice injection of pace mid way....

Thursday 29th....6.53 miles....53.52....avg pace...8.15....

Stopped in PP after work and nice slow run on the trails..... Legs feel good with all the soreness gone....

Friday 30th....5.61 miles....45.11....avg pace.....8.03.....

Local run before heading to my brother in laws wedding.... Nice feeling when u dont have to worry about lsr of other session in the morning!!

Saturday 1st.....5.62 miles...45.53....avg pace 8.10....

Got out in the lashing rain late morning ... After the wedding my head was a bit fuzzy but the few miles in the heavy rain sorted it out....

Sunday 2nd... Rest Day....

Milage For Last Two Weeks : 67.61
    Milage For Year : 1825.84

Monday 3rd through Sunday 9th....

Right lazy sod for the last week... Ran the grand total of 20.55 miles.... Time to get the finger out !!!

Milage For Week : 20.55
    Milage For Year : 1846.39

Monday 10th.....7.95 miles....57.07....avg pace....7.11....

1st outing of the year around the paths of the local village... Wet and windy but a lovely run...there's something about running at night that appeals to me.....Longest run since Berlin and felt nice and strong ....

Bit of updating to do so here it goes :

Tuesday 11th.....5.61 miles...40.18...avg pace...7.11

Wednesday 12th...8.09 miles....1.00...avg pace...7.30

Thursday 13th...6.07 miles...45.47...avg pace..7.33

Friday 14th.... Rest Day...

Saturday 15th....11.21 miles...1.20.32...avg pace...7.11

Sunday 16th...5.66 miles...40.33...avg pace....7.10

Nothing too long last week but all run at good enough pace ...

Milage For Week : 46.03....
    Milage For Year : 1886.42...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

How many cigarettes do you smoke a day ?? I find when I smoke 7 min miles become 7.40s etc........What do you smoke ?? Too run a 2.52 marathon is great but to do it while smoking takes the mick out of the rest of us.

How many cigarettes do you smoke a day ?? I find when I smoke 7 min miles become 7.40s etc........What do you smoke ?? Too run a 2.52 marathon is great but to do it while smoking takes the mick out of the rest of us.

Err this is embarrassing :mad:.... Smoke the guts of 20 a days.. Silk Cut Purple.. Coming up to a marathon ( nerves etc) u can add another 5 or so onto that.... So silly I know but no willpower whatsoever... Going to try and knock them on the head again soon for purely financial reasons... In the current economic climate I cant justify spending so much money on the fuc!ers.... Hopefully come Conn Ultra I'l have a new set of lungs so I can give it a right go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Err this is embarrassing :mad:.... Smoke the guts of 20 a days.. Silk Cut Purple.. Coming up to a marathon ( nerves etc) u can add another 5 or so onto that.... So silly I know but no willpower whatsoever... Going to try and knock them on the head again soon for purely financial reasons... In the current economic climate I cant justify spending so much money on the fuc!ers.... Hopefully come Conn Ultra I'l have a new set of lungs so I can give it a right go :)

What you reckon you would have ran in berlin if you werent smoking for say 6 months. Gave them up today myself AGAIN.
    i PACED A 3.15 THIS YEAR AFTER 20 the day before and it felt easy two weeks after a marathon but if i had to break 3 that day i wouldnt have smoked the day before.

• Advertisement

Got lazy with my log recently so better update it briefly.....

Monday 17th - Sunday 23rd..... 33.17 miles for week

Monday 24th - Sunday 30th..... 22.89 miles for week

Monday 31st.... 26.44 miles.....3.14.43... Avg Pace 7.22

I along with Krusty and LeCheile were the 3.15 pacers for DCM ..... It was my 1st time pacing a marathon but I knew I was in safe hands with the two lads...Krusty took the lead for the majority of the run with LeCheile taking the rear and yours truly basically floating in between ....This strategy worked a treat and I was surprised how many we had following us around..... Really enjoyable experience, the crowds were great and there was plenty of banter within our group .... Definately something I'd do again...

Tuesday 1st and Wednesday 2nd........Rest days

Thursday 3rd..... 5.61 miles...43.11...Avg Pace 7.42

Friday 4th.....6.21 miles...47.11....Avg Pace 7.36...

Saturday 5th....4.89 miles...38.23...Avg Pace 7.51...

Sunday 6th... Rest Day....

Next week I will take it nice and easy again ... Plan then is to work hard on my basic speed but also to continue with 20 mile ish runs at the weekend....

Milage For Week : 43.15
    Milage For Year : 1985.64

Time For Liamo to get the finger out :rolleyes:

Sunday 1st .....8.39 miles....1.04.38....Avg pace 7.42...

Run around local roads....

Monday 2nd....9.53 miles .....1.13.04...Avg pace 7.40...

Hit the trails in PP after work....

Been a lazy sod recently... Serious lack of motivation so basically no running in December.... Mojo back a bit so back with a bang ( well more of a whimper :) ).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

[

Been a lasy sod recently... Serious lack of motivation so basically no running in December.... Mojo back a bit so back with a bang ( well more of a whimper :) ).....

Glad to see you back, thought we'd lost you :p. Are you still on for Donadea and Conn?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Glad to see you back, thought we'd lost you :p. Are you still on for Donadea and Conn?

Yep Conn is still my main objective so will use Donadea as a training run.....Alot of work to do in the next few months but glad I took the rest....... 24 hr race in Bangor also part of the plan for 2012 :D

Tuesday 3rd.....6 miles....46.34....avg pace 7.47...

Wednesday 4th.....4.24 miles...31.32....avg pace 7.26...

Headed out in terrible conditions and chickened out of longer run.... Got a belated Xmas present in the post ; P and D's Advanced Marathoning and am enjoying the read.. Plenty of tips and advice... Have decided to follow the 70 to 85 mile 12 week plan for Conn.. Looking forward to seeing how this workes for me...

Thursday 5th....11.9 miles steady ....1.29.00.... avg pace 7.29...

1st of the P and D runs in relatively good weather conditions...

Friday 6th... 6 miles recovery...48.03... avg pace 8....

From now on im going to keep the pace of recovery runs no slower the 8 mm...

Saturday 7th.... 17 miles....2.03.08.. avg pace 7.15

Not sure if I can run tomorrow so did this today....Last 7 miles of this was run at 7mm pace.... Im probably being very ambitious but the plan from now to Conn is to run MP or should I say UP at 7mm.... Other runs in the plan for eg Lactate Threshold I plan on running as if I was training for a marathon....

Ive lost alot of fitness in the last few weeks as miles 14 through 17 were a right slog but my hunger seems to b back so onwards and upwards :)

Sunday 8th..... Rest Day...

Monday 9th.... 9.97 miles easy...1.18.53....Avg pace 7.55

Tuesday 10th....10.02 miles tempo....1.11.31...Avg pace 7.08

Wasnt a great run..... Miles 4 through 7 : 6.12, 6.07, 6.16 and 6.25...... Struggled badly for last 2 miles.... Work in progress :rolleyes:

Wednesday 11th....10.02 miles ...1.14.15...avg pace...7.25

Thursday 12th......6.05 miles.... 47.37...avg pace...7.52

Friday 13th....12.48 miles...1.35.48...avg pace 7.41....

Ran this around trails of PP and destroyed another pair of runners in the process !!

Saturday 14th.....18 miles...2.16.16...avg pace 7.34...

Ran 2 loops on the roads/paths around the PP... Took in the inclines of Infirmary Rd, Knockmarooon Hill and the Kyber on each loop...1st loop nice and easy , picked it up for the 2nd..

Sunday 15th....Rest Day....

Milage For Week : 66.55....
    Milage For Year : 129.61

Monday 16th.... Morning 6.06 miles....48.29....avg pace 8
    Evening 5.71 miles...44.55.....avg pace 7.52

Tuesday 17th....10.10 miles....1.12.36...avg pace 7.11..
    Explored new local route with a few inclines... Nice run...

Wednesday 18th....12.81 miles....1.36.24...avg pace 7.31

Thursday 19th....7.78 miles....1.02.09....avg pace 7.59

Friday 20th....10.03 miles...1.18.43...avg pace 7.51..

Ran this around trails of PP....Footing alot better than last week so not too much slipping and sliding... Heavy going all the same and felt harder that pace would suggest..

Saturday 21st....18.92 miles....2.18.16....avg pace 7.18...

Two loops on local roads... ran PUP for mile 10 onwards... Again fking wind made this tough one

Sunday 22nd.... Rest Day

Milage For Week :71.41
    Milage For Year : 201.02

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ran PUP for mile 10 onwards..

I've been think of this. Is it PUP or is it PUMP?

Advertisement