Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hope it clears up Liamo, sure you can run it off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Almost There!

Monday 2nd through Thursday 5th........ Rest Days

Stuck to my word so no running for the last few days. Hip seems to have improved so fingers crossed all will b ok ....

Have to say Im really looking forward to this injury or no injury. Paul a friend of mine is also running so between us we're bringing enough food to feed an army along with essentials like High5 4 : 1 , Hi5 Zero electrolyte and magnesium carb tabs and various energy bars.

As the weather forecast is not great I've packed basically everything except the kitchen sink! : 4 pairs of runners, 6 pairs of socks, numerous tops , two sets of rain gear , hats etc along with 2 ipods.

Have 4 plans of action depending on how things transpire :

Plan A : 30 mins run ( well jog ) and 5 mins walk for a long as possible. Am hoping that I wont have to leave the track except for toilet breaks etc

Plans B and C :If the situation arises when I just need to take a break or quick kip so b it .

Plan D : Involves beer and fags...Not going to happen ( I bloody hope!!)

As regards a goal ,100 miles min is what Im looking for. If for some reason I dont get over 100 I'l b gutted but hopefully when the sh!t hits the fan I can dig deep and just keep going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Best of luck liamo - hope the hip holds up for you
    look forward to the report

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of Luck Liamo! Hope you hit the century and more!

Best of luck liamo - hope the hip holds up for you
    look forward to the report

Tks alot TBB... at this stage I just want to b on the start line... the sooner it starts the sooner it finishes :D

• Advertisement

Best of luck. Don't forget to pack yer smokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck Liamo I'll be following online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with it, Liamo.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

run free and happy liam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Best of luck liam123!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck.

4hrs in now. Last year we got a live internet feed of positions, can't find anything this year, just the twitter feed:
    https://twitter.com/#!/energia24

hows liam doing in the 24hr,cant find any updates for this

Liam has 71 miles done

edit: as of an hour ago anyway. Seems he's still going strong anyway.

hows liam doing in the 24hr,cant find any updates for this

Liamo has had to pull out after completing 75ish miles. 3 visits to the physio have not helped an injured hip and he had to take the sensible decision.

i have nothing but respect for him,he had the balls to turn up and give it a go even though he was injured,and still managed to run what most of us would manage to run in a week

Well done Liam, 75 miles is awesome - watched Aisling go through the 100 mile point. Looks like it was tough with the bad weather too. Good going.

Well done Liam, 75 miles is awesome - watched Aisling go through the 100 mile point. Looks like it was tough with the bad weather too. Good going.

+1 well done liamo the guts of three straight marathons is very impressive: especially when injured!
    Enjoy the pints and get yourself healthy again soon

Tks so much folks for the kind messages pre and post race. Very disappointed and upset how the race turned out. I hate quitting anything but had to take the sensible option before I did some long lasting damage....Is going to take a couple of weeks for me to get over this physically and mentally. Will do a report sometime in the future .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Was lovely to meet you Liam and was such a pleasure seeing you attain such a huge tally given all the negative elements thrown in your face.
    I suspect you have unfinished business here and will visit this mad ultra business again .I look forward to running a few miles with you in the future, if I can keep up.

Speedy recovery to you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It was nice to see you again Liam, but you were really unfortunate with that injury. I have total respect for the way you kept going for hours despite your troubles. You must have been in a very dark place at times, I could see how much you were suffering.

You will emerge stronger from this.

how is the recovery going liam?

how is the recovery going liam?

Time for Liamo to start logging again...

Monday 6th through Sunday 12th.. 32.67 miles

My hip was in bits for about 10 days after Bangor . Took time off work and basically hobbled around the place. Got a fair bit of treatment and was told to take a month off so thats what I did. Was delighted to get back on the roads but unfortunately im still not right. Hip is still giving me a little grief but not enough to stop me running if that makes sense.

Monday 13th...... 7.38 miles....56.34... avg pace 7.40

Tuesday 14th....10 miles...1.18.18...avg pace 7.50

Wednesday 15th...7.76 miles...58.50... avg pace 7.35

Thursday 16th....Rest Day

Friday 17th.....9.94 miles...1.16.22...avg pace 7.41

Saturday 18th... Rest Day

Baby steps at the moment. Ive lost so much fitness with my months inactivity its all about building up slowly especially when im not running pain free.

Sorry Im only replying now folks

Was lovely to meet you Liam and was such a pleasure seeing you attain such a huge tally given all the negative elements thrown in your face.
    I suspect you have unfinished business here and will visit this mad ultra business again .I look forward to running a few miles with you in the future, if I can keep up.

Speedy recovery to you .

Nice to meet u too Finn .. Have to say I was'nt expecting to c u in ur party dress ready for action. U gave u all a welcome boost :) Well done on a great performance and maybe just maybe I'l c u there again next year...
    It was nice to see you again Liam, but you were really unfortunate with that injury. I have total respect for the way you kept going for hours despite your troubles. You must have been in a very dark place at times, I could see how much you were suffering.

You will emerge stronger from this.

Tks Thomas... Really enjoyed reading u report and well done again. However I dont believe for a minute that ur finished with this 24 hr stuff. Ul have to give it another lash next year :D Best of luck in Dingle

glad to see you back kid,to much talent to be sitting on your arse:)

Good to see you back Liam. I was getting a little worried there with Beebeep a little injured and no word from you. I was hoping not to have to pace the 1:40 crew on my own in the Dublin Half :p

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good to see you back Liam. I was getting a little worried there with Beebeep a little injured and no word from you. I was hoping not to have to pace the 1:40 crew on my own in the Dublin Half :p

Tks Meno...took a break from running and as a result posting.... Just read ur Pm's now... Not sure if i can meet beforehand but will definately b there on the day...

Time to get this log up and running once again ....

Basically I had a little setback mid August but thankfully Ive been tipping away nicely for the last 3 weeks averaging 40ish miles per week. Hip is almost perfect again but my fitness levels are cat :eek:.

Paced 1.40 at Saturdays DCM Half with BeepBeep67 and Meno. Really enjoyable run . We had a good crew with us the whole way around and compared to 2011 we had no real problems with the slower runners in wave 1. The backpack also worked a treat. For the 1st 7 or so miles I ran up front with BeepBeep and Meno took the rear. I the swapped with Meno . Was talking to a couple of work colleagues at the start including my boss but hadnt seen them in the pack so wanted to make sure they were still in tow. Thankfully they were still with us . We banked a little time before hitting the S-Bends where things got a little difficult for some for our entourage. For the next 3 mile miles it was all about encouraging those who were struggling. To b fair most of them dug deep and got home just under 1.40 which was great including my boss who made it in 1.39.50 so delighted for him.

Another 10 slow miles followed on Sunday.

Milage For Year : 1702.66

Hope to add a bit of structure to my training in the next couple of weeks and looking forward to my pacing duties at DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

The 3 of you did a great job on Saturday. I stuck with you all the way around. :)

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    The 3 of you did a great job on Saturday. I stuck with you all the way around. :)

Great stuff , well done..... From reading ur report it seems u could have gone slightly quicker so great confidence booster for DCM.. No pressure or anything but this time 6 weeks u'l hopefully b celebrating a 3.29.xx ;)

Advertisement