Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options
  • 13-12-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I decided today was a good time to start my 1st training log for the following reasons :
    (1) Finally ,at last and thank God I've cracked the habbit and gave up the smokes..( will now use my cigarette money to finance my various future marathon plans )
    (2) I decided to give the body a rest when the bad weather arrived and as a result today was my 1st run in about 11 days and
    (3) Im not very good at keeping notes of my training so this log will hopefully inprove that..

Background:

Im 39 years old and started running in March 09 when I got roped in running the Chicago marathon for The Marie Keating Foundation.. ( At the time it was the taught of a week away from the Whipper Snappers rather than the marathon that convinced me to sign up :D ).. Anyway I arrived home to tell the OH my plans and from memory her reply went something like " Your going where.... to do what.....Jez sure u can't run to the shops how do u expect to run 26 miles.... I think ur having a Mid Life Crisis!!!..."

To start my training was very basic and I used to run every second day. Gradually I became fitter and the weight fell off me but it was only when I got to sample the whole Marathon Experience in Chicago that my passion for running really took off..I've basically been running constantly since and am loving every minute of it..

Marathons Done:

September 2009 : Chicago 3.27.xx
    October 2009 : Dublin 3.26.xx
    March 2010 : Barcelona 3.21.04
    September 2010 : Berlin 3.04.52
    October 2010 : Dublin 2.59.02

Next up for me is Barcelona again in March 2011.. I loved the experience last year, its a nice city and the course is mostly flat. Then its the Conn Ultra in April but this training log is focused entirely on Barcelona.. When its done I'll then try and figure out how to get around Conn :rolleyes:

As regards training plans Im going to use Hidgon's Advance Marathon Plan as a template and add a few little variations of my own..

Looking back on the slagging I got from my OH I think she was right... It was probably the start of a " Mid Life Crisis " but as I dont like Tatoo's , cant ride a Motorbike and most certainally dont have the time or indeed money for an Affair , Running seemed the only logical path :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Today Monday 13th : Wall of the Park with a slight variation..

This is one of my favourite runs...I parked up outside Garda HQ and headed off on the trails towards Castleknock Gate.. The trails were very muddy and there was still ice in various spots so had to b careful at times.. Headed down the S- Bends and when I got to the Kyber pass I ran up it at about 5k pace..This turned pearshaped about half way up when I was met with about 300m of total ice so slowed down and vered onto the grass bank ..Got top the top and then headed back the in the general direction of the car..

8 miles approx in 1.01.11....Legs felt heavy but it was great to b back running..

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Looks like you have a similar background and motivation in taking up running to me. I will follow your log with interest.
    What time are you targeting in Barcelona?

There are a few ways of tackling the Conn Ultra - the short Ultra or long Marathon - which you seem to be going with. I think it can be run well off purely marathon training but you will still be recovering from Barcelona whilst tackling it and a lot depends on quickly you can recover from it.

mithril wrote: »
    Looks like you have a similar background and motivation in taking up running to me. I will follow your log with interest.
    What time are you targeting in Barcelona?

There are a few ways of tackling the Conn Ultra - the short Ultra or long Marathon - which you seem to be going with. I think it can be run well off purely marathon training but you will still be recovering from Barcelona whilst tackling it and a lot depends on quickly you can recover from it.

Tks for the advice Mithril..The fact that ive run a couple of previous marathons in quick succession should hopefully stand to me..

As regards a target time for Barca I dont have a specific time in mind....my plan atm is very simple...Weather permitting if I can continue training outdoors my plan is to follow the 3Hr pacers until 28k and then push on from there.. Great in theory but alot can happen between now and March!!

Tuesday 14th.. 12.5 miles approx on trails in Pheonix Park : 1.39.54

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck with the log and training for barca. I like the name of the log Liamo.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 15th...Sick of slip sliding around the trails for the last 2 days so stayed on the paths in Park.. 8 miles approx : 1.01.53

Thursday 16th....5 laps of Fairyhouse Racecourse..8.75 miles 1.06.02..

Fairyhouse is beside my house so I train there regularly..Like all racecourses its windy at the best of times but this morning there was a gale blowing.. 15 minutes into run came a shower of hailstones.. They got so bad I was going to pack it in but as quickly as they arrived they disappeared .. Hard workout in the conditions.. In such a rush to get home and showered I forget to do some stretches.. Paying for it now..Stiff as a poker!!

Friday 17th....4.5 miles 34.22....

Didnt have much spare time on my hands with work and a Xmas party to attend but managed a few miles on my local roads... 1st time I was able to run on the roads in weeks but looking at the state of them today it might b a while before there safe to run again..

Saturday 18th......Had great intentions to run today. Surely if the cast of " Born to Run " can do 30 or so miles in the mountains of Mexico after a nite of beer , I could do 10 miles after a few pints of Heineken.. Sadly no as Im a sick puppy today so day off.......

Sunday 19th...10.5 miles approx......1.21.46

Went down to the local college and ran numerous laps of the football fields..Beautiful morning for a run... Enjoyable if a little boring....

52 miles approx for the week...My objective for the week after 11 days of inactivity was to get the miles back in the legs..Reasonably happy with week tough I really should have done a few miles yesterday... Current cold snap doesent seem to b as bad in East as predicted so hopefully I can get a bit of variety into next weeks training...

Monday 20th....Intervals around Fairyhouse Racecourse..

Bitter cold but nice morning for a run..
    Session consisted of :
    1.75 mile warmup
    5 * 1mile interval runs followed .75 mile slow jog....6.36, 6.36, 6.34, 6.51 and 6.25..( First .5 mile flat and second slightly uphill and into wind ) and .75 cooldown

Put alot of effort into these runs but was disappointed with times..Since I took up running I've always struggled with the quicker stuff. ( might sound silly but a 10k/10 mile race takes more out of me than a marathon )..hense my PB's for above distances are not very good...

This was the hardest session I've put in since DCM..

Summary 9 miles...1.17.59

• Advertisement

Tuesday 21th through Monday 27th...Sweet Fk all... Between weather and work didnt get out at all.......Very annoying but no point getting too worried about it..Onwards and upwards!

Tuesday 28th....4.5 miles 33.02... Ran one loop of local roads... Hopefully we've seen the last of the terrible weather and I can now progress with the training..

Wednesday 29th....2 laps of local roads... 9 miles..1.05.14

I do the majority of my training on a 4.5mile loop around where I live ( weather permitting ).... Lovely mild morning for a run...ran approx 7.30 pace pm except for mile 4-5... 6.50 and mile 6-7...6.32..

Thursday 30th...Enforced rest day due to migrane....Luckily In dont get them as much as I used to but when I get one thats me fuc!ed so nothing doing...

Friday 31th..........13.5 mile tempo run....1.40.21

1st mile was 8.05 and gradually picked it up....Miles 6 through 9 were : 7.05, 6.53, 6.55 and 7.07.. Tough session..Im not where I'd like to b atm but hopefully I can improve in the remaining 8 or so weeks or else I'l struggle to break 3 hrs in Barcelona....

Saturday 1st January... 5.75 miles.......44.20..

Nice relaxing run to start the New Year before I had 2 go to work..

Sunday 2nd January...8 miles approx...1.01.46..

Ran the walls of Pheonix Park, up Kyber Pass and down Chesterfield Ave.. Was wearing Santa's gift a new pair of GT2150's and did great job of keeping them clean until approx 800m from home when trying to avoid mucky ground I ran into a swamp!! They're now destroyed.. Oh well must get the OH an old toothbrush and get her scrubbing!!

40.75 miles for week....
    13.75 miles for year ( well its a start anyway )

Monday 3rd....3* 4.5mile loops on roads around the house..

1st loop : 8min mile pace
    2nd loop :7.30min pace
    3rd loop : 7min pace

Very cold this morning so took while to warm up..Enjoyable run to start week with....

13.5 miles..........1.40.10

Tuesday 4th.....5.75 miles....44.49

Wednesday 5th...Rest Day

Thursday 6th....8 miles with 6 miles at 6.50 pace.....57.02...Im finding these run really tough atm...

Friday 7th......12 miles.....1.31.58..

First 4.5miles slow but then speeded up....

Have busy weekend ahead work and family wise so not sure how many more miles I will run this week

Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th......... No running...

32.25 miles for the week...
    46 miles for the year...

Its time to get the finger out or Barca will b a nightmare...

Monday 10th....11.5 miles approx.........1.31.27.....wet and miserable but mild..

Important week for me...I have to greatly improve my commitment and not take the easy way out after long workdays..

Tuesday 11th.......Got ready to head off 4 tempo run tis morning but when I got out on the road I felt a sharp pain on my right instep..Continued 4 a short distance but decided to stop..I've never had anything like this before.. Will try again tomorrow and if its the same I will seek advice......

• Advertisement

Wednesday 12th........Right foot far from ideal but decided on 9 steady miles....1.08.57

Will have to take every day as it comes and if pain continues will get it checked out

Thursday 13th.....5.75 miles........40.02......

Half mile warm up followed by sets of 3mins fast with 90sec slow jog in between and half mile cooldown...

Friday 14th....rest day.. I had planned on going to Waterford on Saturday but a late call from work knocked that on the head...

Saturday 15th......9 miles...1.03.20...Nice hard run in difficult conditions..Exactly what I needed..

Sunday 16th.......18 miles........2.20.30... My 1st LSR since Dublin...

53.75 miles for the week
    99.75 miles for year...

After bad start 2 the week with injury scare I recovered well and hopefully I can progress more next week...

Monday 17th.....6 mile recovery............47.43.....Legs were sore so jumped into ice bath after run and froze the b-jesus out of myself...

Tuesday 18th...9 mile tempo.........1.03.01... half mile warmup and cooldown followed by
    mile splits as follows...7.43, 7.12, 7.00, 7.07, 6.25, 6.32, 6.31, 7.32...

Wednesday 19th...5.5 miles.......42.29....Nice relaxing run around local roads..

Thursday 20th......7.5 miles approx.......58.48.. Pheonix Park run at dusk..Lovely crisp evening for a run..

Friday 21th.....7 miles....54.05...Had long day of work to look forward to but luckily enough I brought my gear and an unepected opportunity arose at 7pm to get a city run in.......1st time running down the canal and in the general Rathmines, Rathgar and Leeson St areas...

Saturday 22nd...9 miles slow....1.12.00....Had intended to do 18 miles but was not feeling great( absoutely zero energy levels ) at around mile 6 so packed it in on finishing my second local loop at mile 9..... Hopefully get 18 in tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

liamo123 wrote: »
    Thursday 20th......7.5 miles approx.......58.48.. Pheonix Park run at dusk..Lovely crisp evening for a run..

Friday 21th.....7 miles....54.05...Had long day of work to look forward to but luckily enough I brought my gear and an unepected opportunity arose at 7pm to get a city run in.......1st time running down the canal and in the general Rathmines, Rathgar and Leeson St areas...

Saturday 22nd...9 miles slow....1.12.00....Had intended to do 18 miles but was not feeling great( absoutely zero energy levels ) at around mile 6 so packed it in on finishing my second local loop at mile 9..... Hopefully get 18 in tomorrow..
    Liamo, that's a lot of days without a break, no? If you do the 18 miler, it'll have been 9 by my count. Must check out a few plans but I thought they almost all suggest a rest day per week.

Maybe not - just looking at Cool Running Advanced there. Not many rest days!! Also noticed they suggest a 28 mile run. Do many people actually do that distance in training??

Itziger wrote: »
    Liamo, that's a lot of days without a break, no? If you do the 18 miler, it'll have been 9 by my count. Must check out a few plans but I thought they almost all suggest a rest day per week.

Maybe not - just looking at Cool Running Advanced there. Not many rest days!! Also noticed they suggest a 28 mile run. Do many people actually do that distance in training??

Fair point Itzinger...I was silly to try and do 18 tis morning 4 the simple reason that I had v long day at work yesterday and did'nt get enough sleep last nite...

As regards rest days if work permits and family life permits I'l go 4 a run, if not I'l take a rest day.....I dont have specific rest days in my training plan( tbh Im not really following any set plan, just doing my own thing ) but there have been previous weeks when I might take 1 or 2 rest days and that will b no different in the future..

The longest LSR i've ever done is 20 miles...I aint going any further until Ive run Barcelona then Ive the Conn Ultra 2 look forward 2 :confused: so will have to increase LSR's then....

Sunday 23rd........18 miles approx ....2.22.20...

After a chinese and a couple of beers I slept like a log on Saturday night so fresh as a daisy this morning..The only problem was Mrs L was working in the morning and I was working in afternoon but luckily my folks live closeby so once I had my girls safely dispatched there I went to the Pheonix Park..

Headed out Parkgate exit and ran towards Chapelizod and up Knockmaroon Hill.. I've never run this route before and found the hill tough going....Back into the park where I followed the trails back to the car....refueled and did it all again plus up and down Chesterfield Ave..Quick shower and off to work..

59 miles for the week
    158.75 miles for year

• Advertisement

Monday 24th...4.5 mile recovery.....36.00...Nice relaxing run..legs in good shape

Advertisement