Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Monday 9th through Sunday 15th.... 5 days running ; 42.15 miles..
    Probably took it a little easy but hopefully I can pick it up in the next few weeks...

Milage For Year : 862.11

Monday 16th.....10.31 miles....1.14.41....avg pace 7.15
    Right hip/ ass giving me a bit of gip... Had the same prob after Donadea but it sorted itself out so hopefully same will happen..

Tuedsay 17th....8.65 miles...1.05.31..avg pace 7.34
    Still a little tender... Right pain in the ass :rolleyes:

Wednesday 18th..... Rest Day...
    Hip sore so didnt run.... Got the opportunity to do a bit of research into training for a 24 hr race.. Thankfully it appears for the limited information online that its just like preparing for a marathon ie intervals, tempos etc with 2 longish runs per week thrown in for good measure . This set my mind at ease; the visions of doing 50 milers at 3 am was not one bit appealing to me :eek:..Also found a few blogs that are great reading so hopefully will get a few tips there too...

Thursday 19th.... 17.55 miles....2.15.07 ..avg pace 7.42...
    Hip fine tk god..

Friday 20th.... 7.8 miles...1.00.19..avg pace...7.44

Saturday 21st....18.21 miles 2.18.23....avg pace 7.36...
    Got very tired for the last few miles but I suppose its all about getting use to running on tired legs so mission accomplished... Then headed off to Mullingar for my 1st stag is years....

Sunday 22nd....Rest Day...
    Actually brought my gear with me to Mullingar... Plan was for a short run to clear the head before the drive home. Didnt happed as was in a complete heap... Am getting too old for this lark :pac:.. Eventually got home and spent the afternoon chilling looking for sympathy from the crew which was not forthcoming...

Milage For Week : 62.52
    Milage For Year : 924.63

Monday 23rd....7.99 miles...1.00.23...avg pace 7.33...

Tuesday 24th....9.66 miles..1.12.02..avg pace 7.28..
    Trails of the PP after work.. Trails are in sh!te ..

Wednesday 25th... Rest Day

Thursday 26th....11.38 miles...1.22.30...avg pace 7.15

Friday 27th.....10.58 miles...1.18.45...avg pace 7.26

Saturday 28th...16.23 miles...2.05.55...avg pace 7.45..
    Terrible nights sleep Fri night and paid for it on this run... hoped to go longer and slightly quicker but serious lack of energy put stop to that..

Sunday 29th..... 11.76 miles...1.34.12...avg pace 8.01...
    Went to bed Sat night exhausted but again just couldnt sleep....Never a great sleeper but the last couple of nights have really taken the biscuit.. Up early for work and hit the trails of PP in the afternoon...No enjoyment whatsoever...

Milage For Week : 67.60
    Milage For Year : 992.23

Alot of updating to do so here it goes....

Monday 30th through Sunday 13th.....82.46 miles ran... Fairly stop start couple of weeks which included two weddings and too many rest days ...

Monday 14th....8.43 miles....1.01.21... avg pace 7.17

Tuedsay 15th...8.12 miles....1.02.32...avg pace 7.42

Wednesday 16th....12.56 miles...1.25.28...avg pace 6.48..
    Nice blowout on roads of PP

Thursday 17th..... Rest Day

Friday 18th....17.55 miles....2.08.23..avg pace 7.19
    One long loop of local roads...wind was a killer

Saturday 19th...7.28 miles...56.28...avg pace 7.46

Sunday 20th....19.73 miles....2.29.06...avg pace 7.36...
    Two loops of local roads this time....tough going for last couple of miles...

1st decent weeks milage in ages... have to keep this up between now and July

Milage For Week : 73.67
    Milage For Year : 1148.36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Some good long ones in there. whats the target liam?

Some good long ones in there. whats the target liam?

All right Steve... Im doing a 24hr race on the 6th/7th July up in Bangor ... Will have 2 c how my recovery goes after it before deciding on my next marathon .... Atm Im looking a possibly going to Barca in March 2013 but not sure...

Monday 21st....10.49 miles....1.16.34... avg pace 7.18...

Tuesday 22nd... 5.98 miles...46.55...avg pace 7.51...

Wednesday 23rd....17.59 miles...2.13.12...avg pace 7.34...
    One loop on local roads mid afternoon which wasnt the wisest move considering the temperature ... Struggled badly for last few miles...

Thursday 24th....10.01 miles...1.16.45....avg pace 7.40..

Friday 25th... Rest Day...
    Had to work for a few hrs in the morning before heading off to our 3rd wedding in 5 weeks.. No more for as couple of years hopefully....Fecking things cost me a fortune :rolleyes:

Saturday 26th....7.81 miles...58.50... avg pace 7.32...
    A clear the head run..

Sunday 27th....20.93 miles....2.41.24...avg pace 7.43...
    3 loops of local roads this time giving me a chance to top up on water after each loop....

Milage For Week : 72.81
    Milage For Year : 1221.17

liamo123 wrote: »
    All right Steve... Im doing a 24hr race on the 6th/7th July up in Bangor ... Will have 2 c how my recovery goes after it before deciding on my next marathon .... Atm Im looking a possibly going to Barca in March 2013 but not sure...

Jaysus, a race that has two dates :eek:. Fair play - reckon you have the stamina to do it. Will follow with interest!

Monday 28th...Rest Day

Tuesday 29th...5.8 miles....45.02..avg pace 7.46
    Nice easy run on local roads before the short drive with the family to Dunboyne for my annual go at the dreaded speedwork that is the BHAA Dunboyne 5 mile. Ran 30.32 last year and despite not doing any real speed work in the last few months for hoping for sub 30 this time. Had a chat with Aimman and RAL3 before the start and also met up with some work mates at the start line who were hoping to do well in the team event.

Mile 1 : 5.51....... Even with the change in location the start was chaotic and the 1st .5 mile was all about avoiding flying elbows and not getting tripped up...Things settled down then and I got running with 2 other lads.

Mile 2 : 5.56....Stayed with the 2 lads for this mile.

Mile 3 :6.05... Started to feel the pace a bit so eased off and basically followed the 2 lads who were a short distance ahead.

Mile 4 : 6.12....For some reason I always struggle with mile 4 in Dunboyne and this was no exception... No matter how hard I tried my Garmin kept showing my pace between 6.10 and 6.14.. The 2 lads at this stage were a good bit ahead of me and tbh I was resigned to the fact that sub 30 was gone...

Mile 5: 5.58... When I got to the 4 mile marker I was surprised to c that exactly 24 mins had elapsed. This gave me hope so it was a case of htfu, head down and push. On seeing the clock at the track I knew a bit of a sprint was c me go sub 30 so pushed and with the encouragement of my crew got home in 29.57 by my watch.

On checking the official times the followed day I realised I'd run 29.59 so bloody close but feels alot better than 30.01... Happy enough but still not good enough if I was to improve on my marathon time... Great spread afterwards and nice to c my workmates won the Team prize.....

Wednesday 30th....10.85 miles...1.25.52....avg pace 7.55

Thursday 31st.....9.42 miles...1.08.44....avg pace 7.18
    Nice run around trails of PP..

Friday 1st.....14.27 miles...1.50.47....avg pace 7.46
    Again trails of PP for this one.Was hoping to go longer but was tired and lacking energy..

Saturday 2nd....Rest Day

Sunday 3rd...18.23 miles...2.16.07...avg pace 7.28..
    Again cut this run short...poxy morning for a run...Felt fine early on but struggled a bit from mile 15 and packed it in when passing house...

Milage For Week : 63.62
    Milage For Year : 1284.79

Monday 4th....7.83 miles...59.14...avg pace 7.34...

Tuesday 5th....10.26 miles...1.13.28...avg pace 7.10..

Wednesday 6th...Rest Day

Thursday 7th...11.24 miles..1.23.00..avg pace 7.23...
    Poxy morning for a run..

After giving it alot of thought I've finally decided to pull the plug on my 24 hour race in July. Tough decision to make as I hate pulling out of anything but Tbh its a weight off my shoulders. Just not ready physically or mentally but the main reason is I want to try and improve my marathon time and running the 24hr race would set me back months. Was'nt looking forward to telling my pal whose also running it but he was fine especially when I offered to crew for him. Currently looking at potential marathons but atm it looks like I'l give Longford a lash on the 28th August. Need to do a fair bit of speedwork between now and then but looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

id say it was a hard decision,but when the times right you will run one hell of a 24hr race,in the mean time theres a real good marathon time waiting for you,keep up the great work:)

Sounds like you are dissapointed liamo but I reckon its the right thing to do. Plenty of time for that 24 h stuff when the speed has left your legs.

Personally Im chuffed, we could set up a friendly rivalry over 10/13.1-marathon over the next year or two :)

Friday 8th through Sunday 10th.... Nothing

Was away with work and tough I had my gear with me did'nt get an opportunity to get out.

On another note it looks like the 24 hr is back on. Due to a family committment I cant run the Longford marathon in August and dont like racing Dublin so what the heck I'l just go and enjoy the experience in Bangor ( I think )

Milage For Week : 29.33 :(
    Milage For Year : 1314.12

id say it was a hard decision,but when the times right you will run one hell of a 24hr race,in the mean time theres a real good marathon time waiting for you,keep up the great work:)

Very best of luck at the weekend Ray. I've no doubt ul give it socks and go fast.....
    Sounds like you are dissapointed liamo but I reckon its the right thing to do. Plenty of time for that 24 h stuff when the speed has left your legs.

Personally Im chuffed, we could set up a friendly rivalry over 10/13.1-marathon over the next year or two :)

Friendly rivalry over 10/13.1 is never going to happen my friend. Ur way too quick for me even when half fit!! Marathon might b a different story ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

On another note it looks like the 24 hr is back on. Due to a family committment I cant run the Longford marathon in August and dont like racing Dublin so what the heck I'l just go and enjoy the experience in Bangor ( I think )

Excellent, see you there.

I mean, what could possibly be more fun than to run for 24 hours around a track? :D

Monday 11th through Sunday 17th....42.18 miles... Again busy week workwise so not near as much as I had hoped for.

Monday 18th... 10.32 miles....1.10.48....avg pace 6.52..
    Mile warmup, mile cooldown and hard in between..

Tuesday 19th... Am 10.32 miles...1.19.31... avg pace 7.42
    Pm 6.34 miles.....48.11......avg pace 7.36

Wednesday 20th... 10.45 miles....1.20.07...avg pace 7.40

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Well done on the 29:59 Liam, sweet feeling to just get under it.

You running Dunshaughlin on Saturday?

Well done on the 29:59 Liam, sweet feeling to just get under it.

You running Dunshaughlin on Saturday?

Hows it going Brian... Nice to get sub 30 but I really should b going quicker......I'l b over in Dunshaughlin alright as its so local but definately wont b racing.....Im running a midnight marathon in Leixlip tonight on a 400m track which if the current wind conditions continue is going to b some crack :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

How did you find the Lexlip warm up to the 24h? Are you still dizzy from all the turning around? Its not as bad as you think, sure it's not. And there's always a bit of support each time you come around to the lap counters etc.

Thursday 21st..... 8.32 miles...1.04.03...avg pace 7.42..

Friday 22nd.....26.57 miles.... 3.18.32....avg pace 7.28

Leixlip Midnight Marathon

Left for work at 7am Fri morning hoping for a nice handy day. 15 hours and 20 Silk Cut Purple later arrived home, had some porridge and off I headed to Leixlip for 105.5 laps of their track. I was tired ,there was still a poxy strong wind blowing and my legs were heavy from the previous few days running so this was going to b ideal preparation for the upcoming 24hr race.When I got there I was a bit surprised to see it was a grass track but despite the recent rain it was in great condition. Said hello to the other competitors which included our own Aimman, Jonny99, Ultraman who despite not running managed to get a few sneaky miles in and the angelic Ruthann Sheehan ;). The event was being co ordinated by another Boardie; LeCheile ( Tony ) who I hadnt seen since our pacing duties in DCM.

Midnight struck and we were off. My initial plan was to run 8mm pace but of course I couldnt stick to that so slotted into 3rd place running . I have to say I found the few miles very monotonous but gradually came to terms with going around and around and around...

The leader lapped me at about mile 6 and again coming up to halfway but on this occasion I decided to up the pace and track him. After a few laps I came along side him and for the next 5 or so miles we chatted away which was great as the laps flew by. During these miles I passed the 2nd placed lad. I took my only gel at mile 17 and almost immediately felt the kick from it. As the leader was having a few stomach issues I pushed again, almost getting a lap back from him and lapping the 3rd lad but unfortunately at about mile 21the wheels came off.

The remaining 5 miles were carnage. The grass track seemed to drain all the energy from my legs and my mile times tumbled ( 7.51, 8.23, 8.21, 8.47, and 8.53 ). I was never so happy to hear Tony shout 1 lap to go but almost immedately heard him shouting it to the 3rd placed runner too. Fu!k he was right on my tail . Ran the last 400m as hard as I could and just about hung on to 2nd. A couple of cups of coffee and some biscuits followed.

Many thanks to Tony, all the volunteers who were keeping track and informing us of our progress and LeCheile A/C.. This is a great event and I will b definately back. It was also a bit surreal to c a nice few people arriving for the 4am half marathon :eek:

Oh almost forgot... Quite a few hardy bucks including Aimman and Ruthann who ran Leixlip were heading to Salthill for another marathon starting at 9.30am... They're fuc!ing mad !!

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »
    How did you find the Lexlip warm up to the 24h? Are you still dizzy from all the turning around? Its not as bad as you think, sure it's not. And there's always a bit of support each time you come around to the lap counters etc.

Took me a while to get used to going round the track alright but have to say really enjoyed it Eamon. Tks for letting me know about it. How did u get on in Salthill ???...... U and ur cronies are stone mad!!!!!

2nd in a marathon race. Thats one for the grandkids liam. Great stuff. Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

How did u get on in Salthill ???...... U and ur cronies are stone mad!!!!!

:rolleyes: Says the man who in 2 weeks will be running for 24hrs around a 400m track :D

Saturday 23rd.... Rest Day
    I had hoped to run Dunshaughlin but was a little sore after the marathon so gave it a miss.

Sunday 24th.... 10.31 miles.... 1.21.48.... avg pace 7.56
    Rest day did me the world of good as legs are fine.

Milage For Week : 82.63
    Milage For Year : 1438.93

A bit of R and R now for the next two week before my 24 hours of hardship!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You're a brave man to run a marathon 2 weeks before Bangor. I was tempted myself but thought I might not be able to recover fully in time. If it works out for you I know what to change next time. :D

Congratulations a a good time and smokin' second place.

Btw you had met Tony once since DCM, namely at Donadea.

See you in 12 days. :eek:

You're a brave man to run a marathon 2 weeks before Bangor. I was tempted myself but thought I might not be able to recover fully in time. If it works out for you I know what to change next time. :D

Congratulations a a good time and smokin' second place.

Btw you had met Tony once since DCM, namely at Donadea.

See you in 12 days. :eek:

Was taking a chance alright but just needed the experience of running around a track for a prolonged period. Will take it nice and easy until race day...

As 4 next time ........there wont b a next time :)
    As for Donadea........Thats still a blur :D

11 days and counting..........

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Left for work at 7am Fri morning hoping for a nice handy day. 15 hours and 20 Silk Cut Purple later arrived home, had some porridge and off I headed to Leixlip for 105.5 laps of their track.

Hilarious stuff man, that sounds brutal. Well done on the 2nd place. I don't envy you running for 24 hours next week. Go out hard ;)

Monday 25th....Rest Day

Tuesday 26th.....8.71 miles...1.06.58... avg pace 7.41
    Nice and easy does it for the next 10 days....Very warm out this afternoon.

Photos and video from Midnight marathon in Leixlip here for anyone whose interested :

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/bodyandsole/2012/06/25/so-how-was-your-weekend-2/

Wednesday 27th....5.66 miles...43.13.. avg pace 7.38..
    Ive have a few little issues with a left sore hip for the last couple of months but 4 miles into this run the discomfort turned into a sharpish pain..very slow jog back to the house applied some ice and did some stretches but the pain didnt ease to the extend that walking up the stairs was a bit of a struggle...

Thursday 28th... Rest Day
    Went to physio and he reckons its a hip flexor issue .... 40 minutes of major discomfort followed ( Still have the bruising to show for it )

Friday 29th and Saturday 30th....Rest Day

Sunday 1st....3.17 miles...24.47... avg pace 7.49..
    Headed out to test the water but poxy hip is still giving out...

No running between now and Friday.Im just hoping that the few days rest will do the job...... To b honest I'd b more dissappointed if I was about to race a goal marathon . Will visit physio again tomorrow and hope he can do his magic.......

• Advertisement

Wednesday 27th....5.66 miles...43.13.. avg pace 7.38..
    Ive have a few little issues with a left sore hip for the last couple of months but 4 miles into this run the discomfort turned into a sharpish pain..very slow jog back to the house applied some ice and did some stretches but the pain didnt ease to the extend that walking up the stairs was a bit of a struggle...

Thursday 28th... Rest Day
    Went to physio and he reckons its a hip flexor issue .... 40 minutes of major discomfort followed ( Still have the bruising to show for it )

Friday 29th and Saturday 30th....Rest Day

Sunday 1st....3.17 miles...24.47... avg pace 7.49..
    Headed out to test the water but poxy hip is still giving out...

No running between now and Friday.Im just hoping that the few days rest will do the job...... To b honest I'd b more dissappointed if I was about to race a goal marathon . Will visit physio again tomorrow and hope he can do his magic.......

Sorry to hear that liamo. Hope it clears up in time buddy.

Advertisement