Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

excellent stuff liamo, enjoy the taper!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great running Liam.

btw a guard running through my house after a tresspasser last night fell over my bike and fcuked my front wheel and front brakes. How do I get him to pay for it? :pac:

Jez I hope he or her didnt hurt themselves in the process :D.... If its an expensive bike it might b no harm to write a letter to the local Supt explaning the situation ( in a nice way of course :) ) an take it from there..... They'l definately reply to u and c what their reponse is....

Saturday 10th....18.27 miles...2.28.21...avg pace 8.07...

Ran 2 laps of 9 mile trail run in PP.... Nice and easy run and glad to get last lsr before Berlin out of the way...

Sunday 11th....6.08 miles....45.36....avg pace 7.30....

Stopped off in PP after work and again stuck to the trails....

Milage For Week : 72.02
    Milage For Year : 1709.52

Monday 12th... Rest Day

Tuesday 13th....9.34 miles...1.09.37...avg pace 7.27....

Jez some wind out there tis evening... Headed to Fairyhouse and ran a couple of laps... Ran hard into the wind and eased up with the wind on my back...

Im going to try and enjoy this taper ( for once !! )... Am tired physically and mentally.. havent really enjoyed the last few weeks training and might have slacked off a bit as a result.... I badly need to recharge the batteries....Tough come hell or high water I'l b rearing to go come the 25th :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

liamo123 wrote: »
    Jez I hope he or her didnt hurt themselves in the process :D.... If its an expensive bike it might b no harm to write a letter to the local Supt explaning the situation ( in a nice way of course :) ) an take it from there..... They'l definately reply to u and c what their reponse is....

He said he only hurt his pride. :pac:

It cost me €105 to get fixed! :eek:

Wednesday 14th....6.01 miles....46.20...avg pace 7.42....

Thurday 15th.....5.89 miles....42.23.....avg pace 7.12.....

Friday 16th......11.26 miles....1.20.50.... avg pace 7.11....

Saturday 17th....16.21 miles inc Half Marathon pacing duties PP...

Really enjoyed yesterdays pacing....... Was pacing 1.40 with leCheile and we had a right good group with us .....Great fun and it nice to get so many around sub 1.40.....Fair play to Hard Worker and KC had all our bits and pieces ready when we arrived.... 1.5 mile jog to and from car to make up the milage.....

Sunday 18th..... Rest Day

Milage For Week : 48.71
    Milage For Year : 1758.23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey Liam,

I was one of those 1:40-ers yesterday. Just wanted to say thanks to yourself and Le Cheile on a job well done! Unfortunately for me I just missed out on the time by 20 secs due to a recurrence of an injury kicking in from mile 10 onwards (so it didn't have anything to do with you guys!)
    (I was also the guy who almost went head over heels on the North Rd!:o)

Thanks again to the pair of ye!

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey Liam,

I was one of those 1:40-ers yesterday. Just wanted to say thanks to yourself and Le Cheile on a job well done! Unfortunately for me I just missed out on the time by 20 secs due to a recurrence of an injury kicking in from mile 10 onwards (so it didn't have anything to do with you guys!)
    (I was also the guy who almost went head over heels on the North Rd!:o)

Thanks again to the pair of ye!

Ur welcome man... Really enjoyed the pacing duties... hopefully ul get that injury sorted and enjoy DCM ( i mean New York :) ) .... Fair play for staying on ur feet after that little incident :D...

Monday 19th.......8 miles....57.56.....avg pace..7.14...

Miles 2,4 and 6 .........5.54, 5.46 and 5.51... Pushed these miles and took it easy in between...

Tuesday 20th.... 5.64 miles....43.51....avg pace..7.47...

Nice and easy does it between now and Sunday...Just wishing the next few days away....

Monday 19th.......8 miles....57.56.....avg pace..7.14...

Miles 2,4 and 6 .........5.54, 5.46 and 5.51... Pushed these miles and took it easy in between...

Tuesday 20th.... 5.64 miles....43.51....avg pace..7.47...

Nice and easy does it between now and Sunday...Just wishing the next few days away....

Youre in great shape liamo, some pretty fast miles in there.

Any final thoughts on the target time?

Youre in great shape liamo, some pretty fast miles in there.

Any final thoughts on the target time?

Tks TBB....Im about 15 seconds per mile faster than the week before Barca so happy....As per usual I didnt follow a specific plan which has me equally nervous and excited ; nervous in the fact that I just hope i've done enough of the hard milage and excited cause I might surprise myself over there....

Plan atm is very simple... Start at 6.36 pace ( 2.53.00 ) until about 18mls and then take each mile at it comes.. 1st marathon with my Garmin so hopefully I can keep the pace consistant for once :rolleyes:... If im feeling good at 18 i'l push if not I'l try and hang on....

• Advertisement

Plan atm is very simple... Start at 6.36 pace ( 2.53.00 ) until about 18mls and then take each mile at it comes.. 1st marathon with my Garmin so hopefully I can keep the pace consistant for once :rolleyes:... If im feeling good at 18 i'l push if not I'l try and hang on....

Sounds very sensible. I reckon you have great stamina, and youve certainly done the training, so given that you are generally faster now its got to be encouraging.

Its a bit early but just in case i'll wish you luck now. Hope you enjoy the race, im sure you'll run a super time. Will be watching the log with interest after the race. :)

Wednesday 21st....... Rest Day

Thrusday 22nd.... 5.68 miles....44.30....avg pace 7.50....

Easy run in the morning followed by a not so easy sports massage :pac: Legs were by all accounts in knots .... Heading to Berlin this evening with Mrs L and cant wait for Sunday 2 arrive.... Few more easy miles tomorrow and that me done....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck in Berlin, hope the race goes well for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Liam - expecting a great report!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Best of luck to you too if i dont see you. I may even join you for a fag afterwards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have a safe trip Liamo, and a historic day on Sunday. Drink a pint for every minute you get under 3:00. That's at least 10 pints by my estimation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck the weekend Liam hopefully all that hard training gets you the result you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Best of luck on Sunday Liamo. Your training and racing have gone very well, 2:52 is easily within your reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

C'mon the 1:40 2:50!!

Best of luck on Sunday man!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Best of luck Liam. The hard work's been done, enjoy the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Good luck on Sunday Liam, hopefully bump into you around the place afterwards.

Friday 23rd........ 4 miles.....32 mins... avg pace 8mins

Few miles around the hotel to loosen the legs... Then headed off to the expo and got my bits and pieces sorted... Finished off the evening with a few ( well 3 to b exact ) nice strong german beers in the Oscar Wilde... Slept like a baby last night :D

Saturday 24th....Rest Day...

Bit of sightseeing with Mrs L and then off to look at those madmen and women flying around the place on their skates... Huge event over here... Nice and toasty here today and tomorrows forecast is similar... Lets hope it doesent get too warm tomorrow morning ....

Tks for all the good wishes folks.... Really nervous atm but cant wait to get going.., Bring it on :eek:

opus wrote: »
    Good luck on Sunday Liam, hopefully bump into you around the place afterwards.

Best of luck too u aswell.... Hopefully c u around the finish line....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for the race, Liam.

Sunday 25th.... Berlin Marathon.... 26.53 miles....2.52.14.....Avg Pace 6.30....

Pre Race :

Did alot of sightseeing with Mrs L on Saturday and after a lovely meal hit the sack at about 11pm.. At midnight I was still wide awake, couldnt stop thinking about the race... Ive been so lucky since a started running in 2009, I pb'ed in every race I've ran but for some reason Berlin had me worried... Expected heat , had I trained hard enough etc were all racing through my mind... Anyway at midnight I had a decision to make...Im a crap sleeper at the best of times and recently was prescribed sleeping tabs from my GP... Have taken a couple with mixed results in the last few weeks but I decided to chance it and take one...Still wide awake at 12.30 , next time I looked at the clock it was 5.30... 5 hrs sleep on the eve of a marathon was more than enough for me so happy days :).... Couple of glasses of water and hi-5 carb drink followed at 6.30 by my usual pre marathon breakfast of ceral, toast and coffee with a few cigs thrown in for good measure and I was ready to rock....

Trams were not operating due to marathon restrictions so a nice brisk 20 min walk got us to Alexanderplatz station ( passing a nightclub still in full swing... lucky sods )for short connection to marathon village...Nerves were really building at this stage and when I said goodbye to Mrs L they got worse... It was her 1st marathon trip away with me and I hoped she'd enjoy the occasion and maybe find someone to view the marathon with...

Dropped my bag off and headed to the starting area... Got a great spot not far from the startline with plenty of room.........

Race

Gun fired and I was over the line in what seemed like no time... Got straight into my running and felt relaxed from the start ...Support was unreal...Plan was 6.36 ish pace until mile 20 and push if possible..... No issues with overcrowding or slower runners.... 1st water stop was at 5k and due to the rising temperature I made a decision to slow coming to these stops and take 2 cups of water where possible... I got dehydrated running Barca in March and wasnt going to make the same mistake here.... Alot of the streets were treelined so I also ran in the shade where possible also but this meant straying off the race line but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make.... Miles flew by and I was keeping a good constant pace... Took a powerbar gel at approx mile 6 and 12 and kept drinking as much water as possible...I stayed away from the powerbar iso drink...

Coming up to halfway I got a little annoyed with myself ... 13.1, 13.2 and still no sign of the halfway point... Didnt pass this point until 13.33 miles and was p!ssed off big time... I know Garmins arent perfect and I was off the racing line a bit but this error was costing me precious time so I decided from now on to stick to that line come hell or high water....

Made a silly mistake at approx mile 18... Saw a Powerbar sign in the distance, taught it was a water stop and took my 3rd gel.... Godsh!te :).. No water to b seen just more free powerbar gels... Imagine trying to swallow a mouthfull of marmalade on a hot day with no bloody water... Pain in the ass...

Again from halfway from mile 20 despite above mishap I was feeling good...I usually find these miles a drag but not today...Heat was a factor but my pace was staying very consistant with most miles sub 6.36.... At mile 20 I decided to try and push.... It felt like I was running faster but my mile times didnt improve at all .... Strange I was comfortable at my current pace but yet I couldnt push out faster times:confused:

Miles 20 to 24 fine then got a slight pain in my right hip/groin area but kept the pace up and pushed as hard as I could until the finish line... Best marathon moment for me by a mile....

Post Race :

A massage , 2 beautiful cold pints of Erdinger non alcoholic and a shower followed .... I then found Mrs L in the reunion area... I said earlier I was worried she wouldnt enjoy the occasion.. How wrong was I :).. She somehow managed to get a prime seat in the grandstand right on the finish line next to a load of Kenyans and had a ball so that made it even more special for me...

I'd enough of the sun and heat at this stage and was looking for somewhere dark and dreary to relax in so where better to go than an Irish Pub :).. Went initially to the Kilkenny Pub and after a couple of alcoholic pints this time headed to the Oscar Wilde where we met up with Meno, Briandrunner, The Roadrunner and his father... Had a great chat with the lads along with a few more beers before heading back to the hotel and onward to the airport...

Bloody great weekend.. Nice to meet psychozeb after the race and the lads at the Oscar Wilde..

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Fair f*cks Liam, unreal time. You had the work done so fair play. Congrats again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I will save my thanks for the next installments:) You are a bit of a savage Liamo...in a good way;). Only running 2 years and posting serious times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice going, Liamo. Simple, understated, logical approach, delivered consistently, gets the results. I can empathise with that feeling of "I'm trying harder, why am I not going faster?"...but at least you didn't drop off the pace. Nicely done.

I will save my thanks for the next installments:) You are a bit of a savage Liamo...in a good way;). Only running 2 years and posting serious times.

LOL...Started this report earlier this afternoon and lost the whole lot so from now on its save/edit for me..... Tks for keeping the other thread updated yesterday... Hey Im just the runner...its those madmen and women who combine running with swimming and cycling that are the savages :D

For the record mile times were as follows :

Miles 1 to 13 ; 6.42, 6.32, 6.30, 6.39, 6.24, 6.23, 6.28, 6.30, 6.33, 6.37, 6.21, 6.34 and 6.26...

Miles 14 to 26 ; 6.12, 6.32, 6.28, 6.29, 6.33, 6.34, 6.31, 6.18, 6.28, 631, 6.27, 6.29 and 6.46

Last .53 ; 6.18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congratulations - brilliant effort. Not resting on the Barca laurels !

Advertisement