Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Monday 30th....4.5 miles steady...31.13..

Tuesday 31th....
    am... 4.5 miles v slow......35.14

pm.. BHAA Dunboyne 5 mile race.....30.32

Only up the road from me so it was the perfect excuse to show off my new Boards A/c top .....I had no real time objective; basically just run as hard as I could and c what happens...

Mile 1....Race starts in a housing estate and makes it way onto the roads after about 300 yards but with 438 runners the start was a bit crazy... Had to b alert not to clip anyone or b clipped... Passed mile 1 in 6.02 which was the fastest I've ever run a competitive mile so was just hoping I had not gone out too fast...

Mile 2...Got into a nice rythm but was a bit surprised when I slowed to 6.10 for mile 2

Mile 3... 6.01.. thats better

Mile 4.. Very strange mile.. I got a very slight stitch but still felt good and continued to pass a few runners so when I hit the 4 mile marker and saw 6.24 I was really pi!!ed off..Couldnt understand how/why I slowed soo much..

Mile 5.. Right 1 mile to go so I was going to give it everything.. Passed quite a few runners and came home strong in 5.55 so well pleased with that... Would have taken my time before I started and over 2 mins quicker than last year but still a work in progress !!

Overall like last year a really great race and Dunboyne A/c deserve huge credit for the organisation and the post race refrestments.. Tea , coffee, sambo's , cakes.. u name it they had it ...

Wednesday 1st..... 9 miles slow.... 1.07.52... Legs a bit stiff to start but soon came good and a very enjoyable run....

Thursday 2nd.....4.5 miles .....35.38....

I dont know if it was a delayed effect from Tuesdays race or Wednesdays 9 miler but I woke up in a heap Thursday morning.. Im not used to the fast stuff...Aches and pains in places I did'nt know existed :D... After long day at work I was mad to get out and loosen up.... 4.5 miles of hardship :eek:

Friday 3rd... 4.5 miles ....34.22..

Jez not much better today ..Still stiff and sore but what an evening for a run... Local roads full of people running and walking.. Great to c....

Saturday 4th....Rest Day

Sunday 5th..... 13.5 miles....1.39.38.....

Badly needed yesterdays rest day and felt like a different person when I got out early this morning...1st 9 miles nice and easy... next 4 at 6.50 mpm with .5 mile cooldown....

Overall happy enough with week... Would have prefered to clock up a few more miles but Tuesdays race took alot more out of me that expected... Having said that I now have a better ideal of what my tempo/interval pace should b .....

Now off to Croker with my eldest to watch Meath give Kildare a footballing lesson :rolleyes: and maybe Laois suprise the Dubs ( here's hoping :D )

Milage For Week : 45.5
    Milage For Year : 895.9

Monday 6th... 6.5 miles....46.05...

2 miles warmup followed by 3 miles of 6.15 pace and 1.5 mile cooldown...

Tuesday 7th....Got stuck in work so didnt get out...

Wednesday...8th....9 miles slow...1.08.52....

Went out in new Asics Gt2160's and took it easy trying them out... They're quite different to the 2150's and 1st impressions are good... Alot more wriggle room and slightly more bouncy than the 2150's....

Thursday... 9th...9 miles with 4 at approx PMP.....1.02.29....

Berlin is still a while away so Im trying to decide what time to aim for ...I decided to base my training around a 2.53.00 marathon finish ( might as well aim high :rolleyes: ) so the PMP is 6.36 ish... I've neglected this training in my previous marathon runs... Jez ive alot to work on.. This felt way too hard today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good stuff liamo.

Considering the training you were doing before barcelona you ran an unbelievable time. I dont mean that in a bad way - I reckon you have stamina/mental steel in spades (more than most on here). Im no speed merchant, but my 10 mile pace (from january anyway) is the same as your recent 5 mile pace, but you were over a minute faster than me in barcelona (same day, both fit etc.). Maybe you have lost a bit of fitness since barcelona so its an unfair comparison, but you get the idea - you seem to be able to hold a MP which is closer to your tempo pace than most (or else im a bottler over 26.2 :))

You were saying about PMP runs. Im no expert, but while I reckon that these are really important, for you it strikes me that its your threshold pace that would be useful to improve. If you take a chunk off your threshold pace (which makes PMP easier) and keep doing whatever you were doing before with the long runs and a few PMP runs id bet you will take loads off that 2:56 time!

Are you following a plan for this? I found Daniels really helped me with threshold training. Good luck with it, will be a keen follower.

• Advertisement

Good stuff liamo.

Considering the training you were doing before barcelona you ran an unbelievable time. I dont mean that in a bad way - I reckon you have stamina/mental steel in spades (more than most on here). Im no speed merchant, but my 10 mile pace (from january anyway) is the same as your recent 5 mile pace, but you were over a minute faster than me in barcelona (same day, both fit etc.). Maybe you have lost a bit of fitness since barcelona so its an unfair comparison, but you get the idea - you seem to be able to hold a MP which is closer to your tempo pace than most (or else im a bottler over 26.2 :))

You were saying about PMP runs. Im no expert, but while I reckon that these are really important, for you it strikes me that its your threshold pace that would be useful to improve. If you take a chunk off your threshold pace (which makes PMP easier) and keep doing whatever you were doing before with the long runs and a few PMP runs id bet you will take loads off that 2:56 time!

Are you following a plan for this? I found Daniels really helped me with threshold training. Good luck with it, will be a keen follower.

Tks TBB.. most of what uve written makes perfect sense except ur no bottler :cool:.. If memory serves me correctly a couple of weeks before Barca u had a niggly injury and were also unwell so Im sure these affected ur performance ( still a bloody good time mind u ).. TBH I reckon uve alot more to give in marthon races than me...

As regards training plans im going to stick with my tried and trusted routine which u wont find in any running book ; Liamo's Make It Up As U Go Marathon Training Plan :eek:... As I say it served me well so far ... Big advantage is with the nature of my work I'm liable to miss some days training so I not tied to a fixed session each specific day.. I'l basically work my training around the job......

BTW what do u think my threshold pace should b????

Friday 10th.... 4.5 miles easy....34.01

Saturday 11th.... 13.5 miles ....1.40.10... 7.25 avg pace
    Lovely day for run... Felt good throughout and tempted to go for further lap but decided to leave it til next week...

Sunday 12th.... 9 miles...1.09.40...7.44 avg pace..
    Horrible morning for a run with constant rain and annoying wind.. Bit of a slog and glad to get it over with...

Milage For Week : 51
    Milage For Year : 946.9

liamo123 wrote: »

BTW what do u think my threshold pace should b????

Hard to say. A rough estimate is supposed to be the pace you can hold in a race for one hour. So for us at the moment its probably close to whatever you can race 10 miles flat out in.

If you look at mcmillans predicted equivalent times for a 2:53:00 marathon you get the following target times:

5 miles: 29:25 (5:53)
    10 miles: 1:01:46 (6:10)
    half: 1:22:02 (6:16)

I find McMillan doesnt work too well for me (im usually slower over both shorter races and the marathon than my 10m-13.1m races would suggest according to McMillan) but it works well for some other runners (particular those with decent stamina/high mileage). So that would suggest that you threshold should be at 6:10 ish. My own feeling would be that 2:53 would require a slightly faster 10m pace (I did a 10m race in 1:01:06 5 weeks before barcelona) - but im no expert and everyone is different, as I said you seem to be able to hold a pace closer to your threshold in the marathon than I can.

Might be interesting to hear others opinion on this. Regardless, I would back you to get the 2:53 when the time comes!

Tks for the reply TBB... Mcmillan doesent work for me either....

Monday 13th..... Rest Day..

Tuesday 14th....9 mile interval... 1.04.42... 6.58 avg pace

Ran miles 2, 4, 6 and 8 in 6.15, 6.13, 6.09, and 6.10... Hoping for quicker and have to work on my basic speed in the coming weeks...

Wednesday 15th....9 miles.....1.09.42....7.45 avg pace

Thursday 16th.... 9 miles... 1.07.22...... 7.29 avg pace..

Friday 17th... 4.5 miles ....33.06... 7.22 avg pace..

Got out of work later than expected and with a friends 40th to attend time was against me so 4.5 had to do ( U know ur getting old when the wedding invitations have dried up and all u have to look forward to ( including my own ) are bloody 40th birthdays :D )

Saturday 18th... Resy Day....Too much beer consumed because of above and that along with work = no running.....

Sunday 19th..... 13.5 miles.....1.41.00....7.29 avg pace...

Milage For Week : 45
    Milage For Year : 991.9

Monday 20th....9 miles...1.02.43...6.59 avg pace..

Added a bit of variety to this run with miles 3 and 4 ; 6.21 and 6.14 and miles 7 and 8 ; 6.08 and 6.06..

Tuesday 21st... 4.5 miles recovery... 36.19.. 8.04 avg pace..

Wednesday 22nd... 6.5 miles... 45.26...

1 mile warmup, miles 2 through 5 avg pace 6.32 and 1.5 miles warmdown

Thurdsay 23rd.... Rest Day

Friday 24th.....9 miles ..... 1.05.49....7.19 avg pace....

• Advertisement

Saturday 25th..... Dunshaughlin 10k

My local 10k so was really looking forward to this and was quietly confident of breaking 38 mins.. However a few stupid mistakes meant it wasnt to b...

Mile 1: Was positioned too near the front and as a result headed off fast but when I passed 1 mile mark in 5.47 I knew it was way too fast...

Mile 2 : Eased up a bit and happy to pass mile 2 marker in 6.06

Mile 3 : For some reason I switched off for this mile ( same thing happened me in Dunboyne a few weeks ago ) and passed the mile 3 marker in 6.25

Mile 4: Really pissed off with myself for slowing up on previous mile so overcompensated and reached mile 4 marker in 5.54...

Mile 5 : Nightmare mile for me... Slowed badly and there was nothing I could do about it.. Heat, wind and slight incline really affected me and passed Mile 5 in 6.45.. Fking dreadful

Mile 6: Turned on my Ipod and tried to focus on finishing strongly .. Found myself picking up the pace and passed mile 6 in 6.06.... Cursary sprint for last .24 and fininshed in 38.24....

On reflection slightly disappointed... Its probably to do with my lack of experience in the shorted stuff but my pace was all over the place and its something I have to work on .... Still a PB by almost 2 minutes... Work in progress :)

Great to c so many Boardies around and fair play to Dunshaughlin A/C and the local ICA mafia for looking after us so well....

Sunday 26th.... 9 miles recovery....1.15.26.... 8.22 avg pace

Milage For Week : 44.24
    Milage For Year : 1036.14

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Good work on the PB Liamo. Mile 5 was a bitch alright.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Good work on the PB Liamo. Mile 5 was a bitch alright.

Just after reading ur report.. I'd say u definately passed me out between 4 and 5 miles.. I wouldnt mind but Im from the area and have driven that road hundreds of times over the years but never ran it :(... Another bloody mistake I made !!... Great running urself ... Well done on the PB and ur splits were really consistant compared to my roller coaster ride :D

congrats on the PB liamo. savage first mile! you'll knock chunks off that next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

+1 on that. Sub 37:30 for you next time, no doubt about it.
    Jesus, 2 sub 5:55 in 4 miles and I'd have been lucky to reach the line. Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

As regards training plans im going to stick with my tried and trusted routine which u wont find in any running book ; Liamo's Make It Up As U Go Marathon Training Plan :eek:... As I say it served me well so far ... Big advantage is with the nature of my work I'm liable to miss some days training so I not tied to a fixed session each specific day.. I'l basically work my training around the job......

+1 on that. Nothing worse than being a slave to the schedule, just gets you down when you miss sessions. As long as you have a general idea of what you are doing you're grand.

Unlucky on Saturday, the 5th mile was a b*tch alright, you'll be literally a mile or more ahead of me in Berlin.

+1 on that. Nothing worse than being a slave to the schedule, just gets you down when you miss sessions. As long as you have a general idea of what you are doing you're grand.

Unlucky on Saturday, the 5th mile was a b*tch alright, you'll be literally a mile or more ahead of me in Berlin.

Super run in Dunshaughlin urself....Best of luck with the training 4 Berlin...Its a nice flat course so Sub 3 is most definately on 4 u.....

Monday 27th...... Rest Day....

Tuesday 28th..... 9 miles.... 1.06.51... 7.26 avg pace

Wednesday 29th....9 miles... 1.08.28... 7.36 avg pace..

Working nights 4 the week ( which means v little sleep for me ) so its just a case of getting out and going throught the motions... Will start proper marathon training next week..

Thursday 30th.... 9 miles...1.05.05... 7.14 avg pace...

Friday 1st....... 9 miles..... 1.03.05... 7.01 avg pace...

Ran miles 4.5 through 8.5 is 6.30 avg pace just to keep the lungs ticking over.... V warm this afternoon with little or no wind.....

Saturday 2nd.... 9 miles..... 1.04.39..... 7.11 avg pace....

Sunday 3rd..... 4.5 miles....32.27.... 7.13 avg pace....

Happy with the weeks milage but have to ramp it up starting tomorrow.... Berlin's fast approaching....

Milage For Week : 49.5
    Milage For Year : 1085.64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Are you following any plan in particular or just building up the mileage, How many long ones are you planning for Berlin?

I see you have a lot of pacing gigs coming up in the next few months....

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you following any plan in particular or just building up the mileage, How many long ones are you planning for Berlin?

I see you have a lot of pacing gigs coming up in the next few months....

Im not going to follow any specific plan as per usual but im going to
    incorporate some of the sessions discussed in this brillant thread :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056285981

As regards long runs Im hopefully going to do 18 miles later in the week...

While training 4 previous marathons the lack of long runs is one regret I have so the plan this time is to do at least 1 long run each week from now on... Looking forward to the pacing gigs alright...

Monday 4th... 13.5 mile progressive run... 1.39.49... 7.24 avg pace

1st 4.5 miles : 7.47 avg pace
    2nd 4.5 miles : 7.09 avg pace
    3rd 4.5 miles : Plan was to run these at 6.36 avg pace... 1st 2 miles went to plan but then started feeling unwell ( was tired doing these and not very well hydrated )so slowed up on 3rd mile and slowly jogged the remaining 1.5 miles home..

Tuesday 5th.... 4.5 miles recovery....34.53.... 7.45 avg pace

Wednesday 6th..... 9 miles.....1.07.04....7.27 avg pace....

Thursday 7th......Rest Day

Friday 8th.....9 miles....59.29.....6.37 avg pace...

half mile warmup followed by 8 miles at a fair good clip and half mile cooldown... Tired after this run....

Saturday 9th.....18 miles lsr.... 2.17.19..... 7.38 avg pace...

Felt fine after yesterdays run and really enjoyed this... Longest run since Conn Ultra....Lovely weather this morning...Got into nice rythm and the miles flew by... Didnt speed up at any stage ( will incorporate faster miles in the coming weeks )... Was happy to plod around and really felt good....

Sunday 10th.... 9 miles.... 1.07.01... 7.27 avg pace

Nice few miles to finish off a good week.... I've 2 work a bit harder on my interval/ tempo stuff but overall happy where I am atm....

Milage For Week : 63
    Milage For Year : 1148.64

Monday 11th.... 4.5 miles....34.13... 7.36 avg pace... Handy run to start the week..

Tuesday 12..... 9 miles....1.03.36.... 7.04 avg pace

1 mile warm up followed by
    8 by 4 minutes fastish with 90secs recovery between sets and
    just over 1 mile cooldown....

always find these sessions a struggle but happy with the way it went...

Wednesday 13th..... 9 mile recovery...1.10.22.... 7.49 avg pace,,,

Thursday 14th.... 4.5 miles ....31.02...6.53 avg pace...

Friday 15th......Enforced Rest Day.... Was planning on miles at PMP but didnt/couldnt get out of work til very late so no running....

Saturday 16th.... 18 mile progressive run...2.11.14....

Got out early this morning in the wind and rain.... 4 laps of my local 4.5 mile circuit

1st lap: 8.05 avg pace
    2nd lap: 7.40 avg pace
    3rd lap: 7.00 avg pace
    4th lap: 6.35 avg pace with cooldown for last half mile....

Fould latter stages of this run tough with the wind blowing and happy to have it completed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Wednesday 13th..... 9 mile recovery...1.10.22.... 7.49 avg pace,,,

Thursday 14th.... 4.5 miles ....31.02...6.53 avg pace...

Friday 15th......Enforced Rest Day.... Was planning on miles at PMP but didnt/couldnt get out of work til very late so no running....

Saturday 16th.... 18 mile progressive run...2.11.14....

Got out early this morning in the wind and rain.... 4 laps of my local 4.5 mile circuit

1st lap: 8.05 avg pace
    2nd lap: 7.40 avg pace
    3rd lap: 7.00 avg pace
    4th lap: 6.35 avg pace with cooldown for last half mile....

Fould latter stages of this run tough with the wind blowing and happy to have it completed...
    nice run there liamo. Berlin your training for is it>?

Sunday 17th....9 miles approx....1.08.52.....7.39 avg pace

After work headed to PP and ran the trails... It seems like an age since I last ran in the Park so this was an enjoyable one... Despite the recent rain the trails are in good condition so my runners didnt get destroyed!!... Ran down the S-Bends with the wind on my back so could'nt resist cutting loose for a short while...other than that it was nice and slow....

Milage For Week : 54
    Milage For Year : 1202.64

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    nice run there liamo. Berlin your training for is it>?

How's it going Forrest :P... Yep Berlin it is 4 me... It will b my last raced marathon 4 a while ... Im hopefully then going 2 follow in ur footsteps and tackle the longer stuff with Conn Ultra my main focus post Berlin ... Fair play with all the recent achievements and already looking forward to ur report from Belfast next week :eek:.... Best of luck...

• Advertisement

Monday 18th....9 miles....1.03.05... 7 mins avg pace...

Took it easy for 1st 4.5 miles and then picked it up a bit.....

Tuesday 19th.... 9 miles recovery ..... 1.08.05... 7.34 avg pace
    Jez I've " theboyblunder syndrome ":eek:... I really should have ran these miles slower...

Wednesday 20th..... 11 miles interval... 1.18.05... 7.05 avg pace...

Basically mile easy / mile hard

Miles 2,4,6,8 and 10 ; 5.59, 5.52, 5.48, 5.45 and 5.51

Well pleased with these... Basic speed isnt a strong point 4 me but Im improving.... Fastest set of training miles Ive ever run.... I know my recovery period is alot longer that the 90 seconds or so recommended but atm I believe this format is of more benifit to me....

Advertisement