Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck Liamo if Barca is anything to go by you will be flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

thats poxy luck on the rostering - rest up buddy!

Enjoy the race and good luck! Wish I was doing it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

thats poxy luck on the rostering - rest up buddy!

Enjoy the race and good luck! Wish I was doing it.....

Thanks Stephen... Up now so hopefully sleep well tonight... Looking forward to it ( sort off :eek: ) ... Im probably going to give it a proper go next year so u can join me !!

Best of luck Liamo if Barca is anything to go by you will be flying.

Tks man... Heading into unknown waters :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck Sunday. Don't sweat the sleep problem .... get what kip you can and it'll be ok on the day. After Barca you know you're in great shape. (Can't believe you ran up and down Montjuc a few days later!)

Friday 8th...... Rest Day

Saturday 9th.....4.5 miles v easy...38.20....

Got out early and jogged around my usual route... Bags backed and off the the back end of Cavan to attend Mrs L's nieces christening... A bit of carb loading, offload the kids and the head for Cliften...Thankfully I like driving!!

Best of luck to all tomorrow and hopefully I'l get to meet some of ye before, during and after...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Best of luck tomorrow!

Watch time 5.11.00.... Got to marathon distance comfortable in 3.18.30 approx but my god the hills on the last half tore me to shreds!!! took a couple of walking breaks and finished well.... Well pleased..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great time Liamo, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Well done Liamo.
    That's a very solid time particularly considering Barcelona would still be in the legs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Savage running, well done :)

very impressed liam (and a little jealous)

Great time, you must have had a good placing with that too. Congrats!

Sunday 10th...Conn Ultra...5.11.06....

Pre Race
    Myself and Mrs L took the scenic route to Cliften , from Ratoath via Bunboy in Cavan so after 5.5 hrs of driving we were shattered.. After picking up my number we had bite to eat and went to bed early... Next morning I grabbed some breakfast and headed 2 pick up the bus which was departing at 7.20am. I arrived bang on time to discover the bus had gone without me and 2 other runners..Great start 2 the day:pac:... After making a few enquiries it was decided that one of the lads would drive to Peacock's so thankfully we got there in plenty of time...

At Peacocks I met up with Memoscemo, Oisin11178, Aimman and Sarsfieldsrock and after a quick briefing we made out was to the start...

Race
    When the race commenced I immediately got running with Ray from Waterford. Little did I know we would b spending the next 27.5 miles running side by side... After about 2 miles we caught up with 2 ladies from Athenry A/c, Magnet and Ruthann both of whom had run so well in a recent 24hr race...At this stage we were running about 7.45 minute miles..We were soon accompanied by a runner from Eagle A/c...Magnet took the lead and picked up the pace a bit as she was determined to keep the lead female within eye shot and I was happy to tag along( she is one tough lady )...Ruthann eased off at this stage... At about 6 miles I needed to take a P so despite Magnets advice that I should P as I go :) I briefly stopped and soon rejoined the group.. The Eagle A/c runner then moved ahead and I was tempted to go with him but decided against it and considering how I struggled later on it was a wise move.. At mile 5 I took my 1st gel and at mile 10 picked up my bag with contained 500mils of Hi5 sports drink a banana and a powerbar..I had never eaten this type of powerbar before and it was horrible but I forced it down anyway..

At about mile 11 myself and Ray moved ahead of Magnet and at this stage our pace was approx 7.30 minute pm...We soon caught up with the tail end of the marathon runners and at mile 14 we passed the lead female... At mile 15 I took another gel and 19 I got my 2nd drop off bag. This time a did'nt go near the powerbar.... Im usually more than happy to run alone but I have to say it was great to have company and the miles flew by as myself and Ray chatted away and admired the beautiful landscape...

At about mile 20 we passed another Ultra runner and at mile 22 we were passed ourselves by Paul another of the Eagle A/c runners.. Our paths were to cross on many occasions between now and the finish... At mile 25 I took another gel and got to marathon distance at 3.18.30 approx feeling ok.. I found the hill out of Leenane tough and it was this stage I knew Ray was stronger than me and told him to push on as I needed to p again... I told him I'd catch up but knew we were not going to meet again until the finish line...

Between mile 28 and the finish it was all about myself and Paul... We both went through bad patches and passed each other at least 5 times... At mile 29 I got the last of my drop off bags but was in no mood to eat so only took the Hi5 drink.. Shortly after the next hill arrived and it tore me to shreds.. I struggled to get up it and at this stage decided to walk for a while ( about 1 minute ).. Looking back i took the easy way out.. Ive never walked before in any marathon and if there were more spectators around and I had my Ipod I would have fought on but I was physically exhausted but more importantly mentally fu!ked... Mile times were now about 10min pace and when I got to the base of the Hell of the West I walked again for about 30secs.. I ran as hard as I could up that final hill almost catching up with Paul but just could'nt reel him in..... pushed hard on the downhill to the finish getting home in 5.11.06 good enough for 11th place.. I was so relieved to finish and it was great to c Mrs L waiting for me...At the finish I met up and congratulated Ray who came in under 5hrs....

I then had the nicest cup of soup and tuna sambo I've ever tasted :D

Looking Back
    With about 8 miles to go I swore I'd never return to Conn but now off course I've changed my oponion...The Ultra was a great experience and Im proud of my achievement... I know with the proper training I could go quicker ( if only running was that simple :) )....I will sign up for Conn 2012....I've never done any hill training for the simple reason that all the marathons I've raced did'nt have hills to contend with.. This had to change... Im going to rest up for a couple of weeks and then get back on the horse..... Next up for me is Berlin in September which I think will b the last marathon I race.... Then if I stay fit, healthy, motivated and finally kick that stupid habbit of mine I will focus on Conn '12.....

BTW... Magnet has assured me her report from the 24hr race is almost complete and will b posted in the near future:eek:

Milage For Week : 71.3
    Milage For Year : 662.80

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

well done liamo. Decent time. under 5 next time around:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done Liam, Great going. Sounds tough.

Macanri wrote: »
    Well done Liam, Great going. Sounds tough.

Tks Macanri... Tough but enjoyable.. Had good chat with a club woman of urs.. Cant remember her name but she ran marathon is excellent time.. Her pal and Mrs L got on v well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done Liamo. Congrats!

I took the week off after Conn to let the body recover and I have to say I didnt miss the running one bit..Still buzzing the day after Conn but that dissappeared when I heard the terrible news about Eddie ( Sarsfieldrock )... Lets hope Eddie makes a swift recovery.....Ate loads ( mostly sh!te ), had a few beers including a quick visit to the Boards gathering last Thursday night and basically chilled...

Monday 18th.....9 miles steady...1.03.51
    This was supposed to b a nice slow re introduction to running but after the 1st mile I felt great so decided to push it a bit... Fab day for a run...

Tuesday 19th.....5.5 miles slow...45.59...
    Legs felt alot heavier than yesterday so nice and slow did it.....Again weather fab.... Long may it last !!

Wednesday 20th....5.5 miles....42.36...

For once Im going to follow a specific training plan and as my Pb's for the shorter distances are crap where better to start than with the Runnersworld 8 Week 10k Schedule....
    Session : 1 mile warmup then 8 by 80secs flat out ( i think!) with 2 mins slow jog recovery between reps and 1 mile cooldown.... Im not used to this type of hardship :( and struggled for the last 2 reps but got through it all the same....

Thursday 21st....7.5 miles slow...59.48...
    During this run I worked hard to keep the pace at 8min mile...Ive a habbit of doing my slow runs too fast so from now on slow means slow!!

This afternoon I heard about the sad passsing away of Eddie.. I first came across Sarsfieldrock on the Barcelona Marathon 2011 thread. Eddie's main concern pre marathon was to find a pub that would show the GAA which he indeed found...I was fortunate to meet him in the George Payne after the marathon and a nicer man u could'nt meet... It didnt take me long to realise he was passionate about running, Tipp hurling and GAA in general ( and was a good darts player aswell!!).. I also met him before the Conn Ultra and I along with the other Boardies gave him a right slagging about bringing his Ipod on the run but it was water off a ducks back to Eddie!!... Boards A/R/T will sadly miss Eddie's informed input... RIP Sarsfieldrock...

Friday 22nd....6.5 miles....47.50...

Programme wanted 35-40 mins light fartlek... Wasnt really sure what that meant so basically ran miles 1,3 and 5 slow with miles 2, 4 and 6 fairly fast; 6.32, 6,32 and 6.20....Enjoyable session

Saturday 23rd.... 9 miles easy.....1.09.47....

Sunday 24th....5.5 miles....39.50...

1.5 mile warmup then 3 miles tempo and 1 mile cooldown.. Wasnt up for it today and as a result half hearted effort...

Milage For Week : 48.5
    Milage For Year : 711.30

• Advertisement

Monday 25th.......4.5 relaxing miles....32.23...

Tuesday 26th.....Stuck at work for most of day so no running......

Wednesday 27th......11 miles..... 1.22.25..

Was supposed to b running intervals Tuesday so decided to incorporate them into todays slow run...

4.5 mile warmup at 8mm then
    6 intervals of 3 mins flat out followed by 2 mins slow recovery
    2.5 mile cooldown at about 7.45mm....

Really enjoyed this and found them more comfortable that last weeks ones.... Weather fab so life is good :pac:

Got my splits from Conn Ultra today : 1.39.22 , 1.39.10 and 1.52.33:(
    Really blew up on last 3rd so determined to go back in 2012 with proper training and give it a right go... Once I get Berlin out of the way in Sept my focus will b totally on Conn...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

11 39113 Liam O Neill Male Ultra Sen 01:39:22 01:39:10 01:52:33 5:11:07 5:11:06
    Your doing yourself out of 7 mins bud:D

22 39047 Frank mc dermott Male Ultra Sen 01:50:52 01:51:48 01:48:27 5:31:14 5:31:07
    Thats the way to do it:D
    Although id take your time:D

Thursday 28th.......4.5 miles...32.01

Friday 29th.....9 miles tempo run....1.05.29...

Started off slow and gradually built it up... Miles 4, 5 and 6; 6.40, 6.20 and 6.07 before slowing down... Enjoyable run in warm conditions...

Saturday 30th and Sunday 1st....... Rest Days

My youngest had a nasty fall off her bike yesterday... cuts, bruises and concussion so had to head into Temple St.... Mrs L stayed with her overnight and thankfully she was a different girl this morning.. Got ok to bring her home this afternoon so running took a back seat for the weekend....

Milage For Week : 29
    Milage For Year : 740.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Yeah, kids seem to have an urge to embrace mother Earth once in a while. My eldest girl did the same, and we had the usual "stay awake" sessions...helmets are fine, but when you faceplant, they're not great.

"Mrs L stayed with her overnight and thankfully she was a different girl this morning"... I must try that with my wife :) -

glad the little one is ok liam

brownian wrote: »
    Yeah, kids seem to have an urge to embrace mother Earth once in a while. My eldest girl did the same, and we had the usual "stay awake" sessions...helmets are fine, but when you faceplant, they're not great.

"Mrs L stayed with her overnight and thankfully she was a different girl this morning"... I must try that with my wife :) -
    glad the little one is ok liam

Tks lads... She's fine now and took pleasure in showing her teacher and class mates her few small war wounds:)... Valuable lesson learned by all in my family from this....

Monday 2nd.... 4.5 miles steady...30.57....

Tuesday 3rd....13.5 miles...1.38.32.....

1st 4.5 miles warmup avg 7.40 mm....then,
    6 sets of 4 min fast with 3 min slow jog recovery inbetween... and,
    3.5 mile cooldown avg 7.40mm

Again enjoyed this session and a good test with a strong wing blowing.....

Wednesday 4th.... 6 miles slow.....47.17.... Nice and slow recovery....

Thursday 5th........7.5 mile approx....1.00.45

Ran the walls of the park steady and then did some hillwork up the Kyper Pass... I've a dull pain at the back of my right knee for the last while and this got worse as I was warming down from this session....

Friday 6th and Saturday 7th.... Rest Days
    Rested as knee was quite sore...

Sunday 8th........9 miles slow....1.11.09...
    Slow run to test out the knee... Dull pain still there but not too bad....

Two weeks in a row with poor milage.. Hopefully pick it up next week....

Milage For Week : 33
    Milage For Year : 773.4

Sunday 9th through to Monday 23th I ran the grand total of 32 miles :( due to work commitments so was delighted to get back on the horse....

Tuesday 24th..... 9 miles....1.07.01.... Plan for this week is to get some milage back in the legs and from next monday focus on Berlin in Sept.. All sorts happening weather wise..

Wednesday 25th... as above....1.05.21

Thursday 26th... As above... 1.07.14... weather unreal.. always windy but one minute its sunny the next its pissing down..

• Advertisement

Friday 27th....9 miles....1.03.22....mini tempo session with miles 3 and 4; 6.35, 6.30 and miles 7 and 8 ; 6.30, 6.26....

Saturday 28th... 9 miles easy....1.07.32....

Sunday 29th....Rest Day...

1st half decent week of running since Conn so hopefully I can build from here...

Milage For Week : 45
    Milage For Year : 850.4

Advertisement