Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Tuesday 25th.....4 laps of local villlage........10.4 miles......1.14.56.

Got out at 6pm and had really good run...Conditions ideal....... a bit of wind and rain and a couple of small hills to navigate...One of my best sessions in recent times...

Wednesday 26th.....Rest Day

Thursday 26th........10.4 miles....1.15.57...

Same as Tuesday.....4 laps of 2.6 mile circuit around village

Laps 1,2 and 4 nice and comfortable...........20.15, 19.53, 19.02.......I decided to run almost flat out on lap 3................16.42..

Up until v recently I did all my running before nightfall but Im getting 2 like this "night running"..Only disadvantage is Im not a fan of eating late dinners!!!

Friday 28th.......8 miles approx...1.02.16....

Ran walls of the park and finished up with Kyber Pass at 10k pace....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

liamo123 wrote: »
    Friday 27th.......8 miles approx...1.02.16....

Ran walls of the park and finished up with Kyber Pass at 10k pace....

ouch - not the road id like to finish up at 10k pace ;) Nice one.

Not long to go now! Looking forward to it? You should consider investing in a garmin. Pricey but definitlely worth it IMO.

ouch - not the road id like to finish up at 10k pace ;) Nice one.

Not long to go now! Looking forward to it? You should consider investing in a garmin. Pricey but definitlely worth it IMO.

Am looking forward to Barca....After a couple of weeks when my motivation was'nt great Im feeling more confident and training is progressing well.... Im just concentration on my milage atm and not following any specific plan... I will get a Garmin at some stage :) but atm Im do most of my training on local roads where I know the km and mile markers intimately !!

Best of luck tomorrow..As Gringo said in ur training log, running in a group is great so if ur feeling strong push and c where it takes u!!!

• Advertisement

Saturday 29th........20 miles..........2.32.45..

4 laps of 4.5 mile local circuit plus 2 miles........I threw a few quicker miles in during the run.. Miles 3 and 4........7.34, 7.34
    Miles 7.5 and 8.5...7.20, 7.22
    Miles 12 and 13.....6.57, 6.58
    and Miles 16.5 and 17.5...6.53, 7.06..

Initially my plan was for 8m miles for the remainder but a kept going under no matter how hard I tried so avg was about 7.45...

Fuel used: 250 mils water. 250 mils Viper and half banana..

Lovely morning for a run, felt great throughout except 4 last couple when got tired.. Well pleased all the same...

Sunday 30th......6.5 miles approx.........51.24..

Ran a few laps of Polo Grounds in pp 2 keep the legs ticking over after yesterdays long run...

59.8 miles for week
    218.55 miles for year

Monday 31th....10.4 miles......1.18.27..

Again laps of local village with the aid of street lighting......My legs are in a heap atm... Might have to get a rub soon which im dreading.... The last time I go a proper massage was many moons ago in my footballing days and I can still remember the pain !!

Tuesday 1st...Rest Day..

Wednesday 2nd.......7 miles...49.01..

Mild but windy so conditions perfect for training run..

Thursday 3rd and Friday 4th...no running..

Mrs L headed off Wed night on a work junket so I had great intentions of getting plenty of training done once kids were dispatched to school.....Unfortunately not..

Thusday morning my youngest was sick and today my eldest sick as a dog so both at home...Mam home late tonight and I cant wait!!

Hopefully I will hit the park tomorrow morning and get running again..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There's a big group of us heading out at 11 from the papal car park. Why don't you join us?

menoscemo wrote: »
    There's a big group of us heading out at 11 from the papal car park. Why don't you join us?

Cheers M...If I can get things sorted here I'l b there...

Saturday 5th.....13.5 miles...1.34.45..

Was going to join the crew in the Park 4 long run but was awake early so decided to run local route and concentrate on get miles in a PMP..6.49 or so..

1 mile warmup followed by miles as follows : 6.51, 6.51, 6.55, 6.38, 6.34, 6.47, 6.41, 6.55, 6.50, 6.55 and 6.55....... 1.5 mile cooldown

I always find these runs tough and the time variations while not intentional didnt worry me.. Come marathon day I always find running MP so much easier... I must invest in a Garmin sometime soon!!

After 2 day of no running was happy with this session and hopefully I'l get a long one in tomorrow..

Sunday 6th... No running :(

Long story but briefly : My daughter has not been well for few days so this morning Mrs L decided to ring and make appointment with out of hours doctor in Navan..

Ive also not been feeling great for last while ( exhausted but not sleeping etc ) I put it down to a mixture of work and training.. Early this week a gland in my neck also became inflamed and this progressively got worse.. Im fine running but when I bend or lie down it becomes quite uncomfortable..

Anyway following telephone conversation with Doctor it transpired our daughter didnt need 2 visit him thank god but Mrs L happened to tell him my predictment and he asked to speak to me on phone :confused:..He strongly advised me to visit my own GP tomorrow to get neck seen 2,blood tests etc but directed me not 2 run today... Was still tempted to get a few miles in but Mrs L put down her foot and said no!!

So Doc it is tomorrow, hopefully get sorted asap and back running

30.9 miles for week
    249.45 miles for year

hope its nothing serious liamo - back on the road in no time!

hope its nothing serious liamo - back on the road in no time!

Cheers man.. at least it happened now and not 2 or so weeks later... This time next month we'l b in a booser somewhere in Barca with our feet up:)

Monday 7th.....13 miles..1.34.47..

Nipped off work this morning to visit Doc who took bloods.. will get results Wed afternoon so fingers crossed... more importantly he didnt say I could'nt run.....

5 laps of 2.6 miles loop around village......nice relaxing run..speeded up a bit for last 2 laps...

Tuesday 8th.....5.2 miles...42.12..
    Legs sore after mondays run so took it handy tonight..

Wednesday 9th.......6.5 mile approx.....1 mile warmup followed by sets of 3mins fast with 90secs slow...Struggled with this one..I just dont feel right atm...

Thursday 10th...4.5 miles...35.06...
    This was my worst run ever :mad:.. Plan was for 13 with 5 at Mp... After about 2 miles I felt dreadful and weak with no energy levels so packed it in when I arrived back to the house after 1 loop.....

Im not one to whinge but atm I feel like sh!te.. Got the results of blood tests tis afternoon and all is fine.. I should b happy but now Im just confused... If im fine why the sudden change in energy levels etc..

A pal of mine thinks I might have overtrained.. Ive done alot of running in last couple of years but Ive never been the most committed when it comes to putting in the hard miles so Im at a loss....

Plan between now and Barca is take every day as it comes but I need 2 do a very slow LSR at weekend.. Come hell or high water I'l give 100% in Barca and will re-evaluate after that...Conn Ultra is defo in the balance atm

Rant over....Postive thoughts from now on :)

Have a look at my log, and that of dare2be, oisin11178, christeb etc. were all at the end of a tough period of training and we are all either knackered or carrying niggles.

The taper should lead to us all recovering and improving.
    Keep the chin up

Friday 11th.....Rest Day..

Saturday 12th......22 miles....3.13 approx....

Decided to gatecrash the Boards LSR and was exactly what I needed...... time on my feet, good company and good conversation.. Menoscemo Aka Forrest Gump led the way followed by Mr Ultraman Aimann and three ladies soon to run under 4 hrs for the marathon; DigiJem, Jcsmum and Rainbow Kirby.. Nice enjoyable run....

Sunday 13th...7 miles...52.04...

Mrs L was working today so couldnt get out until late afternoon... While watching the edge of the seat rugby was v tempted to crack open a can of Guinness but refrained..Glad I did... Nice run to finish off a difficult week for me...

Milage for week : 58.2..
    Milage for year : 307.65

• Advertisement

Away for the last while so have a bit of catching up to do...

Monday 14th......9 miles steady......1.03.33

Tuesday 15th......10.6 miles easy.....1.19.18

Wednesday 16th.....5.2 miles steady.....38.17

Thursday 17th...6.5 miles easy......52.26

Friday 18th.......4.5 miles easy....34.24

Saturday 19th... 9 miles tempo...1.02.35

Sunday 20th........Rest Day..

Happy with the way week went and just counting down to Barcelona at this stage..

Milage For Week : 44.8
    Milage For Year : 352.45

Monday 21st..........7.1miles easy....53.21

Tuesday 22nd.......6.5 miles.....48.44... Ran 3 miles slow and 3 miles at 6.17 pace...

Wednesday 23rd.....Rest Day

Thursday 24th.....10.4 miles tempo... 1.15.24..
    4 laps of 2.6 mile loop around village with the following splits ; 19.34, 19.06, 17.34 and 18.57... Nice and mild but windy so good test.....

Friday 25th.......5.2 miles easy....38.14

Saturday 26th....13.5 miles easy....1.40.21

Sunday 27th...4.5 miles easy....35.10

Just going through the motions atm getting the easy miles in...

Milage for Week : 47.2
    Milage for Year : 399.65

The dreaded week

God I hate the week coming up to a marathon...It goes so slow, u overanalyse every little niggle, was distance to run/ at what pace and so on... I just want to b at the start line at this stage!!!

Monday 28th...Rest day..

Tuesday 1st...4.5 miles.....30.45....threw a couple of miles in at Mp

Wednesday 2nd....5.7 miles easy....43.06

This morning I had a proper sports massage for the 1st time..sort of dreading this but it was great ( if a little painful !).. The physio said my legs were in good shape except for the IT bands that were a bit tight..She showed me some stretches to do... Money very well spent and legs feel great after the rub.. Will defo go back before Conn..

Headed out tis evening to test out my new legs... They feel great!!

Thursday 3rd.......Rest Day

Friday 4th......6.5 miles.......46.38.. Nice relaxing run with a couple of hard miles thrown in to keep the heart and lungs ticking over!!... mile 3 and 5 : 6.10 and 6.01 ( fastest time i've ever run a mile )... dun and dusted until marathon on Sunday...

Equally nervous and excited at the prospect... As per usual despite my best intentions I didnt stick to a training plan and just did my own thing so hopefully i've enough of the hard stuff done... Also not feeling 100% recently, Enduro's recent thread really struck a cord with me... Having said that I just love the marathon day experience, have a good engine and will give it my best shot... 1sec Pb will do nicely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck on Sunday!

Saturday 5th....Rest Day

Arrived in Barca early and made my way to the Expo.. Spent a bit of time there looking around and grabbed some pasta... Headed off to hotel and later had my usual pre marathon meal in Mc Donalds; chicken wrap, chicken cesar salad and cofee... Went to bed early and for once slept well....

Sunday 6th..... Barcelona Marathon....2.56.06..

Pre Race

Got up early, got breakfast and jogged the 1.5 mile to the start....Before entering the starting pen I decided the local plants needed watering so found quiet place to do my business.. While there I got speaking to another Paddy and soon found out it was Macanri..... Where would u c it.... 15,000 people pottering around and the 1st person I meet is a Boardie!!!.....We wished each other luck and headed off to our respective pens... I was in the 3 to 330 pen and made my way up to the front.. About 5 minutes before start I noticed the 2.45, 3 and 3.15 pacers in the 1st pen side by side.. When race started they headed offf together which I thought was very unfair especially for runners behind me hoping to run with the 3.15 pacers...

The Race

My plan from weeks ago was to follow the 3hr pacers until 28K and push from there if possible.. However this went out the window when I crossed the start line as the above mentioned pacers were long gone... So I decided to head off faster than I was comfortable with in an effort to catch the 3hr lads...After 3k I passed the 3.15 pacers and at about 6k got to the tail of the 3hr lads.. There I noticed a runner wearing an Irish top so decided to say hello.. Would u belief he was another Boardie ( sorry bud I cant remember your name ).. I ran with him for a while but decided to push on even though I knew I'd pay 4 it later...

The Km's just flew by and nothing much to report...I took my 1st Powerbar gel at 10k and another one at 20k... I got to halfway in 1.27.29 way too fast but decided what the hell just keep going...

Things turn pearshaped

Everything was going fine until exactly 28K when things started to get tough and a little worrying ... My calfs and quads were giving out and my energy levels were low.. I've experienced all these before so knew what to do.... what I did'nt have experience of was the heat, constant thirst and the pins and needles in my right hand and arm.... I took my 3rd gel at 30k and washed it down with alot of water.. At this stage I also turned on my Ipod, turned the volume up and just focused on the music.. I forced another gel down at 35k and thankfully the pins and needles disappeared... I knew I was slowing but was still passing more runners than were passing me... i was still way ahead of schedule so I just dug deep, and pushed as hard as I could... I was never so happy in my life to cross the finish line as I was running on empty... 2nd half 1.28.37...

I was fuc!ed and just kept drinking and eating the goodies available until I felt slightly better.... i then queued for a massage but didnt stay long as Pedro and Manuel were getting a bit 2 intimate for my liking :pac:.. so as they say in the Sunday World I made my excuses and left :D

Km times from my trusted Lidli watch were as follows;

Km 1-10 ; 4.14, 4.13, 4.07, 4.19, 4.04, 3.59, 4.08, 4.08, 4.08, 4.08,

Km 11-20 ; 4.03, 4.03, 4.04, 4.09, 4.17, 4.10, 4.05, 4.09, 4.14, 4.11,

Km 21-30 ; 4.04, 3.59, 4.04, 4.07, 4.13, 4.18, 3.55, 4.14, 4.05, 4.12,

Km 31-40 ; 4.14, 4.13, 4.09, 4.15, 4.15, 4.19, 4.20, 4.16, 4.10, 4.18

Km 40-Finish 4.10, 4.13, .46

Later that afternoon I met up will numerous Boardies in the Geroge Payne and we had a right good session.. It was a great way to finish off a brill experience.....

Milage For Week ; 42.9
    Milage For Year ; 434.55

super time liamo - and a decent chunk off a recent PB to boot!

Monday 7th....9 miles approx....1.28.49...

Woke up Monday morning with no ill effects from the previous days drinking but my legs especially my quads were in bits.. Headed off for long walk to loosen them up and got a few bits for the crew at home...

Now that Barca was over my training for Conn was about to start so I headed out on a slow recovery run.. I plodded towards the marina and down towards the beach.. Again it was a beautiful day with a nice sea breeze to keep me cool.. Ran along the beach front for 20mins then headed back to the hotel...

My hotel is situated at the foot of Montjuic so at the last minute I decided to do a bit of hill training ( silly boy :pac: ).. Plodded up it for a couple of miles until I got to the Castell de Montjuic where I briefly stopped and admired the view.... Now the fun started... Good God the pain in my quads running down was unreal and at one point I had to stop and walk.. Got back to the hotel at last and jumped into a cold bath for 20 mins which gave a bit of relief!!

Tuesday 8th ..........Rest Day... legs still in bits

Wednesday 9th... Rest Day......as above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Congratulations Liamo on your new PB. Very impressed that the day after a marathon and a night on the beer you can still get out for a run. Good luck in Connemara.

Advertisement