Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

liamo123 wrote: »

Sunday 6th..... Barcelona Marathon....2.56.06..
    You make it seem like you were struggling but 2:56 is a pretty impressive time and you are continuing to improve.
    Why do you think you got "pins and needles" during the race?

I am sure Pedro was only trying to help, and my adductor muscles are often tight after a race, but I don't think a massage is a great idea after a fast marathon. A few days later is better. The body is too sore and tender to benefit from it. Plenty of walking to keep circulation going is a better idea.

3 hour marathon standard is roughly equivalent to a sub 5 in Connemara Ultra but a lot depends on how quickly you can recover from Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Caprica wrote: »
    Congratulations Liamo on your new PB. Very impressed that the day after a marathon and a night on the beer you can still get out for a run. Good luck in Connemara.

Tks Caprica... I just love the marathon day experience... In the pub I also drank alot of water to keep hydrated...
    mithril wrote: »
    You make it seem like you were struggling but 2:56 is a pretty impressive time and you are continuing to improve.
    Why do you think you got "pins and needles" during the race?

I am sure Pedro was only trying to help, and my adductor muscles are often tight after a race, but I don't think a massage is a great idea after a fast marathon. A few days later is better. The body is too sore and tender to benefit from it. Plenty of walking to keep circulation going is a better idea.

3 hour marathon standard is roughly equivalent to a sub 5 in Connemara Ultra but a lot depends on how quickly you can recover from Barcelona.

Mithril to b honest I keep surprising myself... Marathon day brings the best out of me... The pins and needles were a worry... I just presumed it was because I got dehydrated.. Thankfully they went as quick as they arrived...

As regards Conn I've had a strange couple of days.... I want to give it my best shot yet Im not sure if i'l b able for it..As I result I emailed the organisators yesterday looking to defer, thought about it last night and then emailed them today looking to b reinstated... Have got no reply as of yet to either email... Am down with a head cold atm so plan is to relax until Monday then get a few short runs in and hopefully a 30 miler tomorrow week....

I've got great confidence from my performance in Barcelona and am going 2 give Berlin or Dublin a right lash later in the year... Ive alot of things to work on between now and then .. Most important is to quit the cigs once and 4 all... its fuc!ing embarrassing and silly, get a more structured training plans together, do more speed work and maybe do some gym sessions as my Oh says ive gone 2 skinny and need to tone up ( as per usual she's right )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Good man Liamo, Great to meet you over the water... literally.
    Congrats again on a great performance.
    I can't believe you went out for a 9 mile run the next day, - painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Liamo well done in barca:D
    Whats the pace for conn btw?

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Liamo well done in barca:D
    Whats the pace for conn btw?

Tks Frank.. As regards pace im not sure yet... Im thinking of a 5ish hr finish at best so I'l probably go out at 7.40ish pace and c how it goes but all up in the air atm .....I dont want 2 b on my hands and knees at 35 miles at get a kick up the arse by a certain individual :pac:

• Advertisement

Have not run since Monday.... Came down with a cold when I returned from Barcelona so took it easy...Earlier in the week I was going to defer Conn but decided what the hell give it a lash.. Have spent alot of timing reading previous Conn Ultra experiences ( tks Thomas and Krusty ) and have taken on board alot of tips the most inportant being ; start slow, get the nutrition and hydration right and leave plenty in the tank for the last 13 miles... Will get back running tomorrow and hopefully get a long run in next Saturday..

Milage For Week ; 9
    Milage For Year ; 443.55

Monday 14th..........9 miles.......1.09.54...

Nice to get back running..Legs feel Ok.. Miles ranged from 8.15 to 7.30..

Liamo htfu with the lsr:D
    See you in conn mate, at the sart line anyway. Ifi see you before the end your in trouble:D

Tuesday 15th....5.5 miles easy....43.15...

Ran local route in lovely sunshine...

Wednesday 16th....7 miles approx...53.39...

Havent run in Pheonix Park for a while so it was nice to get out on the trails altough some parts were still wet and muddy.. Easy start and pushed on near the end.. Again lovely afternoon for a run and great 2 c so many people out getting some exercise ....

Thursday 17th... Busy at work so no running..

Friday 18th.....7 miles approx...51.51... Same route as Wednesday.. Again started off slow and speeded up towards end.....

Saturday 19th.....27 miles ....3.47.28..6 laps of 4.5 circuit around local roads..

Had planned on doing 30 today but left it at 27.... My pace was all over the place for the 1st 8 miles ranging from 8 to 8.55 minutes per mile but settled down then with all miles up until 22.5 ranging from 8.25 to 8.40 pm...

Was nice and comfortable until mile 18 but struggled then..Was close to packing it in when I passed the house at mile 22.5 but plodded on tough my pace slowed to about 8.55 pm.. There was no way I was passing the house again at mile 27 so called it a day...Legs very heavy and tired... Happy enough all the same..

1 litre of water and viper consumed during the run as well as Coca Pop bar and 5 custard creams :pac:

Went for swim with kids in afternoon whick aided my recovery and then enjoyed a few pints watching Ireland destroy the old enemy.. Life is good :)

• Advertisement

Sunday 20th......Busy work day so no running....

Milage For Week : 55.5
    Milage For Year : 499.05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Thursday 17th... Busy at work so no running..

Friday 18th.....7 miles approx...51.51... Same route as Wednesday.. Again started off slow and speeded up towards end.....

Saturday 19th.....27 miles ....3.47.28..6 laps of 4.5 circuit around local roads..

Had planned on doing 30 today but left it at 27.... My pace was all over the place for the 1st 8 miles ranging from 8 to 8.55 minutes per mile but settled down then with all miles up until 22.5 ranging from 8.25 to 8.40 pm...

Was nice and comfortable until mile 18 but struggled then..Was close to packing it in when I passed the house at mile 22.5 but plodded on tough my pace slowed to about 8.55 pm.. There was no way I was passing the house again at mile 27 so called it a day...Legs very heavy and tired... Happy enough all the same..

1 litre of water and viper consumed during the run as well as Coca Pop bar and 5 custard creams :pac:

Went for swim with kids in afternoon whick aided my recovery and then enjoyed a few pints watching Ireland destroy the old enemy.. Life is good :)

27 mile training run - super stuff liamo....im jealous now, wish I was able to do connemara. Hope the last few weeks goes well.

27 mile training run - super stuff liamo....im jealous now, wish I was able to do connemara. Hope the last few weeks goes well.

No need 2 b jealous TBB...Im finding it hard to get back into the swing of things... I might b biting off more than I can chew :pac:

Monday 21st....4.5 miles.... 33.01
    Had planned on doing more but I've have a bit of a chest infection for the last week or so that got progressively worse and packed it in early...

Tuesday 22nd........Rest Day... hoping chest would improve but no!!

Wednesday 23rd....9 miles ...1.07.24....
    No work today so headed to Doc this morning 2 get chest sorted... Unfortunately the place was packed so did'nt hang around... Decided instead to cough and splutter my way around a steady 9 miles .. might have done more harm than good........

Thursday 24th......13.5 miles.....1.42.39...

Friday 25th....7 miles approx...50.54...

Kept Mrs L awake half the night with my cough so was under strict instructions to get it sorted tis morning so nipped off work and paid another visit 2 the Doc.. Got some antibiotics so hopefully it will improve or im out of the family bed!!

After work ran my usual Pheonix Pk trail route and despite poxy cough felt great... Pushed hard towards end and could have kept going but under pressure for time...

Saturday 26th....18 miles...2.22.56...

Out nice and early and ran 4 laps of local route.... felt good and strong throughout with mile splits ranging from 8.14 to 7.43...

Not sure how im fixed for Conn but will take it easy for next couple of weeks..

Saturday 26th....18 miles...2.22.56...

Out nice and early and ran 4 laps of local route.... felt good and strong throughout with mile splits ranging from 8.14 to 7.43...

Not sure how im fixed for Conn but will take it easy for next couple of weeks..

Good luck in conn liamo. Here comes the pain train:D

Good luck in conn liamo. Here comes the pain train:D

We're all in unchartered waters Oisin which is sort off adding to the excitement but as u say the pain train will hit us all at some stage.. Im just hoping it arrives sometime after 30 miles and not before :pac:

Have u decided on ur race plan yet.. I'l probably leave it to race morning before deciding how 2 approach it..

We're all in unchartered waters Oisin which is sort off adding to the excitement but as u say the pain train will hit us all at some stage.. Im just hoping it arrives sometime after 30 miles and not before :pac:

Have u decided on ur race plan yet.. I'l probably leave it to race morning before deciding how 2 approach it..
    8.30 all the way hopefully. I could set out alot faster but be dead after 30 miles on those monster hills. I hope to get to 30 miles in very good nick tobe honest.

Sunday 27th... Rest Day...

Milage For Week : 52
    Milage For Year : 551.05

Monday 28th...9 mile tempo....1.05.02

2 miles warmup and next 5 miles ranged from 7.23 to 6.24 and 2.5 mile warm down... F!cking slightly twisted my left ankle coming in the driveway.. A little sore atm so plenty of ice required...

• Advertisement

Tuesday 29th....Rest Day....Ankle a little tender after Mondays mishap so took no chances....

Wednesday 30th....9 miles slow.....1.12.05

Took it nice and easy today as not sure how ankle would hold up....Thankfully it appears to b fine...

Thursday 31st....4.5 miles easy....35.27...Just about fitted small run in after work

Friday 1st April...........13.5 miles...1.41.42....

Off this morning so as soon as kids were dispatched to school I hit the roads... I've finally decided on my race plan for Conn (at least I think I have )....

1st 13.1 miles.... 1.40...7.37 pace pm
    2nd 13.1...........1.35....7.15 pace
    Last 13.1........ Take the hill out of Leenaune nice and easy and from there take every mile at it comes...

Above is subject to change !!!

Ran 1st 9 miles this morning at 7.37 pace approx and the last 4.5 at 7.15 approx... Nice and mild but quite windy... Im sure conditions for Conn might b the same...

Thursday 31st....4.5 miles easy....35.27...Just about fitted small run in after work

Friday 1st April...........13.5 miles...1.41.42....

Off this morning so as soon as kids were dispatched to school I hit the roads... I've finally decided on my race plan for Conn (at least I think I have )....

1st 13.1 miles.... 1.40...7.37 pace pm
    2nd 13.1...........1.35....7.15 pace
    Last 13.1........ Take the hill out of Leenaune nice and easy and from there take every mile at it comes...

Above is subject to change !!!

Ran 1st 9 miles this morning at 7.37 pace approx and the last 4.5 at 7.15 approx... Nice and mild but quite windy... Im sure conditions for Conn might b the same...
    Thats my approach for the last 13.1 also liamo. Take out the hil and suss out how i feel then set a pace for myself and leav nothing in the tank. Why are you going to run the second third faster by the way?

Thats my approach for the last 13.1 also liamo. Take out the hil and suss out how i feel then set a pace for myself and leav nothing in the tank. Why are you going to run the second third faster by the way?

Oisin with the exception of Barcelona i've always run negative splits in marathons ...I tend to start off conservative and progress a bit.. Im just hoping this approach will get me to 26.2 in ok shape and then its all in the mind :eek:

Saturday 2nd......4.5 miles .....35.32...

Not up 2 much today.. Was working last night and after 4 hrs broken sleep last thing I wanted 2 do was run but eventually got out and went through the motions for 4.5 miles.... The sooner Conn comes the better !!

Sunday 3rd.....Rest Day....

Milage For Week : 40.5
    Milage For Year : 591.55

Monday 4th....9 miles steady...1.04.34...

Out early this morning in the wind and rain... Miles ranged from 7.45 to 6.43... Counting down the days at this stage..

Tuesday 5th..... 5.5 miles slow......44.17.....

Nice and easy run in warm conditions...

Wednesday 6th..... 6.5 miles.....49.30

Ran this at about 7.37min pm...As I hope to b running 1st 13.1 miles of Ultra at that pace Im just trying to get a feel for it...

Thursday 7th...6.5 miles.... 48.09...

I've said it before but I hate the week prior to a Marathon or in this case an Ultra but this week is really taking the mick...

Im rostered on nights 4 the week...Ive never been the best of sleepers but I find sleeping during the day next to impossible and am getting by on about 4 hours broken sleep each morning... Im knackered and am going around the house like a bear with a sore head :).. Tk god once I get tonight over Im on leave so hopefully I have time to adjust the body clock before Sundays run...

Plan for todays run was:
    Miles 1,3 and 5 at 7.37 pace pm and 2, 4 and 6 at 7.15 pace with .5 mile cooldown.. Worked out fairly well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Thursday 7th...6.5 miles.... 48.09...

I've said it before but I hate the week prior to a Marathon or in this case an Ultra but this week is really taking the mick...

Im rostered on nights 4 the week...Ive never been the best of sleepers but I find sleeping during the day next to impossible and am getting by on about 4 hours broken sleep each morning... Im knackered and am going around the house like a bear with a sore head :).. Tk god once I get tonight over Im on leave so hopefully I have time to adjust the body clock before Sundays run...

Plan for todays run was:
    Miles 1,3 and 5 at 7.37 pace pm and 2, 4 and 6 at 7.15 pace with .5 mile cooldown.. Worked out fairly well...

Tough station with the sleep deprivation. That'd wreck me.

Enjoy your sleep,when you finally get it!

Advertisement