Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WikiLeaks & Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Did you notice just about all of their replies basically say "you cant prove anything" rather than "we didn't had nothing to do with it".

"...smile and smile and be a villain."

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Its common knowledge Gerry Adams was in the IRA, he calls himself a republican yet seems ashamed to admit he was ever in the IRA. The man has no integrity and has lied about countless things, including the harbouring of his paedophile brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

But Pearse Doherty is such a great orator - all is forgiven....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Bertie has been convinced about things before and been wrong.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

DeVore wrote: »
    Did you notice just about all of their replies basically say "you cant prove anything" rather than "we didn't had nothing to do with it".

DeV.
    Thats pure sh!te and you know it. They say there is no evidence to make these accusations. Of course you WOULD interpret it that way. You get accused of something, you say "wait a min, you have no evidence to make such a claim!"
    There is not a shred of evidence linking republicans to the Northern Bank robbery and Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams have both made their positions crystal clear in relation to these matters in the past,

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.ie/breakingnews/ireland/wikileaks-adams-an-ira-commander-ambassador-told-485440.html#ixzz17xNxonFo

But of course don't let that get in the way of a bit of shinner bashing eh? Get your few thanks and all is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Can't say I'm surprised!
    With Sinn Fein or Bertie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

this begs the question that if the government has evidence then why has it not been used?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Bertie has been convinced about things before and been wrong.....

The thread isn't about Bertie though:(

Big wip-de-doo I say. Most people assumed he was in the IRA, why wouldn't he have been?

Senior SF politician, who created a split in SF, with connected split in the IRA.

If he was an IRA commander and if he's elected to the Dail, he won't be the first former IRA commander to serve in the Dail, DeValera, Sean McEntee, Frank Aiken. big whip dee doo, I say. If he was why didn't he admit to it is the baffler. Was he ashamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

this begs the question that if the government has evidence then why has it not been used?

to do what? prosecute?

if they knew Adams was then they knew McGuinness was also an IRA commander. Its about the Peace Process as we keep being told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Nothing really enlightening here. It's just commentary. The views of one man. Nobody's views on the events are going to change.

Curious that they infact can't prove it, now isn't it? Considering it's the biggest bank heist in modern history and they don't have a shred of evidence. You'd think someone would slip up. Oh well - Who needs evidence in Ireland, right? :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It is/was in everyones interest, IMHO, that they get away with it. Sun tzu put it best, if you want your enemy to retreat, give them an exit.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Do you all know what??

It's impossible for a normal person to follow politics at the best of times..you lot on this forum are'nt making it any easier,

I dont know how long this forum is here..but are ordinary people ever going to get the benefit of your wisdom without the presumption we know what the **** your talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

says more about the gov/bertie then it does sinn fein

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Because we mustn't upset "The peace process"

chucken1 wrote: »
    Do you all know what??

It's impossible for a normal person to follow politics at the best of times..you lot on this forum are'nt making it any easier,

I dont know how long this forum is here..but are ordinary people ever going to get the benefit of your wisdom without the presumption we know what the **** your talking about!
    Eh? Care to explain what's confusing you?

Look, don't worry, X-Factor will be on soon. :rolleyes:

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Sinn Fein weren't behind the bank robbery, the British government was, they paid a lot of the PIRA members off.

No surprise about Gerry in the IRA as we all knew that. Its nice that he has went to a different country now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

But Pearse Doherty is such a great orator - all is forgiven....

Well now we know where SF planned to come up with the money for an alternative budget.

It's such a twist isn't it, one party robbing the banks while another guarantees them.

It does beg the question of why nothing was done....and I wonder if this will be used against Adams in his run for the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Am in Drogheda If Gerry Adams doorsteps me for my vote I'll ask him who killed the Farmer Tom Oliver...Murderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Again another ''not really very damaging'' cable from wikileaks. Wasn't Ahern publicly outraged at Sinn Fein when the robbery happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

And to think that these men will likely be holding the balance of power in this country. *Shudders*

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

DeV.

I'm no supporter of Sinn Féin, far from it, but did you read the article?

tldr version: The Americans were told by Bertie that he reckoned the boys must have known what was going on because he was shown evidence that they were high up enough to have known.

He said as much at the time, this is just a record of the fact that he said it directly to the Americans too.
    Trumped up nothing story based on a heap of assumption tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

"crystal clear" - I laughed, and its nice to laugh on a Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

And to think that these men will likely be holding the balance of power in this country. *Shudders*

whether adams knew that the ira were going steal 20 million from the banks is pretty much just unprovable hearsay what is proven is that the ''bert'' let the banks steal 100s of billions from irish people , so go have another shudder when you ponder on that .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

DeV.

Adams was pretty unambiguous on Morning Ireland this morning. He was asked clearly if he knew about or had anything to do with the robbery and he said he did not. It is perfectly reasonable for Sinn Fein to highlight the lack of evidence to support these claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I bet the anti SF heads in the country woke up this morning licking their lips to this news, As has been stated there is no evidence that the IRA or in fact republicans were behind this robbery. Why on earth would anybody trust the word of Bertie Ahern in this country, after all he has done to it.

No doubt anyway people will round on this as the Gospel and fact and blow this into a much bigger thing than it is. Its only a discussion between our sham government and American officials about who we believe stole the money, if they have solid proof present it to the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

It does beg the question of why nothing was done....and I wonder if this will be used against Adams in his run for the Dail.

Nothing was done for the sake of the peace process, I'd imagine. Connecting any senior SF member to an incident like that could have derailed the peace process or would have seriously demaged it. Bertie knew about it at the time judging by his body language and tone when he spoke about it in the Dail. He was livid.

I have no doubt that similar stories will appear in the build up to the election. I would love to know why he repeatedly tried to get Jerry McCabe's killers out as part of the Belfast agreement. It is a shame to think that SF could hold the balance of power in the country. How low can we go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

COYW wrote: »
    He was livid.

Feck off, why should they have cut him in? Why? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Adams was pretty unambiguous on Morning Ireland this morning. He was asked clearly if he knew about or had anything to do with the robbery and he said he did not. It is perfectly reasonable for Sinn Fein to highlight the lack of evidence to support these claims.
    He also says he wasn't in the IRA. The man has as much credibility as Frank Fahy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if bertie told me it was daylight in the middle of the day i'd look out the window to check.
    i find bertie being convinced as a very unconvincing arguement (maybe people outside of ireland actually thought he knew what was going on anywhere)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I bet the anti SF heads in the country woke up this morning licking their lips to this news, As has been stated there is no evidence that the IRA or in fact republicans were behind this robbery. Why on earth would anybody trust the word of Bertie Ahern in this country, after all he has done to it.

No doubt anyway people will round on this as the Gospel and fact and blow this into a much bigger thing than it is. Its only a discussion between our sham government and American officials about who we believe stole the money, if they have solid proof present it to the rest of us.
    Yeah, if you can't believe people who murder children, who can you believe?

Advertisement