Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hadn't paid any attention to this game until i opened this thread,that looks great!
    The list just keeps on getting longer and longer this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not a hell of a lot of gameplay for a gameplay trailer :pac:

Looks nice though. I liked Oblivion without loving it, and then one day realised I'd been playing for 100+ hours. That's never happened before, so I'm probably going to be onboard for this one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not a hell of a lot of gameplay for a gameplay trailer :pac:

Looks nice though. I liked Oblivion without loving it, and then one day realised I'd been playing for 100+ hours. That's never happened before, so I'm probably going to be onboard for this one too.

Apparently, it's meant to be pretty much all in-game footage.

It's rendered on the 360 too, so it's going to look pretty awesome on PC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Theres a new oblivion game out? so thats what the multi page thread right above this one is about :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

titan18 wrote: »

No doubt it's "in engine" but didn't think there was much hints on how the game would actually play, bar a few brief but tantalising shots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Theres a new oblivion game out? so thats what the multi page thread right above this one is about :pac:

It's actually below it now due to your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New Skyrim thread merged with the existing 2½ month old 180+ post thread that was already on the main page. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Does MS's time-exclusive DLC deal extend to Elder Scrolls too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Hopefully not, I hate when they pull crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

titan18 wrote: »

Unless something changes before this comes out i'll be getting the console so knowing it'll look this good is of some comfort.
    Hopefully not, I hate when they pull crap like that.

So the 360 get some horse armour before the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Ah, loving the new title music. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Aww man, i'm loving that trailer. Watched it again there, and i love the bit where he uses the Dragon Shout and the music kicks in. This has definitely become my most wanted game of 2011 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Speaking of the theme, here's an interesting video I saw last week where someone combined the themes of TES III-V.

Regarding the trailer, is that the player getting a quickening from the dragon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

In Skyrim, the hero obtains different shouts from the dragons he/she defeats. The shout he uses in the trailer is probably one of the earlier ones, a "Force Shout" style knockback/stun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

This is looking great I just hope they fix the bloody levelling this time.

I want to know there are certain areas in the game world that have really powerfull enemies/treasure etc.

What I dont want is to be levelling up and then to realise that the game is levelling up with you. It ruins the whole point of having a levelling system.

In oblivion it was really bad. You would find rare armour only to find every random bandit in the place had the same armour.

You could finish oblivion on level 1. Which completley ruined the game for me.

They changed it slightly in fallout but it was still there, enemies only appearing after certain levels etc.

Morrowind had it perfect. A really enjoyable moment in that game was stumbling into a cave and fighting enemies who completley battered me. Went away and levelled up slightly, was able to take a few of them down but in the end managed to leg it through the cave get the treasure and leg it out with 4 enemies running after me knowing I had to escape because I wasnt strong enough.

THATS what I want in Skyrim!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Anxiety

i cannot wait for skyrim i loved daggerfall morrowind and oblivion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Agree with Joe, that and the repetitive combat had me really disliking oblivion after the amazing looking world wore off on me.

Any word on coop for this yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Cannot wait!

Have to buy this, mass effect 3 and the new cod, all released within aa month of each other i'd say

The one thing I loved about Borderlands was that there were areas you just didn't go near unless you were above a certain level, or else had very high powered weapons, so there was a real sense of achievement when you went in there and survived. I hope Skyrim adopts a similar style. Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game, so did any of the previous incarnations do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Frankly, I'd buy this to get a horse and ride around looking for ingredients for potions even if everything else was crap.

• Advertisement

The one thing I loved about Borderlands was that there were areas you just didn't go near unless you were above a certain level, or else had very high powered weapons, so there was a real sense of achievement when you went in there and survived. I hope Skyrim adopts a similar style. Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game, so did any of the previous incarnations do this?

Yeah, in morrowind, you didn't want to stray away from the roads or go into the water at the beginning. There was a certain amount of levelling but it was much better handled.
    Frankly, I'd buy this to get a horse and ride around looking for ingredients for potions even if everything else was crap.

I love alchemy.

Monotype wrote: »
    Yeah, in morrowind, you didn't want to stray away from the roads or go into the water at the beginning. There was a certain amount of levelling but it was much better handled.

Thanks for that. Really hope Skyrim will be the same.

Guh, the whole searching for flowers thing is the reason I couldn't be bothered with the Wizard part.

The fact that the last trailer was PEGI 18 was somewhat interesting too. Since Oblivion was 15, does this mean we could see the same level of violence that is in Fallout 3/New Vegas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I played Oblivion before Morrowind (I know, I know a stupid mistake I regret passing on) and though I've tried so many times, I just can't get into Morrowind. The graphics don't bother me at all, I think it's the combat system and all that text you have to go through kind of puts me off :pac:

Anywho, absolutely loved Oblivion and the fact that I could wander off into the wilderness for days finding all sorts of things (the troll who committed suicide was a great find :D).

The game looks ace, easily looking forward to it far more than any game or movie that will be out this year.

Yeah the combat system in morrowind is a pain in the hole but it ceases to be much of an issue after level 15. Just buy yourself a load of training and level up with easy missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Star_Cow

I hope this game wont have as many glitches as Oblivion
    I also know why there's a Scripted death scene for the Huge 4 Armed Demon guy its because hes ragdoll goes all funny

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Monotype wrote: »
    Yeah the combat system in morrowind is a pain in the hole but it ceases to be much of an issue after level 15. Just buy yourself a load of training and level up with easy missions.
    The combat was horrible in general. So many oblivion gates; you basically had about 40 gates and 5 "Templates" meaning you're basically running the same dungeon close to a dozen times. It gets verrrry boring. I hope they've gone to the effort of design unique or virtually-unique dungeons, something which would be an absolute feat, but worth it. Even Mass Effect suffered from a bunch of bland sameness on the side-missions. And I loved that game :(

Never even considering the fact that both games suffer the Level-Scaling "Bugfeature" which means you never feel like you accomplished anything because you're never faced with any challenge that hasn't been scaled to your level. In ME it's understandable if you're carrying over a lvl 45 char from your last run but even then, I kind of hate it. I'd rather there were places I was afraid to go because I would be completely overpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Agreed on the oblivion gates, between them and the enemies levelling with you I was a bit let down by it. Only in comaprison to Morrowind mind, it was a fantastic game in its own right but I'd love if Skyrim took what made both games great and expanded on that, rather than sticking to the Oblivion template.

Oblivion gates in morrowind? I meant when you begin your game that you're like
    <swish> <swish> <swish> <swish> <swish> <swish> <swish> <whack> <swish> <swish> <swish>
    and it's a bit WTF is this about. You don't notice it as much when you're a bit into the game and you're hitting them a bit more.

The oblivion gates were ridiculous. Absolute pain. I started running through them invisible. Then chameleon. Then had the akatosh dragon mod and flew directly up to the top of the towers. I liked the dungeons in Morrowind a bit more. There wasn't an Ayleid ruin, castle, cave or oblivion gate at every corner. The shrines were generally a lot smaller with a few big ones here and there. I think that they were a bit more interesting in that respect. Plus the items weren't levelled as much.

This was posted in Cool Vids and Pics and think it deserves to be here

Slightly NSFW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Apparently Skyrim will be somewhat of a middle ground between Morrowind and Oblivion with regards to weirdness. Every new piece of information I hear about this game makes me want to play it more.

Advertisement