Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

quarryman wrote: »
    wah?

I would assume that there is a list of quests that the game can pick out and put forward to the player based on certain circumstances. Perhaps various bits of quests can be put together in this manner.

To be honest though, I want to be able to play all the quests that the developer put in the game . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

BEARDS!!!!! :D No more off-colour 'stubble'.

Can't wait to put a gandalf special on a tiny wood elf.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Game Informer has blown the lid off the long-awaited sequel to Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Quite a bit has been revealed, including Fallout-style Perks, dynamic NPC interactions, a brand new engine and the ability to wear a beard. That latter news is obviously the best thing ever.
    Check out the details below. Speaking as a fan of the brilliant, if flawed, Oblivion, this new chapter sounds absolutely stellar. So stop right there, criminal scum, take a peek at the details below, presented in a handy list format, and let us know if you're as hot for the game as I am.
    • Set 200 years after Oblivion, in a snow realm north of Cyrodil called Skyrim. Set during a civil war, possibly between two brothers who will accidentally cause the world-destroying dragon Alduin to be born.
    • Player is a Dragonborne, able to slay dragons and trained by the last living Blade.
    • Ten races to choose from, players can edit bodies as well as faces.
    • Combat more dynamic with finishing moves, unique weapon attacks and the ability to forge your own from red hot metal. Dual wielding a possibility.
    • 18 skills to choose from, as well as Fallout-esque Perks
    • NPCs more dynamic. They will move around as they talk to you, rather than have the camera zoom in for a headshot. If you drop items, they will react to them -- for instance, a helpful child might try to pick up a dropped sword and return it to you, or two men could fight over your discarded loot.
    • Quests can be randomly generated and are tailored to suit your style of play. The game judges your strengths and weaknesses by logging your data, and will give your appropriate challenges.
    • Five "massive" cities that you can do many things in, such as smithing, farming, mining, woodcutting and cooking. Killing a shopkeep could lead to someone else taking the store over now, and Dragons may possibly launch attacks on towns.
    • Five magic schools: Destruction, Alteration, Conjuration, Restoration and Illusion.
    • The engine is entirely new, with dynamic snow and shadows, detailed trees, and water that flows differently depending on how the wind is blowing.
    • Confirmed enemies are zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth and saber-toothed cats.
    • Third person view has been improved.
    • Players can now sprint at the cost of stamina.
    • BEARDS CONFIRMED! YOU CAN HAVE BEARDS!

Sounds brilliant,cant wait to get my hands on it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I would assume that there is a list of quests that the game can pick out and put forward to the player based on certain circumstances. Perhaps various bits of quests can be put together in this manner.

To be honest though, I want to be able to play all the quests that the developer put in the game . . .

yeah i can see this as another way of making the game too easy as well :( i actually like picking a quest up only to get my ass handed to me by some small creature, im sure the pc version will get moded so we can play every quest fairly quickly though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The fact that they have introduced a quest based on style system would point out to me that they want people to do multiple play-throughs with different characters/skills. Not good.

Still going to get it though, loved Oblivion (and it was my first into the forray of RPG's).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Some pictures, while not the clearest, does give us some tid-bits:

http://nerdreactor.com/2011/01/10/elder-scrolls-v-pictures-and-information-revealed/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Some pictures, while not the clearest, does give us some tid-bits:

http://nerdreactor.com/2011/01/10/elder-scrolls-v-pictures-and-information-revealed/
    Spiders. Why did there have to be f*cking spiders? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

*psst!* they're not real

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

[*]Quests can be randomly generated and are tailored to suit your style of play. The game judges your strengths and weaknesses by logging your data, and will give your appropriate challenges.

This is going to be excruciating.

"Please go to [INSERT LOCATION] and defeat the [INSERT ENEMY] and bring me back the [INSERT ITEM], I will give you [LEVEL X 50] gold in return."
    *walks into random cave, kills spawned enemy, picks up irrelevant item from biggest enemy*
    *ends up at the same cave an hour later killing a different spawned enemy*

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    *psst!* they're not real
    You're not arachnaphobic! Or a coward! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Skeleton's look way more badass.

:eek:

Wow, I really hope those pictures are going to be accurate, because those graphics look fantastic!

Wow, I really hope those pictures are going to be accurate, because those graphics look fantastic!

Apparently the pictures are from an early print of the next issue of Game Informer (The crowd who did the Behind the Scenes video posted earlier)

It still looks Oblivion-ish but far more refined. Hopefully it won't be like Oblivion and chew up your machine........though it is Bethesda so.............yes, it probably will.

11/11/11 just feels like a countdown to the temporary end of my social life :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I hope these 5 'massive' cities are....well......massive. Vivec massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The Skeleton's look way more badass.

:eek:

Haha they look fantastic with the eyes. Skeletons have been my favourite monster. They have a lot of flesh on them to be skeletons.
    [*]Quests can be randomly generated and are tailored to suit your style of play. The game judges your strengths and weaknesses by logging your data, and will give your appropriate challenges.

I'd say they'd probably be simple money type quests - retrieve X from the ruins; there's a zombie in my house; I don't like non-essential-NPC#114, kill him for me. The best quests will likely be reserved for guild lines or people you are likely to meet since somebody put some effort into writing a story.

Dragons may possibly launch attacks on towns.

That sounds great. It would be hilarious running as fast as you can on lower levels and seeing what you can take on at the higher levels. I wonder how destructible environments would be. It would be funny to see a roof torn/burned from a house which might be rebuilt over time. This would depend on whether houses were separate sectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Taken from a magazine so they're not the clearest, you can still tell they are much improved over Oblivion though

I am so playing Oblivion again tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I am so playing Oblivion again tonight :D

im already back playing it, great game even tho its outdated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Great, hopefully it wont be the pile of crap that was Oblivion...mobs levelling up with you as you level...what a great idea :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Oblivion blew me away the 1st week I played it, I was in awe. But I very quickly got bored after that and found it very repetitive.

****in oblivion gates.

I dunno about you guys but I really was hoping this would have coop, would find this much more enjoyable if I could share the adventure with my friends and wouldn't mind the repetitiveness as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Sisko wrote: »
    I dunno about you guys but I really was hoping this would have coop, would find this much more enjoyable if I could share the adventure with my friends and wouldn't mind the repetitiveness as much.
    Coop sounds like a good idea...on paper. But in all honesty, do you ever expect it to work at all? Sure look at the way they left Oblivion, buggy as hell. Fallout 3 isn't the most stable of games too and let's not talk about Fallout New Vegas. Dont get me wrong, I loved their Fallout games and am currently in the thick of Oblivion (modded) and really liking it. But in all honesty, if they could just make sure the single player aspect of the game is in anyway playable out of the box I'd be very surprised. Dont really want them adding in new features if they cant get the core gameplay down right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Last time I played oblivion it was ... at least 4 years ago I think back on my PC with a mere 6800gs. Pushed my pc to its limits , couldnt believe the graphics I was seeing.

But I don't remember much of an issue with bugs. Making the game unplayble?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More updates have come in via GameInformer; at least we know now what the engine's called - Creation. The article goes into some amount of detail that - I admit - has me quite excited. Particularly the idea that how you behave in peoples' homes dictates how they react to you (no more jumping on the tables and watching the wonky physics engine shoot apples across the room)

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim/b/xbox360/archive/2011/01/17/the-technology-behind-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Thanks, I'll read that later. I hope that they react to you when you're naked like in Morrowind, only moreso. I was a bit mistified as to why they removed that in oblivion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do ye think it'll have something similar to vats in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

That article does a great job of explaining what they are attempting to do when it comes to generating random quests. I hope they manage to make it as intuitive as the article claims it will be. It would really make every players game genuinely unique.

Do ye think it'll have something similar to vats in it?
    I hope to god not. VATs is from the Fallout universe, so there's no real need for it in this game.

Hmm, some interesting bits there.

I just I don't want to wind up having a bounty of 5 and a massive, cross-country manhunt on me because I picked up a spoon in somebody's house :pac:

The idea of this "conditionalising" where places would randomly spawn is good but at the back of my head I hear "bugs!". Really hope Bethesda don't drop the ball and the bugs are kept to a minimum.

• Advertisement

Any ideas how big the world map will be?bigger than fallout?

Advertisement