Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i should hope so, bigger the better,

her is a new interview with the dev team at bethesda, its worth reading.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim/b/xbox360/archive/2011/01/17/the-technology-behind-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More good news; Skyrim will be accompanied by mod tools, so expect the new game to have as many add-ons and mods as previous Bethesda games.

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/01/19/new-creation-kit-to-bring-modding-tools-to-skyrim/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Delighted that they are releasing the tools. The modding community for Morrowind and Oblivion have been fantastic, releasing some amazing mods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I hope these 5 'massive' cities are....well......massive. Vivec massive.

Vivec was fcukin' annoying as hell to get around though.
    Otherwise, I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

bluewolf wrote: »
    Otherwise, I agree

Not without a good 'jump' enchantment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Levitation ftw!

Boots of Blinding Speed + 100% Resist Magica please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I hope they go with a Morrowind style for the cities/towns/villages of just walking straight in instead of the oblivion load-at-gates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Mantel wrote: »
    I hope they go with a Morrowind style for the cities/towns/villages of just walking straight in instead of the oblivion load-at-gates.

Yeah, that was a killer too.
    More immersive when it was morrowind-style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Remember the Acrobatics Scroll found on the guy who drops from the sky outside Sedya Neen in Morrowind? :D. Increased your acrobatics by 500 or 1000 or somthing briefly and could literally jump across the entire map in one go, although you would die on impact haha!

It's even little things like that just make the game much more enjoyable
    Yeah, that was a killer too.
    More immersive when it was morrowind-style.

It would be good, but things like hardware/software issues will have to be taken into account. They probably want to ensure a less stuttery/laggy game as possible (which suprisingly generally happens anyway in Oblivion and Fallout), incorporating a one consistent world with open borders might be tough on system requirements. Someone did do a open world mod for Oblivion where there were no gates for towns/cities, but yeah I think it did increases the FPS for players. Although I think Morrowind incorporated external cells which would load periodically when you entered new areas (albeit taking little loads constantly) which could be used again

• Advertisement

Remember the Acrobatics Scroll found on the guy who drops from the sky outside Sedya Neen in Morrowind? :D. Increased your acrobatics by 500 or 1000 or somthing briefly and could literally jump across the entire map in one go, although you would die on impact haha!

It's even little things like that just make the game much more enjoyable

I absolutely loved that bit in Morrowind. After leaving the starter town, you hear a scream. You look up and there's some guy falling from the sky. Pick up the scroll on his body, and it increases my jump you say? Lets give it a go. Weeeeeeeeeeee.....splat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Kiith wrote: »
    I absolutely loved that bit in Morrowind. After leaving the starter town, you hear a scream. You look up and there's some guy falling from the sky. Pick up the scroll on his body, and it increases my jump you say? Lets give it a go. Weeeeeeeeeeee.....splat :D

That was great! I just ran to sell his stuff and forgot about the scroll :/ Was there anything like that in Oblivion? I remember the town of invisible people but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

:(

Really wish I played Morrorwind before Oblivion. I tried to get into it but while graphics don't bother me at all I couldn't adjust to reading everything and getting used to a lesser fighting system of Oblivion. Always feels like you're not hitting the enemy.

I still have it and dammit I'll keep hacking away at it until I do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Otherwise, I agree

I spent I reckon a good few hours wandering around Vicec just being lost . . . the city was too uniformed! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I went over to the forums and there was a lot of talk about "Dragon shouts". Looked it up and it's mentioned by game informer.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/01/20/skyrim-s-dragon-shouts.aspx

Sound like greater powers in oblivion that you have to find pieces of, like schematics in fallout 3 and three levels of strength (also like schematics).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Skyrim Q&A Podcast over at Game Informer. It's nearly an hour long, so I haven't listened to it all yet. But I am loving the opening music!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Skyrim Q&A Podcast over at Game Informer. It's nearly an hour long, so I haven't listened to it all yet. But I am loving the opening music!

thanks for that.

anyone catch what he said about money during the awkward moment when he chose to dodge the question about the ending? about the 36 minutes in.

But I am loving the opening music!

It's got Morrowind written all over it, which is a great thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

pixelburp wrote: »

find it hard to believe the graphics will be as good as the screenshot of that barmaid bird at the top of that link. At least not on the 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

why? theyre not that unbeliveable.

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    why? theyre not that unbeliveable.

i can't find a suitable screenshot to compare but it just seems too much of a jump on the same hardware. Textures are MUCH better for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

quarryman wrote: »
    i can't find a suitable screenshot to compare but it just seems too much of a jump on the same hardware. Textures are MUCH better for a start.
    In fact: it's not the same hardware. The 360 has undergone several revisions since Oblivion's release (and the Original Xbox 360, long since retired and replaced by 360 Arcades and Elites, etc), getting newer motherboard, power supply, and memory specifications. I believe what was originally 256MB of Texture memory is now 512MB. And I wager code optimization helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Overheal wrote: »
    In fact: it's not the same hardware. The 360 has undergone several revisions since Oblivion's release (and the Original Xbox 360, long since retired and replaced by 360 Arcades and Elites, etc), getting newer motherboard, power supply, and memory specifications. I believe what was originally 256MB of Texture memory is now 512MB. And I wager code optimization helps too.

Has the xbox hardware spec actual been increased?

I assumed that have refined it and got cheaper components when possible rather then increase the spec. Afterall, I assume it will have to run on the first generation aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Has the xbox hardware spec actual been increased?

No, nothing changes that affects how well a 360 game runs just makes them cheaper with smaller parts and with less of a power demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Dunno why people are fixated on spears. I've not actually ever thought of using a spear to be honest. We talking throwable spears here, or what?

I love using Spears in games. Was a shame they got rid of them in Oblivion.

Completely missed it, but a slew of screenshots have been released for Skyrim:

http://kotaku.com/#!5757996/feel-the-love-in-these-elder-scrolls-skyrim-screens/gallery

Well it certainly seems big!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Completely missed it, but a slew of screenshots have been released for Skyrim:

http://kotaku.com/#!5757996/feel-the-love-in-these-elder-scrolls-skyrim-screens/gallery

Well it certainly seems big!

not seeing any new screens there, i think they've been out a few months no?

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    not seeing any new screens there, i think they've been out a few months no?
    You sure? I think a couple of them are old, but some - for instance the landscape shots - seem to be new.
    Sure no harm in having some gaming screenshots that don't involve boring brown corridors :D

Advertisement